Update: NUCCA Chiropractor Refuses to Treat Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jack Thompson, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Jack Thompson

Jack Thompson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neck trauma
      I have some bad news for my Tinnitus treatment, after thinking about the way I my T started (after a slightly rough massage around my neck) and doing research on neck related Tinnitus I was sure that NUCCA was what I needed, in September I went to see Heidi Grant in London, the ONLY nucca chiropractor in Europe, and she looked at me and could tell I had neck issues, did some shoulder and hip alignment measurements which revealed they were misaligned. I also had forward neck posture. I also have neck and back pain, dizziness etc ..

but this was when it all went down hill, as soon I mentioned I was Vegan, something felt off between us, she said she normally turns away vegans, but told me she wasn't refusing to treat me and said I should get my b12 levels checked, which I did, and I am fine, my b12 is over 600, I supplement. I then made another appointment to get my x rays and treatment done, and I sent a message saying my b12 is fine and that I even ate some eggs and fish.

I just got an email today saying Heidi Grant doesn't think NUCCA care would be right for me, they will ring me on Saturday to refund me for my Consultation...

Guess I have 2 choices, travel to another country to get NUCCA treatment or just try the normal type of chiropractor and hope for the best...

Can't believe a chiro would just leave someone suffering because they're a vegan.

2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      wow, wonder why ?

3. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Bizarre...think there is a centre in Switzerland, however believe the treatment is controversial...

4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Will share my opinion. She did you a favor. Chiropractors are quacks. Take a given patient. Put three different chiropractors in a room. All three look at the same X-rays for a given patient. Each will recommend a different 'subluxation' technique...even trained at the same school.
      The industry should be banned. The whole notion of measuring a human being for symmetry is absurd. People are born asymmetric....their faces, their feet and shoe size, their leg length, their hands and yes their ears.
      Good luck OP.

5. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      jack with the best intentions id not go to a chiropracter .its a bit of a shady business ( ive got the T shirt)

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Thompson

Jack Thompson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neck trauma
      if chiropractor's are quacks and scam artists why would they turn down £480 of my money just because I'm vegan ?

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Thompson

Jack Thompson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neck trauma
      not sure what you mean by (I've got the T shirt) ?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Thompson

Jack Thompson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neck trauma
      thanks but I'll pass on the Switzerland one, I'll try to see some more local chiropractor's, see what happens.

9. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I see a physical therapist that also does chiropractic work that has done wonders for me. There are quacks in every profession, but let's not pretend that there is no merit to this.

Jack - why were you talking about being a vegan. Can't help but leave this here. lol
      bmyBQBE-Imgur.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Thompson

Jack Thompson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neck trauma
      what does your chiropractor do ? oh she asked me if I took any medications and I said no just vitamin supplements, then she asked which ones and I said b12 because I'm vegan... yeah I wish I never said it now.

11. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've had atlas adjustments, TMJ work, upper thoracic work, sphenoid adjustments. It's somewhat painful but has been helpful.

It's not a cure.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Thompson

Jack Thompson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neck trauma
      if your tinnitus is caused by loud music then a chiropractor can't cure it yes

13. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music definitely made me aware of my tinnitus. chiropractic work has taken the "somatic" element out of it, which makes it much more steady when its "on" - easier to ignore.

14. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Did you eat garlic before your appointment?:D

15. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Jack Thompson well, her attitude makes my blood boil! Why would she refuse a vegan? I am vegan too, and if anything I take much more care with my diet to ensure I get the nutrition I need. If you stuffed your face with McDonalds and chocolate all day she wouldn't care!

16. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I see a Nucca chiropractor. So far she hasn't helped. I think they are strange birds. Things they believe and study are strange. If I wasn't desperate, I would totally stop going.

17. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      My advice because I have such a low opinion of chiropractors and if anything do more harm than good with their so called 'adjustments'....I have a friend with T that has been to several types of chiropractor and coincidentally she is a vegan and a health nut...my personal MD is an osteopath and can and has performed adjustments on me...is stop wasting your time and money. Desperate people are looking for answers and want hope and why they continue to go to chiropractors when they don't help. When someone goes to a chiropractor when they get better for a muscle imbalance issue over a period of two months, they would have gotten better anyway as their issue is likely soft tissue and unrelated to manipulating the spine.

Go find another 'belief system' would be my advice. Pick one. I suggest even a good massage therapist. Or find a good shrink. Or take up a new hobby. Or buy a Ducati Super Sport motorcycle and take lessons at the track. Find a way to distract yourself. Work on your overall health and anxiety level.
      A lot of people that visit chiropractors after a long period of time never got the memo about definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.

Good luck.

• Winner Winner x 1
    18. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @stophiss Your posts do cause me to smile at times and I thank you. You tell it like it is and are able to see through all the paraphernalia with complete accuracy.
      Great post.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    19. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jack ive got the T shirt is an old saying ive been there done that. Doing research I wouldnt recco it thats all.

20. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Thanks Michael. And to not get started and indict the entire medical industry but there is quite a trail of tears based upon promises of helping and continuously bilking people who want to believe in something. Some MD's do great good, save lives and offer help. But there is a dark side of money grubbing. This certainly pervades the chiropractic industry and even dental practice when they drill because they make money by drilling. The old joke is never ask a surgeon if he should cut, because that is what they do and get paid handsomely for it. The only time they don't is when they feel they will lose everything based upon liability...doing more harm than good.

Sorry for the cynicism. Chiropractors and the guys who couldn't make it into medical or even dental school are the bottom of the food chain as they smile and greet you and take your money. Even guys up the food chain promise hope and fleece people of their money and time and sometimes even compromise health in the process. Look at all the snake oil salesman associated with tinnitus. Hard to say what the balance of ethical to non ethical people is in this world. Maybe best all said we don't know. There are many very good people as well Michael which includes you.

21. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Well the reason I keep going is that my hearing improved after going. This isn't my subjective feeling but my actual hearing tests. My tinnitus has not improved. Maybe I shouldn't have said that it hasn't helped. I was referring to the t.

22. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Chiropractors and osteopaths aren't recognized by the medical profession here in the UK. I did once use an osteopath for my back and believed "manipulation" was what helped me. However, I will never know as I could have healed naturally and have recently been reading that there is no scientific proof of manipulation helping with healing.

Ironically when you read what they can treat in their windows, it is always lists ailments that may regresse on their own...

Having said this, looking for alternative treatment helps us feel we have some control and could have some positive effect on us, piece of mind, placebo etc.
      As always we need to manage our expectations...personally would be worried about anything too inasive...

23. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @Candy off topic but who is that on your pic? Looks iconic.

24. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      With all due respect - soft tissue doesn't always just "heal". Yes, a spinal "adjustment" won't fix those problems. I had a chronic pain injury (hip and groin) called athletic pubalgia. It caused me tremendous pain for FIVE years. Yet after 3-4 months with someone that understood soft tissue, posture, and bone alignment I was 60% better. A year later 90% better.

Most complex problems require multiple treatments. I'm not saying that tinnitus can be fixed by a chiro btw. I'm saying that you're being a bit obtuse to assume that an entire profession is quackery when it in fact does help a lot of people.

25. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Sam Bridge That is Sophia Loren Sam. A famous Italian actress. Although I preferred Gina lologbridida also Italian.

26. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you Stophiss.
      Your post reminds of a TV documentary that I watched quite a few years ago, about the unscrupulous behaviour of some dentists. The programme was called: Drilling for money. It showed a 21 year old woman that once had a beautiful set of teeth with no fillings. She went for consultation at a new dental practice, and was advised fillings were needed that weren't necessary. Everywhere possible the dentist drilled and put fillings. When the young woman opened her mouth it was full of silver!
      You are not being cynical, just telling it like it is and writing quite eloquently in the process.
      Please keep the posts coming.
      Michael

27. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      We will agree to disagree and you will keep chiropractors gainfully employed. :D
      Placebo is a beautiful thing. ;)
      Glad you aren't saying that tinnitus can be cured by a chiropractor. That would be ground breaking.
      Be well Tom.

• Funny Funny x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Thompson

Jack Thompson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neck trauma
      Chiropractic helps teenager stuck in acute...

please watch this video and then tell me chiropractor's are a waste of time and quacks

29. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The video looks genuine and if it's true then I'm pleased for that young man getting his life back and is now pain free. That old saying: Believe half of what you see and nothing that you hear still has me thinking. Regarding tinnitus. There are a lot of con artists and charlatans out there, ready to relieve someone of their money who's in distress with their tinnitus. Unfortunately, people that are new to this condition often fall victim to these unscrupulous people that have no regard or respect for fellow human beings. Therefore, I agree a lot with what Stophiss says.

There is a well known tinnitus clinic in the UK (mentioning no names) that charges and arm and a leg for their tinnitus treatment. I know two people that have spent thousands of pounds there and got no relief from their tinnitus. When one of them complained, he was quickly shown the door. It is behaviour like this, that makes me hope the NHS never goes private.
      Michael

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Thompson

Jack Thompson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neck trauma
      like I said to Stophiss, the NUCCA chiropractor would of received around £480 pounds from me for the x rays and treatment but she declined me, a scam or con artist looking to get money from desperate Tinnitus sufferer's wouldn't say no to that money, doesn't make sense, I believe some chiropractors are con or scam artists and some are genuine and believe their treatment can help

also I think many Tinnitus sufferer's who don't have T because of neck injury go to see Chiropractor's out of desperation and say it didn't help and didn't do anything, then other people read it and think chiro's are a waste of time and only want money, Chiro's can only possibly cure peoples Tinnitus if its caused by cervical spine issues.