Vitamin Supplement (Nicotinamide Riboside) Successfully Prevents Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by exodus, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Kste Adams
      Studious

Kste Adams Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      I take 250 mg. per day, divided into 125 mg. in the morning and again in the evening. My hearing has continued to improve. It started with very faint sounds, and now I estimate that my hearing is about 50% of normal after about 10 months of taking NR. Unfortunately I haven't noticed any improvement to my tinnitus, but I'm still hopeful that eventually my brain will react to the changes.

NR is pretty amazing. It has also dramatically reduced the frequency of my migraines, and the auras are pretty much gone. It also eliminated some minor nerve pain as well as pre-cancerous lesions on my skin. I'm giving NR to a pet parrot that has had fatty liver disease all her life, and it appears to be reversing that as well.

Disclaimer: I was so impressed that I bought shares of the company that owns the patent on the NR that is being sold commercially. :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I started taking this a couple of weeks ago and, whilst it's very early days, I feel it is helping me with T and H. I don't know how to explain it. Lower T (not just perception), less spike days that's for sure and quite often dramatically less H. It could just be coincidence and I might just be moving into a different phase. I definitely have more calm energy and mental focus. So maybe that has helped me cope better.
      On the downside, my annoying issues with my tensor tympani muscles are unchanged. I get TTTS that escalates into full contraction in one ear that can last days. But I now feel better able to cope with them and can almost ignore it until the muscles chill spontaneously.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      I don't want to be rude, but are you really 100% sure that this supplement is improving your hearing? best

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Kste Adams
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      Yes, confirmed by audiograms. I started taking NR last year after reading reports that it protected mice from noise-induced hearing loss. My hearing was damaged by a car backfiring while I walked past it, it sounded like a gun shot. This happened over 30 years ago, and my hearing was still damaged (complete loss of a small range of frequencies in my right ear) until I began taking NR. I suppose you could always claim that it was an "act of God" or spontaneous healing, but that's unlikely after 30 years - hearing damage just doesn't behave that way, to the best of our knowledge.

I know that there are a lot of "miracle cures" floating around on the internet, but this appears to be the real deal with solid science behind it. There is a lot of work going on right now with NAD metabolism. NR is one NAD precursor. Dr. David Sinclair works with NMN, another NAD precursor, that appears to have similar benefits to NR. Very exciting stuff.

On the other hand, NR hasn't done anything for my tinnitus, which is disappointing. But what can you do besides staying hopeful?

• Like Like x 2
    5. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      Thank you for informing me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It definitely does something.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. SuntoryTime
      Caffeine

SuntoryTime Member

Your posts on this subject have piqued my curiosity enough to order a bottle. My refrigerator is full of pills (everything from NAC to magnolia bark to Chinese skullcap (GABA enhancers; I have sleep problems like many tinnitus sufferers), and I've repeatedly thought that my supplement-collecting days were over (many pills, no results). But you've convinced me to spring for a couple of months' supply. Are we allowed to mention brand names on this site? I'm new here (first post) and didn't notice any specific prohibition regarding mentioning products by name.

I want to duplicate your experiment precisely. I looked over your posts again and didn't notice a brand name, though I did see that you bought it on Amazon. What kind are you taking? I want to order the same kind.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Kste Adams
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      All of the NR is produced by a single company (ChromaDex). ChromaDex sells the product to other companies such as LifeExtension or HPN, but they also sell it under their own brand name TruNiagen. I started with HPN brand, now taking TruNiagen. The only difference between them should be the filler they use; otherwise you should be getting the same thing. I didn't notice any difference when I was taking them.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    9. SuntoryTime
      Caffeine

SuntoryTime Member

Thanks for your reply, Kste Adams. I've got some on the way.

My question for Gman is, are you taking the same daily dose that Kste Adams is taking?

