Repeated Modified Nerve Blocks and Auditory and Non-Auditory Nerve Stimulation

Discussion in 'Research News' started by David S, Mar 1, 2022.

1. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      The indicative costs please. In the email they said $250-350 hundred dollars ($25,000-35,000 USD). We thought it was a mistake and they meant $250-350 per session. Putting some of their website answers (question 2) in Google translator I got this:

"The general treatment period is about 10-15 times, but in severe cases, it is very rare, but there are cases where treatment is 20-30 times or more, and there are patients who finish it within 10 times. The cost of one treatment is decided after consultation, but it is about 20-25 million won."

Note that 20-25 million won is currently circa $20 thousand USD, so I can't understand the costs. In a post above we thought it would be $250-350 USD per session, with a max of 18, say 20 to round up, so $7,000 USD max. I can't understand the costs really. This figure of 20-25 million won seems in line with $250 hundred dollars, i.e. $25,000. This would be prohibitive for most of us. Unless the FX rate has changed enormously since the date of that post.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It may be of interest to see the other translations from their website posted above. This is through Google Translate. Some of the other answers are redundant so I post only these four.
      1. The cause of tinnitus is often sensorineural, but there are various causes such as ligaments, tendons, and nerve abnormalities in the cervical spine or temporomandibular joint. In most cases, tinnitus and hearing loss that do not improve naturally within 1-2 months of onset last a lifetime even after receiving various treatments. The treatment using MTSneedle is a method that uses microneedles in various lesions that cause tinnitus and hearing loss and simultaneously uses nerve regeneration and ligament and tendon strengthening techniques. The effect on tinnitus of the treatment using the MTS needle treated at our hospital is recovered to the extent that 3 out of 10 people can't hear the sound, and 5-6 people out of 10 hear the sound very low, so they don't feel any discomfort in their daily life. However, 1 or 2 out of 10 cases depend on the severity of the patient's illness, personality (sensitive personality, obsessive personality, inability to tolerate even small pain, etc.), accompanying diseases, and the patient's ability to recover from disease Therefore, the effect may be reduced depending on various other causes. In addition, acute sudden hearing loss (within 2-3 weeks of onset) improves remarkably in most cases, and in the case of old hearing loss, the improvement is about 10-20 dB, and there may be more improvement in some cases.

2. Because dizziness has a very good prognosis compared to tinnitus or hearing loss, you can expect good results. The general treatment period is about 10-15 times, but in severe cases, it is very rare, but there are cases where treatment is 20-30 times or more, and there are patients who finish it within 10 times. The cost of one treatment is decided after consultation, but it is about 20-25 million won.

3. MTS needle is a microneedle and guide that was developed by Dr. Seo Heon-man and obtained domestic and US patents. It is a microneedle used for treatment using the MTS needle, which treats acute and chronic pain diseases as well as various intractable non-pain diseases (tinnitus, hearing loss, facial paralysis, gastrointestinal disease, skin disease, motor nerve disorder) without the use of steroids or surgery.

4. Since the cause of tinnitus is often sensorineural, treatment is mainly to regenerate the nerves involved, and other causes such as cervical spine or temporomandibular joint, ligaments, tendons, and nerve abnormalities are also treated. The treatment using the MTS needle performed at our clinic is a method that uses a microneedle to simultaneously regenerate nerves and strengthen the tendon ligaments in various lesions that cause tinnitus and hearing loss. The degree of improvement varies from individual to individual, depending on the degree of damage or regenerative ability, and the current living environment is different. -Some patients have more than 30 treatments, and some patients finish it within 10 treatments.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Kind of a bold statement on their website concerning the regeneration of nerves. The 0.3mm needle might trigger some micro healing?

