Piracetam for the Treatment of (Acute) Tinnitus (?)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Jjammem, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Jjammem

Jjammem Guest

Hey guys,

I have had some serious issues with tinnitus. It's been an ongoing problem for me. Ever since I had this horrible ear infection(I think it was from swimming in the ocean), I've been experiencing loss of sound and hearing impairments in my right ear. Also I have some horrible pains that are frequent throughout the month. One way of solving this problem was to start taking piracetam. A close friend of mine had recommended this to me. The doctor visits and the prescribed anti-bios were not doing the trick for me. I think it had to deal with a permanent side effect from the ear infection I had 3 years ago. So far I have been taking piracetam almost daily for 4 months and I have noticed that my hearing has been gradually improving. It's hard to come across in stores and it is not a prescribed medication. It is usually found online. The site I get it from usually carries piracetam in abundant stock and they are vegetarian caped as well. (yes I am a vegan) I started out taking 6 on the first day, but reduced it down to 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening since results are improving. By the way, I have used TIPA in the past and I plan on using it with piracetam for the overnight effects. I hope this helps out anyone looking for a possible treatment or relief.

Source(s):

Piracetam alleviates (acute) Tinnitus. Fortschr Med. 1995 June 30;113(18):288-90.
      Piracetam improves Hearing in persons afflicted with (sudden) Deafness (hearing loss) - in some cases it improves hearing by up to 15 dB.

In a prospective randomised clinical study on 39 patients with tinnitus and sudden hearing loss the therapeutic efficacy of piracetam/HAES 6% was compared with that of naftidrofuryl/HAES 6%. The two groups of patients were comparable in terms of demographic and audiological baseline data. The parameters evaluated were hearing improvement and the reduction in intensity of tinnitus. Improvement in hearing was 15 dB (piracetam) versus 18.5 dB (naftidrofuryl). The improvement in tinnitus amounted 27 dB (piracetam) and 19.9 dB (naftidrofuryl). Both differences were not significant. Tolerability was very good in both groups. Piracetam, which improves rheology and has a positive effect on metabolism, would appear of particular interest for the treatment of acute tinnitus.​

• Informative Informative x 2
    2. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
    3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I tried piracetam when my tinnitus started.

I started with an "attack dose" of 3600mg. Some people recommend 2400mg of piracetam to start with.

Then I ended up to 1600mg per day.

No effects whatsoever, I used piracetam for several months.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Hmm, I got a feeling it wont work for me either, I personally think the hair cells (Cilia) are bent or probably damaged in my cochlears. my left ear is worse than than right. Therefore unless these hair cells can regenerate or repair themselves my ears will continue ringing forever? well thats my theory. Whats your View Markku?

5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It's possible you are right.

But how do we explain it that sometimes when people get tinnitus, for example, due to loud noise and hair cells get damaged, the tinnitus won't still go away even if the auditory nerve is cut?

I'm no scientist, but I think that at least sometimes in the beginning of tinnitus, it could be attributed to hair cells, but then after a while it becomes chronic and becomes to do more or less with central nervous system too.

Therefore, when speaking about treatments/cures, it might be that some people need brain-specific approach, others hair cell based approach and some maybe even both.

Do you think that makes sense?

• Like Like x 1
    6. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Yes I agree with you, I think there's an attack on the Central Nervous System about 2 weeks after the trauma, and it maybe a result of increased Glutamate and other chemical unbalances that seems to create further unbalances in the brain and CNS. Would you agree?

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jjammem

Jjammem Guest

Well to be honest, Piracetam has treated my tinnitus to a certain degree. It definitely keeps the levels of it to a minimum. This allows me to be less irritable towards my wife and kids as well. Piracetam seems to improve and alleviate any negative effects dealing with the CNS as well. I've been taking Piracetam for several months now just to keep my tinnitus to a minimum. I wouldn't say it completely rids of it, but it does help more than TIPA in my opinion. All people are created differently, therefor substances will effect them all in their own unique form. In this case, Piracetam has a positive effect on me and my family.

8. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Tried it. Prescribed by a GP. No effect at all.

9. James Weisbrod

James Weisbrod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 Months Ago
      For me it improved my hearing. I'm about to try it again for a few weeks in an attept to get rid of Tinnitus, (It's only very slight) in one of my ears.

The first time I did it, was for a couple of weeks, and I swear by the results. My memory improved, my hearing improved. Everything seemed positive with the exception that I may have overdone it a tiny bit and become depressed as a result.

This time around, I'm looking forward to paying much closer attention to it's effects on my hearing.

OP... are you still on it?

10. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      does piracetam help hearing loss? it increases oxygen and maybe blood flow

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. GrosBalou
      Nerdy

GrosBalou Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Inner ear barotrauma (diving)
      Just wanted to share my experience with Piracetam :

At the onset of my tinnitus, I was prescribed Piracetam along corticoids. The first day I took piracetam alone (as corticoids were to be taken in the morning). It was instant relief ! My T went from 5 to 1 within half an hour (I felt so happy that day !).

Now my T has been around two month and each time I take a pill the level of my T decreases for some time (I would say down to something like 0.5, it doesn't bothers me anymore).