You said, "...quite often dramatically less H." That's what made me sit up and notice this thread, after a year or more of only following the FrequencyTx thread. Tinnitus hasn't caused a withdrawal from life for me so much as hyperacusis has. My tinnitus is loud, yes, but hyperacusis is pure torture, and the worse of the two conditions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @SuntoryTime
      You need an @ before someone’s name for them to see it.
      I take 250mg most days, sometimes 125mg.
      Things started improving for me after I started taking it. I hadn’t started any new supplements.

• Like Like x 1
    11. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      @Gman - I've been on this for a couple of weeks now and something positive appears to be going on here too. Since starting NR, most days the tinnitus noise has been relatively low in volume the entire day. Ironically my randomly experienced TTTS issues have decreased considerably since I started. Have to add, today has been the quietest day since I got hit with tinnitus 6 months ago. Ever so slight hiss today.

I had planned to wait a month to measure any gains before I posted here, but the tinnitus is so low today I figured it was best to share with the community. Bought on Amazon: HPN Nutraceuticals Niagen Nicotinamide Riboside

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's great to hear @housemzk! That's the one I use too.

• Like Like x 2
    13. K_Cbus

K_Cbus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11-13-2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acute acoustic trauma
      Had 105-110 dB noise in my ear the other day and the T is killing me. Have some dampening as well.

Just ordered some NR and will be starting it. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Interesting. This is related to B3 aka niacin and the nasty name nicotine for niacin in tobacco. Tobacco once was a very important medicinal plant and smoked by many who have chronic heavy metal poisoning (usually diagnosed as a mental illness who are "self-medicating"). Tinnitus, no 1 symptom of heavy metal poisoning!

15. Kste Adams
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      Even though the names are similar, nicotinamide is not related to nicotine in tobacco and the two substances have very different effects on the body:
      https://www.livestrong.com/article/481405-niacin-nicotine/

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Please check your facts against scientific chemistry as opposed to propaganda from medical literature.

Nicotinamide is the oxidized form of niacin. Niacin or B3 is nicotine and is derived from nicotinic acid. Once metabolized with an enzyme it takes on an oxygen molecule and becomes nicotinamide. When nicotine as niacin is called in tobacco smoking, is directly burned it also takes on an oxygen molecule. This process leads to glucuronidation. (see below) It was thought for some time that smokers bodies became depleted of the enzyme in the gut that converts niacin or nicotine (unburned) to the readily available nicotinaminde--the converted form of niacin.

And, no, I am not advocating smoking. But tobacco as well as other plants from the nightshade family contain healing amounts of niacin- nicotine when referring to tobacco, niacin when talking tomatoes, peppers or eggplants. The chemical plays a role in gut function that is often depleted in those with chronic heavy metal poisoning which is why the plant was used in long ago times to heal those who burned cinnabar to attain mercury and used mercury to chemically smelt for precious metals-- as in "native" Americans.

The body uses glucuronidation and cotinine (what nicotine that is oxidized is called) to cause toxins to become water-soluble, such that they can be eliminated from urine, feces and sweat. This is likely the most significant part of the smoking addiction. This is why those with heavy metal poison (from vaccines, latex paint, dental work, wheat grown in contaminated fields from mercury fungicide treated seeds) self medicate with cigarettes. Doctors who have condemned smokers for decades as cooks are now looking to treat other mercury caused diseases with cotinine. Those mercury proven related disease are depression, PTSD, anxiety, Schitzophrenia, ALS, MS, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. (And, these are diseases on our horizon, suffering with the number 1 symptom of chronic heavy metal toxicity if detox doesn't pan out.)

17. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can honestly say that this is the only supplement that I have noticed any effect and has been extremely helpful to me. It’s subtle effect gives me a calm energy and more mental focus. I strongly believe it has calmed my emotional state and that has helped to take my system (auditory included) off of a state of high alert. The results have been a steady improvement in hyperacusis and stabilising of T to a level that can often be not far off of when it started, which was low. Even spikes kind of feel more distant and not as bothersome.

Maybe it is just a coinicidence but it started happening to me not long after starting it and it’s been 1.5years of struggle - of not being able to habituate. It is definitely not a cure and I’m not implying that I think it’s going to work for everyone because we all have different situations.

