Scam?: Tinnitus Terminator

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by LouRich, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Arrojo

Arrojo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One too many rock concerts
      All of the warnings on money-back guarantees for this product has spurred me to inquiring with the "Tinnitus Pill" company (different company) regarding exactly when I need to claim (payment made or pills received? 60 days or 6 weeks)?

2. Karl Erickson

Karl Erickson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks for the feedback. Every so often I get intrigued with these things.

3. StuartShssh!

StuartShssh! Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I found 3 different websites with Timothy Seaton listed, with 3 different prices ($97,$47, and $39), -AND 3 DIFFERENT PHOTOS OF MR. SEATON! > WHO is this guy???????

4. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I bought the program and followed the instructions which consisted of basically listening to classical music, sounds of nature for like 15 minutes a day for about 30 days and it did nothing to reduce my T. Then they tried to sell you a whole bunch of miracle cures for other medical ailments. Bunch of Bull so dont buy it !!!!!!!!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Tinnitus Terminator, should really be a guy similar to Arnold Swartzeneger, on the hunt, looking for all the Tinnitus scam guys out there and then.....eliminating them! :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. FuzzyFrey
      Dreaming

FuzzyFrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sustained loud noise through headphones
      From what I have seen of these kinds of scams over the years, and not just tinnitus related ones, there's a few warning signs that they all tend to have in common, among which are;

* The 'cure' for tinnitus is discovered by a single individual, one of whom we can't find any info on any official news sites or anywhere other than on their own site or an affiliate (which there usually are a lot of). Like "Thomas Coleman" and "Geoff Barker" before him, "Timothy Seaton" does not exist. He is a work of fiction. You can often tell this by in this case, two completely different people being used to play Seaton. Others are either paid actors or most likely stock photos, since actual pictures of these likely individuals are so hard to come by.

* Speaking of which, most cures for ailments and diseases are found by whole teams of scientists and university medical students with plenty of funding and resources. It is nice to think that one altruistic person managed to discover this by themselves, but in reality it is very very rarely like that. Had it been me, I'd be telling the whole world my discovery - why would anybody with such good intentions seriously want to keep it to themselves?

* Sites offering miracle treatment scams tend to say that it won't be long before the site or videos get taken down because the medical industry "does not want you to know", and/or that "there is only a few left in stock and they're going fast!". Why wouldn't our doctors want us to know? One of my cousins is a fully qualified doctor and would never want people to remain suffering if she knew a scientifically proven treatment was out there.

* The videos/articles that introduce these sites are often incredibly long and are so full of waffle that they don't actually reveal anything on how to treat yourself other than to "buy this product!". It isn't anything more than a long winded glorified sales pitch that takes so long to even just get to the point. Some of them will waffle on about the creator of the treatment's fictitious life story too. Many of them, such as the Tinnitus Terminator one, also feature paid actors to play the part of whoever created the treatment, or play customer testimonies. It is incredible just how low some people will stoop for a quick buck.

And I'm sure there's many other red flags that the good people here will have spotted as well. Too many to mention! It is better to let solid science and research guide us. I hate the fact that many types of tinnitus are currently incurable, but just because science hasn't found the answer yet it doesn't mean someone else can fill in the gaps with whatever hogwash they claim works.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Great post! Spot on.

Another good checklist is this:

How to Spot Pseudoscience

• Useful Useful x 1
    8. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      There is a special area of hell reserved for these scam artists preying on the misery of unfortunate folk desperate for something to end their plight.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      As well as, there should be a special area of Heaven, for those who suffer from tinnitus!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. RichieRing

RichieRing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Always but worse since October 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know
      I found this group doing a search for this product. Like others have said here, theirs no credible evidence that this product works or doesn't work. I wish we could find someone who's tried it. And by the way the price has gone from $47 to $67.

11. Voltron

Voltron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Football game
      I tried to watch the video. The long, unnecessary intro made me suspect because it seems to be there just to make you feel 'invested' after sitting through it. But the thing that turned me away was the testimony segment. All were obviously paid actors that were trying to seem natural and genuine. Way too easy to spot a fake already...but several fakes in a row make it impossible to miss.