Since the cause of tinnitus is often sensorineural, treatment is mainly to regenerate the nerves involved, and other causes such as cervical spine or temporomandibular joint, ligaments, tendons, and nerve abnormalities are also treated. The treatment using the MTS needle performed at our clinic is a method that uses a microneedle to simultaneously regenerate nerves and strengthen the tendon ligaments in various lesions that cause tinnitus and hearing loss. The degree of improvement varies from individual to individual, depending on the degree of damage or regenerative ability, and the current living environment is different. -Some patients have more than 30 treatments, and some patients finish it within 10 treatments.​

Here is how they explain their success rate:

In most cases, tinnitus and hearing loss that do not improve naturally within 1-2 months of onset last a lifetime even after receiving various treatments. The effect on tinnitus of the treatment using the MTS needle treated at our hospital is recovered to the extent that 3 out of 10 people can't hear the sound, and 5-6 people out of 10 can hear the sound very low, so they don't feel uncomfortable in their daily life. However, 1 or 2 out of 10 cases depend on the severity of the patient's illness, personality (sensitive personality, obsessive personality, inability to tolerate even small pain, etc.), accompanying diseases, and the patient's ability to recover from disease. , the effect may decrease depending on various other causes.​

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I found this:

"Injection therapy for the treatment of tinnitus is a safe injection treatment and there is no nerve damage. The one-time cost is around 25-26 million won, and the actual cost claim may be different for each individual insurance, so you should check it individually. thank you"​

So I'm afraid it's $20 thousand ($20,000) without insurance. We absolutely need some clarity about this.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      But here they say something else:

http://www.mtspain.co.kr/pg/bbs/board.php?bo_table=sub0701&wr_id=1681&page=3

"Tests for tinnitus are rarely performed, and after treatment 3 times a week for 2 weeks, the number of treatments is reduced depending on the degree of reaction. One-time cost is 25-60 thousand won. It is also possible to treat at Daegu A. Anesthesia and Pain Medicine. Thank you."​

Confusing...

7. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      I have asked them to confirm if it is US$200 - 300 per session.

8. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      Lol, it looks more and more like a sophisticated acupuncture technique, which we all know what that means...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perhaps the translator messes up millions and thousands. Perhaps they are similar in Korean and something is lost in translation.

EDIT:
      Their numbering system is complicated.

Lesson 130: Big Korean Numbers

Best to ask the question "$250 vs $20000, 1 session" rather than saying "$20 thousand" or "millions".

10. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wouldn't say so. The needles go much deeper than in standard acupuncture, and they also inject substances for nerve blocks, so it's a combination of stimulation through _deep_ needle placements and nerve blocks. More like pain surgeon medicine than acupuncture.

I'm wondering what is doing the work here in reducing tinnitus from such different origins, even patients with very relevant hearing loss have been helped. From the forum posts, it even looks like some patients regained some hearing. The results seem so good for such a technique, what do the needles do? Are they even calming the dorsal cochlear nucleus through the nerves?

Also, I would like to understand how genuine the results are. What is the relationship between doctors and patients in South Korea? Is it impolite to tell a doctor their treatment is failing? Might people have been embellishing results to please doctors? I wish we had an objective measurement of tinnitus, so there would be less doubts. Have doctors been reporting all the cases where the treatment failed? But cases of 10 to 0... average 7 points drop... that's not just embellishing, that's close to a cure.

I think there's nothing else to do but trying, even though having statistics on the success of the therapy in 2019-2022 and an updated list of adverse effects would help in making a decision.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I wondered the same about doctor/patient relationship and if reporting negative results is viewed through a certain lens. @Will Sedley, in his post, mentioned socio-cultural factors. I wish he would have clarified what he meant exactly because I am inferring a negative connotation from it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Chinmoku. Hope you are hanging in there. Nice to see you on here looking into this.

It's hard to see what the miracle mechanism is. It does, indeed, seem a little odd that you have the combination of nerve block plus needle stimulation to ameliorate signalling problems in the auditory pathway. It is almost like a resetting exercise. Also, the relationship between cranial nerves 5 and 7 and the vestibulocochlear nerve is not abundantly clear. Some hypothesis around the method of action would be helpful.

Still no response to my email.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, Uklawyer, I try to come back when I can, the tinnitus is excruciating and all my fuel is on surviving hour by hour.

I agree, they definitely stumbled upon something but why it works is not entirely clear. Hopefully they might refine it in the future. The point is this should be immediately studied by medical scientists abroad, but I'm sure very little will happen. If this had been COVID-19 two years ago, everyone would be on it. Sadly we have low priority for the medical community.

