Susanna Reid — UK TV Presenter Talks About Her Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Sam Bridge, Oct 23, 2018.

1. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I completely agree with what you say in this post, Jcb. We need to be here for each other, to support and comfort our friends on this forum who are suffering on a daily basis.

Yes, this type of exposure is a good thing.....we are all on the same side here.

• Agree Agree x 3
    2. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      If I went to a so called audiologist or doctor and they quoted me that, I would punch them in the face and then spit on them.

I don't care if I would get arrested, it's not like I have anything to live for anyways.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      As a photographer, I do a lot of Photoshop, and this image is photoshopped to death :ROFL:

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The severity of a person’s suffering is by far the most important measure. None of us know what another person’s tinnitus is like or how they perceive it; it’s an impossible concept that doesn’t account for many factors. However, we do know how much people are suffering, so let’s do each other a favour and drop the bullshit facades and just support one another.

I find it insulting that Michael thinks he can judge people that he’s never met and assume to know all about their tinnitus. The multiple times he has said that no famous musician has ever had “real tinnitus” is remarkable, and yet, as far as I’m aware, the technology to listen inside another person’s head doesn’t exist yet. This also completely contradicts all his other advice. He loves talking about concerts and bone conduction being bad for tinnitus - and how one should avoid headphones at all costs - and yet he still believes that there aren’t any famous musicians with “real tinnitus”. So which one is it? I mean these guys are permanently using headphones and their entire life is basically a concert.

If any of you aren’t happy with the awareness Susanna has brought about, then create your own, and stop fucking criticising everyone else.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 2
    6. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      My bad then, I couldn't believe any "expert" could possibly write this down as "truth" in an official reference book. I opened this image in Photoshop and measured the grains of the photo's background vs the grains on the actual text, they are not the same. Perhaps someone took the trouble of sharpening the text part for clarity...oh dear :ROFL:

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I do not know what this lady has done or what she hasn't done. Any awareness that comes into the tinnitus realm is a great thing. Suffering can happen at all tinnitus levels. Some folks have hardcore anxiety and mental struggles and even the slightest ring/buzz/hiss can bother them. Complaining/point fingers/blaming others never gets anyone anywhere, it's ok to have a 5 minute pity party but that's it.

Move on, march forward and find solutions to make life better. Unless we take those small baby steps I always say, we are going to be in the same spot tomorrow and next week, next month, and possibly next year. Our actions may not bring 100% satisfaction, but constant gripe only defeats us. I have seen enough negativity in my life, my afflictions bring them as well. If my mind manifests it, then truly there is no hope left. That mind is crucial to keeping our afflictions at bay and taking charge of our lives, no matter how loud or barely noticeable our tinnitus is.......

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    8. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
    9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      In fact, I did exactly that. I sharpened it because it was in low light and the original photo wasn’t great to read.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Well now we have Lewis Vaughan Jones and Susanna Reid whom have tinnitus and both in the public eye.

I hope they keep up tinnitus awareness whenever they can as we need more awareness of tinnitus from mild to severe to suicidal...

love glynis

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      My bad, I didn't mean to be so investigative :notworthy:

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Well said, Glynis, and I agree. Silence is the worst thing (pardon the pun).

• Winner Winner x 2
    13. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Now I would love them both to present on TV in one of our Tinnitus Hub T-shirts. :D:LOL::ROFL:

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think that's fair. It explains in part why some struggle and others adapt.

Many casual readers wouldn't know that.

Any talk of tinnitus in media is fantastic though.

15. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I disagree with it, by the way.

16. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I believe this to be the truth of the matter.

However - passions seem to be running quite high - language is deteriorating, and differences of opinion are not to be tolerated,
      so I will simply say.....

7EB6D8AB-66CE-4BD8-B340-3D3DEEC68022.jpeg

17. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      What’s odd about the member quote you highlighted is that it’s complaining that Ms. Reid did not convey that she has tinnitus and it can be intrusive . . . but that is exactly what she did. :dohanimation:

I think empathy for our fellow sufferers deteriorated long before language.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Whether we deem her tinnitus is ‘severe’ or not, I think that it’s great that she is sharing her struggle.

Mine is not severe, in fact it's probably reasonable mild, but it has affected me emotionally in ways I couldn't have imagined.

I still to this day don't think my life will ever be quite the same living with this.

I think it's brave of Susanna to share her struggles, and be open about living with this condition.

At the end of the day, this isn't about severity, this is about tinnitus as a condition, and I'm so bloody thankful that she is raising awareness because nobody else really is!!!!!!!!!

We should all be thankful - we need help, funds, research, awareness and education so desperately.

I'm mortified to think that Susanna would read some of these comments and like me, think "why the hell should I bother even trying to raise awareness or share my experience"?

She could just get on with her life and not mention tinnitus, but she did. We need this, we need high profile people speaking out.

Please, be appreciative of her sharing her condition. We are all suffering, perhaps to different degrees.

I'll be brutally honest in my feelings towards the tinnitus community - we don't donate, we put other sufferers down, and we generally are very apathetic. I just don't get it. I really don't.

I have donated a considerable amount of money to Danny's Fund, Hearing Health Foundation, TRI and Prof. Rauschecker. I DON'T HAVE SEVERE TINNITUS BUT I STILL CONTRIBUTE BECAUSE I WANT RELIEF FOR US ALL.

Then I wonder "why should I bother"? Nobody else seems to care.

If I get the opportunity to share my experience with tinnitus to a broader audience, then I absolutely would. Just because I don't have what others (and myself) deem to be severe tinnitus, doesn't mean I can't make a difference.

