Rescue Hearing Inc.

Discussion in 'Research News' started by tomytl, Jul 18, 2017.

1. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi,

A new INC to cure hearing loss with top scientists went online these days.

http://rescuehearing.com/

It's exciting! Read about the founder and the researchers.

Greets Tom

• Like Like x 11
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      Wow. Very exciting. And the founder seems to have a personal investment in this. Couldn't imagine experiencing hearing loss at 11 years old. Looking forward to updates as they come!

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Skulldrey
      Alone

Skulldrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MUSE opening for My Chemical Romance
      I had it at 15 =\ Can't even remember what silence is like

4. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

When is there goal to cure hearing loss?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      They don't have a "deadline" for a specific "cure". But the people involved are top notch and pioneers in inner ear biology.
      The founder also seem to have excellent connections to many inner ear comapnies.
      It's good there is one more company.

• Like Like x 5
    6. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      The growing list of start-ups focusing on hearing restoration is very exciting. I wish them all the best of luck!!!!

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 4
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Indeed exciting and there are some more with candidates in the pipeline. I think Soundpharmaceuticals and AcousiaTX will have something out for testing soon too.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      The more start ups there are, the higher the pressure is to start clinical trials sooner rather than later.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      There seems to be more and more of them add this on top of REGAIN in the EU as well, just hope all this regeneration fixes tinnitus the mystery.

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
    11. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Audion and Acousia.

Well... I kind of pointed out a flaw in this call for participants.

They want people whose main complaint is hearing loss! Not tinnitus!

Well, my main complaint is tinnitus. Hearing loss is treated more like a tangible disease, while tinnitus is just this "mystery" no one understands or wants anything to do with. When I talk to a doctor, he says that tinnitus is a "symptom"... this "mysterious symptom"... well symptom of what exactly? Many things! They say... Well I don't know about others but in my case it's most definitely caused by noise induced hearing loss. But am I an attractive candidate for a "hearing loss" clinical trial? Well no... because my main complaint is tinnitus...

I think I will just sit and wait for a call for a "tinnitus trial"...

wait for cure2.jpg

:whistle:....

Do you have hearing loss? While yes! I have tinnitus! Don't even need a hearing test! If you have tinnitus, then you know you have hearing loss! It's a symptom, the most obvious symptom of hearing loss! :)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      If you have a measurable hearing loss I would say go for it. That way they will get solid evidence it works in treating hearing loss and if your tinnitus disappears then you're in a win-win.

Myself have no measurable hearing loss (on a standard audiogram) but tinnitus. I am also pretty sure my chronic tinnitus has come from noise (clubs, working in pubs with bands). If I had a measurable hearing loss I would jump straight in.

13. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Yeah, I do have some mild hearing loss in the 4 kHz to 6 kHz region on my left ear. I have expressed my interest in the Regain project. Will see what they say in the coming month.

What's your hearing like? I take it it's not a perfect 0 dB throughout the hearing range, if you worked in such establishments as clubs and pubs?

I had a very sharp 30 dB drop at 6000 Hz on my first ever audiogram. This was done several months after the acoustic trauma. Two months later, I did a new test and it showed 15 dB drop at 6000 Hz. It was around that time I started noticing a tonal tinnitus. Now I can hear twice as good?! So good that I can hear things that are not there.

Several months have passed since the second audiogram. Who knows... maybe if I did a new test now I would get a perfect score. Perfect hearing... or not. The point is, hearing does get better with time, as does tinnitus. Or does it really?...

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Good find @tomytl ! (y)

We are now at 24 companies total according to my count. Some of these companies are more developed than others. But I sure hope to see more companies coming to this field.

• Like Like x 3
    15. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It's a perfect 0db throughout the hearing range (well up to 8khz) according to my audiogram. Funnily enough hearing can recover and occasionally tinnitus too, hope you keep us posted Samir!

16. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      http://rescuehearing.com/imaging/

I wonder what this is about? Assessing inner ear function with imaging technology? Intracochlear imaging? Does anyone here know what KOL is referring to? This is very interesting. Their genetic tests seem interesting as well.

