Solsaem Clinic (Dr. Minbo Shim) Experience

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by JohnAdams, Feb 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      @JohnAdams, we have had to defend ourselves against your baseless accusations so many times by now, both publicly and in private; this is becoming really tiresome. We have far better things to do than argue with you.

I trust that most of our members have the good sense to know what Tinnitus Hub is all about and that we are not the evil conspirators you make us out to be. We are completely transparent about what we do; see for instance this new thread. If you don't like our work, that's fine, but at least get your facts straight and stop with the allegations of evil conspiracy.

Same goes for your allegations against @David. I think he explained exceedingly well in our podcast episode what the BTA is doing for a cure, and it's certainly not in line with the picture you're painting.

Also, I need to point out that your posts in this thread are becoming increasingly aggressive. Calling people "mental midgets" or "idiotic losers" (for whatever reason) goes directly against our code of conduct. Let's keep this a place for civil discussion. Others are as much entitled to their opinions as you.

• Agree Agree x 32
    2. Liam_Cairns

Liam_Cairns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Originally loud Music and was worsened by Micro-suction
      Man I wonder what ever happened to @bill 112, I hope he's okay.

• Good Question Good Question x 5
      • Hug Hug x 2
    3. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      This is a perfect example of why you run into blowback.

A little conflict goes with the territory but please learn to follow a minimum level of decorum if you expect people to take what you say seriously. People generally tune out when they're being called names (or threatened with name-calling).

• Agree Agree x 15
    4. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Jesus this thread has turned into a battle zone.

If that is Minbo Shim's Tinnitus Talk account and he does watch this thread the rare times he comes on... Then he'll definitely probably not want to get into contact with anyone here...

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. Liam_Cairns

Liam_Cairns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think that what @Ed209 asked was completely reasonable, he has asked very simple questions in a non-combatitive non-rude way and Dr. Shim replied in a way that I would call suspicious at the very least.

When someone starts getting defensive and combatitive when you ask them simply to back up their claims you know something is wrong.

And then there is the whole issue of his dodging questions about pay. For all we know you could just be experiencing the placebo effect of a lifetime.

Ed209 has this community's best interests in heart and just doesn't want anyone to get scammed. I don't see why that is such a crime? Or how that makes him schizo?

• Agree Agree x 17
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Man, this stuff is so hard to understand.

The first trial was 29 days after onset of hearing loss.

The second trial I need to read again, like 4 times. It's just out of my realm of expertise. Not stupid, just no formal training whatsoever.

IGF1 seems to be so promising with PRP as the vehicle or delivery system.
      The Japanese seem to be doing a lot of research as well as Stanford on this growth factor. I wonder if this has become standard protocol in Japan?
      This is why conferences and communication is so important for "peer review" and scientific progress to be made.

Bottom line... You have regained hearing and your tinnitus is gone.

I wish this for me and everyone on here too...

• Like Like x 6
    7. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tinnitus patients are an easy mark, that's why this is a battle zone. That's why Contrast has outed people selling medicine with claims that are false... Ripping people off.
      People have the same concerns about laser therapy, stem cell therapy, anything expensive because we are desperate and in a lot of pain. We have lost our old lives and many people are facing cochlear implants, or have raging hypercusis as you know.
      Being skeptical and inquisitive is science.

Obeying the "word" and accepting it on faith is religion.

I am sure everybody is stoked and happy John got his hearing back and is not tormented by tinnitus and wants the same for GlennAz, I think people here are being cautious because a lot of members are not cashed up and getting treatment would mean a bank loan, or tapping up relatives.

I am just interested in the science and PRP and to see if it will help more people.
      Like in Spider Man, "with great power, comes great responsibility"
      Big claims warrant good explanations... fair play generally.

What do you think GSC?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      As soon as I read him (Dr. Shimbo) replying “hearing will improve, then tinnitus disappears“ I knew this Minbo is just f***ckin* bullshit.

Hahahhaha.

I can’t believe the creator of this thread is still here trying to back up some fake scientific shit.

If you really are better then I think it’s better you stop stressing yourself and go enjoy your life tinnitus free instead of fighting for Mr. Kim Jong-un.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really well put.

Excellent ideas another sean.

Awesome idea... Have a third party... It would be great to get Stefan Heller, or Charles Liberman, or somebody like Karp. A scientist who understands this stuff. I do not... that's for sure... I am an arm chair doctor...

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Cool.

It has been shown in human clinical trials that IGF-1 eardrum injections may very well be capable of restoring hearing loss by regenerating hair cells, at the least protecting them from apoptosis, which is what's most important to the topic of this forum.

Dexamethasone steroid injections also have been shown to be effective at preventing permanent hearing loss when injected quickly after acoustic trauma. Neither of these things are being offered as a standard intervention for acoustic trauma.

This is not a popularity contest. This is not a contest at all. Let's work together to cure tinnitus. The BTA isn't doing that. They are actually not very transparent in their decision making processes. They are funding research into non curative studies while downplaying the effectiveness of things like dexamethasone treatment which is contradictory to published medical science.

