Safe to Go Out without Hearing Protection?

Discussion in 'Support' started by miodragdimic, Jul 21, 2019.

1. miodragdimic
      Scared

miodragdimic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is it safe for me and my ears to go out without hearing protection?

Like going to the center of the city? There is a lot of traffic (buses, etc.).

And like going to parties or something?

I don't know if by loud places you guys mean like concerts and that stuff - or everything that is somewhat loud, such as the noise of traffic?

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I would avoid this one. Parties can get quite loud with the music and people possibly screaming. Some will say go to them and wear ear plugs, some like @Bill Bauer will say do not go because it can possibly take one instance to create a new tone or possibly a new baseline. The choice is up to you on what you want to do...

I went to my fair share of parties (without ear plugs ) and for SURE it contributed to my hearing loss and increase in the ringing...

• Like Like x 2
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It might be a good idea to give yourself two years to recover. During those two years you might want to be extra careful. It is also important to listen to your body.

A good rule of thumb (to follow for the rest of your life) is: If a noise (even a mild noise like that of traffic) feels too loud or causes you to get a temporary spike or ear fullness, then it might be a good idea to avoid it.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      nope. never.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Always pack earplugs in your pocket when you go out. And pop them in wherever you feel you should.

I've started packing two pairs since I mislaid them once. Musician's earplugs are usually fine. If I'm going into busy traffic I'll put noise cancelling headphones round my neck just in case.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      miodragdimic
      Scared

miodragdimic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't have a pair of earplugs, can earphones work?

7. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Take everything you read on here with a grain of salt. There are people here who go to extremes on both sides when it comes to hearing protection and what to avoid. Each person’s tinnitus is different and you can’t really compare one person to another. When you go to one extreme or the other, bad things can happen. Some people go to concerts again or go to very loud venues and make their tinnitus worse, some people over protect and make their tinnitus worse and develop hyperacusis or phonophobia. So figure out what works for you and be aware of both extremes that are present on the forum.

I am disturbed by some of the responses on here. People can’t go to parties? Is this a joke? Are we talking dinner party? Birthday party? Baby shower? etc? There are many different kinds of parties so saying no to all parties is absurd. Be aware of what type of party it is and how loud it may get and make a decision. I would say go and if it gets too loud put ear plugs in. If it gets excessively loud where ear plugs may not protect, you can leave. Why not go and try to enjoy yourself because it might not get that loud, than not go at all? You may go and see it isn’t that loud and you will be fine, but if you never go you wouldn’t know that and miss out. You can always leave so it’s worth to make the attempt.

Many people with tinnitus live in the city and get around just fine. Many people here are from NYC and don’t have any issues walking around without hearing protection. I wouldn’t do that myself, but you can definitely still go to the city with hearing protection.

I wouldn’t advise going to concerts at this time that can reach excessively loud levels. We do have people who attended classical / acoustic concerts without amplification and they enjoy themselves.

No one can tell you what is too loud for your tinnitus. Everyone is different and we literally have no scientific data to back up one argument or the other.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Earphones provide no protection.

You can get cheap silicone earplugs on Amazon.

You can also buy noise isolation headphones, which are basically ear muffs (NRR protection) that are also headphones.

9. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      You can buy cheap foam earplugs and learn how to insert them correctly, they give about the best protection possible and are mostly invisible. Earphones don't protect from noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      I’ve noticed there are a couple different types of ear plugs. The foam ones and others that reduce the loud sounds with filters and help so you can still hear others talk. Which would be better to use?

11. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      I always have foam earplugs with me, as well as -15db NRR custom molded earplugs with filters, just in case noise gets too loud.
      Being in the acute phase, I also never travel without earmuffs.

I would avoid either of these environments without protection, you are never too far from a blasting siren, a noisy motorcycle or (while partying), loud loudspeakers. Your ears have been damaged, it's time to face that reality.

12. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That depends, if you have nobody to talk to at the time, just use the foam ones.
      I personally use filters and have earmuffs on top of those during my commute, just in case I need to pay attention to someone talking to me or whatnot while still getting a decent amount of protection.

While I am home or at work, I don't wear any protection whatsoever, while I am out with friends I just use the filtered earplugs, they are only -15 dB rated so that's enough to protect against sudden noises while being able to converse with ease.

13. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Nope, never to what?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      What filtered ones? I want to get/try that kind but I don't know anything about that type or where to get them.

15. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Everyone is different. See how you get on in different situations. But don’t become a recluse. Live your life.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am personally using this brand, but I am not sure if it's available outside of France:

https://www.interson-protac.com/audioprothesistes/pianissimo

There are other equivalent ones though.

17. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      When I am walking alongside traffic, I wear the musician earplugs as trucks, sirens and motorcycles are quite loud. If I am just walking from the car to the store, I do not use anything, but carry earplugs with me in case there is nearby construction or lawn service.

Check out the Eargasm musician plugs.