'The Noise Got Too Loud, Sorry' — Christopher Neile, 57, Killed Himself Waiting to Go to Dignitas

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Amiel, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I find value in it, actually. I'm glad it was posted.
      Perhaps there should be a different section of the forum where such stories can be posted to minimize the impact to fragile sufferers.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I am open minded about this. Can you share, what value you gain from such a thread? Maybe I can see where folks are coming from, when they see value in this thread.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @fishbone I totally agree!
      @Markku, @Steve, @Samir, @Karen
      I think a Sticky post with a list of details where to get support if feeling suicidal is enough !

We also support members and point them to the sticky with out making the member feel guilty having these feelings as we arn't to judge eather way

Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    4. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      All of us here at TT are supposed to be UNDERSTANDING, SUPPORTIVE, EMPATHETIC and GENTLE with those who are suffering from tinnitus.... N..O..T advocating suicide as some (misguided) members are !

While some people may say they feel suicidal at times.... for those members' sakes, they should be told we are always here and understand their plight, encouraged to be patient, learn various coping mechanisms from those outstanding members who have gone through their dark periods and emerged into the light, habituated and have happy and fulfilling lives.

Members who are suffering need to read all those "Success Stories" since they are true accounts. Why can some members here ONLY focus on doom and gloom ???? I personally think they need some emotional "self-examination"

5. Philippe79

Philippe79 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      Just finished off reading this thread (it took a while). If I was seriously considering suicide and turned to this forum for support, I would be shocked that, all it’s done is given me the green light to carry on.

• Hug Hug x 3
    6. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Sure. I'll try to explain my reasoning.

As an invisible disability, I personally struggle day in and day out from the fact that my disability is concealed. Because of this, people think it's no big deal: I still wake up, make my coffee, brush my teeth, cook, drive, etc... to the point that they forget that I live with this 24x7. Even people close to me (friends, some members of my family) forget about it. I don't blame them: there is nothing to remind them of it.

What happens on a daily basis to me as an individual is similar to what happens to tinnitus sufferers as global members of an invisible condition: it is often viewed as "not a big deal", even from the medical community that we rely on as first responders to our despair. The awareness about the severity is lacking. We've had a few examples of doctors themselves being hit by this condition on this very forum, and expressing how little their community knew about the severity of this. They themselves couldn't imagine it'd be like this.

Posts like this acknowledge the severity of the condition (contrary to the dismissive attitude from doctors), and help me build up my "fact portfolio" that I can use to impart information about severity to uninformed masses.

In my opinion, hiding the ugly truth is doing us a disservice when it comes to awareness.
      I don't ever want to hear "c'mon, it's no big deal: nobody ever died of a little noise in the ears!" again.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 3
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That makes sense to me. I like that idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Thank you, for your point of view....

• Like Like x 1
    9. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - nightclub
      I completely agree with you. This forum, while helpful at times, can be a serious breeding ground for anxiety and despair. The majority of people who come on here are in a difficult place and the negativity can be overwhelming. I myself am guilty of being negative on here, which I am trying to change. We need hope, not despair.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      I always try to steer people to the "Success Stories Thread" which are actual accounts by countless members who have gone on to achieve success through habituation and are leading productive and happy lives. As you will note, most members are not pleased with this thread.

11. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      True,

The problem is, people with strong anxiety and deep depresion, can be COMPLETELY SURE their Tinnitus is the worst, very severe. When, very severe Tinnitus is very rare, and if you have it, you should receive the correct advise, and go to get professional help and support.

Having severe Tinnitus, and landing in this post, will not help.

Regards!

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I thought of something like this.

Like we can have the opposite of a 'Succes Stories' section, where there can be put a warning disclaimer like "text in this section can be disturbing, enter at your own risk" and in that section, news like this can be posted.

I would hate for these sad stories to just be sweeped under the rug and never talked about. Their needs to be awareness on how devastating this condition can be, but at the same time we have to protect each other from the "doom and gloom" stories......when one is vulnerable and in a bad state this sort of story does not help at all!

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What help are you talking about? There is no cure for tinnitus...

Such a person would have a chance to learn about the delay that Dignitas subjects its clients to.

14. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximate_cause

15. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      I was in a similar situation with a vestibular patient. When you can't give them options they tend to look for the exit.

