Still Going Through the Phases of Habituation — Wonderful Video: CBT for Tinnitus Distress

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chris Holland, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      Hi Everyone (new and old members),

I have not been very active on the forum as of late because I am gradually getting back to my life as normal and am very much going through the different stages of habituation.

Having experienced a setback these last weeks I am frequenting the forum more often to read the success stories and funny enough also to take my mind of off tinnitus (go figure).

This is a video I found early on when I was really very much in the ''fight or flight'' stage with my tinnitus and at that time felt like something that was the opposite of what I wanted since I just wanted to get rid of my tinnitus rather than to ''learn to live with it''.

Now 18 months in and no significant change in my tinnitus other than it sometimes varying in intensity I have decided to make some serious changes in my lifestyle. I have been coping with tinnitus by keeping engaged and numbing myself with marijuana and alcohol amongst some things. This however is not a effective coping strategy and I have decided to choose sobriety. This has forced me to deal with tinnitus head on and this is proving to be a challenge all over again. That being said I am very much getting back to my life as I am working as a personal trainer, I exercise at least 5 times a week and can enjoy many things again that I loved to do prior to tinnitus. Having said that tinnitus is still very much bothersome for me for parts of the day and I am still working on my emotional reaction to the sound itself.This video is an amazing tool to start practicing CBT for tinnitus distress, I also believe Dr. Hubbard has supported many tinnitus ''sufferers'' (I hate that word) on this very forum.

I hope this might help someone here as it is helping me.

Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for Tinnitus...

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Definitely one of the most one-sided videos I've seen on CBT for tinnitus. No understanding for people where this simply doesn't work. Hope it helps someone but it really paints a one-sided picture.

Hubbard is really close to being on the same level as Julian Cowan Hill if he isn't already, just read his homepage: "Your brain can screen tinnitus out through a natural, neurological process called habituation." This isn't even possible for everyone that would call themselves habituated.

I'm not against CBT, I'm against the misconceptions about tinnitus that are being spread and how CBT is being promoted and.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 10
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was told the straight truth by an ENT who has tinnitus himself. “You still hear the sound, you just don’t react to it and carry on as you normally would. Your brain gets used to it.”

So unless you have super mild tinnitus, I’m sorry in silent places you can’t just ignore it. And for severe sufferers, this may mean they can’t ignore it ANYWHERE. Because it’s so loud. How do you habituate to severe tinnitus? You don’t. Reality is that severe tinnitus has a huge effect on the person and limits them in many ways.

A person can “adapt” to severe tinnitus in that they make progress and start being able to do normal activities such as cooking or brushing their teeth. But to say they aren’t severely limited and debilitated by tinnitus and can just ignore the sound and function like anyone else...

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      With ''screen out'' I think he means the it leaves your conscious thought, I do understand this might not work for all but I believe it does eventually works like this for most. I'm experiencing moments like these myself but yes I can still hear my tinnitus even if I'm not thinking about it.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Spot On PureNoise x

• Winner Winner x 1
    6. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Dr. Hubbard was already a leading psychologist in NYC when got severe tinnitus and hyperacusis, and worked very hard to adapt his expertise in CBT to managing Tinnitus Distress.

He recently posted a 10 minute relaxing and therapeutic audio, which he created a while back for his patients with tinnitus. It is called Mindfulness of Tinnitus Sound and Breath, it's about halfway down the page in the link below, and I highly recommend it:
      https://www.cbtfortinnitus.com/cbt-for-tinnitus-resources

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Agreed. I believe I have habituated but my tinnitus is still there and I am aware of it. I did get CBT and it was effective for me but it was for my anxiety, stress and panic not necessarily for my tinnitus. Indirectly, it did help my tinnitus but I would not say CBT is the "be all" for the treatment of tinnitus. Good post!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did your CBT therapist specialize in coaching people with Tinnitus Distress?

9. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      As usual Autumnly, a very insightful comparison regarding Julian Cowan Hill.
      With this hocus pocus quackery all practitioners of this are nearly identical.
      They exhibit many of the characteristics of pathologically narcissistic cult leaders; they never allow in the slightest the plethora of professionally conclusive contradictory evidence to alter their irritatingly self-righteous certainty.
      They remind me of that great quote from W.H. Auden:
      "Intellectual disgrace
      Stares from every human face,
      And the seas of pity lie
      Locked and frozen in each eye."

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    10. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    11. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    12. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Yeah, that article is really one-sided as well. The way he words thinks clearly shows what he thinks about people that don't get better.
      • "Some seeking ways to control the noise, and others who just seem stuck in their misery"
      • "the blind leading the blind"
      Ironically, he also seems to talk quite negatively about Tinnitus Talk and any other support forum/group online.

And then the usual "it's just your attitude".
      • "What you think and believe about your tinnitus will strongly affect your present and future course."
      • "exposure to gloom-and- doom accounts, horror stories, and misinformation — especially when a person is at their most vulnerable — can reinforce the hopeless belief that there can be no productive, enjoyable life with tinnitus." - How kind-hearted of him to call people struggling and severe sufferers horror-stories. Also, for millions of people a productive, enjoyable life isn't possible with tinnitus.
      • "if your goal is habituation, then you will be best served by restricting your search to information and advice on how to adjust to your tinnitus." - as if it's an achievable goal for everyone and let's not let people educate themselves on hearing protection
      • "over time, tinnitus is recategorized by the brain as just another meaningless sound that can be screened out and forgotten." Doesn't work like this for millions of people, even people that would call themselves habituated.
      • "With a little effort and a careful approach, you can navigate your way to success!"
      And my favorite:
      • Someday, there may be a tinnitus forum titled “our Tinnitus hasn’t Gone Away, but We’re doing Great! We’ve habituated, and you Can Too!”
      There's a whole Success Stories section on here. But that's not good enough for him. He clearly doesn't understand the dire need for medical treatments.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Stress is a chain reaction. When someone experiences a stressful event, the amygdala, an area of the brain that contributes to emotional processing, sends a distress signal to the hypothalamus. This area of the brain functions like a command center, communicating with the rest of the body through the nervous system. With severe tinnitus these parts of the brain are targeted 24/7.