Here is a breakdown of that study:

First from the BTA: https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/2018-at...lliance-tinnitus-priority-setting-partnership
      "The steroid dexamethasone was used on 27 patients, with 27 others in the control group receiving a saline injection. There was some improvement in both groups, but there was no significant difference between them [46]."

[46] Choi SJ, Lee JB, Lim HJ, In SM et al. Intratympanic dexamethasone injection for refractory tinnitus: prospective placebo-controlled study.Laryngoscope. 2013: Nov 123(11): 2817-22. doi: 10.1002/lary.24126

I have access to the full text of this study.
      Now we aren't even talking about IGF-1. PRP. Me. Minbo Shim. Whatever.

We are talking about the detrimental incompetence of the British Tinnitus
      Association.

Analysis of he aforementioned study:
      upload_2019-5-22_21-18-1.png

Introduction:

"Thirty patients with refractory tinnitus who were diagnosed in the Department of Otolaryngology, Ajou University Hospital, Suwon, Republic of Korea, between 2006 and 2007 were enrolled and then were assigned into two groups of ITDI (15 patients) or saline (15 patients) by permuted block randomization. Intratympanic injections were double‐blind performed four times within 2 weeks. After 4 weeks, we analyzed the improvement and aggravation rates of tinnitus using the following parameters: questionnaires, tinnitus handicap index (THI), loudness matching test, frequency, and duration of tinnitus."

"This work was supported by Konyang University Myunggok Research Fund of 2009."

Source:
      upload_2019-5-22_21-23-36.png

So this study was performed between 2 to 3 years after they were diagnosed with tinnitus. Of course intratympanic steroids wouldn't help them. Their hair cells would have long been dead (apoptosis).

The whole point of dexamethasone intervention is to be administered quickly, shortly after acoustic trauma, to prevent hair cell apoptosis (death of the hair cell).

The previous paper I've cited numerous times regarding IGF-1 treatment vs dexamethasone had populations that improved in both groups, but intervention occurred quickly, within 25 days, not 2 to 3 years.

"Patients who had been diagnosed as having SSHL and who had no recovery after systemic glucocorticoid treatment for more than 7 days were recruited within 25 days of SSHL onset"

Source:

upload_2019-5-22_21-27-48.png

The BTA is very influential in the tinnitus world of academia. They are quoted in college level textbooks about tinnitus and hyperacusis. They are dismissing and ignoring interventions that may have very well helped the majority of us avoid chronic hearing loss and tinnitus, if we had had access to them as soon as we first acquired our acoustic traumas. However, the main intervention being offered to us is oral steroids, which from the accounts of patients on this forum, including myself, is obviously ineffective. So why is that even the main intervention? Oral steroids? Wouldn't intratympanic steroids be more effective? Topical vs. systemic application? The science points to a more effective result when administered intratympanically shortly after onset of hearing loss. However, the mention of IT dexamethasone use from the BTA's website just downplays any use of this, while not mentioning that the study they sourced was on patients that were years into their onset. It seems as if they are making arguments against effective interventions while taking money and funding non-curative research into mindfulness. Am I the only one that sees how detrimental this is? Their actions are possibly increasing the number of people that don't recover from tinnitus, while also not funding research into the very things that may reverse it. Their very existence could be delaying any progress whatsoever.

Maybe the BTA staff have good intentions, but maybe they are not equipped to handle their level of influence.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello sir,

We are trying to keep the language clean and no racist insults. Please rephrase your comments, or apologize, or not contribute.

Your comments could be interpreted as racist, as that is not the docto'rs name, and this forum is a collective of different people of different nations, colors, and beliefs.

Thanks for understanding.

• Agree Agree x 9
    12. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I'd rather spend my money on a treatment that MAY work over something that's going to worsen my tinnitus!

• Agree Agree x 4
    13. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Sadly, I think it's pretty obvious he killed himself. He was very active on here and in a lot of pain because of noxacusis. Then, poof, he is gone.

• Like Like x 1
    14. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Over seventy injections seems too many to me and after the bone marrow procedure my ass modeling career could be over. :) Seriously though Dr. Shim's injections should be more well known by now if they worked so well I would think. I do hope they work though so we have a viable option at this time.

• Agree Agree x 11
      • Funny Funny x 1
    15. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      With respect, but you seem to be the one turning this into a contest, by becoming abusive against anyone who expresses even the slightest doubt or criticism against Dr. Shim. Your post above is fine, but some of your previous posts were really borderline, as have been some of your PMs to us, so please be more mindful of your language and attitude to others.

Indeed, we all want a cure, but some of us have different opinions on how to get there than others. You have a vision for how you think tinnitus will be cured, but many others are doubtful and believe that other treatment options are more likely to pan out and lead us towards a cure. You will have to respect this and stop trangressing against those who believe differently.

