Spontaneous Recovery Stats: Many Recover (3 Studies)

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Bill Bauer, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      All of this advice really brings tears to my eyes, I supposed because you all “get it”

I’ve definitely been focusing on my ears too much. All admit it. I have the TV on but I’m not really focusing. I’m going to try to focus now. I know this isn’t an overnight fix.

also my ears felt super aggravated lately. Do you think it’s the ENTs antihistamines? I feel like they don’t really know what’s wrong and just want to throw stuff at me for a “quick fix.”

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What do you suggest for driving? I feel like my ears always go crazy after driving because of the road/traffic/wind (it’s summer windows down) and I listen to music, although low.
      I have ear plugs but not noise reducing. Do you suggest I use them until I get my noise reducing ones in?

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Tara Lyons

It is not a good idea to use foam earplugs or earplugs that will block-out all outside sound, as this will make your brain focus more on the tinnitus and can make it appear to be louder. Better to use "Noise reducing" earplugs that have built-in filters. These will reduce external sound but not block it out completely. Here is an example from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Rave-High-Fi...oise+reducing+earplugs&qid=1589728858&sr=8-18

Michael

PS: Foam earplugs can be used when using noisy household equipment, such as: Vacuum cleaner, electric power tools or gardening equipment: Petrol Lawnmower, strimmer etc...

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I think this is totally normal, and you will perhaps ”accept” it more over time.

5. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      Every new tinnitus patient should give habituation the good college try with a boatload of CBT. Have ear protection for objectively loud sounds, and even lean harder on the side of caution (i.e. use it for 60-80 db range). See how it progresses. If it keeps getting worse (not temporary hour long spikes), then change something. If it doesn't worsen, try habituation for a long time -- enough to conclude it's not working.

Pain is a really bad sign. There is simply no value in pushing through ear pain.

6. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Michael Leigh

Do you think it’s good my ears responded well to the Klonopin?

7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      If I may answer - I told you your medication would help. Control of anxiety will greatly help.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know, does anxiety really affect tinnitus that much?!

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Tara Lyons

I have only seen your post by chance and didn't receive an alert message for some reason even though you used the @sign when writing my name.

Klonopin lowers tinnitus for some people and it has often helped me. I think it's good if it helps lower your tinnitus, and suggest you follow your doctors advice on how to take it.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    10. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      For many it does.
      I say this with kindness and understanding.
      Besides your type of tones, strong anxiety and crying causes metabolism hypertension change which can lower the supply of oxygen and glucose from blood supply. With this comes a great potential to disturb the workings of the inner ear. This was probably actually making your tinnitus louder. Your medication is helping to lower emotional response and with that volume, by knocking down the physical metabolism associations. I have an article that I can link here on this.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Hotspur2931

Hotspur2931 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/flu
      @Tara Lyons

Re anxiety: There are differing points of view but in my opinion it is actually key. If I'm feeling anxious I notice my tinnitus a lot more. I think they are inextricably linked. I have seen tinnitus referred to as a "disorder of attention" - the more you pay anxious attention to something the more intrusive it seems. It can happen with anything. There are people who get driven completely mad by the sound of a busy road or the sound of people chewing. It's not like the road or the chewing suddenly got louder or more offensive - it's that their brain has become fixated on the sound.

It's very hard to STOP paying attention to the tinnitus and it won't happen overnight. The biggest factor is TIME. Time, and filling your life with other things as much as you possibly can.

Re TV: I think this is a hard one for a lot of people because it is supposed to be relaxing, but with tinnitus it is anything but. Also sitting there in relative quiet with your mind blank and not much to do is a recipe for fixating on your tinnitus. I gave up TV altogether for several months near the beginning and found other things to do. Focusing on activities other than TV was actually good for my mental and physical health overall.

I am back to watching TV now, but it's not my main relaxing activity any more. It's just one of a number of different options I have for winding down. In summer I have the windows and doors open to provide some background noise, and in winter I do things like leave open the door to the kitchen so I can hear e.g. the washing machine. This helps a bit.

For me the most helpful thing though has been to keep my hands occupied. I took up knitting, and I do that whilst watching TV. It keeps me calmer and gives me something else to focus on. The click of the needles helps as well.

I really suggest keeping yourself physically busy. You're a lot less likely to focus on the noise when you are moving about, making things or doing things, and generally creating sensations in your body rather than your mind. Remember this is not forever. You may feel that you are constantly running about to keep the tinnitus at bay – but in time it will fade from your consciousness more and more and you'll be able to tune it out without rushing about all the time.

Btw my tinnitus has been up since I've been responding to your messages the last week or so. Don't worry – you're worth it! But it just goes to show that the more you think about tinnitus the more you notice it. I'm planning to take another break from the forum soon. You might not be at that stage yet, but at some point you need to walk away from all this tinnitus-related content. It doesn't do to dwell too much. And reading other people's struggles can be really triggering and frightening. Don't underestimate the impact of that.

Lots of love to you as always
      Lizzy
      xxx

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. Hotspur2931

Hotspur2931 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/flu
      Couldn't agree with this more. Even if it doesn't get you to habituation straight away, CBT can really really help with all the difficult emotions that can come with tinnitus. I was cynical and impatient at first, but over a few months of sessions it 100% got me my life back.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just feel like it’s gotten so much worse but at the same time my stress/anxiety is so high. The right has been ringing which alarms me because that was always my “good ear”and I’d be able to sleep on it.

ENT put me on sprays for sinus, not sure if it made anything worse or aggravated anything.

I’m just an anxious mess. I’ve literally been going to bed at 8 PM just to escape the noise/loudness. Always seems to be worse after work.

ugh, I want my life back.