The nervous system is not capable to control severe distress signals of the amygdala or (hypothalamus where severe tinnitus finds a home). Without needing to get into a lot of crap, levels of tinnitus severity as in 1-10 were produced for the same reasons after 1-10 :) :( pain charts. We just posted and discussed the 1-10 for tinnitus. Look at the quality of life for those with a 7 or above.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dr. Hubbard is not a medical doctor, he is a psychologist, and cannot promote, explain or endorse medical treatments. His primary job is to get people up and around, despite having tinnitus and sometimes other ear problems, and to help them reach habituation faster.

For those in the beginning of tinnitus distress, and others who are further along but still suffering, the reading of "horror stories" is not a good idea and should be avoided.

Most other issues of Tinnitus Today magazine feature medical news, regarding tinnitus. This was a special issue on habituation.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    15. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Luman I don't think that you are referring to those with severe tinnitus as you are a person of understanding and compassion. It's appears that your tinnitus was not severe before treatment as you have stated that your ringing wasn't terrible and abates. Always wishing you the best.

• Genius Genius x 1
    16. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Are you being sarcastic?

He constantly belittles people who struggle and if they consider theirs severe.

I think tinnitus is a physical phenomenon first and foremost. Anything mental or psychological comes much after as a result and should be considered secondary.

As such, the alleged 'mental game' fails often when it's loud and/or severe.

When people commit suicide because of it, it is never mild. It is never because it was mild.

• Genius Genius x 1
    17. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No - The two of us have shared understanding on many things.

For you:
      You might be clenching or thrusting your jaw in a protrusive direction. This tightens up the lateral pterygoid muscle which attaches to the cheek bone around the sinus area and often causes jaw crackling and ear pain.

One exercise is to place tongue to roof of mouth, lips together and teeth apart. Then move tongue to the left and then to the right 10 times several times a day. Get a new mouth guard made by a dentist.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    18. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would describe my tinnitus as fluctuating (AKA intermittent), annoying and similar to Michael Leigh's case in some ways, but thankfully not as high or severe, as his gets.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
      • Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    19. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I don't care what your experience was with him. I know from experience and observations with others.

I am consciously trying not to clench.

• Genius Genius x 1
    20. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And you shouldn't be insulting those trying to help you. Have you ever thought that some trying to help have pain with major disease.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    21. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I don't insult people trying to help. But, if you are going to argue with me on this, I am done replying to you. It is an insult that you would turn around and blame me for anything. Maybe you support jerks who belittle people who are suffering and are suicidal.

• Genius Genius x 1
    22. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes you do.

You have also said this before to others.
      I have not blamed you for anything. If you wish to take the last word - fine. If not good bye and I wish you well.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    23. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I don't believe that at all. This was not about me but you tried to make it so.
      I have never maliciously insulted anyone here. I might have been extremely frustrated but there was never malicious intent.
      Go ahead and 'defend your buddy." But, if I am belittled again, I will contact a mod.

• Genius Genius x 1
    24. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      I don't see why people bash CBT on here...

Some people find it useful in the absence of any other treatment/cure. I'm not sure if people would rather nothing over something (i.e. CBT) but to me that doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying it works for everyone but surely if it helps some people cope then it's useful to a certain degree...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    25. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You belittled me with this.
      I wrote you several messages with physical suggestion treatments to your medical conditions causing your tinnitus and ear pain and started with 'My dear friend'.

If you follow my advice now, I think you probably will become a success story.
      Save your mouth and your ears will thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    26. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      No one was bashing CBT on this thread. Some people like myself pointed out that CBT is partly being misused to imply that we don't need medical treatments and oftentimes based on ideas that don't represent the whole tinnitus spectrum, such as the type of tinnitus doesn't matter to the concept of habituation.

If it helps you that's great but too often than not CBT is being used to say that everyone can habituate. Whether it's Hubbard's video, the fear and avoidance model or the new European guideline, these people are representing an insanely heterogenous condition such as tinnitus through a very narrow, homogenous, psychological lense.

• Agree Agree x 4
    27. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      I haven’t used CBT as I haven’t felt the need but my point is that if it helps people then it must have some merit.

I’m not talking specifically this thread, I’m talking across the forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      CBT works for lots of people, to help them cope with many different problems in life, including tinnitus distress, but it's not for everybody.

I learned, long ago, that you can' t please everyone - it's impossible, so don't even try.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    29. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I don't think so. I just meant what you see and what I see are two different things. I don't want to argue about it anymore. If you doubt me, feel free to check the chat archives.

I think we should try to be caring and compassionate about each other here and although we have differences of opinion, we should still try. But, some here don't try if the other opinion doesn't align with theirs.

• Like Like x 1
    30. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

better pipe down everyone

• Funny Funny x 2