Otonomy OTO-313 — Treatment of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Michael Larsen, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      They only took patients with acute tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Even if it only treats the acute folks, we are one step closer. Sucks for most of us though.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      poss ototoxicity/unknown/BVVP diagnosed first then tinnitus
      I wanted to wait until my time in the trial ended and the trial was closed for recruiting to speak here since I saw a few here were scared off trying it.

The study is triple masked so I may not ever know if I got drug or placebo. I barely made the cutoff last year for 12 months for screening.

My tinnitus was severe for a year, and it went through all kinds of crazy fluctuations from pure tone EEE to white noise, electric noises to cicadas to high pitch hissing like a water heater. Not overexaggerating when I say I will have PTSD the rest of my life from the tinnitus. It was in my left ear and could hear it outside standing besides 6 lanes of traffic and out at the pool with 5 kids splashing and playing, over my radio turned up to 20 while driving wouldn't cover it up. I took off almost 3 months of work on disability, unable to function from the tinnitus, crying daily and had positional left sided vertigo as well. When people would tell me "oh yeah I have that too, from a concert etc." I would look at them like they were crazy and think to myself the fuck you do while I just nodded uh-huh. Just reiterating I was not a case that was mild in any way or form. The extended audiogram I did with a university here measured the tinnitus at 56 dB and it was not maskable at all from 2 different places I tried.

Back to the trial...

They put numbing gel in my ear and I sat there about 15 minutes. It was suctioned out which I didn't like after hearing all the microsuction horror stories here. After that was done I got the shot and it was a little painful but nothing worse than getting cortisone shots in my feet previously years ago which was excruciating. I went home and the 2 nights trying to sleep were not fun because my ear canal itched like crazy and I had a little pain, but the itching was worse. I kept reading the studies on when people saw improvement and was discouraged a bit until about 2 weeks later. I noticed I started sleeping better. I had struggled a year even with meds getting 2-3 hours sleep and waking up. Coincidentally, I did try CBD/THC gummies also, but as I would explain crying to my mom "my brain wouldn't turn off" to allow sleep. The more my sleep started improving, the better the tinnitus got.

I would always meet the researcher in a tiny room, separate from the regular exam rooms. My first visit before the shot I would sit there thinking OMG, this is so loud! I can hardly concentrate answering this questionnaire! Then every time I would visit her again I would notice it wasn't as loud as previously in the room and I wasn't as distressed as the first visit. It was the same with the hearing exams.

I don't know if it was the drug or time that helped me because I won't know if I received it and neither will anyone else that participated, because it is triple blinded. I am a number in a report. I did joke with the doctor and researcher that if I did get drug that perhaps a few more shots might help even more lol. I am also not as young as some of the other members that reported here of their experiences. I am 47 years old. I have no significant hearing loss and I have never had an ear infection, loud noise exposure, ear problem or head injury. My tinnitus started from probably taking too much pain medication and I awoke one day with left sided positional vertigo and then the tinnitus started about 2 weeks later.

I would say I have moderate tinnitus today. I usually rest at around a 5 out of 10 but rarely I will get a day it's 3 out of 10 and it is still in my conscious thought audible about 70% of my day.

I would like to try other things next, like Lenire, Susan Shore's device or anything else coming down the pipeline to get me to the next "mild" step.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 13
      • Hug Hug x 5
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    4. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Thanks @LostinTX for the update. This is the problem with acute cases, it could be just the result of time. But I’m glad to hear you’re doing better.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Thanks for that. Did it help with your tinnitus tones?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    6. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I go back and forth between a ring and a hiss now. Sometimes the hiss will oscillate. I have never had the white noise machine or cicada sounds return (thank God because those were horribly loud and the worst), but that was prior to the shot. The rare low days I get a sound almost like a tinkering bell far away.

• Like Like x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      That’s awesome! Did the bad tones dissipate right after the injection?

I would be happy with any improvement plus it protecting from tinnitus getting worse haha.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, the tones had disappeared prior to the injection, but the overall volume went down. Still not where I want to be yet. Goal is "only hear in silence" etc. :)

• Like x 6
      • Agree x 3
      • Optimistic x 2
      • Winner x 1
      • Friendly x 1
    9. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Awesome... let’s get there ;)

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
    10. Geatly

Geatly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, by jackhammering into concrete on constructio
      The goal should be not to hear tinnitus at all.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pretty sure that's everyone's goal here. I should have stated my **NEXT** goal. Cheers.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    12. scotty03874

scotty03874 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to the ear / Leading to more issues after ear surgery
      I agree hearing loss is tinnitus's best friend. As my hearing got worse, so did my tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. ThomasF
      Creative

ThomasF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably loud music
      It's wonderful news that there was any improvement at all. Congratulations, hopefully this is a path to success.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    14. Hottopic29

Hottopic29 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zithromycin acoustic trauma 2022
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @LostinTX, happy for your good experience with the OTO-313. Would you do the treatment again if you got the chance?

