Poll: Can You Get 8 Hours or More NON-STOP Sleep without Taking Medication?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lucifer, Aug 15, 2017.

?

Can You Get 8 Hours or More NON-STOP Sleep without Taking Medication?

1. Every night

2. Most nights

3. Some nights

4. Rarely

5. Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hi, I was just wondering if you guys can get 8 hours or more non-stop sleep without medication.

Before I had tinnitus I could sleep for 8 hours or more non-stop whereas now I wake up during the night.

I wonder what causes me to wake up during the night if its due to tinnitus or anxiety. I feel like it is the tinnitus that's waking me up during the night but not too sure.

I don't have any trouble falling asleep its just staying asleep for 8 hours or more is the issue

2. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      I'm able to sleep over 8 hours without medication most of the time, (I just take some natural supplements), but I wake up a few times during the night but not because of tinnitus, but because I have severe thirst issues, I have to drink around 2 liters of water during the night. I have no idea why I have this, it just randomly started a few years ago.

But anyway I have taken Oxazepam the last few nights because of my anxiety acting up, I have read too many horror stories about tinnitus, so I need to stop coming here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I was never able to do 8 hours straight. Even before T.

• Agree Agree x 6
    4. BLane
      Dreaming

BLane Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't take meds for my T and I have no problem sleeping 8+ non-stop hours. I only require 7, so I typically don't sleep that long.

5. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      I only sleep around 6 to 7 hours everynight, but because I'm a night owl, but also like to wake up early.

About Tinnitus, it has never prevented me to sleep (even without medications).

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013

Hi @Carlyi... have you been tested for your glucose levels in blood? Sometimes increased thirst is a symptom of diabetes. NOT ALWAYS, but it would be good idea to make you tested.

Take care,

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      In my experience, is not Tinnitus waking you up in the middle of the night. I strongly believe (it happened to me) that you wake up because of your anxiety during the day, and prior falling sleep.

Once that I habituated and made the peace with my tinnitus, I have never woke up in the middle of the night because of tinnitus.

8. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      I have the opposite problem. I really struggle with falling asleep. I can't, even when I'm tired and on meds. However it takes at least ten alarms or I don't know... a nuclear explosion to get me out of bed.

I get 6 hours of sleep on average.

• Funny Funny x 2
    9. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Nope, never.....even before T onset i sometimes struggled to get 8 hours without waking up once.

Thank god for Mirtazapin, otherwise I would never fall asleep.

• Informative Informative x 2
    10. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Usually 4 or 5 hours, wake up, flop around for 30 minutes to an hour then get another hour or two.

I'd love to sleep through the night like I used to but tinnitus has nothing to do with it, I think it's just age related.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lucifer

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      What natural supplements do you take and how you have to drink 2 litres of water during the night can you drink 2 litres of water before bed then sleep 8 hours of sleep non stop without taking supplements

12. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Even before I got my T my sleeping pattern was in a way where I wake up several times per night and fall back to sleep. It didn't bother me at all and I always felt rested. Everyone has their own proccess I think. Now with T it's the same.

13. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Eight hours? Ha! I have young kids so . . . nope. I'm not even getting four hours of uninterrupted sleep. After years of getting up every three hours with babies and then toddlers waking in the middle of the night, I'm just conditioned to wake up multiple times.

I monitor my sleep with a health tracker. Patterns of deep sleep, light sleep and wake time are actually normal. According to my tracker, most people average between 5 to 20 percent awake time a night. Many of those moments are so brief that we don't even realize it. I think it's more likely that we do notice them when we're stressed or anxious. I was very worried that tinnitus was affecting my sleep, but then I got a tracker and realized my sleep patterns are similar to most people. Even if I'm not sleeping eight consecutive hours!

• Informative Informative x 2
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lucifer

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      What health tracker do you use to monitor your sleeping patterns?

15. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      A FitBit, and it really did mentally help with my worries over whether tinnitus was impacting my sleep. It's reassuring to me when I check the data and see that my sleep patterns fall within normal ranges.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lucifer

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I didn't realise Fitbit could actually measure sleeping patterns. I thought it was mainly for exercise lol. Which Fitbit do you have?

17. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      The Charge 2, but I think others have the same capabilities. I got it a few months ago and it does help my anxiety. Plus bonus that I'm being more health conscious now!

18. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Carlyi, have you discussed this with a doctor and had bloodwork done?

• Like Like x 2
    19. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Never slept for 8 hours and never sleep for more than 3-4 unbroken (usually wake every 2 hours). Though my tinnitus is very loud, it only affected my ability to sleep in the early days......so poll needs re-phrasing.

20. Jordyn
      Angelic

Jordyn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 10/17 - in remission, late July/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown - possibly earphones.
      ok im a hard core sleeper and i can sleep for 10h if needed. i think ur sleep disturbance is anxiety over the T not the T itself. here's why.

When i got it, it lasted 3 weeks or more and was very noticeable especially at night. but i thought it was just my ETD so i slept like a baby believing it would go away. when i started researching and thinking it could be T and possibly permanent THEN i couldn't sleep because it's all i heard. and even when dead tired i would wake up at 4 am and start listening for it, which caused me tons of grief of course and made it way worse till it started to fade off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. UpDownAround
      Spaced

UpDownAround Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I take a strong anti-psychotic at night for sleep and to help prevent mania. I could probably sleep without when depressed but I never know when the next bounce is coming so I always take it.

22. Keith Handy
      Ape-like

Keith Handy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + sleep deprivation + noise
      I was a night owl and slept in late whenever possible. Now I sleep in short intervals and can't sleep past 4 AM, at which point I pace around, eat, and wait for daylight which usually makes me feel a little better. It's not just the tinnitus, it's the recent three months of chaos and trauma.

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Well I only need 6-7 hours to feel well rested, but sure, I get that much on most nights.

I've found sleep restriction to be very useful. It's grueling at first, but sooner or later the brain gets the message, and falls asleep the minute it has the chance to do so.

24. Dirtworks

Dirtworks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly loud power tools
      Since my tinnitus increased, I was waking up every 2 hours at least. Just started taking Melatonin and have had a few solid 4-5 hour nights and a 6-hour night.

When it’s loud it really drives me crazy. Mine is most likely caused by loud noise. Anxiety may make it worse but I am sure tinnitus makes me more anxious. Lack of sleep certainly doesn’t help. It can be like a runaway freight train.

25. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Can't get 8 straight hours.

What medication are we talking about?

There's one that keeps you asleep despite the tinnitus?!?

26. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I can usually sleep through the night with my tinnitus. I found that sleeping with earplugs really helped this immensely, and avoided the hyperacusis kicking in with every passing car or the heat turning on and waking me up.

27. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I usually sleep 4 to 5 hours straight, plus a 1 to 2 additional hours, with my SoundPillow. Without the SoundPillow, I can't sleep. Rarely I sleep 6 hours straight; if I do I will feel very refreshed. If I'm anxious/tinnitus more intense, my sleep is more broken.