Spontaneous Recovery Stats: Many Recover (3 Studies)

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Bill Bauer, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

This is driving me crazy I’m trying to be calm but I can’t stand the noise.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is just the hardest thing I’ve ever been through. Seriously.

What about the constant feeling of fullness?

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Klonopin can help lower tinnitus as it does for me when it's severe. Hope you start to feel better soon....

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Hotspur2931

Hotspur2931 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/flu
      Yeah that is totally normal. There are so many different ways that people perceive tinnitus. Some people also experience it as more of an almost physical, "brain buzz" sensation rather than (or in addition to) a noise.

I think eating healthily can really help. It makes you feel better in yourself, which makes things easier to cope with.

In my experience our perception of tinnitus has a strong psychological component. If I am really happy and settled and not thinking about it too much it seems like it's lot quieter. I don't know if it's ACTUALLY quieter or if I just don't notice it as much.

Because it's a sound produced by your brain, rather than a real sound like a lawnmower or something, the attention that you give it has a DIRECT result on how you perceive it. So the more you pay attention to it the more loud and annoying it will be. The more you turn attention away from it the more the sound will fade into the background.

You won't be able to fade it out instantly, by any means. It takes people months and years. That's why in the early days you just have to distract yourself and distract yourself. Just please have faith that it will get easier in time. Your mind and body are in shock right now and still adjusting.

And if you don't feel able to distract yourself right now then don't worry. Just take a bath, or lie on your bed with some heavy blankets over you and do some deep breathing. I remember in the early days there were times when literally just taking another breath was all I could manage. So if all you can do right now is breathe then do that. Just breathe. One breath after another, over and over. Get from this minute to the next. The minutes will turn into hours and then into days, and in time you'll realise time is passing more quickly and less painfully.

And when you do have energy to do something, anything, then do it. You might have to force yourself a bit. Don't worry if it doesn't feel enjoyable. Just go through the motions. One day you'll feel joy creeping back into your life unexpectedly. But until then just get through the days. Try and do things you used to enjoy, even if they don't feel that good anymore. Trust me, it is better than wallowing, and it will help you in the long-term.

I really feel for you Tara, I know it feels terrible and world-ending right now. But the world hasn't ended. This is just a crappy, crappy time that you are going through. Remember everyone goes through crappy, crappy times in life. This is just yours. It will get better. Give yourself lots and lots of time. Be really patient with yourself and listen to your body. Just do whatever you feel like you need to do to feel a tiny bit better in this moment. That's all you have to do. It will be ok. xxxxx

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is this a safe drug to take?

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      This is excellent advice from @Hotspur2931 It will get better @Tara Lyons but takes time.....

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just want my life back. This is a true nightmare. I don’t understand this “loudness” that I feel in my ears. Aside from the ringing.

8. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hope it gets better. I hate waking up to the noise and going to bed to the noise.

I’m trying to keep my stress level low. But I can’t.

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes I know how hard it is for you it was the same for me. If you are able to spend a little time with friends or family it can help to distract you....

I experienced fullness in my ears too. For months the whole of my head felt completely numb. I could hear but everything sounded as if my head was under water....

Medication is something that is prescribed by a doctor for a reason, and It's not for me to say too much about it. I advise you not to read up too much about medications online. I was prescribed Klonopin also knows as Clonazepam in 2010 when my tinnitus was very severe and it helped lower the tinnitus a lot. I still take it when my tinnitus is severe only for a few days. You should follow the advice of your doctor regarding medicines.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      What do you mean by loudness? Is it like a vibration sensation? Is it high or low pitch?

11. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sort of like a vibration, not extremely loud.

12. Hotspur2931

Hotspur2931 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/flu
      I know it sounds crazy when people say "relax", "don't get stressed", when you are dealing with this crazy noise. I find that it's better to relax by doing an activity, rather than, say, trying to lie in bed and relax.

Also, try not to blame tinnitus for all your stress. Are you stressed at work? Stressed with a relationship? See if you can address these stresses first, and you'll find that this makes tinnitus more manageable as well.

• Like Like x 2
    13. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve also had like actual vibrating in my ears as well. Back and forth, vibrating all day.

14. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      This is the worst part, waking up to the noise. After 2.5 years I still am not out of the woods with this part of tinnitus. But after I am in my car on the way to work it gets better. It is normal to feel that way when you wake up Try breathing relaxation for 10 minutes still lying down before you get out. Works for me.

• Like Like x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    15. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Mine started like that and over 2 years got to the point where it basically stays at its lowest form.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I went to my cousins yesterday and the voices hurt my ears. Got a very loud spike and had to leave, they were going crazy for a while after. Do you suggest ear plugs. I don’t know what to do, I feel like it’s gotten worse but I am so focused on this it’s all I think about. I don’t watch tv or movies or do anything except worry about my ears.

17. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I wasn’t protecting my ears when this first started happening because I was under the impression this was part of a “migraine.” Ugh. Of course I am super careful now with all noise but I’m hoping my stupidity didn’t make it worse. :(

@Michael Leigh
      @sssing

18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Voices hurting the ears not unusual as the same thing happened to me many years ago. I had to politely ask people to lower their voice when in conversation. This is a sign of hyperacusis. You can use "Noise reducing" earplugs these have filters in, and will reduce the level of outside sound. However, try not to use them too often as there's a risk of making your ears more sensitive to sound when you are not wearing the plugs. In the links that I sent you, there is a post titled: Hyperacusis, As I see it. Please read that as it explains more about hyperacusis and earplugs that you can use.

I know it's not easy but try to watch some tv even if you are not following what's going on, it will help take your mind off the tinnitus.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There is just such a horrible “loudness”. I can’t explain it. Is this the hyperacusis?

20. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Michael,

I read the article and I don’t see the name brand of any type of ear plug?

21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus can be loud. If you are experiencing the things I have described in my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it? Then you probably have hyperacusis which often accompanies noise induced tinnitus.

22. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You can use any type of "Noise reducing earplugs" or Brand. It all depends what you are able to buy in the US? I live in the UK so didn't specify a particular type of noise reducing earplugs. You can buy them from Amazon or ebay. Make sure you buy "Noise reducing earplugs" These have filters in to reduce external sound. Do not buy foam earplugs as these block out all external sound.

Alpine Noise reducing earplugs are quite good and can be bought from Amazon. As I said you can buy any brand. Look for Noise reducing plugs that reduce sound by: 18 to 30 decibels....as I have said in my post try not to use them too often.

Michael

• Winner Winner x 1
    23. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks, always so helpful. I just went for a drive to get out of the house and I’m getting the terrible “loudness” although the radio was very low, just from the driving and the window down... crazy .

By “not too often” do you mean once a day for a few hours? Or once every few days?

I’m new to this, and certainly don’t want to make anything worse...

Thanks for all of your help as always.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. MusicTeacher

MusicTeacher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rehearsals/Meds
      @Tara Lyons

I love thes e- the most comfy earplugs I’ve ever tried. I also have the molded musician plugs, and the earasers are more comfortable.

Earasers Musicians Plugs Small

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E2D9FHA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xgcWEbNXFKWKS

Hang in there... many of us are in the same boat... now that it’s getting warmer out, I’ve been spending as much time as possible outside. It seems to help me.

tom

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry I am just seeing this now. I am going to call ENT on Monday. This is out of control. Do you really think ears can cause this much insanity?

26. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry just seeing this.

I feel like it’s been so bad the lately. I don’t know why! I’m terrified. It all changed so much since it started. They’re both literally SCREAMING right now.
      I’ve had burning, echoing, fullness, blaring noise which is what they’re currently doing. It’s insane and then I just get this horrible horrible “loudness”
      Please help me, this is so crazy. I’ve been on antihistamines, idk if it’s making it worse.

27. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Once you begin to calm down and feel less stressed and not so frightened about what's going on you'll feel a lot better I assure you.

Whenever sound feels painful, discomforting or you're in a noisy environment then use the earplugs but try not to become too dependent on them or wear them continuously all day....

It is learning curve Tara. As time moves on you'll see what works for you. Try and go out even if it's browsing the shops and you're not buying anything, just to get out as a change of scenery can do wonders. Talk with family and friends will help distract you from the tinnitus. When at home even if you feel like not watching the TV put it on and set the volume at a comfortable level so it doesn't irritate your ears. Try to avoid quiet rooms especially at night - use low level sound enrichment.

You are welcome take care
      Michael

• Hug Hug x 2
    28. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My ears were blaring tonight, lowered it quite a bit! Still ringing but not blaring.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    29. sssing

sssing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold
      Hi @Tara Lyons, can you check with ENT about the infection of the ears. Since you have done an MRI and it was clear. But if you are suspecting something, please ask your doctor and he can tell you more. From what I know it is an ear problem and the brain is responding to the ear damage. I agree with @Hotspur2931 that if you are feeling really bad, please do see someone who can help you. I went to see an online counsellor who also had tinnitus. It did help me in my desperation. It may not take the tinnitus away but the panic and anxiety did lessen a bit after talking about it and some stress management techniques. I also took medication for it. The advice @Michael Leigh about trying to get out or do things to distract yourself from tinnitus is very practical and good. Please hang in there. Things will get better for you. :)

• Hug Hug x 2
    30. Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      No their voices didn’t made your tinnitus worse. I was just that sensitive to loud voices the first 6-7 months. It faded, and now I do stand most everyday sounds. The hyperacusis will get better, I promise.