• Like Like x 5
      • Useful Useful x 1
    18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What is the name of the manufacturer of the pills that you found to be helpful?

19. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer this one. But according to @Kste Adams in an earlier post on this thread, NR is made by a single manufacturer, so probably shouldn’t make a difference which one you get.

• Like Like x 2
    20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I will try it!

• Like Like x 3
    21. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When I used to walk into a small quiet room or even sit in the car with engine off, I would hear my T (duh obviously), but would also experience a strange kind of pressure that made my T feel broader/roomier or something. I can't really explain it, but it was unpleasant. Not sure if others experience this kind of thing. But since taking NR I don't really get the same feeling. I still of course hear my T but don't feel that pressure and my T feels less dimensional/flatter.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    22. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      I have the same experience. It's not that I just hear it. I can "feel" my T. Not pleasant at all.

I have ordered some NR now so I hope I get some results from it.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I started Sunday with NR from Life Extension, however it seems like my standard Tinnitus is more noticable troughout the day in quiet environments. Also i had yesterday again a bit of sound sensitivity. Since i had a 6h plane flight friday night and noticed a minor spike saturday morning i don´t know if it is because of that or the NR.

I´m taking 2x100mg a day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It’s a bit early for NR to be having an effect. I would say it’s the flight. I’d be giving it a couple of weeks at least to start noticing anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I began taking it today.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    26. Ear Drummer
      Heartbroken

Ear Drummer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2003
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drummer/Lack of REM sleep/Bruxism|TMJ(?)
      Started taking Life Extension's version on Monday. Felt that something positive happened both Monday and yesterday many hours after taking it. Perhaps it was just a placebo effect though. Intensity, pitch, and volume of Tinnitus seemed lower and my hearing seemed clearer than usual and my sleep seemed to be better. Not as much of an effect today. Looking forward to long term benefits.

• Like Like x 5
    27. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I think NR has been helping me. After years of improvement, I had a bad spike about a month ago due to noise exposure from a passing garbage truck. I've been hitting the supplements hard, so much that it's worth a new post. But I've found some interesting info on NR that is worth posting. First, I'm stacking my NR with Lion's Mane Mushroom. I discovered this from Ben Greenfield, a noted biohacker and podcaster. Second, I'm switching from Thorne NR to TruNiagen NR because I want the best. Dr. Brenner, who discovered NR, is the founder of TruNiagen.
      Here is a great interview with Dr. Brenner if you want to learn more about NR. FYI, there is no mention of T but the mice study about NR and NIHL is mentioned @ 21:50.

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/po...brenner&utm_content=&utm_campaign=bgf-podcast

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Without posting your audiograms, can provide some details as to how your hearing has improved? What frequencies? How many dBs of improvement? Thank you.

29. Kste Adams
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      I had an audiogram in late 2013 that showed a complete loss of hearing at 7500 MHz in my right ear. (This was a surprise since I hadn't noticed anything wrong - the left ear is fine.) Afterwards I played around on my home computer, and my right ear could hear nothing in the range of around 7100 - 7600 MHz.

Fast forward to August of last year when I started taking NR. Within a month I could hear very faint sounds in the target range, but they would come and go and I had to put my ear close to the speaker. Since then I've tested myself periodically, and the sounds are getting louder and steadier. I estimate that my hearing is about 50% restored; it's nowhere near normal yet, but it's good enough that a hearing aid would probably be helpful. When I think the improvement has stabilized, I'll go back to the doctor for a new audiogram.

Unfortunately the NR hasn't yet made any noticeable improvement in my tinnitus. I probably ought to play audio files in the target range for an hour or so each day so that my brain realizes that something has changed.

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    30. Fune
      Transparent

Fune Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      to much of percussions, drums and electronic music i guess!
      hi everyone, i wil recieve two bottles of NR tomorrow,
      I'm in a spike right now since a week probably because of noise exposure and stress,
      let's give it a try!

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1