Should a Tinnitus Sufferer Wear Earplugs When Swimming?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sash, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      I noticed swimming pools are quite loud.

Is it worth wearing earplugs when swimming?

Also are there any earplugs recommended especially for swimmers with tinnitus that do not fall out?

2. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      I used swimming plugs when I went to the beach. The Walgreens brand worked well for me, though it wasn't very loud when I was there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I went lake and ocean swimming last summer and I don't wear plugs, with that said I don't have ear problems, meaning no hearing loss.

4. Dntmastrinhdphns
      Wishful

Dntmastrinhdphns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/27/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud mixing and mastering in headphones :(
      I'm not only worried about the noise at the pool... Can the water getting in the ear make tinnitus worse? I just recetnly started experiencing this ringing

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yes, they are custom made.

6. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think it can, more so if you are prone to ear infections. But a lot of people do swim with tinnitus, even dive with tinnitus, so basically it's an other thing we have to try for ourselves.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    7. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      No reason for earplugs for swimming with tinnitus, unless it is an otherwise loud setting that needs noise protection. Unfortunately, the swimming earplugs don't have much protection, and many don't provide a NRR, so better to avoid the area than rely on these products for any real protection.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    8. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 mild T 2019 T worsening H onset
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown / probably noise induced
      I had the same last year. It wasn't particularly loud in the pool, nevertheless after swimming I had tinnitus worsening and another baseline :( I can only suppose it was due to the water hitting my eardrums (had no earplugs in).
      The last ear infection I had was 2007. So I think swimming must have made something mechanically messed up in my ears.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Tavia R

Tavia R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with condition
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with condition-recently diagnosed/treated for migraines
      I got a very severe case swimmer's ear when I was 11 that lasted 3 weeks, I remember all I did was sit in a recliner and sob from the extreme pain I was in. I already had tinnitus and hyperacusis before that, but I've just always regretted not protecting my ears that one summer because of the "what if..." I've just learned that if you already have ear problems: don't tempt fait, protect yourself.
      I like the "SureFire EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus filtered Earplugs" (that's their name on Amazon). They have a snap plug in them that I just love. Unsnap to hear everyone, snap back in to dive into the water and keep your ears safe. They're rated for 24 db, though earplugs that aren't foam or custom made never match up to their decibel ratings so just be warned if that's an issue for you. I seriously recommend these even if you have earplugs you like better, I wear these where I don't want to damage or lose my $200 ear plugs, namely in water like the pool and shower and where I could lose them in bed or camping.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Thank you for this recommendation, I have just ordered them from Amazon. Anyway don't think I will be swimming soon for obvious reasons.

These earplugs will be better than nothing. Though I have lots of earplugs now looks like I have a collection :)

I definitely need something as the hyperacusis always is worse after swimming but sometimes it goes down to the usual level of hyperacusis.

• Like Like x 1