University of Minnesota Tinnitus Research with Acoustic and Body Stimulation

Discussion in 'Research News' started by kelpiemsp, Apr 2, 2018.

1. antonio77

antonio77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have always thought about the absurdity of space research, the extraordinary amount of money that is useless, but also that those space research centers have many of the smartest people in the world. If only all that money and talent were dedicated to treating neurological diseases!

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. antonio77

antonio77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Do they keep in touch with you to study your case? it is evident that something happened so that after 30 years your tinnitus disappeared.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I’ve had a few moments of tinnitus, nothing that lasted longer than a couple of days. It was always accompanied by a significant change in hearing (allergies or sinus infection).
      Unfortunately I do not :(
      In theory, yes.

In practice, it would simply not be cost effective. I spent 12 months getting treatments, being hooked up to an EKG (or ECG?) and being hooked directly up to what I can only assume is a higher grade of equipment.
      Life is great, but I’ll never forget how horrible tinnitus is.
      A couple of times, but I’m sure the funding is out and the people have moved on.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I guess many research in the past centuries was commented this way... progress of civilization requires research in many directions, some of them seemingly useless.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      I mentioned your case to Dr. Brendan Conlon of Neuromod (Lenire) and suggested that many would be prepared to pay a lot of money for this intense treatment hooked up to ECG like Dr. Lim had success with you in University of Minnesota. He just brushed it off.

I left the meeting wondering who genuinely had the bigger problem with their ‘ears’.

Why not bring this out as a commercial treatment?

I’d pay all the money I have to get this cure.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    6. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      What is great about your example is that bimodal stimulation eliminated your tinnitus including the spikes. My biggest concern was that bimodal would reduce tinnitus but we would still not be able to live a normal life due to sound sensitivity that remains, including spikes, worsenings etc. But apparently the neuroplasticity resets that too.

I hope that Dr. Shore's device, even if 50% reduction is the case, stops the spikes and the worsenings. I would manage my loud tinnitus without a problem if I knew that it wouldn't spike (permanently) so easily.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    7. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Opposite for me. If I could just get the normal down to a livable level, I’d have plenty of resiliency to deal with the odd bad days or weeks.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Glad you’re doing well with no tinnitus. I’m having my grade 5 internal derangement crunchy left TMJ surgery next month by a doctor in Robbinsdale, MN. He’s doing a fat graft procedure to my left jaw. I’m hoping my highly annoying left ear hissing stops as it really makes me irritable. Yesterday it was static which was even worse. Imaging showed I have inflammation around my left ear canal.

I have neuropathy in both feet as well with numbness and stinging. I had back surgery in May but that didn’t fix it so far. It seems Lyrica gives me some relief.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      Best of luck with your surgery! Internal derangement sounds pretty bad but I’d imagine most tinnitus sufferers have another form of ‘internal derangement’ :)

Sincerely hope all goes well and you get relief.

• Like Like x 2