Tinnitus, TMJ, Headaches, Neck Pain, Facial Pain, etc. — Possible Treatment

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by erik, Jul 23, 2012.

1. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      You definitely have to have the split adjusted over time - that's very important. If something doesn't feel right, I would have it checked out. Does yours place on the lower mouth teeth? I woke up the other day and my bite felt out of place - I really need to get into something else not to mention the teeth hurt and TMj areas achy.

Cannot get used to the splint?

2. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I mean, what should I fear? That I could get tinnitus? :p

3. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Maybe you should get a massage to your shoulder and neck areas.:p Possibly try some other less toxic anti-convulsants like gabapentin or mysoline. I wonder if there is any other potassium channel modulators besides Trobalt/Potiga that do not have a Black Box warning?
      I think that is irreversible.:(

• Genius Genius x 1
    4. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yes, maybe I should :p

Yeah, Ive been thinking of Gabapentin :) I have a box of them as well :)

Yes, I think too.. :p

5. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      • Genius Genius x 1
    6. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      This condition is so f***ed up that Im having a hard time taking it seriously.. And the fact that no doctor seems to understand or how to treat any of it makes it even harder..

You ARE genious, you just arent genious enough to know it yourself :p

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Sjtof
      Digging it

Sjtof Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hi guys,

Just had dry needling treatment. Hurt pretty bad. At everything feels a little bruised.

I'm not sure what to expect from it, like when you should feel a difference or not. If that should happen immediately or after some time.

Next to this I'm not sure if the guy who treats me knows exactly what I'm talking about. Because he keeps showing me all those pictures with the muscles on it like we posted on this forum several times. The main thing I still can't explain is the abnormal weird sound I get in my left ear when I turn my head to the right. It's sound a bit like buzzing, but also lik a blood vessel gets stuck, because i get this pumping feeling in my shoulder and neck on the left side when i do this.

I've had this from the beginning on and for some reason everytime I tell this to the therapists, they stare at me like Ok..... But I think it's a key element in my case. It's this plus the tingling /itchy feeling in my jaw/neck and the pressure I feel behind my jaw when laying flat on the ground or bed or whatever.

Anyways, I'll keep u updated but so far I think this won't be the right guy to help me out b maybe I'm wrong, cuz it was the first treatment.

Also don't u guys never have the feeling that this condition makes you feel exhausted at times. Like its a struggle almost everyday. Especially because in my case at least there is no sound which I should adapt to, because something changes it throughout the day, depending on what I do. Like I said before I've had better times, but knowing that I'm doing treatment after treatment and still nothing works makes me feel a bit depressed at times.. But then again I think, there are people who can't do shit because of there disease and i can still do most things I like to do.....

8. applewine
      Curious

applewine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ME/CFS, Dysautonomia
      @Mr. Cartman Stop. What are you thinking? Nerve blocks? Cutting thing? Retagabine? This is a surprise to me. These are serious permanant changes.

9. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @applewine

Im not going to have it done tomorrow though.. But if this stuff sticks around for a while, im going to try out a few things for sure.

"The published data clearly demonstrate neurophysiologic and structural convergence of cervical sensory and muscle afferent inputs onto trigeminal subnucleus caudalis nociceptive and non-nociceptive neurons. Moreover, changes in metabolic activity and blood flow in the brainstem and cervical dorsal horn of the spinal cord in both monkeys and cats have been demonstrated after electric stimulation of the V1-innervated superior sagittal sinus. In conclusion, the animal experimental data support the findings of human empiric and experimental studies, which suggest that strong connectivity exists between trigeminal and cervical motor and sensory responses."

Kind of interesting if you ask me.. :)

• Genius Genius x 1
    10. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yo! :)

Thanks for the update!

What muscles did you have needled?

Yeah, this condition can be a little exhausting at times, Ill give you that :p

11. Codaz

Codaz Member

@Sjtof

Keep that in mind, that there are always people who are "gekluisterd aan hun bed" as they say in Dutch. Tight to their bed and cannot do a thing. We can go out and have fun. I already planned a ton of non loud trips in 2015 with my friends to get my mood better and celebrate my T improvements. I even consider going back to work actually.

Now if only I could beat anxiety....

12. applewine
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ME/CFS, Dysautonomia
      Thought I'd mention something I've noticed in the past. If you press between the rib cage bones in the upper area of the chest especially toward the sternum I feel a pain in the back near the shoulder blades. This has sometimes made me wonder if the pain is coming from the front.

13. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @Sjtof

I got the last MRI report back and it indeed shows a neurovascular conflict. If I remember correct, you had that as well?
      Could you please PM me what nerve it was and what artery that was involved (if you dont want to publish the details in the forum)?

I might need to have this fixed with microvascular decompression.

@applewine
      @just1morething

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. applewine
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ME/CFS, Dysautonomia
      @Mr. Cartman What type of MRI was this? What type of doctor ordered your MRI?

I had an MRI of my brain multiple times over the years and they said that was all that I needed. Finally I convinced one to do a neck MRI. I was seeing neurologists. My neurologist said there was nothing on my brain or neck MRI that would explain this. Every doctor has said I should take drugs and see a psychologist and there were no more tests. They did do one evoked potentials test and multiple EMG's in their office though multiple times over the years.

I don't know what a neurovascular conflict is. Where is it, what type what nerve or vein?

http://www.em-consulte.com/en/article/126050
      Even symptom free volunteers will have NVC's and thereforeit is important to distinguish normal anatomic findings from realconflicts. This is not possible on imaging alone but MR can reallysupport the clinical diagnosis when the following signs are present:1) The conflict is at the transition zone of the central to theperipheral myelin, also called the root entry zone, located at adifferent distance from the brainstem for every nerve. 2) The vesselcrosses the nerve in a perpendicular way. 3) The vessel is an artery(more frequently causing symptoms than a vein). The vessel displacesthe nerve. 5) The nerve enhances (very rare).

15. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
    16. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yeah, Ive had like 7 MRIs and 3 CTs, and this is the first time it has been catched up.. Not sure how no one has seen this before.

17. Sjtof
      Digging it

Sjtof Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      @Mr. Cartman

Ey man, ye I had that as well, but it was in the right labyrint or something, while my T is the worst in my left ear. I wouldn't mind publishing if they at least gave me any more details. The only thing they told me was that it was apparently pretty frequently observed by people and that perhaps it was not the the cause of my T and that it's kind off untreatable cuz of the risks of the operation. That's all I know, sorry man.

I told u guys about the sideways head movement to eat right which gives me a complete different sound in my ear..

Well I think I found out that it is probably a blood vessel in my neck going all the way up in my ear.

Because when I press my neck at a certain point I can feel and hear the blood pumping in my ea. r it's weird though and I point it out to my fysio tomorrow, see what he has to say about it.

@Codaz

Ye i get what you mean. Point is, I kind off beat the anxiety, just the feeling in my neck and the everyday fluctuations of the sound annoy the shit out of me. I'm pulling an pressing my neck like literally 24/7. As I finally think I'm able to lay down as the sound has lowered, then a certain position may all off a sudden increase the loudness again.

I'm seriously doubting about working out again. I mean all I'm doing now is playing ps4 games in order to distract my attention of the sound. Maybe increasing muscle strength has the opposite effect of what you might expect in the first place.

Oh ye and the dry needling didn't shoe any improvement. No real clue what muscles he treated but it were only a few in my left shoulder and my left jaw. But I didnt notice any difference.

18. applewine
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ME/CFS, Dysautonomia
      @Sjtof What kind of MRI was this abnormality of yours on? I've had brain and neck and nothing abnormal that could explain this. Have you ever gotten cold water sensations in you legs or feet or anywhere else? I get that a lot. I also suspect what @Mr. Cartman has could be a normal abnormality, which exist all the time.

19. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @applewine

It might not be related indeed.. My gut feeling says that its not.. But I will talk to someone about it..

Had a CT of my neck today, Ill have the results within a few days :)

Did your new therapist have any clue as to what this stuff could be?

20. Codaz

Codaz Member

@Sjtof

Thing is, don't expect any miracles from muscle treatments. It's not like they treat you 2 times and T is 50% lower.
      I worked 7 months on my jaw and neck to have 50% improvement. But the other 50% is much more difficult.

21. applewine
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ME/CFS, Dysautonomia
      @Mr. Cartman I've been to the new therapist three times now. He recently said I need to use a special tool on my paxrasinal muscles and I ordered the tool. He has worked on my neck, chest, back, arms now. I wonder about my right lower back. I think I'll ask him to give that a try next time. That thing is always bothering me, but I can't press there long enough with my arms. There is a sweet spot if you press right up where the ribs meet the spine from the side almost toward the front, up in that corner pocket is where you press even if it feels lower. It will feel good, this is a common spot.