12. relax1
      Balanced

relax1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1980
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hello All
      I tried this product out a few weeks ago
      They supply you with sounds to listen to for 15 minutes a day
      There's nothing 'tailor made' about the sounds
      It seems that everybody gets the same sounds for their money
      It didn't work at all
      Fortunately, I got my money back in full
      relax1

13. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Tinnitus Talk Has Nothing to Do with "Tinnitus Terminator"

Lately, we have received a lot of contact requests from desperate tinnitus sufferers (mostly guest visitors) asking where their product is, or other order-related questions about "Tinnitus Terminator".

It is very sad seeing this many people having fallen or continue falling for something (How to Spot Pseudoscience) that runs rampant on the internet (and yet what is completely inconclusive, to say the least, and clearly not based on verifiable evidence) thanks to the affiliate schemes of these products, making them very lucrative for internet marketers.

Anyone who has brought this product and has specific order-related questions about it, needs to contact whomever was actually responsible for selling the product.

Thanks!

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. MattS156

MattS156 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Early 1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Well, I'm gonna give it a shot. I just shelled out the $67 and downloaded the MP3s and PDFs that go along with it. Of course, they tried to get me to buy about four other things that "would never be offered again" so I'm not entirely optimistic. When I see crap like that, I become suspicious. Fortunately, where I work I can listen to headphones all day, which I often do to mask out other conversations around the office, so I'll be able to give this program a shot right away and check it out. I'll transfer these to my tablet and give it a listen. Whether it works or not, I'll post something here. If it doesn't and I try to get my money back, I'll post the results of that, too. I'm kind of desperate to make this go away. Currently, I listen to audio books at night to mask out the ringing. I hope this Tinnitus Terminator works. If not, I might look this guy up and see if he wants my 260-lb. frame standing on his chest demanding answers.

15. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Ah, it seems this has the classic (akin to Tinnitus Miracle and Reverse Your Tinnitus) feature where, when you are taking action to leave the site, but decide to stay when it asks, you can buy the program for $47 instead of $67. Seems the action needs to be repeated twice.

They have definitely used all the tricks found in the internet marketers' bible.

See below...

tinnitus-terminator.gif

Yes, please let the rest of us know how you go on with it. Could you possibly show us excerpts of the program (screenshots or something) too?

• Like Like x 1
    16. Ginny1588

Ginny1588 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, folks, I am new to the Terminator program. I'm confused about something and hope you can help.

When I first signed on, paid my dues , I got an email and it has orange highlighted tapes. The one tape, the first and only tape I heard was a monotone sound that I found rather pleasant. There were more tapes but I can't find them. What's up?

17. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Please read this post:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/scam-tinnitus-terminator.10009/page-3#post-189129

18. david mcfarlin

david mcfarlin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I know this to good to be true but I'm trying to get feedback on (Tinnitus Terminator) by Timothy Seaton claiming for 67 dollars this sound therapy will cure tinnitus , of course by having tinnitus as bad as I do pray to a miracle

19. C. Bishop

C. Bishop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/1993
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Military Service Related
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Jued0713

Jued0713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late March 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss I think
      Hi,
      My name is Judy Richard. I purchased the Tinnitus Terminator for $67 dollars about 2 weeks ago.

21. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      let us know what you think. A friend bought me a version. I dont see how it can work.

22. Ally

Ally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Father has it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly working around loud equipment while working
      This is in response to LouRich. I just came across this site while searching tinnitus stuff. What upsets me are the responses you got in regards to your inquiry. You asked about Tinnitus Terminator and everyone here decided it was a scam. Maybe it is, but $67 is cheaper than 1 night out for dinner so I think if you think it could work you should try it. Doctor's take MUCH more than that and haven't provided any sort of relief for my father. Yet everyone still goes to the doctor hoping for some relief. I haven't decided yet of I am going to get it, but I am considering it. And it is true that some things may work for some people and not for others. Everyone has an opinion, but most times they are just speculation and not actual users of a product. There will always be scams or unrealistic hype on various products. As a consumer you need to make the best decisions you can and decide that if you purchase something it may not do what you want it to or what it promises, but that is part of the process. Good luck!

23. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Tinnitus Terminator is utter nonsense.

I watched the terrible video (not to the end - how long is that rubbish??). There is absolutely nothing there to tell me it is legit. He basically says that he is ripping off Neuromonics - which he says is a cure.... Even Neuromonics don't claim their product cures tinnitus.

Neuromonics is based on an assessment of the patient, testing their hearing and calibrating a device to their profile. Tinnitus terminator appears to be the same sound for everyone. You cannot deliver any audio therapy like that, we all have our own hearing profile and an audio therapy needs to be personalised if it's scientifically designed to target tinnitus.

