Using Extracochlear Multichannel Electrical Stimulation to Relieve Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by InNeedOfHelp, Jun 14, 2022.

1. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      Using Extracochlear Multichannel Electrical Stimulation to Relieve Tinnitus and Reverse Tinnitus-Related Auditory-Somatosensory Plasticity in the Cochlear Nucleus

Objectives
      Tinnitus has no reliable cure but may be significantly relieved by the usage of cochlear implants. However, not all tinnitus patients necessitate cochlear implantation that can impair hearing. This study was to investigate whether a novel extracochlear electrical stimulation (EES) strategy could relieve tinnitus of guinea pigs without hearing impairment, and the roles of auditory-somatosensory plasticity in the cochlear nucleus in the tinnitus relief.

Materials and Methods
      We used a novel four-electrode extracochlear implant to electrically stimulate the cochlea of tinnitus guinea pigs. Tinnitus was assessed by the gap-prepulse inhibition of the acoustic startle reflex (GPIAS) ratios and the tinnitus index. The plasticity of auditory and somatosensory innervation in the different subdivisions of cochlear nucleus was evaluated by immunostaining of vesicular glutamate transporter 1 (VGLUT1) and VGLUT2, respectively.

Results
      The EES induced significant decreases of GPIAS ratios and the tinnitus index of tinnitus guinea pigs, indicating reductions of tinnitus behavioral manifestations. Meanwhile, the EES reversed the abnormal auditory-somatosensory innervation in the cochlear nucleus of tinnitus animals but did not change the hearing and the numbers of inner hair cell synapses.

Conclusions
      This study demonstrated that the novel EES strategy could effectively relieve tinnitus without impairment to hearing and cochlear structure of tinnitus animals. The reversal of tinnitus-related auditory-somatosensory plasticity in the cochlear nucleus was correlated with the tinnitus relief induced by the EES.

Next steps Phase 1 and 2. More and more treatment routes are popping up everyday. I'm confident it is not a matter of decades but a matter of years until we get out of this trouble.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 8
      • Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      It's really encouraging to see all these new papers and techniques popping up almost every day! The problem is that no one seems to get it a step further. There is a lot of research over the years about herbs, drugs, simulation methods etc etc, that they conclude "this method relieves tinnitus symptoms", but ok... what's next?

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 2
    3. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If something works for animals, it doesn’t mean it works for humans. This is the problem.

I don’t know about apes, but mice trials fail in humans every time.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      poss ototoxicity/unknown/BVVP diagnosed first then tinnitus
      • Informative Informative x 3
    5. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      They are already doing this study in humans though.

• Like Like x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. addot

addot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      For anyone who's missed it, here's the podcast episode that features this discussion. I gave the episode a pass at first as I find accounts of tinnitus sufferers very distressing (and I'm in a rough patch with my T and H myself now). But if you want to hear Hamid Djalilian describe his research in more conversational terms, it might be worth a listen.

I wonder what exactly is novel about this new study, as it seems to use the same overall approach as Dr. Djalilian. They even cite Dr. Djalilian's study, so I imagine the answer to my question is somewhere in there, but I don't have access to the full study...

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Jerad

Jerad Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      I think part of the reason they don't develop further is lack of funding. If the government were to take a determined, pragmatic approach to finding a treatment or cure, where limitations or financial roadblocks weren’t our adversaries, we'd have one pretty quickly, I think, especially considering all the optimistic results we see in various studies that pop-up. But they often sit in limbo and don’t develop further.

It’s like trying to make a Hollywood movie without the backing of a major studio. It can be written, casted, and you can start shooting the scenes, but if funding dries up halfway through, you’re going to be shelving it. Without the studio to back it, the movie isn’t going to be made or ever released.

A lot of these pioneers who want to cure tinnitus and hyperacusis are like artists who dream of making their mark, but without a big studio to back them. They may have the best movie or song ever written in their hands, but it ain’t going nowhere without that studio. It’s all about priorities and tinnitus/hyperacusis are not high enough on the list for the government, unfortunately. Given that there are no great treatments for either, it should be the opposite. Many other illnesses or disorders have at least something to work with.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    8. MaxRabbit

MaxRabbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zoloft, NOISE, Anxiety, EARBUDS.
      Hello.

I see this doctor next month. I'm new to this forum and new to his research. I have not been examined yet and I have no idea what I have beyond the multi rings/tones, high-squeals and ears cracking at sound, is it hearing loss, middle ear myoclonus, hyperacusis, etc?

Does anyone here have any tips or advice for seeing him and getting to be a part of his clinical trials?

Thank you.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      You have tinnitus and hyperacusis. That'll be $275 please...

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    10. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Stayinghopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened with COVID-19 / Anesthesia
      I think most people would even settle for a 25% - 50% reduction of their tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 5
    11. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      poss ototoxicity/unknown/BVVP diagnosed first then tinnitus
      I was in another clinical trial. Just go to this page and call or email them. That's how I contacted mine and did a phone interview first.

Go here to the bottom of the page for the phone numbers and email:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03511807

• Like Like x 3