Tinnitus Control by Dopamine Agonist Pramipexole in Presbycusis Patients

Discussion in 'Research News' started by rogerg, Mar 30, 2011.

1. rogerg

rogerg Member

Tinnitus control by dopamine agonist pramipexole in presbycusis patients: A randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study

Objectives/Hypothesis:
      Since the concept of tinnitus dopaminergic pathway emerged, studies have been proposed to investigate if dopaminergic agents influence tinnitus. We hypothesized that pramipexole, an agonist on D2/D3 receptors, may antagonize tinnitus in the presbycusis patients (in the frequency range of 250 to 8,000 Hz) in a dose schedule accepted for the treatment of Parkinson's disease in elderly people.

Study Design:
      We designed a randomized, prospective, placebo-controlled and double-blind trial.

Methods:
      Forty presbycusis patients aged 50 years or older with subjective tinnitus were randomized to two groups (20 patients in both). Patients in the drug group took pramipexole over a period of 4 weeks according to a treatment schedule as follows: week 1, 0.088 mg t.i.d.; week 2, 0.18 mg t.i.d.; week 3, 0.7 mg t.i.d.; week 4, 0.18 mg t.i.d. over 3 days and 0.088 mg t.i.d. the rest of the week. Patients in the second group received placebo. Determination of subjective grading of tinnitus perception, the tinnitus handicap inventory (THI) questionnaire and electrocochleography (ECOG) examinations served as the end points. Subjective audiometry was used to produce secondary data. A significant improvement in tinnitus annoyance is found in the group treated with pramipexole versus placebo with respect to inhibition of tinnitus and a decrease of tinnitus loudness greater than 30 dB. However, neither ECOG nor subjective pure-tone threshold audiometry revealed any change in hearing threshold in response to either pramipexole or placebo.

Conclusions:
      Pramipexole is an effective agent against subjective tinnitus associated with presbycusis at a dose schedule used for the treatment of Parkinson's disease. The drug did not change hearing threshold.

• Informative Informative x 2
    2. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Pramipexole is also used by bodybuilders and for treating erectile dysfunction. Maybe I could kill two birds with one stone.:cool:

• Funny Funny x 16
      • Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Gene Graves

Gene Graves Member

My doctor has really tried to help me with my tinnitus. I showed him the article in the Tinnitus magazine and the research to back it up and he said I cannot see that it would hurt to try pramipexole 0.125 mg at the dosage used for someone with Parkinson disease. That was about a month ago. I do believe it has helped reduce my tinnitus. I will continue to take it for a month or two to see what kind of results I may get.

• Like x 10
      • Agree x 1
      • Helpful x 1
      • Good Question x 1
      • Informative x 1
    4. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Gene, thanks for the report. I'm interested to see how this goes for you in the longer term. Is your doc an ENT? Please keep us updated with your outcome.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      This study looked at tinnitus from hearing loss associated with aging. It might not work for other types of hearing loss, such as noise-related--but it would not hurt to try the drug.

If anyone tries this drug, please tell us and note what caused your tinnitus (noise, aging, barotrauma, a combination of factors, etc.)

• Like Like x 2
    6. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I did some research on this recently. The theory I read, dating back to 2009, is that as we get older, a change occurs to our ability to deal with oxidative stress affecting the DCN. The study specifically stated that the change makes the voltage-gated potassium channels subject more susceptible to dysfunction. It suggested that there might be a way to fix the sensitivity chemically. It wasn't a tinnitus study, just something about presbycusis, but it suggests to me that aging-, stress-, and noise-induced tinnitus are all really just STRESS-induced.

Doesn't really suggest that pramipexole will be effective, but in my mind, the cause of tinnitus may not be as important a factor.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      I wholeheartedly agree. The common theme is overexcited neurons.

Quell the neurons that need quelling and the tinnitus will be lowered.

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      I know a person who took Pramipexole and it diminished/lowered their tinnitus effectively.

