Solsaem Clinic (Dr. Minbo Shim) Experience

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by JohnAdams, Feb 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      quick question john... what frequency is your hearing loss centered around?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      It is?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ~6.5 Khz.

4. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yes. There is debate on whether an "activator" e.g. calcium needs to be added.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Have you tried hearing aids? If they work, then why not go for the PRP again?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can hear fine now.

• Like Like x 3
    7. GlennAz

GlennAz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Young child
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lord only knows
      This is 100% true.

I noticed firsthand that Dr. Shim has a very successful practice. John noticed that too. Dr. Shim has a good percentage Korean patients, many older. Lots of people come in everyday, even Saturdays.

I think of scammers as people that ‘earn a living’ ripping others off.

Dr. Shim doesn’t need to rip-off or prey on desperate people. He already is successful in his practice, without trying to help people with cochlear regeneration, too.

Some of you will say, but it’s fast money. It’s not so fast. He had me in his office 3-4 hrs per day.

I’m so thankful he’s a concerned, caring doctor.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      How’s your tinnitus?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The ringing from my mom kissing my ear is almost completely gone. It's like fleeting sometimes, but that's not an issue and I still have about 7 weeks before the recovery window is over.

10. Ray552

Ray552 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Any other tinnitus left over?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      Yo, did the tinnitus from the laundry cleaning go away?

12. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      I’m hoping you are fully cured by the end of it.

However, even if you are, I doubt the medical community over here would care though. It’s sad but true.

• Like Like x 1
    13. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I have tried massage therapy and inquired about acupuncture but don't have much faith in either. I did also inquire about a craniosacral massage. There is a person that does that about 25 miles away. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

I had a great day that I seemed normal but I thought it was from anti-inflammatory and B vitamin supplements that I started eating. Kinda what this guy was talking about:

https://drjockers.com/tinnitus/

I sure hope you find some relief from your relentless squeal....that must be very tough to deal with.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
      • Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not entirely yet. It comes and goes but I still have 7 weeks or so of recovery time. It's gone right now, but tomorrow is a new day.

15. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Thank you brother Aremis2k.

Daniel

16. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Yah, the squeal is freaking deadly... I hold it together for my kids... if it wasn't for them, I'd definitely indulge in hardcore drug abuse. Having said that, I'm getting emotionally and physically stronger.

It sounds like you got two things, high frequency hearing loss and some TMJ or inflammation stuff. Here's a suggestion, feel free to reject. Try making ginger tea from the real ginger root with garlic in the morning. Keeps the blood pressure down and is really good for inflammation. Be super mindful of your diet... no salt or sugar... easier said than done. You may get good results.

Try the massage, over here I can get two hours for $12USD, I know at home, I'm American, they will want a fortune. Cry poor, and haggle for a good price, if it works, you could do it regularly.

It sounds like your static drives you crazy as well. I'm doing my best, some days are easier than others, but this has definitely been the most challenging situation in my life.

I have compassion for all people especially those in pain.

This forum has a lot of young ones 13, 14, 16 year old kids. My heart goes out to them... life can be very cruel. I often think of those kids in Raqqua in Syria, the place was bombed into the stone ages, tinnitus central and kids with their flesh burnt off... on a brighter note...

It's a nice sunny day here, had a good swim, taught some Chinese business men for two hours, despite the tinnitus feeling pretty dam good. Hope you are too.
      Try the anti-inflammatory diet, and stay clear of Mongolian food if you can, don't avoid the women, they're top shelf. And please, where ear plugs on your motorcycle... take good care.

Daniel

17. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Hello John, can you disclose if your tinnitus is totally gone? Do you experience moments of silence after your treatment in Korea? I saw your detailed description of the method conducted by Minbo and I try to find and ENT here in Poland who would like to try this experimental procedure (it's difficult to find one though).

Do you think there is a risk of making one's tinnitus worse or is it a totally safe procedure?

I cannot say at the moment if I am for or against the treatment in Korea since there is not enough evidence and anyway it is too expensive for me (I save money for Neuromod), but if I could find a doctor here who would do the procedure for much lower money I would consider it, if it is safe.

I can say I have negligible hearing loss (-25dB at some frequencies), and my tinnitus is mild (it was measured on the level of 10dB loudness and 23dB masking) and I am not really incapacitated by it, but it would be awesome to have silence or at least a reduction.

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is not. But maybe it will be in a couple of months.
      Yes.
      Good for you for taking your health and life into your own hands instead of waiting or the ultra slow western medical system do it for you.
      It's super safe.

19. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I remember a while ago you talked about how Neuromod costing $3,000 - $4,000 was highway robbery and that, that was way too expensive to afford.

How did you afford the initial $9,000 and then a second procedure costing $9,000 ($18,000?)?

I’m not insinuating anything, I am just wondering what changed seeing that $3,000 is significantly less than $9,000 for each Shim treatment.

Did you come across some money to make money a non-issue?

20. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Laundry cleaning acoustic trauma?

21. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m going to venture a guess on this one. $3000-$4000 is too much to pay for a simple treatment. However, $18,000 is completely reasonable for a “cure”.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Such a weird question.

Hey you! Where did you get your money?

Dude Neuromod's cost is ridiculous because the technology in it is so simple. It's basically an iPod with a tens unit and a program that times the zaps.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I sat next to a really loud washing machine for like 40 minutes and it spiked my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was just surprised because $3,000 for Neuromod seemed outrageous to you for a treatment, but Shim was three times more.

I’m surprised you didn’t wait for Neuromod and then go try Shim after if it didn’t work. Would have been more cost effective since you made it seem like money was a huge factor. I guess it is safe to assume your financial situation changed.

I didn’t mean to ask too personal a question like where the money came from. I should have phrased it asking if your status had changed.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not because I can't afford it, but because I know what kind of technology would go into it. You could disassemble a TENS unit and control it with an Arduino connected through USB to a PC with some very simple program if you knew how the timing worked with the zaps and what kind of sounds to play. Total cost, less than $100. I actually may just buy one so I can reverse engineer it and post instructions on the internet for people to make one themselves. You could probably make the tongue part out of a spoon connected to the TENS unit and wrapped in electrical tape.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It’s not the cost of the unit that makes it expensive. It is the cost of the years of research and investment that it costs that much. All the variable and fixed costs over the years are going to be payed off by the device in the end. It’s a return on the investment.

The cost of creating the PRP injections is probably minimal, but the research and various other aspects behind it make it expensive. Same principle.

• Agree Agree x 5
    27. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You aren’t paying just for the material device. You are paying for the years of R&D and trials. Neuromod didn’t pop into existence overnight with a “simple” device and demand a premium for it. This has taken years and cost them significant amounts of capital. At this point they are the ones assuming all the risk.

With Shim you are paying a premium for his education and an experienced steady hand. Spinning down blood and bone marrow does not cost $9000 or $18,000 depending on the price of the day.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      But Minbo is open about how the process works. Neuromod is not. If I bought a Neuromod and posted online instructions on how to replicate it, I bet they'd try to sue me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Every time someone asks Minbo about his procedure, that I have seen, he has become very defensive.

University of Michigan (same type of device) tell you exactly how they do it on their website, down to the timings.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      He's not on Skype to teach people molecular biology.
      Well, do we have a DIY instruction set yet?