Overview: Promising Future Treatments for Tinnitus and Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Erlend, Mar 16, 2014.

1. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      "Dr. Kaltenback will use funding from ATA to explore three particularly promising chemical compounds as potential drug candidates, to target specific neural receptors related to the brain hyperactivity which underlies tinnitus. This work builds off of his previous research and could accelerate the development of commercially-available medications to silence tinnitus."

Is this similar to Autifony? And also three different promising compounds. Sounds good to me but I don't know much when it comes to science.

• Informative Informative x 2
    2. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      As I (slowly) adjust to the permanency of tinnitus, I'd like to retain a glimmer of hope that there will be a solid treatment for noise induced tinnitus in the next 5 years. Something that reliably lowers the volume so that it's less wearing, or modifies your response to it while allowing you to retain most of your daily autonomy (I'd happily accept having to be less mentally dexterous every day, work a simple job, and have silence right now).

As far as I can see, these are the most promising treatments presently and coming up:

AM-101 - phase 3 Q4 2014
      AUT00036 - phase 2, Q1 2015
      Retigabine - TT forum trials, Q4 2014
      Otonomy - phase 1, Q? 2015

Are there any other potentials in the near future?

* Stem cell treatments
      * Gene therapy for hair cell regrowth
      * Any other treatments I'm not aware of

You can buy the chemical that regrows the hair cells in rats, but without concomitant injection of stem cells into the cochlear, you aren't reproducing the trial.

@attheedgeofscience and anyone else with some forward looking information. Please chime in.

• Like Like x 2
    3. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. Jameson
      Artistic

Jameson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones, probably.
      Hi,

Could you please help me. I would like an overview of all known pharmacological treatments in clinical testing or planned for testing.

I know of the ones carried out by Autifony, Auris and Otonomy. Are there others?

Thank you in advance.

5. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)

Attached Files:

6. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      VNS (Vagus Nerve Stimulation) and DBS (Deep Brain Stimulation) aims to treat chronic tinnitus.
      Autifony claims to be aiming towards chronic tinnitus but phase 1 is for sub-acute cases so we really don't know.
      I guess HIFU also is for chronic tinnitus.
      And then there is AM-102 which is said to be for chronic tinnitus but that one is only in the pre-clinical stage now.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Funny enough, 1 day after you posted this, Laser Zentrum Hannover made a press release about their 3D printed cochlea implant using Laser Additive Manufacturing (LAM) technology. Moreover, "they are developing implants that change their shape due to temperature changes during the surgery and shall thus make the insertion much easier."

Impossible? Let's not beat ourselves up before we even begin to explore the possibilities. What's possible has already been done. It's the impossible that's interesting and that gives rise to our curiosity and gives way for progress. It's what makes us human.

Give it time. If they can create a tiny 3D printed cochlea, I'm sure they can devise a way to build a full cochlea.

• Like Like x 3
    8. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This may seem like an odd question, after all, don't all of these things listed here treat tinnitus? Well many do, but more often than not, "treatment" is not for tinnitus. The Gabapentin I recently stopped taking wasn't for tinnitus, it was prescribed to treat my anxiety/depression. The worthless procedure of CBT is also not a tinnitus treatment, but an anxiety treatment.

Things like TCAs and benzos are used for anxiety and somewhat tinnitus to give an example. So, my question is what therapies or drugs are used specifically FOR tinnitus? Not anxiety, not depression, not coping, and not habituation. What will actually antagonize the hyperactivity in the auditory cortex? What will actually lessen the sound and not just reduce its perception?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      Nothing... there aren't yet drugs that have been approved for the treatment of tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I also included therapies

11. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I guess TRT, but I think it’s success is questionable. Meaning: did patients improve because of TRT or because of simply the passage of time?

