Scam?: Tinnitus Terminator

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by LouRich, Jun 16, 2015.

1. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Indeed. This study seems to claim it does not seem to be effective.

2. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Following from something on a blog that was linked to earlier in this thread, I'm not sure that this product is copyrighted in any way.

Does anyone here have a copy they can look at and say who the alleged copyright is to?

3. Vernon Frazee

Vernon Frazee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Which one is the real Timothy Seaton?

Timothy_Seaton_Tinnitus-Terminator.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    4. Rose S

Rose S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      working heavy machinery.
      Thanks for letting me know before I wasted my money! Did any of you who paid the money get ANY GAIN?

5. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      They have an iPhone app as well - I use it at night with "cozy phones" as to not annoy my wife with a sound machine.

6. Blssdw4

Blssdw4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello! I have a 15 year old son who has been dealing with tinnitus. We are still at the beginning stages of figuring all of this out, but while doing some research, I came across a sound therapy program called Tinnitus Terminator. In case some of you haven't tried it, or even heard of it, I wanted to mention it in case it could help someone. You can easily find it with a google search. And if there is anyone on this thread who has used it, can you please share your experience with me? Thank you.

7. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      seems his tinnitus is fairly new. don't sign up for any sound therapy. you can use generalfuzz.com/acrn for free; it's essentially the neuromonics protocol that people pay thousands for. it's unlikely to "cure" anything does does produce some nice residual inhibition.

give your son some space to freak out. it's inevitable.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Blssdw4

Blssdw4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      What was the final outcome of this treatment? Did it help?

9. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately the only true treatment is time. Some heal, most get better, some get worse.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Krianna

Krianna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mom's =surgery (75 years) mine is intermittant
      THANK YOU, EVERYONE! I just sat through he way-too-long infomercial for "tinnitus terminator" and did a search to see if I could find anyone who tried it and happened on this thread. Because of your input I will not be buying this product. My Mom has had tinnitus for 75 years following a severe ear infection and surgery which left her deaf in one ear with tinnitus. I was hoping it would work for her. I on the other hand, get tinnitus intermittently. Once after a car accident, several times after sleeping on a plane or sleeping funny on my arm. Sometimes it is in my right ear, other times my left, or the worst is when it is BOTH. Each of those times I went to my Chiropractor who adjusted my atlas, occiput, jaw, and the base of my skull and it WENT AWAY!!! YAY for me, but I brought my mom and although he has helped her neck and hip, it didn't help her tinnitus.

11. EricB

EricB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
    12. April
      No Mood

April Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible whiplash
      @EricB

It's a waste of time to have anything to do with Tinnitus Terminator. My personal opinion is that its a scam. I tried it and no change at all. It took me awhile but I finally got my money back.

Read my post on page 3 of this forum. The My Noise site is exceptional and you can customize whatever sound you like. The 'Neuromodulation' sound on that site was helpful for me. I can't explain why or how it helped but I experienced a difference. It may not have lessened my T but I coped better after listening to it. Steve, on this forum could probably explain how it works as it was a joint endeavor and he was involved. Some of the sounds are therapeutic others are for enjoyment or relaxation. I calibrated the sound to my hearing and was amazed that for the first time in years I could hear high pitched sounds which normally are out of my hearing range.

13. Robert C

Robert C Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection causing Meniere's Disease
      Thank you for bringing that study to our attention, Greg - in fact 'Notch Theory' (i.e. removing the frequency band of the tinnitus experienced by the sufferer from music etc) seems counter intuitive. Tinnitus, as a result of partial hearing loss, is the brain's response to the missing frequency (i.e. it generates the missing frequency and we hear that as a tinnitus sound).

So then, what about the reverse - What about listening to music or sound with the tinnitus band enhanced above the level of the background (i.e a reverse notch or a frequency spike) or just the tinitus frequency spike only? It does sound like an unpleasant experience, but the brain would then have to acknowledge the presence of that frequency; the brain would realise that it can indeed hear in that frequency range (as it is being tricked by the higher volume in that frequency bandwidth). With any luck, the brain might then stop, or reduce, the amount of compensating tinnitus it produces (i.e. a reduction in the unprovoked single-frequency buzzing that we hear).

Has anybody thought of this and tried it out? Anybody with the equipment to diagnose their exact tinnitus frequency(ies) and then able to produce a recording of this?

Such an experiment obviously has to be tailored to each individual sufferer, but it is worth a try?

14. tinyturnip

tinyturnip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How are you getting it for $47? I'm only seeing it for $67. I've suffered with this for most of my life. For me, it's worth trying to get even a little bit quieter!

15. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      You can download it for free, look up the links below

16. MerkinBill

MerkinBill Member

Upstate NY (Formerly NYC, imagine the noise!)
      Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      He's a chameleon!

In all seriousness, my wife came across the link to TT and sent it to me. I listened to it, trying to keep my cynicism at bay. Aside from the tropes (for want of a better word) common to miracle cure sales pitches, I would hope that anyone who supposedly suffered as he claimed to, would not use those sounds that make me want to immediately close the video rather than listen to the pitch.