• Informative Informative x 1
    16. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Thank you for being open to other points of view...

• Funny Funny x 2
    17. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      There are members here that are a living proof of how humans avoid the truth. Even worse there are members here that want to force us to sweep under the carpet stories that proves this condition CAN actually be such a big deal. A part of the tinnitus truth are the stories of people like Christopher Neils, Gaby Olthuis, Craig Gills and many others that we don't know. Phrases and beliefs which support that the people above had other issues and other comorbidities are discrediting their suffering by this malady, which forced them to proceed to their last act of desperation. We can't ban these stories from this tinnitus forum. It is at least disrespectful to their memory. Turning down these stories is one of the reasons of why this disorder is so neglected in terms of research etc. Turning down these stories is one of the reasons of why my doctor and my social environment believes that i am the one that i do not want to get well. However @Markku @Steve @Karen @Samir i think is a good idea to take in consideration the various ideas of members above about the creation of an appropriate space to include those stories out of the support section. Maybe a sub-forum with a special netiquette. That way this endless debate may come to an end, leaving no room for further sword fighting. This is not just a support forum. It's a reference point for tinnitus and hyperacusis and all the information must be available.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      What delay? According to the article he did not have an appointment with Dignitas. The title is misleading, Dignitas did not make him wait. He was waiting to travel to Switzerland.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      He was waiting to travel in Switzerland because Dignitas is in Switzerland.

20. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Thank you very much for your post. You comprised it very well. Concise and spot on.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    21. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Psychological counseling and drug prescription.

• Creative Creative x 1
    22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think that might work for people with mild (possibly moderate) tinnitus. I doubt many people with debilitating tinnitus would get a lot of relief as a result of counseling.

Now that I think about it, doctors can help with any symptom (no matter how severe) by drugging a person to a point of the person becoming a vegetable. How is that different from doctor assisted suicide?!

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Listen, you, criminal, you encourage people with severe or even catastrophic T to commit suicide, cause you claim that the only alternative to stop their suffering is to put them in a vegetable state, no different from being dead. You have no knowledge about medicine, you criminal!
      After being seriously drugged during an episode of catastrophic T, i slept for 3 days and 3 nights and woke up with NO tinnitus. I stayed T free and drug free for eight months. I would have been T free right now if not something else wouldn't have hit me eight months later.
      Stop disseminating false information, you, criminal!

24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      He said that a psychologist can help someone with debilitating tinnitus by counselling (hopefully everyone agrees that that's nonsense) or by giving them drugs. We were talking about loud, debilitating tinnitus. So what else could a drug possibly do besides pumping one's head full of fog? If one is not aware of screaming tinnitus, what Is one aware of, and if the level of awareness is low, then would it not be fair to call such a person a vegetable at that point?
      Sounds like you had experienced a three-day loud spike. Of course I wasn't talking about loud spikes. I mentioned in my earlier messages that one ought to try to wait for two years, hoping that T will diminish. Before that time, the chance that one could recover is high enough to make suicide to be an irrational choice. After two years recovery is still possible, but the chance of it happening is lower. So I was talking about the doctor's limited ability to provide any meaningful help to someone who has been suffering from debilitating tinnitus for over two years.

25. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      There is no hope for existence.

• Genius Genius x 1
    26. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Sounds like i had a 2 hours spike, which ended when drugs made their effect and i fell asleep. I did not have a spike during those 3 days of sleep, genius!
      Oh, you "mentioned" in your earlier messages that one should ought to wait for two years? Where did you come with that time frame from? Your zero knowledge in the subject? A person in severe suffering should receive help right away, and not wait for two years. And if the person has debilitating T, how could he wait for two years in such torture, smartypants?

27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What do you mean?

28. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      untitled.png Well then, that settles it! I'm pulling the pin on this sucker....

grenade-hi.png

• Funny Funny x 3
    29. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Yes, but Dignitas did not make him wait to travel to Switzerland for an appointment. He made the decision to wait. Previous threads implied Dignitas made him wait, but it sounds as if he had not even had any contact with them.

• Like Like x 1
    30. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi Sen,...I was only trying to get you to lighten-up a little with the goofy cartoon stuff. I really do hope that you're OK!

• Like Like x 2