Spontaneous Recovery Stats: Many Recover (3 Studies)

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Bill Bauer, Apr 28, 2017.

1. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Congratulations! I'm happy for you!

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Capstan

Capstan Guest

Hi Tinker Bell

Did you have any reduction in your reactivity?

I have it to certain noises. Very glad to hear your doing so well!

James

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am not sure whether your definition of "stabilizing" includes "fading". After reading this forum for more than 3 years, I can recall only a handful of posts reporting fading beginning after 2 years. It's rare but it does happen. Once fading begins, it ought to continue to fade (and I guess it doesn't matter when the fading begins). One unfortunate thing that seems to happen is that the more it fades, the slower it begins to fade. I guess it's consistent with the fading being a constant percentage of the current level - so the lower the level, the less absolute fading there is. But it all adds up.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. PhoenixAcademy

PhoenixAcademy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      I mean it is fading, I think, and not being so erratic day to day.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In that case, I hope the question wasn't hypothetical and that you have actually finally began to experience fading. If so, would you say there is a chance it began fading after you changed something about your lifestyle or made any other changes?

6. PhoenixAcademy

PhoenixAcademy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      No clue. Not really. I stopped going around all loud sounds as much as possible. It was not hypothetical though, my tinnitus has gotten better. I used to have extreme sensitivity to everyday sounds and that is mostly gone. Like, some things were very loud.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you adopted this policy years before you noticed this change for the better, or was it months before the improvement?

8. PhoenixAcademy

PhoenixAcademy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      Since constant tinnitus started. I have only had constant tinnitus for ~2 years. I have had on and off tinnitus since I was a kid.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am glad you tried it and I am glad that it would appear that it worked well for you. Let's hope for the best.

10. PhoenixAcademy

PhoenixAcademy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      it was a natural reaction

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Same here. You won't believe how many attacks I have had to deal with as a result of me advocating these natural, common sense strategies.

• Like Like x 1
    12. PhoenixAcademy

PhoenixAcademy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      You were attacked for what? Avoiding loud sounds? Really?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I was attacked for telling newbies to be careful around loud sounds.

To be fair, some people Can act in an unreasonable way:
      In any case, I got accused of fear mongering, and my defense has always been that it's ok to be fearful of the scary things that can make one's body permanently uninhabitable.

For a representative sample of those discussions, check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/learn-from-others-mistakes.29437/
      But over the years there had been dozens of those discussions...

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Hello!
      I have my noise-induced T for 5 months now. I think I have 70% improvement. At the moment I hear low hissing that is not that loud, some firecrackers and squeaky doors in the distance (it's such a weird effect), some quiet whooshing sometimes. My H is still there but it became much more tolerable. Also have pain in my upper back, shoulders, neck and head that slowly goes away and becomes more and more tolerable and mild. May be I'll be lucky enough to recover after 6-12 months period. But who knows...

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That's a lot of progress in only 5 months. Assuming you won't harm your ears again, it ought to continue to fade. You might want to stay away from loud noises, ototoxic medication, microsuction and ultrasonic dental cleaning (for the latter two manual tools should be used).

16. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Thank you for your advise. Yes, at the moment I'm constantly protecting my ears and, I guess, my music days are over. I'm happy that everyday sounds do not bring me much pain anymore. Buy the way, starting from day one after my acoustic incident I haven't worn any earplugs, I made myself go outside, do normal things while I was at home and I really quickly introduced everyday sounds back into my life. First three months were really painful, full of anxiety and mild vertigo. I remember once being at the supermarket and while buying food my tinnitus got so intense that I had a feeling of being somewhere at the battlefield with tanks firing, there were so many different sounds,really loud sirens, explosion-like sounds all kinds of really loud noise. I remember my head started spinning and I thought that I would loose it but I managed to calm down and got home safely. I really hope this nightmare ends within a year. Right now I feel much better but it still worries me. May be I would've forgotten about the noise already because I tend not to concentrate on it much but my ears still hurt and burn sometimes. Also all those sensations that something is moving and popping inside your ears always remind me that I still have this problem. And yes, every tinnitus sufferer needs a good hug. If you haven't experienced it than you won't understand. :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 2
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Personally, I think that ignoring the signals from your body is a dangerous strategy.
      If you notice tinnitus getting louder or your ears burning and hurting more, if I were you I would seriously considering reversing your strategy on
      I am not sure how this is different from breaking your arm and then doing your everyday activities as if your arm hasn't been broken, while ignoring the pain.
      It sounds like TTTS. It normally goes away after a year or two.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I guess it was a stupid idea to go to supermarket with H. My T is not getting louder, its getting quieter actually, but slowly. Pain is still there but I concern it rather a mild discomfort at this stage. Its not getting worse. I can't wear earplugs all the time. Ears get tired quickly. Outside I wore a hat and a hood. It helped me. I've also seen two ENT Doctors. Both of them said that its not an acoustic trauma but an acoustic shock. Audiogram hasn't revealed anything. They said that me hearing is absolutely perfect and I can feel that. I don't feel any changes in hearing especially now after 5 months. But I know damage is done. Who knows may be if I experience one more shock like that I can say goodbye to my hearing. Well, doctors said that I was really lucky and that I should be thankful that it all turned out that way. They didn't really explained me anything about the TTTS syndrome but prescribed me some medicines and supplements and advised to wait for a year or even longer. So I really hope that you are right and it will go away within a year hopefully. It was the first time in my life when I've experienced pain from the sound. I had something like that may be 5 years ago. But it was in such a weak form that it went away after couple of hours, 5-6 may be. An there was no pain. Bit this time it is different. It's really some sort of trauma. :cry::banghead:

• Like Like x 1
    19. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      @Vassili Great news for you!!! Interesting choice of words by your doctor--- acoustic shock and you should be thankful it turned out this way-- no signs of any damage, all curious things for doctors to say. Maybe telling you it's great news or you are lucky, turned out this way? Very unusual choice of words for doctors. And, calling it shock, correcting your term trauma which would include most injury-- shock? What kind of shock. Strange words and reading between the doctors comments makes me go, hmmm.

20. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I've had both. If you're still struggling, read "A headache in the Pelvis". This info and a good PT changed my life.

21. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nobody attacked Bill for telling people to avoid loud sounds. People have criticized him for going far above and beyond that. Like removing fire alarms from his home. Like removing airbags from his car in case they go off.

He has advocated some truly dangerous behavior on this site.

I'm one of the people that frequently debate him. He is right in that in early stages you should rest your ears. But once you stabilize you can resume life with proper precautions. I've had tinnitus for 4 years and I go to concerts (when the world isn't hiding from disease) and play acoustic drums EVERY DAY. My tinnitus has only gotten better regardless.

You don't need to stop living life, which is what he advocates.

• Like Like x 3
    22. NeoKortex88

NeoKortex88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      severe stress
      Thanks, I got rid of it with stretching but took me over a year. My tinnitus is from stress now. Is your tinnitus gone?

• Like Like x 1
    23. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      That's not possible for everyone. There are enough stories of people getting permanently worse, for example after attending a concert, indicating that not everyone has the same type of stable tinnitus. While this obviously isn't the case for everyone and many people can resume their normal lives eventually, especially conditions such as pain-hyperacusis can further make an individual's situation more complicated. Telling people they'll be just fine if they wear hearing protection and implying everyone can go back to living a normal life with tinnitus isn't a balanced view either.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had done that.
      I have contemplated doing that, but in the end I haven't done it. I hope I don't live to regret this. In the thread where this got discussed, I quoted multiple posts by people who wished they had done that.
      Check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/why-do-some-people-hate-bill-bauer.27106/

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      So you agree that in addition to airbags and fire alarms, I got attacked for advocating not doing things like going to concerts while wearing earplugs.

As for your experience, it reminded me of the post below
      But that's ok - you do you.

Nobody has ever claimed that Every person who does those things will live to regret it. You can't deny that the risk is there, and some of us believe that when it comes to tinnitus, very small risk Isn't acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't have the patience to debate this with you anymore.

@Autumnly I had bad hyperacusis for most of a year. I avoided loud sounds and wore earplugs most everywhere during that time. I don't advocate for people with hyperacusis issues to strap in some foamies and go see bassnectar.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I share my positive experience here because not enough people have. When I was in the worst period of my life, I was depressed like I could never have imagined because I thought I lost my passion of playing music.

If any of you are of the small minority that can't get back to life, and I really feel for you if that's the case, then just ignore my message. It's not for you. It's for someone who is like I was to have a glimmer of hope. Statistically there are more people in my position than people who don't improve. 3/4 people in my band have tinnitus. and we all had it before we started the band. nobody has gotten worse.

