Otoharmonics (The Levo® Therapy System for Tinnitus)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by jazz, May 17, 2014.

1. Tigo

Tigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      genetic hearing loss
      Otoharmonics, developers of the Levo Tinnitus System, has reached an exclusive agreement with Elite Hearing Network—a network of independent hearing care providers that is part of Amplifon USA—to provide the Levo System to its 1,600+ network members, the companies jointly announced.

Levo System of tinnitus sound therapy

“Elite Hearing Network is well-known for its simplified purchasing and personalized operational support to hearing healthcare providers,” said Michael Baker, president and CEO of Otoharmonics. “While those suffering from tinnitus probably aren’t thinking about the business side of care, we know that a well-run practice frees clinicians to focus their time and attention on delivering superior patient care.”

With this partnership, patients throughout North America will be able to seek prescription of the Levo System through Elite Hearing Network providers who offer the system.

“We are pleased to be the only buying group in North America to offer the Levo System’s evidence-based tinnitus management solution,” said Mary Anne Stangby, senior vice president of Elite Hearing Network. “This is a tremendous opportunity for Elite members and the patients they serve.”

The Levo System by Otoharmonics utilizes a neuroscience-based approach and is designed to provide a personalized, patented sound therapy to be utilized by tinnitus patients while they sleep, according to the company. The Levo System is designed to work by identifying and mapping an individual’s unique sound print using custom-fit ear buds and proprietary software on Apple iPad® and iPod® touch mobile digital devices.

2. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
    3. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      currently unknown, conductive hearing loss suspected
      wait till you see the price tag. the fact that "patented" and by definition proprietary technology is used will up the price considerably. particularly as the tinnitus clinic are involved in the uk distribution chain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Dma

Dma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      A waste of money, did it my ears got worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Dizzyhead888

Dizzyhead888 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical mistake
      Why do you think your ears got worse?because using the ear phones?

What was their feedback - Did they provide a refund?

6. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      FDA cleared doesn't mean it works, it just means there's low risk it will hurt you.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Did anyone out there ever more try this system? I counted 2 people so far who have said that it has helped them. Either a lot, or a little. And @Dma who has said that it made his ears worse. Did the sound ever return to baseline after this for you?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      nice idea. not sure that it justifies the price though. pretty much the same thing could potentially be achieved with off the shelf, readily available, cheap as chips tech.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've just started using the Widex Zen sounds, an app that is free. This has really helped my more than anything else I have tried in years and it's easy and free.

10. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Ambassador I also have that app on my device, in addition I use mynoise quite often( what I like particularly about the latter is the range of soundscapes etc available and the degree of flexibility the app affords)..

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      So today I found this: https://otoharmonics.com/tinnitus/

And to be honest, I'm not even surprised anymore. What is this device? It's yet another tinnitus device that doesn't actually do anything. It's a device that "emulates" tinnitus sounds so people can habituate quicker. 1) Why would I need to have something that generates my tinnitus sound when I have you know... my tinnitus? 2) The site says that being told to "get used to it" isn't an acceptable answer and they're right. But then they go and say the goal of this is to help people habituate. That's LITERALLY what habituation is. They weren't stupid with this choice of words, they're just scammers.

All this for the reasonable price of... $5,700!? (https://www.janlmayes.com/levo-system-new-tinnitus-therapy/) If it cost a few hundred that would be fine but that's more than Desynchra, and Desynchra actually does something.

What I'm saying here, is that there are WAY too many scams plaguing tinnitus sufferers, and some take on a professional facade like this one. I get that every medical condition has it's Jastreboffs but we have way more than one. Tinnitivix, Ring Relief, TRT, Levo, TinniFree, Tinnitus Control, and many many more. I want to be mad, but at this point I'm just desensitized to all the people preying on tinnitus sufferers. To suffer tinnitus also comes with suffering from predators. I'm just sad it has to be like this :(

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    12. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Aaaand there it is.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Creative Creative x 1
    13. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      Yeah these things are way overpriced for what they actually are. Especially considering how polarising they are for people who have paid up the cash for them. Some people I've spoken to claim they really helped them, others not so much. It's a lot of money to throw away for some people with no guarantee of any positive results.