It’s not unlike other conditions. There are some conditions with no cure, so doctors try to lessen the symptoms. For example, if tinnitus is the condition and depression is the symptom, there are treatment options for depression.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think CBT is a scam. Stop pouring money into it and work on things like rTMS instead

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Chiming in here to say that CBT did not help me with my tinnitus, but other things.
      I think the idea of using behavioral therapy to treat issues that are mainly physical is a bad idea, and I don't like how so many doctors recommend it above more serious treatments.

• Like Like x 1
    14. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      TRT is a meme.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Who is pouring money into CBT who could instead invest in working on rTMS? Do you mean researchers? I did not think there was a lot of research going on regarding CBT.

And I do agree that CBT does not work for every condition, but nor would rTMS address every cause of depression.

16. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I don't know. I think that getting rid of the tinnitus would, you know, get rid of the depression caused by it.

17. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Right, but I’m not talking about only physical causes. There are other conditions (loss of loved one, difficult childhood, etc.) where rTMS would not address the cause. CBT is not only for tinnitus. Editing to add that it’s not even specifically for tinnitus treatment. TRT is but not CBT alone.

Are we saying rTMS can cure tinnitus? It would not do anything for my hearing loss.

18. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      True but We're talking about treatments for tinnitus. The main problem is all the working """""treatments""""" so far only addressed the stress caused by tinnitus. That's why I felt your comment was out of place here; not because it actually is (It definitely fits in here) but because it should be. CBT needs to be taken out of the conversation for tinnitus treatment.

As for other things sure it works. But for medical issues it really doesn't do anything. Notice how we don't call masking tinnitus "fixing it". Same logic applies here.

19. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Gl0w0ut Yesterday I listed most of the successful treatments for somatic tinnitus that I found from PubMed and professional studies.

Interesting in the days of super computers, there isn't a complete databank of tinnitus causes matched with most successful treatments. Major league baseball and football have complied millions of statistics into a computer program. By a search an announcer can within a second know how many incomplete passes over 20 yards a certain quarterback made. That also can be narrowed to exact yardage average over 20 yards, receiving player, against what team, the quarter of play, on the road or at home.

• Like Like x 2
    20. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Ah, now I see. Yes, I agree. I had originally mentioned TRT but Equalizer brought up CBT, which is why I went that direction. They’re not exactly the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I may be depressed but that's only because if the tinnitus. I don't expect grieving people to use rTMS. I hate to be toxic but surely you can process what I'm saying better than that. I only care about TINNITUS, not depression that isn't related. Stop using CBT or TRT.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I thought you asked for therapies specific to tinnitus. I mentioned TRT, you mentioned CBT. They are not the exact same thing.

But like I said before, I question the success of TRT. And I do not think CBT cures nor treats tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I think the main issue people have with these are the fact that it puts a bandaid over the issue. It sucks that there's nothing that can be done to actually help the issue at hand.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Agreed. Unfortunately this is what happens when we lack cures: we try to treat the symptoms.

We cannot cure terminal cancer, but doctors try to lessen the symptoms. We cannot cure tinnitus, so doctors recommend we try to treat the symptoms. This happens with many conditions.

Obviously curing the condition would take away the symptoms. But we cannot yet do that, so we are stuck with what we can do.

This is why I do not think we should criticize people who are trying to treat their symptoms. They’re doing what they can with what they have to work with. Would I prefer a cure? Absolutely! So what does treating my anxiety do? It helps me make it through each day, giving me a much better chance of still being here when a hearing loss cure or better treatment is available.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. Charles_T
      Insomnious

Charles_T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity or Benzo Withdrawal
      Hi Everyone,

I recently was diagnosed with Sudden Onset Tinnitus and High Frequency Hearing Loss back in June of this year which has devastated my life/career as I have a job that is solely based on the phone. The Doctors and ENT's have all told me there is no cure and nothing I can do about it except get hearing aids or Tinnitus Therapy and I would and hopefully will be able to afford to someday but they cost too much money for me to afford currently with no health coverage from my insurance company.

