Occlusion Effect from Earmuffs — Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Support' started by spikedears, Oct 7, 2018.

1. spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      Just a quick post asking for some advice on wearing ear muffs.

I have been wearing them a lot as my neighbour has building work going on next door.

They are fine when not communicating, but I notice earlier that when raising my voice to shout to my wife (over keys that she was looking for), the noise in the earmuffs shot up significantly. Testing on my sound meter the shout was around 92 dB. would this be louder in the muffs with the occlusion effect or is it nothing to be concerned over?

I can feel a little fullness but then I have a cold and am in the second day of recovering post-migraine.

Help, education and comments most appreciated!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @spikedears

You are asking for nothing but trouble overusing earmuffs and other forms of hearing protection including earplugs. These devices have their uses and can be beneficial when used properly. However, you are literally playing with fire despite what advocates of hearing protection may tell you. Suppressing normal everyday sounds using these things is not good and you could be stacking up problems for the future. I am serious about this especially when the tinnitus was originally caused by exposure to loud noise. Please click on the links below and read my posts.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-complexities-of-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis.25733/

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The occlusion effect isn't as bad with earmuffs as it is with earplugs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      Thanks @Alue

I find the musicians earplugs to not be as bad as muffs. I have used the ACS range.

Do you find the occlusion effect a problem? Does it spike T?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      Thanks @Michael Leigh for your feedback and information.

Whilst I understand in theory what you are saying and largely agree, I feel trapped between that as an end point and everyday noises and spikes that make it hard to function.

I’m trying to fight each day and wouldn’t feel able without protection to certain elevated noises.

6. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I wear earplugs a lot when working in moderately noisy areas. I do find it bothersome sometimes when I find myself having to raise my voice, but it's still better than the constant noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      I agree.

I’m just concerned that I’ve spiked and made things worse momentarily raising voice/shouting.

Praying it settles

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Have you considered Noise Cancelling Headphones?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      Hi @GregCA I have no experience with these. Are they more effective than earmuffs?

Less occlusion?

10. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      If I wore muffs or plugs all the time my T really would drive me nuts. Its bad enough as it is.

However, you must protect your ears from exposure from further damage around loud noises. You just need to become more alert to when a loud noise could happen.

For instance, I can't predict when the dog will bark right under me. But on the other end of predictability, If I'm driving and see an emergency vehicle coming I know that it will be loud and I'll protect my ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'd say about the same occlusion. As for effectiveness, it depends on what you measure, and the kinds of sounds you are trying to cancel out. I find them less bulky and lighter than earmuffs, so easier to carry around. I also like that I can play music at low volume in them.

12. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      O' I use them a lot. The Bose quiet comfort headphones are great. Normally I use them in loud environments with earplugs underneath them.

13. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Au contraire, monsieur Leigh... You are asking for nothing but trouble by not using noise protection. Noise is a fact of life and can – and will – occur at some point (to anyone and everyone). Just this week, I have had two folks contact me because of traumas that undid their otherwise liveable tinnitus condition. Of course, I have known that wisdom for some time – and – unlike you, my tinnitus is so mild I have to search for it (even in a quiet setting). The secret? Well, those who pay attention to my content will know that I advocate hearing protection. And I still use that to this day. According to your logic, I should be suffering from significant tinnitus and hyperacusis by now from all those years of protecting my ears. But... I am not. And unlike you, I am not stuck here on TT 24/7 repeating your regurgitated mantras like a broken record.

I wonder how many members of this community actually pause and think why someone who considers themselves habituated would stay around TinnitusTalk all week posting at all hours of the day (and night). Simply put: you don't appear like a credible source for the habituated – when – in addition you rely on crutches such as benzos, magnetic stimulation, and St. John's Wort to get through the day. And... oh... did I forget to mention you are medically retired? Because of tinnitus???

I have rarely met a loser of a magnitude such as yours. Indeed, solely because of you, I wonder if having a loser personality is acquired or given. I am starting to think the latter – and when the "loser gene" is one day identified, it could rightly be named the ML-gene...

• Like Like x 2
    14. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      @attheedgeofscience

Greetings. I havent been on here for a long while. I'd like to agree with @attheedgeofscience about protecting. I have been protecting my left ear for years now with a plug - almost constantly - No Hyperacussis and the Tinnitus settled down.

However about a month ago I got a loud blast of a Speaker in my ear at a darts exhibition and the T has become more reactive and loud. Despite using an ear plug.

Its impossible to avoid loud sounds completely when out and about. Inevitable it will happen.

Also and this is the biggest factor of all - The dentist.... It is unavoidable that one will have to go to the dentist at some point and you cant plug for that. For those of us with reactive tinnitus this could be a game changer.

In short - Plugging can work very well but it cant save you long term. Ultimately noise will rule the day it's inevitable.

Lets hope Susan Shore delivers the goods - I am back where I was 4 years ago now and trying to climb the mountain again.

I am happy I got those 4 years though - I really enjoyed them - I had a ball to be honest.... No regrets. I ended up getting caught but it was worth it for so much fun I had over those years - Its coming to the time when I will have to see a dentist and that will be the end of my run for sure.... My Tinnitus is very reactive to noise and wont stand the drill.

If I could give any advice to someone with Reactive Tinnitus it is to Plug up - Live your life for as long as you can before it worsens - Squeeze as much as you can out of life... Its all you can do.

Living in fear and protecting an evaluating is no life. I may have only gotten 4 years out of it but it was the best 4 years of my life and I loved every minute of it.

As for the future - Who knows - Its out of my hands. I wont be hanging around just for the sake of it though...

Grab what you can when you can and remember the Honey Story

"Guy falls off a cliff and just manages to hang on.
      After about an hour his arm gets very sore.
      He looks over to the left and sees a small hollow in the rock and swings over to it.
      Inside he sees some honey.
      He puts his hand in and tastes the honey and it tastes great.
      .... "

Moral of the story - If he didnt swing over to the left he wouldnt have tasted the honey....

Thats what most of us are faced with. We may never climb back up but keep an eye out for that honey

I ate all of mine and boy it tasted good

• Hug Hug x 2
    15. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @RCP1 can you mask your tinnitus?

16. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Look for a dentist that uses a laser drill.

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @spikedears , please do yourself a favour and ignore Michael Leigh's advice. Building work next door seems like a good reason to protect your ears. Just make sure that you get some exposure to normal noises. Watching TV at moderate volume ought to do it. As for your question - the next time you need to yell, remember to take off your muffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Agreed. Construction is not considered 'normal, everyday' sounds.

• Like Like x 2