Where is this company based in?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Informative Informative x 2
    18. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Yeah!! I love the fact more players are entering the arena regarding HL, T and H.
      The world needs it. I have a feeling, as a group, people that have suffered with T and H, for years, who may eventually recover from one or more of these new drugs/treatments, would flourish with such an unprecedented spirit, unknown to man:woot:
      I know I would.

Why is it that so few of us have an audiogram in the lower field only(250-8000 Hz)
      That may be interesting regarding HL.
      But regarding T and H I think the higher end of our hearing field(8000-16000 Hz) is much more relevant.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      That's interesting! How is your hearing above 8 kHz then? How far into the high frequency range can you hear? I stop hearing at about 13 kHz.

I don't expect mine to get any better just by sitting and waiting for it to get better. I was exposed to a really loud impulse type of noise. It killed off some hair cells right on the spot, I'm sure of it. Tinnitus is more than just the ears of course. I don't have to tell you that the brain plays a crucial part in this. It's a series of events that in almost all cases begins with the ears. Some damages may be small, some may be larger, and it all adds up, and eventually these cells deteriorate to the point that you start having tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Agreed! Hence my question to Paul above, about his upper limit. Tinnitus might begin to develop right after you lose your 15 kHz to 18 kHz range of the sensors.

So few? I think you meant so many. The typical audiogram is from 250 Hz to 8000 Hz. This is the range that's responsible for speech recognition. As long as you can hear human speech well, they are done with you. Everything above 8000 Hz is redundant.

Oh yes! And the earliest hearing aids could not amplify sounds beyond 8000 Hz. The world standard for audiograms is from the same era.

Historically, the first hearing aids were like big trumpets you hold up to your ear, on either left or the right side. You would hold them with both your hands. If you were rich and strong enough you could have two, one for each ear. Fast forward to audiograms and you find "electronic" hearing aids. Analog!

Meanwhile, hearing aids are now digital. And! They can amplify sounds well beyond 8000 Hz! And! They can now use advanced math and physics to make you hear things you are normally not capable of. For example, if your hearing ends at 6000 Hz, the devices can still pick up everything from 6000 Hz up to 20000 Hz and manipulate the incoming signals so that you can hear it all with your limited cochlea in the range 20 - 6000 Hz. Plus! You can have these hearing aids connect to your smartphone via Bluetooth and you can take phone calls with it. They do all kinds of technical wizardry. I would not be surprised if they can help you find a parking lot, or start a washer machine at home.

So originally, the first specification for the audiogram came along at the same time as analog electronic hearing aids, and those were limited to about 8000 Hz. And yes, normal human speech is also within that range.

But if you would like to try out a hearing aid, they can have you do an advanced test where they test your hearing higher than 8000 Hz. So that they can fine tune them for your ears. And yes, all clinical audiometers can go much higher than 8000 Hz. Most cheaper models can do it as well. Plus! They can adjust the frequency intervals down to a single cycle (1 Hz). I think those features are reserved for research only... Up to 8000 Hz is good enough, so why bother!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    21. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Which manufacturers have hearing aids that amplify up to 20,000 Hz? I am currently trying one by Widex that only amplifies up to 1ok.

I'm rather surprised that hearing aids would go to 20,000. Frequencies above 8,000 decline rather quickly as we age but that is not unusual. Hearing 16k at around 60 decibels is actually considered fairly normal for the 30-40 age range.

Not being at 0 decibels in that range is normal, even in our 20s, yet not everyone develops tinnitus. Or do you mean a sudden, significant loss. As in one day you can hear 15kHz at 30 decibels but an acoustic trauma suddenly pushes it to 70 decibels?

I have had a higher frequency hearing test. My hearing above 15k is slightly above average for my age; my loss in one ear is between 6k and 12k.

22. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Of course:wacky:

23. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      I may have jumped to conclusion. I know I read some article about this several months ago now. It discussed the different technical aspects of hearing aids, such as what frequencies they can amplify and how they can compress frequencies. They may not be able to amplify beyond 10000 Hz. But they can compress them and make these high frequencies audible to the ear.