If you ever read this thread Susanna - thank you for raising awareness on behalf of all tinnitus sufferers.

Please, for all our sake's, let's work together and not against each other. It's in all our best interests.

• Winner Winner x 6
      • Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I think the exact same thing.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      There will always be differences of opinions @Jazzer for that is the way of the world. I will not get involved in a brawl and for this reason have abstained from corresponding with certain people. I stand by everything that I have said for it is my opinion. When people resort to using expletives and other forms of unsavoury language, it shows the type of person they are and the way they were brought up. I do not use such language and therefore, don't engage with these types of people.

Take care Jazzer and look forward to corresponding with you soon.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    21. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are a respectable guy and I like how you handle yourself!

• Like Like x 1
    22. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you @fishbone As you know I have a lot of respect for you . Not only as a tinnitus veteran whom I've learnt a lot from but you always conduct yourself as a gentleman.

Take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    23. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I'm a Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere veteran and you're just plain wrong. WRONG. Provide evidence for your claim please. Have you heard of high ISO? It's for low light / fast exposure situations.

ISO is equivalent to film speed for film. The higher the ISO, the faster the film speed and the more grainy it looks. Go back to school please.

24. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Really? Are you fucking kidding me with your self worthlessness? How dare you stand in any type of judgement of other people - yet again.

Really? You like men who treat people this way? Judging their upbringings? Really?

@Jazzer I draw a line when others debase people and suggest their upbringing is the source of their person and then go on to debase and judge and play some type of game of pick a team in the school yard.

#Me too. I give up.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    25. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am never here on this board to bring anyone down, never have and never will. My only stance is on negativity and how it can hold people back and hold their healing back. Majority of the times, that I have posted or created my motivational posts/threads, I have been sick or facing tons of chaos. My tinnitus is severe 24-7 and its been pure hell for the past 12 years. I still come here and give my time to help and motivate those that are suffering. I am going through a chaotic life and most people that are dealt what I am dealt don't bother to come and help and love people, when they are suffering so so bad themselves. I may not donate money to this site or their funds, but I do know that by being here and sharing my 30+ years of knowledge....I am doing my part and more than enough.

I spread the word about my tinnitus outside this forum all the time. I let people know that my ears are ringing. I let them know that I wear ear plugs in the martial arts studio and in the gym. I have been educating Professionals for over 30+ years. I am for sure doing my part.

Why would anyone work against each other? I applaud this lady for what she has done. I have not seen or read about it but kudos to her. Any mention that tinnitus gets, is something that can possibly help us. Contributions as I always say can take place in many ways, it's not always about money.

as I said in my other post, people can place the label of severity based on their genetic makeup and their lifestyle and what is going on. Our struggles are never to be ignore and compared to others. Each meaning and value we give to our life and struggles is important and no one can make them less. Be kind to each other and try to help each other, negative posts and putting people down in the end gets us no where!

• Like Like x 1
    26. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @fishbone Firstly, I have great respect for the kindness and help you offer others, and understand that you are dealing with tinnitus beyond my wildest imagination.
      I'm not sure if by quoting my post you were agreeing or disagreeing with me, however I think we are on the same page. I agree with everything you've said.

I don't know why we would work against each other, but I believe the tinnitus community does. I could go into plenty of detail about this, however my point about working against each other in this post was why were some comments disregarding Susanna's suffering, and saying she had no place in speaking out because she didn't have what others deem to be "severe" tinnitus?

I feel strongly that we should be celebrating the fact that she spoke up, we so desperately need more of this from high profile people. We each do what we can to raise awareness, but these "celebrities" have a far greater audience than you and I.
      When I first read Sam's original post, I was excited that we had some publicity, then to see her being shot down in flames because her tinnitus wasn't severe, just broke my spirit.

I mention donations because this is one way I can help and the way I feel I can make a difference. I was pointing out that I don't have severe tinnitus, but like Susanna, want to contribute to my cause.
      We do this in different ways, and I respect that. I have a very young family and a hectic business to run, I don't have the time to provide the support to other sufferers that I would like to. So for me, contributing financially is my way of helping them and myself.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
      • Like Like x 4
    27. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I respect him, because of the contributions he has made to this site. His posts and threads have been helpful to many folks on this site. He has been generous to support folks, that have suffered badly via PMs and in threads/posts. He's an old school guy and I kinda understand where he is coming from.

I was raised, by a loving mom who taught me to defy the odds and go against all odds. My mother was very sick and on meds and yet she was such a positive person and yet smiled while she was in crippling pain. I learned how to be who I am because of her. I try to do my best in life, but at times even I say a bad word here and there.

You have to read more, than that post to understand who he is. I am not one, to praise anyone who puts others down, but he simply wants to be respected. I respect all folks on this site, it's a great site that can bond and connect those that deal with tinnitus.....

I wish I had access to such a site 30+ years ago. If I did, I would not have the severe tinnitus and scary hearing loss I have today....

28. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Are you kidding me? Learn to relax, it wasn't an affront to you. Ed even admitted that it was photoshopped, so you clearly don't know what youre talking about. Don't bother explaining ISO to me, trust, i know a lot more about it than you.

29. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Agreed, I can't imagine anyone reading this and having sympathy for any of these people.

• Like Like x 2
    30. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Furthermore, you only have to read the responses to her tweets to see the impact her one single tweet has had.

So many people commenting on their tinnitus, how bad it is, and how it has affected their lives. It bought me to tears reading some of the responses. She gave these people a platform to share their struggles with the world.

Now that's what we need.

Good job Susanna and all those who shared their experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2