Add to that the unnamed, yet well-known composer who helped him develop it, the vagary surrounding how long the video would remain available, the "miracle" claims, and the final "Worth $197... not even $97... Just $67." taunt. It was tough to make it through the pitch, much less consider shelling out the cash, regardless of the 60 guarantee.

My version was the $67 one. The wife even said that the worst we could do would be to lose $67, but it's not much if it actually worked.

Which is how I ended up here. Thanks, all! You saved me $67 and some frustration.

Update: Having finished reading all the way through the posts, I see that the $47 version (Leaving??? I'll take $20 off!) comes around when you try to leave the page twice, selecting "stay on page" both times.

17. April
      No Mood

April Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible whiplash
      @MerkinBill

I think there will always be individuals who will prey on people who are desperate. I know when I'm having a really bad day it affects my internal 'scam meter' and I start thinking, "well maybe this will work and it sounds like a good rap, etc., etc. I fell for the Tinnitus Terminator pitch and paid for it. It was really hard to find a way to get my money back on the site but after several days and being tenacious about it the money was charged back to my credit card. I didn't know about Tinnitustalk and the forums on it until after I had bought TT. Wish I had because I wouldn't have wasted my time with it.

18. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I bought the program which consisted of some nature sounds and classical music which you listened to progressively 15 minutes per day. It didnt do a dam thing for me or anyone else that I have talked to. Save your money it is a scam !!!! It is horrible these preditors out there trying to make profits scamming people who are suffering. i think a well placed right hook in this dickheads ear would be well deserved....

19. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Did you ask for a refund? Hope you did. Get your money back, don't give it to scamsters.

20. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I agree with you @nuts. I meant @gotyoubynuts, just a shorter version like @just1. Why do they have to prey on us headringers? Right now it's Otonomy or bust my friends. Hell, I even bought the stock (OTIC)

21. Tudor

Tudor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      never
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      none
    22. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Timothy Seaton changes appearance through a process called "plasticity". It's a miracle really, just like his program.

23. richardstephens

richardstephens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1980 +/-
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      never knew
      I have suffered tinnitus since the 1970s. I have been to numerous doctors in Spain and the United States and, summing up, the general consensus is that it is something you just have to live with. The only cure is death. That's when you won't hear it any more. This tinnitus terminator is a glorious scam preying on people who unfortunately suffer from it.
      So take my doctors advice and learn to live with it. That's also the cheapest treatment around and it's guaranteed.

24. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Death is a cure of last resort. Hey Otonomy stock was up 10.8 % today so maybe some relief is coming?

25. April
      No Mood

April Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible whiplash
      Well, I agree for the most part with this advice but you have to realize that tinnitus can range from mild to unbearable. I doubt any doctor would say "learn to live with it" if his patient was exhibiting signs of extreme anxiety, depression, or thoughts of suicide. I have reactive tinnitus and my mental state has been from one extreme to the other. I have learned to live with it but when I am having a really bad day no one except possible someone who has reactive tinnitus can understand the mental and physical pain I'm in. I'm living with it daily, drug free, and hope that my coping abilities continue to get me to the next day. I really wanted to believe that the Tinnitus Terminator would help . . .I needed some hope and was desperate, but a scam is a scam.

26. Bumps
      Stalking

Bumps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I listened to Tinnitus Terminator pitch and finally got to the end. My problem with ordering neuromonics is
      1. T. Seaton spends countless minutes informing us of his situation and how he discovered an inexpensive simple method of curing tinnitus. He goes on and on about the ineffective surgeries and costs. Then, BAM, he presents the cure for only $67.00.
      2. There is a claim which states '100% money back' but with no additional information. For instance, who pays for the return shipping charges? What is the cost to return the item? Where is the contact phone number? Must I pay for the cure to get this info?
      In summary, there are too many of these same oh, same oh ads presented by the most sincere looking and sounding sales people. They offer the hook line peaking your interest. The pitch goes on and on in order to cover every doubt the listener might have. Same old format. And very little info regarding the return amount.
      If there is anyone who has tried this product, other than the people in the video, could you please tell us your opinion and if it is worthy of a mere $67.00? Plus shipping? Amazon offers Tinnitus Therapy for $47.00 with only a three-star review!:dunno:

27. April
      No Mood

April Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible whiplash
      @Bumps You can read my earlier posts concerning TT. Long story short . . .don't waste your money. I ordered it, did the program, no difference in my tinnitus. They don't (won't) send you a CD, its all downloaded to your computer so there is no cost to return the item. I had a real hassle finding out how to get my money back because there wasn't a phone number nor a link to get money back. After much aggravation I finally had the money charged back to my credit card. Don't fall for the hype as it is a scam.

28. L.G. Murphy Sr.

L.G. Murphy Sr. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I purchased this Tinnitus Terminator program and the first thing they did was double charge my account. In less than a minute I was charged a second time for the same product.
      Now its all my fault and/or a banking error.
      Don't purchase unless you can afford paying twice.
      They havent mentioned their 100% guaranteed, no questions asked, return policy.
      Interesting.

29. Tutuff

Tutuff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-29-13
      I really like the part where they tell you that if you don't buy it now for $67 that you will probably have to pay $5000 in the future due to a law suit........wow

30. Gino

Gino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      IDK