It's based on a lie, where on earth can you go from there? If you start with nonsense you can only go downhill.

My advice would be to avoid this - probably easy as the video could be taken down at any time because it's hated by doctors etc etc.

If anyone has bought it I would appreciate knowing how they designed the audio tracks for you when you bought it.
      A good link to a review, thanks.

@MattS156 Any update?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. April
      No Mood

April Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible whiplash
      I tried this product with high hopes that it would work for me but after listening to the audio files for one month I had no change at all in my tinnitus. I have requested a refund and for those interested here is the link on Tinnitus Terminator to do so:

http://tinnitus-terminator.net/help/refunds/

The audio files were came in three sections to be listened to in this order: white noise, classical music, and nature sounds.

25. April
      No Mood

April Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible whiplash
      I wanted to pass along this dynamite site for anyone who wants to hear really good audio sounds for masking tinnitus or just for relaxing or working. They have a vast array to choose from. There are no charges on this site unless you want something special and you can listen to anything you want as often as you want. If you want to give a small donation you can but it isn't necessary. The man who put this all together is Dutch, Stéphane Pigeon, who is a signal processing Ph.D. engineer who travels around the world with high end audio equipment recording sounds. There is a place on the mynoise site where you can calibrate your own hearing for certain recorded sounds they have. I tried it and was amazed. I heard high pitched sounds (bugs in a jungle) that I never heard before . . .it was amazing. I had listened to that same selection before I calibrated my hearing and heard all the jungle sounds but didn't know there were bugs sounds because it was out of my hearing range. It truly was like hearing before I had tinnitus. This guy is serious about what he does and I have never recommended a site before but I am really impressed with the quality of recordings he put together. No claims to curing tinnitus or anything else. He is just providing background sounds for people in all walks of life.

Here is the link to the site:

https://mynoise.net/

• Like Like x 1
    26. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi April. Did the site do any tests on you to personalise the audio?

Stephane is a great guy, I collaborated on one of the sounds on his site (neuromodulator) :) He's seriously talented at sound design. His sounds are high quality, I imagine they are way superior to anything the tinnitus terminator uses.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. April
      No Mood

April Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible whiplash
      Steve,

Tinnitus Terminator provided 'one size fits all' to their download files. . . .nothing special, nothing unique, no personalization. Total waste of time but I'll get my money back.

That is great that you collaborated on one of Stephane's sounds. I agree that he is very talented and his passion for what he is doing is very evident.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Robert C

Robert C Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection causing Meniere's Disease
      I think Steve is absolutely correct
      And after reading Duane Browning's blog at
      http://fixedgear808.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/an-honest-review-of-tinnitus-terminator.html
      it truly lays Tinnitus Terminator to rest, and hopefully nobody else will fall into the evil clutches of Timothy Seaton (whoever he really may be). I am really glad I read Duane Browning's critical review before pushing the button to purchase the product.

29. Robert C

Robert C Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection causing Meniere's Disease
      I am wondering if anyone has thought further about Tinytus' post way back on page 2 of this forum?

Or should that be the subject of a separate scam forum?

I have looked at the website and it seems that they are applying some science. They calculate each sufferer's exact tinnitus frequency and then remove that specific frequency from any white noise or other of their recordings as described on their how-it-works page
      http://www.audionotch.com/how-it-works

Naturally you do have to pay a subscription before trying, but they claim "AudioNotch comes with an unconditional 30 day money-back guarantee. If you're not happy with our service, we don't deserve your money"

Again, I do have that feeling if "notch removal therapy" were in any way successful it would be hot news all over the Tinnitus Talk website by now and audiologists would be recommending it everywhere.

It's over to you seasoned experts, Markku and Steve, to comment on this one?

30. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Robert.

There is a body of work behind notch therapy but as with any therapy for tinnitus it will not work for everyone. It's not a scam as it actually is based on finding your frequency and changing the brain response to sound and has been clinically tested in various studies. Contrast to this tinnitus terminator where they appear to have recorded the output from a Neuromonics device and are selling it on again - even though the sounds are personalised to the user.

The beauty of notch therapy is that you can easily do it yourself for free., with free software on the computer. It's labour intensive and you need to make sure you use good quality audio to start with but it's doable.