I haven't had any symptom relief. I still feel it between my shoulder blades and everywhere else. I still get the water stuff everywhere. I just did a google search on the water sensations and the anxiety forum popped up again. One person said she gets the sensations of random water splashes all the time because she had an extremely bad reaction to a medication so now she has nerve damage. For me it started when the I went to the crazy doctor who gave me 4 antibiotics and I started to feel rain drops. I had felt the water years before for only one year and it was like water running down my legs. Same sensation, but not all over. For me though the sensations come in cycles of going and returning. When they get bad and return and I get the stinging and burning ones. I don't know if it was from exercise somehow or from upper respiratory infections.

22. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thanks for the update! :)

I was doing some aggressive exercises on my neck yesterday, and tinnitus got really loud and I could literally feel that my jaw muscles were tensing up..

I wonder why muscles are tensing up.. Ive never experienced anything similar.. I can literally feel that they start contracting, especially if I do stuff with my neck..

23. Codaz

Codaz Member

Today occipitalis muscle pain, and a lot of it. But low T, great. I FEEL improvement. Pain is improvement for me.
      What I have read in the papers is that short neck muscles due to stress cause the T. They are tensed / contracting because of stress. The excersizes / therapy is there to improve muscle mobilility / stretch hem again.
      I've seen that they do neuromodulation at that points too.

Neck and shoulders account for so much things, the tension headaches I had for 4 months, anxiety (I felt it coming from the neck), tinnitus.

2014 is almost over, horrible year it was regarding my health. Really wrecked myself.

@Mr. Cartman Some new info about the injections they do at the nervus occipitalis.
      See: http://books.google.de/books?id=NUN2QJp2QVQC&pg=PA176&lpg=PA176&dq=nervus occipitalis major neuralgie&source=bl&ots=3bN4WDCE_q&sig=qt8w-V0ZmvDQy5yZbbXwBWfDSEE&hl=de&sa=X&ei=Hcn2T8TRNdHcsgaW3I2-BQ&ved=0CE4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=nervus occipitalis major neuralgie&f=false

Now I also know why I felt T on top of my head some weeks ago, see this image:

kap4_abb_4-8.jpg

9308.gif

24. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      This week I'm going to visit a manual-physiotherapist.
      I also will ask for trigger point massage and dry needling.

I have jaw/neck/shoulderpain way before I my onset of T and H.
      My neck feels like a brick. The last time (few year ago) I went to the therapist
      he couldn't believe how stiff my shoulders and neck were lol.

Btw 20 years ago I also had shaking or blurry vision. Anyonehere had this too?

Sometimes I'm thinking I might have a neurologic problem, maybe fibromyalgia.
      I had a lot of stress in my life.

25. Codaz

Codaz Member

Vision problems can be related to cervical problems. My physiotherapist treats one women now for that. Her eye doctor found nothing wrong...

26. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      9308.gif
      Same spot where I have tension, but only at the left side. Is there a difference in the left and right muscles?

Hmmm...

27. Codaz

Codaz Member

Could be. These muscles are quite unfamiliar to me in treatments. My physio used his hands. But I've read elsewhere about injections.

28. applewine
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ME/CFS, Dysautonomia
      My vision will shake, wobble, jitter, jump, peripheral vision goes wavy whenever I look at things up close less than 6 inches and move my eyes like reading or panning. It has been like this since 2006 I believe when the neck pain started. It will do this 100% of the time if I do what I described and never otherwise. I also went to nuro-opthomologist, nuroligists and opthomologists and they saw nothing. That was years ago. Recently only neurologists. None were even familiar with the symptom. I would not describe it as blurry though.

There is a symptom related to vision shaking in the trigger point literature. I believe it is called the orbicularis muscles. These muscles can shake and they can be doing this in response to SCM trigger points I think it says.

Is this what you experience?

29. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      I had this 20 years ago. I'm now 39. I had blurry/flickering or moving vision. Like everything was moving fast in front of my eyes. I had no nausea or balance problems. My eyes are OK now, never wore glasses or lenses.

30. Sjtof
      Digging it

Sjtof Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I had dry needling done yesterday, only my left trapezius was treated though. Mote or less at the spot were it says triggerpoint. This spot also hurt pretty bad from time to time. I'm always pulling my neck/shoulder at that spot, because of the pain I feel in there.

trapezius_4c.jpg

I felt so many twitches in there, it kind off hurt and it also went up all the way up into my ear which kinda felt nice though. Although the spot feels sore, I think today was one of the lowest T days ever since it occured. Last nite in bed I had my head turned to the right, which stretches this muscle. Normally this would increase the T, so I would always lay the other way around. But now I could feel the sensation going into my ear and could literally feel my T.. I do think this muscle causes the pain in my ear which I experience from time to time. Anyways I'll continue with this treatment.

• Like Like x 1