:(

• Hug Hug x 2
    14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

I know how you feel @Tara Lyons Try to take each day as it comes. Some days you will feel better than others and this is the way tinnitus makes us feel especially in the early stages. Try to engage in things you like to do even if it's just for a little while. Anything to help distract you from the tinnitus and focus on something else. Gradually things will get better, although you might not think so it will. Read my post about Marcus: From Darkness into light who was having a lot of difficulty with tinnitus and thought his life wouldn't return to how it once was, but it did and yours will too. I know you have read it already but reading it again whenever you feel a little low, helps to give direction, purpose and reinforce positive thinking. Take things slowly and one day at a time. Keep taking the medication that your doctor has prescribed.

Take care
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/from-darkness-into-light.22234/

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I feel low all of the time ;(
      I hate waking up to the noise. I read Marcus story every day, gives me hope. So inspiring.

I know this isn’t an overnight fix. The question is just... when? When will my ears heal and I will be myself again?

Last night they were both vibrating. I’ve read about TTTS. Does this seem like that’s what it could be?

16. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

I just want my ears to be ok...

everything has been so weird about this, the echoing, burning, fullness, they seem to react to sound/get aggravated by it
      Both of my ears were literally vibrating last night. Loud. Are sprays making worse?! It was crazy. Waiting for tele appt with Neurotologist (different from neurologist).

17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I know how you feel and it's not easy. Take things slowly and try not to worry too much.....

I hope everything goes well....

Marcus' story is inspiring and each time I read it, I remember how disillusioned he was about his future. He believed his life was over and would never get back on track. As you can see his life did turn around and has gone from strength to strength. He now visits this forum and helps people....

Some people make improvement within 6 months for others about a year. Everyone is different so there's no definite time frame. Just take things slowly and one day at a time...

Try not to read up too much about tinnitus and self diagnose that you have TTTS or some other condition which is often not the case. It can may you worry and you don't want that. Carry on with what you're doing and when you can try to divert your thoughts to doing positive things.....

Michael

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. BrianW.

BrianW. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is the same feeling that I go through. I think about my nephews and my family that relies on me. I live for them now. Focusing on others helps me forget about the relentlessness of tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
    19. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes I think about the people I love, that’s all you have to do.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Aaaron8

Aaaron8 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am just wondering if the survey that was discussed when this thread started was ever sent out to all the members to measure recovery stats?

@Bill Bauer @Hazel

21. RookieReborn
      Scared

RookieReborn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I feel like this is exactly what I’m going through - I find it hard to call it a loudness cos it’s like it’s not external, but it’s still there and it’s so present

22. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Bill Bauer you are very helpful!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Bill Bauer it seems like no one ever gets completely better but maybe people just don’t want to report it. Mine has gotten quieter and if it goes away I am definitely not reporting it and deleting this bad dream from my memory :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Whenever someone reports that their tinnitus is gone, I ask them whether they can still hear it in a quiet room (to determine whether their tinnitus is actually 100% gone). Check out the search results below. When you click on each of the text links there, you will see my question. Scroll down to see their answer.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/search/4086100/?q=quiet+room+earplugs&o=relevance&c[user][0]=22665

I recall only about three people who said that they can't hear anything in that scenario. So it Can happen, but it's rare. But the good news is that many people seem to get to that "can hear it only in a quiet room" stage.
      Awesome!!! There is no reason for it to not continue to fade. Keep in mind that the more it fades, the slower it seems to be fading. This is consistent with it fading at a constant rate, say 1% per week. During one's first few months, the volume of one's tinnitus is high, and 1% of that volume is also large, so after several weeks one can tell that it got quieter. But after a year or two, one's tinnitus is quieter and that 1% of a smaller number is also smaller. So it will take a lot longer before one can sense that the volume got lower.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Bill Bauer I really just need to get back to normal. :(
      I hate this.

@Bill Bauer I just don’t know how this happened to me. I’m way too type A for this I’m barely hanging on here. I can’t get used to hearing this constant noise in my ears. It’s like horrifying to me that something like this exists. I’ve always loved silence so this has NOT been easy. I didn’t realize how much I valued silence until it was taken from me. Actually, I never thought it would be taken from me. I actually never knew what tinnitus was.

• Hug Hug x 2
    26. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Although I was not a member of the community at the time, because my tinnitus was mild and completely a non-issue, and so I never sought out any solution, I can attest to having reached the complete silence stage after 4 years. I also had some sensitivity to noises, never pain, which 100% subsided. This was limited to sharp drums in music, shooting noises in video games, and other noises with pronounced sibilance. I was 23 when I got it and it was gone by 27. So maybe put that one in the anecdotal pile.

Also, one other data point, because it seems to be a polemical issue here - I always protected my ears if they felt uncomfortable. Before I knew what hyperacusis was, if I ever felt discomfort, I naturally assumed it was the aggravation of an injury, and that my body was not yet ready for the type of noise I was experiencing. After protecting my ears according to this logic for some time - maybe 6 months - the discomfort faded and I resumed a normal life. One exception - I always used hearing protection on the NYC subway as it produced an objectively dangerous level of sound, and I knew it couldn't be healthy.

I believe had I not become complacent and allowed microsuction cleaning, which was indeed painful, followed a week later by an extremely loud noise I was unaware was possible, that I would never have given tinnitus a second thought, and would not be in the fine company here assembled : )

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. GaryTH
      Panicky

GaryTH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure, stress, NSAIDS, eabuds, shingles vaccine
      Which sleep medications induced your tinnitus?

28. GaryTH
      Panicky

GaryTH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure, stress, NSAIDS, eabuds, shingles vaccine
      Interesting take, crying usually lowers my tinnitus volume. It's like a release of tension.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    29. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      I have found this to be true for me as well.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Does anyone know about sudden sensorineural hearing loss, is the tinnitus usually permanent?