Tinnitus No Longer Bothers Me

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Jazzer, Apr 24, 2023.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My noise-induced tinnitus remains at about 60 decibels, when voice matched. I have had tinnitus since 1992, and it was fairly mild to start with. I have been a professional brass player since 1962 - trombone and trumpet. An acquaintance blasted an instrument directly into my face in June 2014. On waking the following morning I was in ‘HELL...!!!’

I asked my lovely wife to take me to Dignitas. She said, “Dave I would do anything to help you - but never that. I know that it must be terrible, but you have to be bigger than tinnitus.”

I’ll cut a long story short. Sylvie achieved a diploma in clinical hypnotherapy at King’s College Hospital, London (2002). On a jazz week in Salabrenia in Spain, my tinnitus was ragging. I told Sylvia during the afternoon, that I didn’t think I could go on stage that evening. This would have jeopardised the entire booking, and my career.

We went to our bedroom, Sylvie hypnotised me, and gave me a subliminal suggestion that my tinnitus would recede into the background, and would begin to bother me less and less. I was able to appear, and continued performing on stages, jazz clubs, international festivals, cruise ships etc... using earplugs throughout each performance, but easing them out of the ear when playing a trombone feature when tone and execution were absolutely vital.

In 2017 I decided to leave my beloved profession to minimise the risk of further damage.

My tinnitus level has not dropped by even 1 dB since 2014.

I haven’t been appearing on ‘Tinnitus Talk’ much recently, though I did make a video called “Dave’s Tinnitus Story” which is up on YouTube, about five years ago. I wanted it to be informative, and encouraging, though I stated that there is no cure, unlike various other videos that claimed to offer a cure???!!!

If you watch it, you will easily see that in emotional terms it cost me something to make it.

In recent years I lost Sylvie, my adorable wife, developed progressive Parkinson’s disease, broke my right shoulder in a (P) fall, which is beyond surgical repair, joined a philosophy class, and now give two lectures a month on Jazz Appreciation. I have several anecdotes, having played with several of the jazz greats.

Since joining Tinnitus Talk, I have written countless items on here. Until today it had not occurred to me to write a ‘Success Story” - let’s face it - I still have loud tinnitus. But my tinnitus very rarely occurs to me nowadays.

Sylvie’s hypnotic suggestion obviously helped, as does meditation, and lessons on acceptance learnt in my philosophy class.

Best wishes to everybody.

Love,
      Dave
      Jazzer xx

• Like x 12
      • Winner x 10
      • Hug x 8
      • Friendly x 3
      • Agree x 1
      • Helpful x 1
      • Good Question x 1
    2. Hardwell

Hardwell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/10/2015
      That was a really nice read Dave. I have to say that your optimism and positive attitude, despite your plight, is admirable.

Wish you all the best.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thank you very much brother. But I should really say - in essence, what choice do I have?

As you may know, Eckhart Tolle advises, “I accept this moment just as it is.” Resistance to that which already is, will increase the suffering. (Clever buggers them philosophers.)

Dave x
      Jazzer

• Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Eckhart was spot on with that advice. Letting go and accepting is "the only" way forward.

Thanks for sharing @Jazzer. All the best!

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Thanks for sharing @Jazzer. Reading your story was one of the first things I did when I was introduced to Tinnitus Talk. I enjoyed learning about your jazz background and adapting/adjusting to severe tinnitus.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      I just can't let go. So I suffer I guess.

7. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      It takes time. Lots of it. Hang in there.

• Like Like x 4
      • Useful Useful x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Stayinghopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened with COVID-19 / Anesthesia
      You’re only a few months in. I think most people think that initially. You’ve read this story so it should give you hope that even with severe tinnitus you can learn to be unbothered by it and as a result notice it less and less.

• Like Like x 4
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
    9. Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello @gameover, hang in there, you can do this x

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Stayinghopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened with COVID-19 / Anesthesia
      @Jazzer, did your tinnitus ever fluctuate much after it got worse in 2014?

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      No, I don’t think so.

I bought a decibel meter for my iPhone (SPLnFFT) and voice matched my tinnitus noise to the meter, and it was always about 55-60 dB.

12. Sam-P

Sam-P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19 Infection
      Thank you for your story. I’m also a brass, cornet, trumpet, flugelhorn player.

I developed tinnitus 12 months ago after a COVID-19 infection, which coincided with the first return to performance post-COVID-19 and in quite a loud environment! I’d never used earplugs or thought about hearing damage up until then. I think the combination of the infection and performances over that weekend probably was the cause.

I’ve only played a few times over the past year for fear of more damage. I’m intrigued how musicians cope with tinnitus and continue to play. Interestingly, I haven’t met anyone in my circle who has tinnitus and plays.

I’m 51 years old so probably with many years of unnoticed cumulative damage.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      What type of music do you play Sam?

I’m a Dixieland / mainstream jazzer, with a fairly forthright sound. I continued playing for three years with tinnitus using earplugs, but eventually had to give up.

14. Sam-P

Sam-P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19 Infection
      Oh amazing!

I started off in traditional brass bands and still play occasionally with a carnival style band that I organise. I managed a 3 day festival in Germany last September. I had to, I organised the band getting there! I struggle to play with attenuated earplugs. It takes the enjoyment out of it. I really want to return to banding properly again!

What ear protection did you use?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      When I stopped playing, I was first call trombone for five bands. As I took solos in every number, I could only use the standard silicone sponges, as I had to ease them half out for my solos and features. If you look up ‘Jazzer’s Videos’ on here, and find ‘When You Wish Upon a Star’, you’ll get my style of jazz.

16. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Looking back, do you think you should have given up earlier?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Good question.

The single incident that doubled my tinnitus occurred in June 2014.

I was playing very well - strong concept and good technique. I was enjoying myself. I decided to pack up in 2017. My noise hadn’t increased - I just got more worried about it.

18. Sam-P

Sam-P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19 Infection
      I had a listen and watch. What an incredible sound and style... bravo! My dad was a trombone player, he loved Dixieland style. He got me into brass by bringing home his little girl, a cornet, from band one night. 40 years later I’m still playing, but only half playing now. I just don’t want to have to give up completely!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well done Sam - with earplugs you should be okay I think. Working in jazz clubs, some of the band leaders set the volume too high, I always complained and asked for some consideration, but was ignored. So I decided to quit. But I had played professionally for 57 years, and enjoyed every minute of it.

Best wishes Sam.

Dave x
      Jazzer

20. Sam-P

Sam-P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19 Infection
      And best wishes to you too.

Sam

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    21. TuckFinnitus

TuckFinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely meniere's disease and severe stress
      I wish I was as brave as some people here. Sometimes it gets really soul crushing, especially when you can't sleep. :(

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      You are very new to it. Everybody who joins Tinnitus Talk has or has had a tinnitus problem, it has nothing to do with "bravery". In the vast majority of tinnitus cases, the mind has to adjust to it, and it becomes less and less bothersome. The chances are very good that your tinnitus and its annoyance will improve, in time.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    23. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Beautifully said @Luman.

• Like Like x 1
    24. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thanks for sharing @Jazzer.

I admire your optimism even though it's the only choice. Your story is a must read for everyone, not only tinnitus sufferers. You're such a strong person, my hat is off to you. I wish you all the best :beeranimation:

Sincerely.

• Friendly Friendly x 2