@GoatSheep, I think Will Sedley was referring to the relationship patients-doctors with socio-cultural aspects. Is it impolite to tell a doctor his treatment does not work? This is where a Korean forum member would be invaluable. Unfortunately South Korea seems to be a separate planet.

• Useful Useful x 1
    14. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some guy's comment from Reddit. I definitely see the points he makes. It was too good to be true...

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    15. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      I'm now convinced a major driver was the location. The patient-doctor relationship in Korea is probably very different from what we are used to.

Was the price confirmed yet?

16. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit. I should have asked how nerve blocks to cranial nerves 5 and 7 help stimulate cranial nerve 8. But Will Sedley did not raise these questions. I don't know...

17. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Some random guy's comment on Reddit lol.

Will Sedley, who peer reviewed the study, is supposedly going to speak on it.

18. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Did he say he is going to speak more on it, than what he already wrote here?

19. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing damage, ear infections
      Why do you think this is encouraging if I may ask?
      According to the emails posted here it would, but we might have to take that information with a grain of salt since it was not included in the study. They also do not specify which type of hyperacusis it might help.

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I just thought there already are more options for tonal tinnitus, like notched sound treatments.

I have a number of friends with stable, but quite loud tonal tinnitus, meaning they have no problem hearing it in the car or on the street but they are all well habituated.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    21. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I spoke to Soo Ji (the doctor) today.

$200 - 300 USD per treatment.

Tinnitus reduction usually seen in around 4 - 6 treatments (the clinic does X3 treatments per week). May require further treatments (up to 10 - 15) if the tinnitus is not resolved sooner.

They have been using this technique for 20 years!!!

I asked if it works for hearing loss. Poor prognosis, but has seen it help (English limited).

They are looking at starting trials as soon as possible. Maybe a good time for those who are able, to reach out and participate? They will be hiring interpreters to assist with the process.

AND the BIG one IMO...

Soo Ji confirmed that they would be willing to teach international doctors their technique either in person or via video conferencing. So, reach out to your research facilities and see if you can gather some interest. The needles used at the clinic would need to be purchased from Korea.

• Informative Informative x 13
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      Thanks for speaking with him.

That was the last piece of credibility going away. If it was successful all these 20 years, tinnitus shouldn't have been a problem anymore in Korea.

But obviously it is because there is quite some research coming out of Korea regarding tinnitus.

If it would have worked the last 20 years, all Koreans with tinnitus would have been cured/aware of this. Sounds like snake oil to me.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 2
    23. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Freerunner, are you sure this is the email address? I have received nothing back.

@DebInAustralia, did you get the email address? I had a number of questions for them to respond to in writing.
      @Jerad, I will ask if they get back to me. I might have to call.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    24. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      Total treatment cost would then roughly align I think with that of current various clinically delivered tinnitus treatments in the West. Circa $2k-$5k (similar in Sterling too).

25. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      Excellent. Thank you so much for all this information.

I have an appointment with Dr. Brendan Conlon (Lenire) in June and will be highlighting this to him. Maybe he will show interest. In the meantime we need people from the boards here to give it a try. It is unfortunate that Seoul is such a long flight from most English speaking nations. I presume after reading Markku's earlier post we don't have many non-English speaking members.

A few guinea pigs would be great. :)

26. Freerunner

Freerunner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caloric test
      Yes, this is the correct email address I have also been in contact with - hunman0405@naver.com

27. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Freerunner - sorry, I thought you mentioned you had sent a text and not an email.

It's too late to call now. Time zone not great for their working hours and our time zone (and my waking hours).

I have sent a follow up email. If anyone in the West or East wants to pass on my questions in writing, let me know.

I will try calling tomorrow if I can and if I have received no response.

28. Reed19
      No Mood

Reed19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      At least 4 years ago or my whole life
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, ear infection, head trauma, music, drugs, badsleep?
      I'm wondering about this too. You would think there would be more parts in Korea that offer this service at least.

29. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      So a quick show of hands, any South Koreans here? Maybe they have all been cured and didn't bother emailing you. ;)

30. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Agreed. It is probably one of those clinics who advertise "alternative healing methods" that do acupuncture, laser and such crap. Nothing more than relaxation/habituation/placebo stuff.