New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      When the commercial version of Dr. Shore's device comes out, do you think that the less than 40 dB hearing loss requirement will still be a thing or is that just for the clinical study?

I suspect that is just a study requirement.

I touch just at 40 dB of hearing loss in my left ear at 8000 Hz, the rest of my hearing is below that threshold.

2. Paul1980

Paul1980 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, prescription drugs
      Here is the trial criteria:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03621735

Are you talking about a different trial? If not, then why are you worried about an MRI?

A lot of misinformation and misunderstanding on this forum... I can't say I haven't been guilty of it myself. But I notice people took modulation to mean quieting. Modulation does not mean quieting.

Yes, I advise people with tinnitus not to get an MRI unless absolutely medically necessary. I wouldn't even get one until you have a CT scan if for the purpose of ruling out other tinnitus causes.

Cheers.

3. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Rather harsh.

• Like Like x 3
    4. Tomas80

Tomas80 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow. Maybe stress?
      The trial treatment should last for 6 weeks. But the results are not expected until May 2022. Unbelievable how long it all takes. At this rate, it will be on the market in year 3500.

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. hurtingdream

hurtingdream Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002. Became worse 11/29/2015.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      That is the trial. I went to the interview and screening and they want me to get an MRI to rule out an acoustic neuroma.

6. Paul1980

Paul1980 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, prescription drugs
      That seems like a huge ask. An MRI machine can reach 110 dB levels for periods of time. You can wear 32 dB reduction earplugs, inserted properly, which I did, but I can tell you that I thought it made my tinnitus very slightly worse, and in the end I didn't have a positive MRI. Or, it might be my anxiety ramping up the tinnitus.

I find it hard to believe this study wants you to possibly do a procedure that can damage your hearing, so that they can study a remedy for tinnitus. On the other hand, if the device works, it would reduce any tinnitus you got from the MRI, which again, you probably won't get, but might.

I would ask if they would accept a CT, which can find an acoustic neuroma according to this.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. asey20
      Buzzed

asey20 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 13, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      I did an MRI last November and although my tinnitus was really loud while in the machine, it didn't affect my tinnitus afterwards. If anything it made it less worse because I got over my fear of noises which cannot harm me and my tinnitus continued to improve after that.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Dolgoruki

Dolgoruki Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      I did an MRI a couple months ago. I was wearing earplugs + earmuffs that they provided which made the experience manageable (although still stressful).

Personally I find loud high-frequency sounds to be the worst for my tinnitus, while the sounds in the MRI seemed to mostly be lower frequencies with a ton of thumping and banging.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Demigod

Demigod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus infection of inner ear
      I 've just had two done in the last 3 months, I had ear plugs on and I did not have any problems afterwards, not even a small spike. To be honest they were pretty modern MRI machines, so you should express your concerns to the radiologist and speak to him about it, they are also aware of the complications that the loud sound to the older MRI machines can have on some people.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      I've had an MRI with my tinnitus. To be honest, I was worried too but then they gave me earplugs and I almost fell asleep while in the machine. It was fine in the end.

• Like Like x 1
    11. asey20
      Buzzed

asey20 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 13, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      If anything, ask for a silent MRI or get into a 1.5T machine instead of a 3T machine. Those are also a bit quieter. Take NAC for a few days before and after.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Where are you guys getting your MRIs done? Mine was quiet.

13. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      An MRI made both my tinnitus and hyperacusis worse. Most people seem to be okay with them, but it is a risk. Probably less risky if the tinnitus wasn’t initially from an acoustic trauma.

14. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      MRI horror stories? You mean actually getting a date for one or the actual scan itself?

It's definitely claustrophobic. I'm a pretty big guy so when they first shot me inside they did it really fast and my shoulders were a bit pushed in and it freaked me out. After I knew what I was in for, I just kept my eyes closed and daydreamed about random stuff until it was done.

I'm actually more curious why you haven't had one yet. Your ENT and/or neurologist should have ordered one and a CT scan in order to rule out some obvious stuff. They never would have caught my condition - SSCD - without them.

