Otonomy OTO-413 — Treatment of Hidden Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Michael Larsen, Jan 9, 2018.

1. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      There's three things I'd say in relation to this.

1. OTIPRIO is still a fairly new medicine and as a result I think it will take time to get a bigger market and bigger demand. For example you cannot get it in countries like Australia yet. As a result if availability is limited to just US at present then this is really going to limit the amount of money it generates.

2. The funding issue might seem concerning in the short term, however I think that it is still too premature to assume that this therefore means a questionable outlook for Otonomy. One thing that I think we will see is further funding from other sources such as shareholders as you have stated if they have success with other medicines or clinical trials.

The other thing worth noting is that they have reached the agreement with the Japanese company Kyorin to do the OTO-6XX clinical trials. There seems to be a real likelihood that Kyorin would know Otonomy could get the clinical trials done for OTO-6XX as it is almost unfathomable to think that Kyorin would sign an agreement with another company who couldn't get this done. They seem to also have the cash available to do the Phase 2 clinical trials for both OTO-413 and OTO-313.

3. I reckon that part of the reason Otonomy has stated that they only have 2 years of cash available is for accurate stock and financial reporting.

2. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Anyone reckon Big Pharma such as Astellas will buy the rights of OTO-413 etc? I feel like OTO-413 is Otonomy's most promising drug that would complement with FX-322.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Aaron91
      In pain

Aaron91 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/headphones/concerts
      It may be the case that some of us here need both these drugs, so let's hope not, because there is a history of drug companies buying up biotechs with innovative treatments (at least in Europe, don't know about the US) in order to make sure a potential competitor never reaches the market. Obviously we're talking about rights here, which is slightly different, although still somewhat applicable depending on how far the rights go.

• Informative Informative x 3
    4. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      Not likely. Usually distribution agreements include a non-conflict clause where both parties agree not to work with direct competitors.

Otonomy probably already has either their own preferred international manufacturer or US-based contract manufacturer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. patorjk

patorjk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      I noticed that last night the following Otonomy employees were given these stock options: [1]

David Weber (CEO) - 500k at $5.2 (per share)
      Michael Savel (CTO) - 150k at $5.2
      Paul Cayer (CFO) - 250k at $5.2

Something similar happened at Frequency Therapeutics the day before: [2]

Christopher Loose (CSO) - 70k at $35.85
      David Lucchino (CEO) - 200k at $35.85
      Wendy Arnold (CPO) - 75k at $35.85
      Carl LeBel (CDO) - 75k at $35.85
      Charles Dana (CMO) - 70k at $35.85
      Peter Pfreundschuh - 10k at $35.85

I'm not sure if it's standard practice to give stock options before trial results, but I've heard that options at market price are a good sign since it encourages management to make the company successful and better cements certain employees into the company.

It may be a mistake to read too deeply into this (especially since there's no way to affect the trial at this point), but at least it is a sign that there is a strong incentive in place for success.

[1] https://investors.otonomy.com/sec-filings
      [2] https://investors.frequencytx.com/sec-filings

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      Non-issue. They’re options awarded to execs. Keeps them focused on growing the business. The Frequency Therapeutics options don’t fully vest until 2025, so they’re just paper right now.

7. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
    8. Drachen
      Irritated

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; awaiting evaluation
      Has there been any further news on the progress of establishing the next clinical trial?

I'm really hoping for this marvel to move along as smoothly (if not moreso) than FX-322...

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. patorjk

patorjk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      I watched it when it first came out, no new news that I remember.

I think Otividex is their main priority right now. Once the jury is in on that drug, they'll probably lay out their plans for OTO-313 and OTO-413 (and hopefully OTO-6XX).