Presbycusis, yes.

I was thinking about progressive loss as part of the aging process, and how that may or may not lead to tinnitus. But here is what I struggle with! How do you tell apart hearing decline caused by natural degeneration from that caused by acoustic trauma? Insult to the ears doesn't have to be a significant one time event. It can be the result of a number of small insults that all add up to a large total.

How do you know what that average is?

When I go out looking for the hearing loss curves that correlate to age groups, I find something like this:
      TQNAP.gif

Frequency stops at 8 kHz!

8881_193_44-ear-loss-about-men.jpg

719333-11-2ITAIT1.png

presbycusis.png
      This graph tries to push it to 16 kHz, but data points are missing to cover the entire range. I am not surprised that it's missing, there are not too many sources for researchers to pull that data from. The majority of all audiograms ever done in the world only go as far as 8 kHz. That has been the standard for a long time now, and it still is.

The high end of the frequency range in this graph appears to have been manually filled in with a pencil, not plotted by a machine or a computer program.

No one cares for the far end of the hearing range. Scientists just tested it some ages ago and found that we can hear up to 20000 Hz and they said OK, that's that, they recorded the fact and never looked back at it.

We may not learn something significant related to tinnitus by studying these far ends of the hearing spectrum. But it's just so simple to do these days! Why would we not test it? Where is the interest? Where is the curiosity? If nothing else, it can serve as an early warning system for when our hearing is deteriorating too quickly. "Professionals" don't care about it until our hearing is already too deteriorated and we are fit for hearing aids.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That hearing loss is part of the aging process certainly is conventional wisdom, but it may not be true, as discussed in this paper from June 2017.

From the abstract:

"Significant (25-40 decibel (dB)) hearing loss is probably not part of normal aging but rather represents sociocusis or pathological aging due to cumulative noise exposure. Seven lines of evidence support this conclusion: 1) preservation of auditory sensitivity throughout life in primitive populations; 2) correlations between occupational noise exposure and hearing loss; 3) better hearing in women than in men, presumably from less noise exposure; 4) significant variations in the prevalence of hearing loss in different population groups; 5) hearing loss occurs in the sound frequencies to which the ear is exposed 6) the prevalence of hearing loss increases with lifetime noise exposure; and 7) basic science research showing noise-induced changes in auditory cells leading to cell damage and death."

http://www.icben.org/2017/ICBEN 2017 Papers/SubjectArea01_Fink_0102_2331.pdf

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    25. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      All things that scientists cannot explain is part of the aging process! :p

What is age anyway? It's just a number!

• Like Like x 2
    26. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Studying the high end of the hearing range may be useful in following ways:

1. Detect early onset of hearing loss.
      2. Provide early data collection about hearing loss in diverse populations.
      3. Offer an opportunity to visually study hair cell death, in-vivo.

• Agree Agree x 3
    27. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Dr. Hinrich Staecker is/was the lead investigator on both the AM-101 and CGF-166 trials.

• Informative Informative x 2
    28. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Samir

The audiology center where I got my very high frequency scan has its own statistics over hundreds or thousands of tests. See the screenshot.
      There is an interesting article on the "The Hearing Journal" (free iPad app and journal) from March 2017: "Benefits of extended high-frequency audiometry for everyone", David Moore et al. I recommend it to everyone with curiosity about the very high frequencies. It is simple and very informative.

upload_2017-7-22_15-3-48.png

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    29. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Dear Paul,

Thank you for your interest in the REGAIN study. As soon as the trial is open to recruitment, we will be in touch with more information about taking part.

Many thanks,

Liz

That was their reply, they did not answer my question regarding tinnitus specifically.

• Informative Informative x 3
    30. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      This is really interesting. Thanks for posting. So it seems like pretty much everyone should end up with tinnitus by age 50 to 60. I think it only takes an event with high anxiety/grief/stress to turn it on. It could very well explain why some people get it and some people don't. At 50 to 60, everyone could get it if exposed to the right conditions. There is always lots of anxiety to go around in this world.

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1