We (Tinnitus Hub) simply don't have the kind of influence that you seem to attribute to us, although I suspect you may find this hard to believe. I really don't understand where you get these ideas about us being some kind of influential organisation with powerful connections. We are a (very) small group of volunteers with a budget of a few thousand pounds a year (often we have to spend money out of our own pockets to keep this site and our other projects running). We loosely collaborate with some other tinnitus organisations, but are in no way in a position to tell them what their strategy should be (nor do they get to dictate ours).

The influence we do have is mainly through our public outreach channels, i.e. this site, our social media, videos and the podcast. This is why we have offered you (multiple times in fact) a platform via our podcast, but you declined. That said, we already have two podcast interviews lined up with experts on the topic of hearing regeneration: Marcelo Rivolta (see this thread), and one other tentative option with a large well-known foundation. We are doing our part to explore this topic, within the limited means available to us. So kindly refrain from any slander in future.

I don't want to comment on behalf of BTA, that's not up to me, but you do seem to making a lot of assumptions about what they might or might not be willing to do. If you want them to go in a certain direction, perhaps you should try having a civil conversation with them, and leave out all the allegations; you might be more likely to get somewhere that way, although it's possible that ship has sailed by now.

• Agree Agree x 15
    16. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Indeed, an independent third-party expert assessment seems the way forward, and hopefully would take some of the nastiness out of this thread.

• Agree Agree x 15
    17. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @JohnAdams, why don't you give Dr. Paul Shea a holler and see what he thinks of Dr. Shim's procedures? I thought you were from Tennessee and maybe could meet with him sometime?

He could give you his insight if it's viable at his clinic. I doubt he would do as many injections as Dr. Shim did to you though. Maybe he would do the PRP IT injections at the very least?

• Agree Agree x 12
      • Like Like x 3
    18. Liam_Cairns

Liam_Cairns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      All the studies I have read say that there is no difference between oral or intratympanic administration of steroids as long as the dose is 60mg and there is no difference between Dexamethasone or Prednisone in efficacy. Please post studies that find contrary as I have searched and cannot find any. I am legitimately interested as I guess it makes sense as it is directly delivered to the source.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 3
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Wouldn't the real question be whether or not there is enough IGF-1 content in PRP and/or bone marrow to diffuse into the round window to give efficacy in X number of doses?

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm a patient of The House Clinic and have been equally disappointed in their lack of research on a cure for tinnitus or tinnitus-related hearing loss. And all their treatments are as dated as you stated.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would suppose. Who would know the IGF-1 content in PRP? Can it be concentrated for minimal injections and still be effective, or is it all guesswork?

22. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
    23. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      @JohnAdams are you still in Korea on your second trip? Can you ask Dr. Mimbo Shim if he would speak with us? If time is an issue, we could collectively submit a list of questions for him to answer at his leisure? It would probably help reduce the questioning he gets directly that can take up so much of his time if it's done in a group fashion.

• Like Like x 4
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    24. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd love to drive my motorcycle along Florida's east coast next to the ocean. My noise seems pretty good atm but I lost my right hearing aid/masker :( Some anti-inflammatory supplements seem to be helping.

• Hug Hug x 2
    25. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dude...

Remember when you said you're weary of flying... Holy smokes... When I went back to the United States last year the flight literally destroyed me... I had to go to the ER in Boston after about 8 days... I was freaking. It's really a problem for me when it comes to getting home to the USA.

I seriously need to research boats, but am also afraid they may be noisy as hell. A difficult predicament.. for me at least. My kids fell in love with the USA last summer... I will break up the flights next time with rests in between...

Anyways, your comment really resonated with me, as flying is a real issue for some of us... The pressure and sound...

Take care bud and keep eating your stellar foods... Inspiring for me... I try and do the same with my limited resources...

Take care,
      Daniel

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    26. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Left ear spiking after nap for no apparent reason.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's the freaking mystery... why?

Perhaps your posture when you were sleeping since you have TMJ?

Man, I want to send you a box of prednisone and benzos, you can buy the stuff here like candy.

How can I manage to remain clean and sober is a mystery to me... maybe I'm growing up? It is nice as a back up just knowing it's there...

I hope your spike calms down ASAP... I am sure it will.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    28. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did get a 4 mg dosepac refilled today (21 tablets).

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    29. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Fly on an Airbus, such as the A380 or A350. I avoid noisy Boeing planes.

30. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I've been trying to dig up more local info about Dr. Mimbo Shim 심민보 (always reminds me of mumbo jumbo) and the clinic 솔샘이비인후과. He's been pretty active on Naver.

(Use Google Chrome to translate).

He's written 140 blog posts here which are pretty brief.

He's answered 630 help question here.

Then in another blog with 86 more detailed posts here with plenty of audiograms and the last was written today so it's current.

I've actually read a lot of interesting and informative stuff after going through all this and it has helped me understand him a bit better.

My biggest question so far is what the heck is Ant Study Academy on top of his clinic and do they really just study ants?

ant.jpg

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 2