• Agree Agree x 3
    14. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      "The Levo System, an FDA-cleared medical device, is designed to mimic the specific sound of a patient’s individual tinnitus, the system’s developer, Otoharmonics, announced. The patient is instructed to listen to the Sound Match nightly through custom-fit ear buds while sleeping. Over time, according to Otoharmonics, the brain is said to naturally learn to “ignore” the tinnitus sound, to improve the patient’s quality of life."
      http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/articles/tinnitus-treatment-with-sound-stimulation-during-sleep.pdf

I'm sure that somebody will eventually come out with something just as effective, or better, for a small fraction of the price that they're charging for this.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Andrei90
      Depressed

Andrei90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud music (earphones)
      $6,000 for another habituation device? Please take my money now!

D850BF17-AB45-49E1-81C6-B5F989A9ADCB.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I'm sure everyone's just lining up U_U

17. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      My habitation came for free :)

18. Daniel95
      Tired

Daniel95 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Approximately 01/10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/sinus Infection/headphones/maybe antibiotics
      What's with all these prices? I'm worried that if or when any real treatment comes out its gonna cost us both legs and an arm because of them pumping up the prices.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I've read quite a few statements in here about people who stated they'd rather be without limbs than having T: this is a great opportunity for them!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      yes these scams have done way more harm than good. If these didn't exist before a treatment, then someone selling a treatment would have to test with a low price. Now they have a good idea what we're willing to pay. $4,000-$7,000. And if were willing to pay that for a scam, imagine what we're willing to pay for a treatment.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      most expensive IPOD in history

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    23. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Doesn't even play anything good.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    24. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      upload_2018-5-3_19-33-19.png
      This device in a nutshell, but seriously guys

I genuinely want to know why this is considered a treatment?

I wonder how many tinnitus treatments would exist if we didn't count methods that exclusively focus on desensitizing of the limbic system?

Virtually nothing serious! Mild reduction would include deep relaxation techniques, neck jaw massages and therapy (TMJ only), and those extremely expensive neuro modulation devices.

I'm waiting for that grand day when Frequency Therapeutics is listed as treatment.

• Winner Winner x 1
    25. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      This is a good study I was reading.

I did have one question as I may be confusing myself. In the study they refer to "noise stimulus". Is this something like AudioNotch or something else?

https://aja.pubs.asha.org/article.aspx?articleid=2661617

This study seems flawed to me so I am not really looking to argue the value of LEVO or not here :)

Thanks all!!!

26. John Young
      Dumb

John Young Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April, 30th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see no convincing evidence that these very expensive iPods do anything that any other cheap affordable sound playing device can do. Sound is sound and not some mysterious medicine. I use my iPhone and have several sound files that seem to help me and use sleep phones to listen while asleep, it does "seem" to help and at almost no cost.

28. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I am guessing a lot of it has to do with cost. It's a decent amount of money for people especially without guaranteed results.

Personally I have appointments coming up this month to try some of these therapies. I can post my results ....

29. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What matters (and costs) isn't the device delivering the sound: like you said, an iPod/iPhone/other and headphones/buds/etc are perfectly adequate to deliver sound therapy. In fact, some of these therapies do use these exact devices (iPods) to deliver their therapies.

What matters is the actual sound delivered: it needs to be engineered to target the patient's T, which means you can't get those sounds off the shelf from somewhere. They are crafted for the patient based on the patient's T frequency.

30. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The problem with that is the only way to come up with those specific engineered sounds for each it the complete reliance on the patient being able to accurately identify their frequency match. A very difficult if not impossible thing to do. I've been trying to get a solid match for years, I can get close but close really isn't good enough. My opinion only.