I was wondering if anyone in the forum knew of possible release date or progress for a tinnitus drug that would either get rid of the tinnitus or significantly reduce the sound since I have read this week there are at least 10 drug trials underway currently. I wanted to start a thread that listed any information about possible release dates and info on any upcoming tinnitus drugs/treatments and any success of any clinical trials to help spur hope for us all that are suffering from tinnitus. Hope is worth more than anything! If they came out with a cure even in the next 5 years I would be so happy and could look at it this condition like a temporary problem instead of looking at it like a life sentence. I know Stem Cells are also a very interesting topic with alot of positive momentum. Any information would be greatly appreciated and I think that if there is some drug coming out in the next few years even it would give us all hope who are having a hard time coping with this very disturbing and annoying condition. Any information would be greatly appreciated as I know there are some extremely intelligent people on this forum with big hearts so I check this site multiple times a day. I feel like Tinnitus doesn't get the attention it should from the medical companies. When I told my family I had it most of them said it couldn't be that bad, thought I was crazy and also had never heard of the condition. Im heading to Stanford Hospital in Palo Alto next week to see them about Tinnitus and find out what I find out about there research if they will share with me I will share with the forum anything I can find out about there research if they let me know. I am trying to book my appointment with one of the researchers who are leading up the project that I listed below.

SICL Project Stanford Hospital

https://hearinglosscure.stanford.edu/

The goal of SICHL is to devise treatments that repair the damaged inner ear and restore lost hearing, quiet tinnitus, and improve balance.

Any info on any tinnitus drugs currently under trial would be greatly appreciated my friends!

Thanks!

• Like Like x 3
    26. Nina Saleh

Nina Saleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably neck pain, stress, sleep issues
      @Charles_T all the current drugs in the market don't treat or cure Tinnitus.. most of them is scam but few people mentioned that some of those drugs effect is only lowering the T Tone like Tinnitus formula which is a combination of Gingko Biloba, Garlic and Zinc..

Regarding your visit to Stanford Hospital, if you were lucky to find any useful info, please share it in the forum .. Good luck

27. Dizzyhead888

Dizzyhead888 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical mistake
      I am not new to tinnitus. I know there is no cure currently. However, its good to look forward for something.

What are the most promising treatments/cures in the pipeline that we can look forward too?
      I came across otonomy 311.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    28. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Otonomy 311 looks likely to be for acute only tinnitus (sudden). Unfortunately it looks likely this won't do much for chronic, established tinnitus. It's still to be confirmed however.

Other things you can research

- Susan Shore signal timing
      - Inner hair cell regeneration (Frequency Tx, Decibel Therapeutics)
      - Xen-1101

• Like Like x 1
    29. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      tinnitus and hearing loss are life threatening because they cause suicide

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. Balmy

Balmy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not 100% sure. Probably acoustic trauma.
      Hello, all. This is my first post here after lurking a lot this summer. I just had some questions about my specific case and potential future treatment options.

Here's the rundown on my situation:

- My tinnitus started in 2012, with spikes in 2015 and 2020. To this day I don't know exactly what caused my tinnitus, but I suspect acoustic trauma. The 2015 spike was from a gaming headset (moronic, I know) and I have no idea what caused the 2020 spike but I suspect it may be the Stelara I take for Crohn's disease. I don't even know if it's ototoxic though tbh.

- I have been blessed with tinnitus that includes both a high and low frequency.

- I have visual snow as well as hyperacusis in both ears

- I have the sensation of fullness in both ears all the time

- On a standard audiogram, I don't show any hearing loss and my audiologist tells me I have "excellent hearing". I'm totally aware this does not at all mean I don't have hearing damage that isn't detectable by a standard test. I'm sure I do.

- My high frequency tinnitus tone is somatic and can altered with movements of my jaw.

- The low tone is really low and in a very quiet environment it literally feels like there's an engine in my head and I feel my head vibrating. I've seen others on here with a similar sound but it seems fairly rare.

My question is which treatment options that are on the horizon should I be focused on? Also, is there any evidence low frequency tinnitus has causes that differ from the classic high pitched tinnitus? I wonder if certain treatments in the future would only treat one of my tones.