As to my own tinnitus, of course I still have it. I don't think it ever totally goes away. But honestly I'm in a dead silent room right now and barely hear it, and its a mild hiss. For most of April it was about as loud as my refrigerator. 2350Hz. It happens 2x a year and lasts about 2 weeks each time. When my allergies get bad in spring, and usually when winter first kicks in. I assume its due to sinus inflammation and don't panic about it. I just run a fan for a few days and it always fades.

I live about 3 blocks from the highway and on a real quiet night the noise of the cars bothers my wife. she has basically perfect hearing. a pin drop she can pick up. it bothers her at times. ironically my hiss covers it up totally so sometimes I have an easier time sleeping than her.

• Like Like x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    27. Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      May I ask, how long did it take before you reached this state?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    28. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I started to get meaningful improvement with my tinnitus at 14 months. Hyperacusis started to fade after about 9 months.

From there it has gone up and down over the course of the 3 years that followed. But each time it goes down, it seems to get lower, and the spikes - while still loud and annoying - aren't nearly as intense as they used to be.

Loud sounds are not what causes my spikes. It's almost always sinus inflammation. Sometimes it's just random.

My personal theory on hyperacusis - and I am NOT A DOCTOR - is that it is caused by the muscles of the ear being in constant tension to protect itself. Essentially the tensor tympani is stuck on "protect" mode. Unfortunately, we really can't control this muscle. Hold a fist. Feels ok for a minute, right? But squeeze it hard for a day, a week, a month, a year? That fucker is gonna hurt. even touching those muscles will be agony. In my opinion - that's your hearing. It's so diligently protecting your hearing that it causes pain when you hear something.

This is likely why people have success with noise therapy for hyperacusis. The muscle starts to calm down over time. I didn't do the TRT generators. But I did gradually return to music while I still had remnants of hyperacusis. I started first with my electric guitar not plugged in. then my acoustic with earplugs, then lighter plugs, then no plugs, so on and so forth. Personally I think starting to move past this mentally allowed my fight or flight to chill and my hyperacusis to fade.

This is a focus group of 1. But my experience tells me this is true. As is the experience of the many people I know with tinnitus.

I'll repeat the success stories I've posted elsewhere.
      -My physical therapist had it for a year really bad, now gets it once a month (punk concert).
      -A childhood friend had it for 2 years, now gets it like once or twice a month (shotgun).
      -My drum teacher told me his faded dramatically (and he plays drums 6 hours a day for a living).
      -Mine faded.
      -I have two friends from this forum that had theirs go down a lot - @dpdx being one - and if you read his posts he was SURE it wouldn't. Another doesn't post here anymore and we just check in on each other via Facebook. She's totally fine.
      -A DJ I know from the NY rave scene of the aughts had it for nearly a decade. When he had a kid and stopped going to shows his faded to almost nothing. He never wore earplugs even when he had it.
      -2 guys in my band have this, one doesn't wear earplugs when he sees his fav bands, but does in most loud environments. The other wears plugs at practice, but not when he goes to concerts or when he performs. Neither of them have gotten worse at all.
      -Buddy from work's father had it real bad from being a UK Chopper pilot. Faded after 2 years.

Almost everyone I know with tinnitus outside of this site got a LOT better. The people I've met who didn't get better also didn't get worse and still do music.

Stay hopeful, people.

If anyone wants to talk to me about my journey, or just needs some encouragement - PM me. I'm running out of energy dealing with some of the more negative people here.

• Like x 9
      • Winner x 5
      • Optimistic x 3
      • Agree x 2
      • Hug x 1
      • Friendly x 1
      • Useful x 1
    29. Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Tom Cnyc Thank you for your kind response! It really keep me motivated, since I suffered one year already. I know that other suffered for longer, and I honestly don’t know how you guys cope.

Best wishes to you all!

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      Question, my tinnitus has been spiking really bad last days and I am trying to figure out why. I just now wondered if it is some kind of allergy, I don't normally feel allergy symptoms but now when i think about it i experienced blocked ears some days ago and they my tinnitus escalated. Can it be that this periods blocks anything in my sinuses without me noticing it? It is the worst allergy period now right? Im really hoping my spike calms down soon....