How do they test possible improvement before and after treatment? Only THI and a hearing test? How much would you say that your THI has improved?

The tinnitus you had sounds very much like mine. Could you feel that it was reactive to certain sounds as well? Did you perceive you tinnitus in the ears or head? I assume taking a shower did mask it?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I think this compound will be active for weeks close to the oval window. It is administered via a gel that stays behind the eardrum and cochlea for a long time. I hope that make all the difference.

There are so many animal studies indicating this should work to calm down the overexcited neurons. The key is to get the right amount of the antagonist for the right amount of time.

I think the higher amount of OTO-313 (0.64 ml) that they will test later this year will show to have much better effect. It might also be that some people will need multiple treatments with the lower dose.

How likely is it that FDA can fast track this if everything goes well with Phase 2?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      They did a study a while back where the patients had a catheter in their middle ear that would dispense Gacyclidine but I think it’s a different formulation.

18. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Wouldn’t it be the same?

19. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      I thought that's what this was being tested for? I thought that's what this entire thing was about.

20. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They are testing it for different causes that are one-sided. I mentioned that because I had no noise trauma or ear infection as those are most common cases usually. Something happened to my left ear (possibly medication) causing left-sided vertigo and then tinnitus in that ear. I don't know what happened, and neither do doctors. My guess is though something aggravated the nerve or synapse were affected. Gacyclidine in OTO-313 is NMDA receptor antagonist and supposed to calm down the overactivity in the nerve firings from what I understand.

• Hug Hug x 2
    21. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm sorry, I missed your question. Yes, they tested my THI in the office visits and I had to do a daily digital diary rating loudness and annoyance. I would guess my THI improved about 15 pts but I don't know as they didn't share the data with me directly.

I would 100% do the shot again or even several times a year if it was the effect of me getting relief.

I was reactive in the beginning of tinnitus for about 3 months and had to wear earplugs drying my hair, walking my dogs because they bark a lot getting ready and vacuuming or noisy kids around. I had a few times it felt in my head in the beginning, but it's always been 24/7 my left ear. I feel as time has moved on it is intermittent in my right (good) ear too, but not very noticeable unless my head is on a pillow. I've mostly slept on my right (good ear) side for over a year now.

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 3
    22. Flowergirl
      Pensive

Flowergirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure / prob a virus

• Informative Informative x 1
    23. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      More good news lol, they moved back OTO-313 results till August. So no more June results.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. star-affinity
      Wishful

star-affinity Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, increase in 2020, then new in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure about the first. Too many beers? Music during sleep.
      Typical. :(

My main, quality of life affecting tinnitus is over a year old wow, so it has all moved to the brain, right? Time to give hope to Psilocybin once the pills are approved? :D

As long as it doesn’t make things worse I’m up for anything... I hope OTO-313 will work for over a year cases too. Please. Pretty please.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Tell me about it. This will be my 6th year with tinnitus. After so long you get used to waiting. I think it will help everyone. Would do less for longer cases but could still tone it down, and that’s what matters.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    26. star-affinity
      Wishful

star-affinity Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, increase in 2020, then new in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure about the first. Too many beers? Music during sleep.
      I wonder if OTO-313 might also help for the other symptoms mentioned in this article:

”...a constellation of symptoms that include not just hearing loss but also ringing in the ears, sound sensitivity, a feeling of aural fullness and even chronic ear pain.”

That ringing in your ears? Don’t assume it will just fade away.

I have all of those symptoms in my left ear. :(

Plus that piercing feeling that someone has described as ”lasers om the head”. And also sometimes a little oscillation up in pitch for a second.

Sometimes It’s almost as if the tinnitus sound isn’t the most bothersome. The fullness is really irritating – constantly being aware of the ear. I guess it's all of them together that make it even harder to habituate. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
    27. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Hi!

Does anyone know in which European clinics (countries) OTO-313 was tested in Phase 2?

After they release the results of the trial, is there any chance OTO-313 can be accessed through compassionate use?

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    28. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      My fullness is gone right now but when there is pain it really makes it so much harder to ignore the tinnitus. I've gotten pretty good at blocking out the tinnitus MOST of the time now and really just stopped caring about it too much but just certain times like trying to sleep when there's pain is tough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Poland for sure, they did test it in my hometown.

30. Geatly

Geatly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, by jackhammering into concrete on constructio
      Wow, I thought they had clinical trials only in the USA. Since I am from north Slovakia, this is fascinating for me. What town was that?