The summary of the case is:
      • The dosage the man used was 0.25 mg pill 3x / day
      • He also used Amitriptyline as a med next to Pramipexole (this combination of meds could also be important for his experience)
      • The effect seemed to wear off after some time but let him experience real silence (ohhh that would be great...) a couple of times in the beginning (he had lived for 12 years with tinnitus till then)
      Hope this helps some of you.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    10. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
    12. ThomasRobert

ThomasRobert Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic
    13. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      So the Parkinson's drug that acts on dopamine is no good either?

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I tried both Mirapex (Pramipexole) and Levodopa. They didn't do anything at all for my tinnitus one way or the other.

• Like Like x 1
    15. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Pramipexole works for me.

• Like Like x 2
    16. Freerunner

Freerunner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caloric test
      @GBB, what exactly was the effect of Pramipexole for you?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    17. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      poss ototoxicity/unknown/BVVP diagnosed first then tinnitus
      Curious as well. How did Pramipexole help you? How long did it take to see effects?

18. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It made the noise smoother and a little quieter. It probably took 1-2 weeks for me to notice changes. I personally would look and am still trying other drugs (though still on Pramipexole). Although it has a modest effect, it's not a silver bullet.

I should clarify, I think my tinnitus is nerve related (I have never had hearing loss either on a chart or anecdotally).

• Like Like x 2
    19. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hear ya! I have no hearing loss either (on an extended audiogram I can hear up to my related age) and think mine is nerve related possibly. I am scheduled to get a stellate ganglion block on the 27th.

Stellate Ganglion Block for the Relief of Tinnitus in Vibration Disease

• Like Like x 3
    20. kmt

kmt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Can you tell me how the Stellate Ganglion Block went? Did it help the tinnitus?

21. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I spiked the first day or two. Have not noticed much improvement and had 2 done, one on each side.

22. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      When you say your tinnitus is nerve related, do you refer to nerves other than the auditory one, and if yes, which one/ones?

I take Rivotril (Clonazepam) for sleep and I know this is also an epilepsy medication? I know you were trying out Keppra. Did it help? Do you have to take it all the time and do you have to raise the dosage as well? I was thinking of trying it out but if you are an old tinnitus sufferer, I don't know how much it could help.

23. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Keppra helped my reactivity but didn’t eliminate it. I think reactivity might be nerve related but I could be wrong. A lot of my tinnitus used to be accompanied by tangible nerve sensations so that’s why I thought that.

24. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Can you please elaborate more on what is tangible nerve sensations? I started with 250 mg of Keppra but I have the sensation it is making my tinnitus more intrusive, more intense. Don't know if I should continue taking it or to stop.

Is your tinnitus much better than in the beginning and would you give Keppra and Pramipexole credit for that?

25. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sure, regarding tangible nerve sensations, certain sounds would literally make the inside of my ear feel like deep inside there was a wriggling/tickling sensation which almost drove me insane after months on end of nonstop stimulus. Similarly, certain high frequency noise would make me get throat tightness or tingling in my jaw. It’s not imaginary - I could reliably induce this with certain kids of noise.

Neither Keppra nor Pramipexole made me worse at all when I started them (Pramipexole gave me terrible nausea for the first 24 hours but this is well known as a side effect). If either are making you worse it may not be effective for you.

I am moderately better but not sure how much credit the meds get - all I can say is if I miss a dose or try to taper down my symptoms go back to their old hell levels, so my inference is they help. Also my reactivity still shows up, for example I used to get crazy ringing from riding my Peloton with a fan for 30 minutes or showering, and that could last a week - now I can ride longer and shower more frequently with more brief spikes, but it’s still there, just with more “generous” allowances.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    26. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Please let me know how that goes!

27. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Did you do the Stellate Ganglion Block for tinnitus or hyperacusis?

28. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tinnitus. No improvement from the two SGB's.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    29. DoesItStop

DoesItStop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Visual snow, amitriptyline
      Are you still taking the Keppra? Did it help at all with the tinnitus? My neuro at the Mayo Clinic wants me to try Keppra for my visual snow syndrome, but all I really care about is lowering the tinnitus. The static, floaters, halos etc have nothing on the intrusive high frequency scream in my head all the time. Curious if Keppra could be helpful for that. I’m also considering trying Pramipexole.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      No, it didn't help me!