Trip to the Circus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Amelia, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Taking my daughter to the circus this afternoon. And after the excitement of taking her wore off I'm starting to get paranoid ... How loud is it going to be?

Obviously going to wear my ear plugs but what if they aren't enough? I'm freaking out!

It's a 2 hour show with an interval.

I'll be ok right?

2. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      @ Amelia, i take it that it is an indoor circus by that i mean under a tent? all i can say is that i went to a similar thing last year before t onset ( nothing to do with me getting t ) and as i remember it was rather loud ... the music was loud and the whole thing was about noise. I'm not telling you not to go, only you can decide, but i would say go with another adult and if you freak out you can go outside leaving your daughter to enjoy the show with the other person, i would hate that you made the wrong decision as it will only be you that suffers ... just my thoughts on this.

3. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Only you can make the decision.

The only thing I will add is: remember not just to bring your own earplugs, but those for your child/children, as well. Our inner ears are a fine piece of biological machinery, and should not be treated like doormats. Tinnitus or not.

(I realize this post might be late-ish).

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Amelia - I am very careful now about going to loud events ..I just don't go period .i went twice and had to go through hell .
      If you must go then perhaps you can use double protection ear plugs /ear muffs.
      I knkw it sucks to make all these sacrifices ! I have a guest and they want me to go to movies and I can't go :(

5. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I think you will be okay dont worry just use ear protection and if possible at all take breaks. Sometimes we have to do things that are loud just really try not to think of the noise too much just have a good time and be careful :)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Well guys, I went.

In the end I though "I'll be f*cked if T is going to rule my life"
      After all - this is memories for my kid and I would not have missed it for the world - seeing the excitement on her face was something I should not have had to miss.

I wore my plugs and it did seem to keep most of the "loudness" out. The only time I was exposed to loud noise was walking in and out - took my plugs out as we left and then they turned the music up! So maybe a minute all up of loud music.

The downside was that I had a lot of trouble hearing what my daughter said at time tho :( Plus I could hear my T and it was a little distracting

My T last night and this morning seems a little louder but that could be a temporary spoke OR me listening for it/worrying about it and amplifying the sound.

I'm choosing to believe its because I'm thinking of it. I mean, my T has spiked more after going to a resturant.

I do appreciate all you advice, and please don't think I'll be running all over the place now exposing myself to loudness. My husbands work is having their mid year social on a cruiseship with a live band and I've declined that.

Hopefully today the very mild increase in the T goes back to baseline and it will give me that little bit if confidence to start living again :)

• Like Like x 2
    7. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      IMO, Amelia,
      All loud sounds add up. That's my experience. Everyone talks about spikes. What about the damage done but we don't get a spike?
      I fooled myself MANY times (since '74) into thinking the volume was OK, when is was not. Or that the occasion was worth it. NO occasion in my life would be worth this damn tinnitus.
      I skipped out on a lot of my kids' fun because of T. I should have skipped out on a few more. Apparently every circus, school function, movie, even church activities have to have loud music nowadays.

8. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I agree with I who love music about loud sounds adding up. However if you are not a fan of loud music, concerts, bars etc. and go with your children to loud places 3-4 times a year with good protection, it does not necessarily have to be dangerous. Sure you might miss some events, but you can go to others. Its important to be reasonable:) And if you really feel that smth is clearly too loud, trust your instinct and leave. Kids will probably be mad at you but I guess they just have to accept it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I agree some what with i who love music .It seems my T has gotten louder after couple of incidents ..movies and a concert ( I was not wearing plugs ).
      Yesterday I was at a bar and noise was it 95-100 DB. I was wearing plugs so it didn't feel loud at all ! But we still change the bar and went to quite bar .

@I who love music ..if you wear ear plugs which is supposed gives u 33db protection ..let's say even if it blocks out 25 DB ..why would it spike T ?
      Amelia how loud was the event ?

10. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I don't trust earplugs. Damaging low frequencies from the bass guitar and drums go through the skull - earplugs are of no help. I'm proof.