I've taken this from wikipedia, to show that it does more than increasing blood flow/owygen. I am not familiar with this stuff but maybe the reason of why it does works on my tinnitus is within the next paragraph :

Mechanisms of action
      Piracetam's mechanism of action, as with racetams in general, is not fully understood. The drug influences neuronal and vascular functions and influences cognitive function without acting as a sedative or stimulant.[6]Piracetam is a positive allosteric modulator of the AMPA receptor.[20] It is hypothesized to act on ion channels or ion carriers; thus leading to increased neuron excitability.[18] GABA brain metabolism and GABA receptors are not affected by piracetam [21]

It has been found to increase blood flow and oxygen consumption in parts of the brain but this may be a side effect of increased brain activity rather than a primary effect or mechanism of action for the drug.[22]

Piracetam improves the function of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine via muscarinic cholinergic (ACh) receptors, which are implicated in memory processes.[23] Furthermore, piracetam may have an effect on NMDA glutamate receptors, which are involved with learningand memory processes. Piracetam is thought to increase cell membrane permeability.[23][24] Piracetam may exert its global effect on brain neurotransmission via modulation of ion channels (i.e., Na+, K+).[18] It has been found to increase oxygen consumption in the brain, apparently in connection to ATP metabolism, and increases the activity of adenylate kinase in rat brains.[25][26] Piracetam, while in the brain, appears to increase the synthesis of cytochrome b5,[27] which is a part of the electron transport mechanism inmitochondria. But in the brain, it also increases the permeability of the mitochondria of some intermediaries of the Krebs cycle.[25]

• Informative Informative x 4
    12. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Juan Carlos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hi guys. I found another nootropoic wich i think it can be potentially beneficial for tinnitus sufferers.
      http://nootriment.com/nefiracetam/

13. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Robert Dinse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Bcame noticable around 2000
      I've gotten nearly complete relief from tinnitus using Piracetam. I used 4.8G/day divided into three doses. I did not get instant relief like some others here, it took about three months, but it both relieved tinnitus and greatly improved my hearing, particularly above 10 Khz.

• Informative Informative x 4
    15. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      Do you still take it? I've been curious about trying it. Also, what caused your T?

• Creative Creative x 1
    16. JC81
      Relaxed

JC81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15
      I am interested as well, I have a bulk bag here that I havent used just yet

17. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      My ENT just subscribed this.
      Any dangers?

18. Niko

Niko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
    19. josh77

josh77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/4/2015
      Piracetam seems to be a good options. I felt liked I had researched everything but just came across this thread. Anyone else tried it or currently using it?

20. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      I have tried Piracetam using the www.nootroo.com version. It does absolutely nothing for tinnitus as is expected. It will be better donating the money that is spent on supplements to legit T research. My estimate is that the T riddle will have been solved if the several million dollars a year that people throw away in stupid pseudo-treatments would have been used for actual T research.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Niko

Niko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
      Cutting the auditory nerve out does that mean that there is no connection between the brain and hair cells? If yes, shouldn't then your brain go viral in tinnitus as the brain doesn't connect with the hair cells any longer?

And then there is no cure with cell transplant that will renew the hair cells as the current Frequency Therapeutics research, since the tinnitus is in the brain cells and doesn't care if your hair cells heal or you get brand new hair cells.

22. CricketEars

CricketEars Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      I’ve taken Piracetam (and other racetams) for unrelated reasons, but it had no effect on my T

23. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?

I also wonder about this, for me I wonder if the noise is not just the trigger but that actually it's more a psychologic disorder after all. I have managed to lower my 17 years old T's a few times and the only way it was possible is to have a feeling of extreme well being those days, very relaxed, no stress and fear. Also in extreme stressful situations I have new T's coming in and out (some call these fleeting T's, but they are T's anyway), I know my T began in a very stressful period and I really never really managed to get rid of that stress since (for financial reasons) so as far as my own experience goes, it may have to do with hearing loss as it makes that part of your body more fragile but stress and anxiety is for me the major problem.

24. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Tell me, is the dosage of piracetam 800 mg 2 times a day sufficient? It's not too much?

25. CricketEars

CricketEars Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      That should be fine imo. A lot of people take 3-4g a day, so 1600mg shouldn’t be a problem. You can always start with a lower dose and then gradually increase to see how your body responds.

As far as your equation about vasodilators, I have no idea. I know that if I take Niacin, my tinnitus spikes for hours, even though other people have found it to be helpful. Tinnitus is still pretty mysterious

26. Deathtotinni

Deathtotinni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Qtip and maybe a sound..who knows
      Coincidentally my T came on after using racetams.....

27. SadMan
      Tired

SadMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      How many milligrams was 1 tablet? 800 mg?

28. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Where does anyone even get Piracetam in the US? Everywhere is out of stock as it has been seized.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    29. SadMan
      Tired

SadMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I had acoustic trauma. I took it 3 months after the onset. My tinnitus became severe while using it, so I stopped taking it. I only took it for 2 days.

30. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I live in Hungary, here Nootropil (Piracetam) is prescribed routinely to tinnitus patients. Sometimes in IV form with/out steroid or in tablet form. Results are inconclusive to say the least, but the meds are generally well tolerated.

I took 2x1200 mg for 2 months alongside with Betahistine (2.5 months). They did absolutely nothing for me. Could be a coincidence, because I have other possible causes, but before this combo, I never had bilateral tinnitus. I started to take them because I panicked about my low hum and how it was wrecking me (which I had had earlier 2 times, always went away on its own, but this time it acted differently and I was not sleeping at all.) One week in on Piracetam + Betahistine, bilateral tinnitus appeared. I often wonder about what ifs, that maybe I should have just left the low hum alone, maybe I wouldn't be here today.

Personally, I would not recommend it. I think it's absolutely ineffective.