As far as I'm concerned, what the Shore Lab is working on, is probably the best shot - at least in the near future - for a device to minimize or resolve tinnitus outright. So yeah, I'd say it's worth it.
      I got two done in two different places and they were both loud as hell. The CT scans were still loud but they were quieter comparatively. Just bring earplugs, not a big deal.

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    15. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Huh, there's a lot of specifics to this trial.

Inclusion Criteria:
      • Must report constant, subjective, preferably unilateral tinnitus without any active external or middle ear pathology.
      • No greater than a mild hearing loss up to 6 kHz, and no greater than a moderate hearing loss at the tinnitus frequencies.
      • Must be able to modulate their tinnitus with a somatic maneuver
      • Preferably onset of tinnitus less than one year ago, but present for at least 6 months. Tinnitus should be bothersome.
      • Absence of retrocochlear pathology/8th nerve lesion
      • No participation in a tinnitus treatment regimen within the past six months or participation in the University of Michigan stage 1 clinical trial.
      Exclusion Criteria:
      • Diagnosis of Meniere's disease
      • Diagnosis of Semicircular Canal Dehiscence
      • Unilateral or bilateral cochlear implant recipients
      • Diagnosis of acoustic neuroma
      • Evidence of retrocochlear disease
      • Certain medications and conditions (will be reviewed at screening)
      Well the dehiscence rules me out, dammit. They're also only looking for people who have somatosensory tinnitus. Still, if you can get in, it's worth a shot.

• Informative Informative x 2
    16. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I fit every criteria except that I've had bothersome tinnitus for over 2 years, but they are stating that it is a preference. The only potential exclusion criteria in my situation is being slightly over 100 miles away.

I recently sent them an email about the upcoming clinical trial anyway, so let's see what they say.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. frpp

frpp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj, Nihl, ototoxic drugs, nerve/ vascular issues
      Just from reading the criteria, this thing sounds like a bust and looks more and more like Susie's been milking UMichigan for all she can get. Lenire 2.0 incoming.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Demigod

Demigod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus infection of inner ear
      Has anybody, that was recently contacted by Dr. Shore's Lab, gotten into the trial?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      You're absolutely correct. I doubt it will work at all. Regenerative medicine is the way to go. Fixing the hearing loss will eliminate the tinnitus in most cases I suspect. The pill for hidden loss will deal with the others.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Jimmyboi

Jimmyboi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The inclusion criteria look reasonable to me, they've been upfront about targeting somatic tinnitus and the rest mainly rules out various other causes.

The only shame is the less than one year onset but it is only a preference, remember this has worked for people in the forum so I certainly hold out hope for more positive results.

21. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Yeah, but I'd rather have a working, tested product than something that was rushed out with terrible results.

22. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      Hasn't this thing been in development since the early 90s?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    23. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Not that long, but this is the home stretch.

I hope to God Dr. Shore's device will beat the crap out of Lenire.

24. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      Hopefully. That Lenire sounds like a total bust.

25. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      My piece of shit cochlea is too far gone for neuromodulation. Going to need to actually regenerate the cells.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Sure seems like it.

27. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The way they draw these things out is SO ridiculous. People are suffering, c’mon man.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
    28. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Totally agree. And for a damn device!? It's not like it's a drug. I actually don't pay much attention or hope in this method... It has been the least productive "chase" of a cure out of them all.

29. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      Honestly I think she is dragging it out on purpose. She will ride this out until she can retire and release it. I live in Michigan and have been to U of M for tinnitus care and to see an ENT. My whole experience was shit. I wouldn't recommend anyone go there.

• Like Like x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    30. Paul Walter

Paul Walter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Industrial noise
      I have just received notification from the University of Michigan that recruitment for a second trial for subjective tinnitus is now underway which I have enrolled.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is going to take part in this trial?

The concept is exciting. I hope it really works.

• Like Like x 9
      • Winner Winner x 1