Vitamin Supplement (Nicotinamide Riboside) Successfully Prevents Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by exodus, Dec 2, 2014.

1. I have been taking B3 for a few weeks now, and it DID NOT spike me, (it can) if it does, it stops right away. I have now moved on to the more expensive (about £1 a pill) to Nicotinamide Riboside NAD+ cell regenerator (that is one up from B3). It is proven to help with some noise induced hearing loss, that Neuromodulation would not work with. I have woken up to almost silence this morning :)

• Like Like x 5
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      What dose are you taking of nad?

3. mintblue
      Supportive

mintblue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      So I've nearly finished the bottle and I'm gonna go ahead and say the results are "inconclusive." For the first two weeks I'd say there was a noticeable improvement, specifically to noise thresholds and the volume of tinnitus. Today I came down with a head cold and it's a bit worse than usual though I must say it feels significantly less intrusive.

Another benefit I've noticed from Nicotinamide Riboside: Improved cognitive acuity. I'm much quicker in conversations and seem to grasp new concepts a lot faster than usual. Though this could be placebo affect, same goes for the Tinnitus difference.

I'm going to up my dose to 500 MG/day and see if there's a difference for the last few days here. Then I have to take a break before considering starting it again.

I say try it if you think it could help!

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Thanks for the info @mintblue I am only on 100mg once a day I might go up to 200mg today. Did you have a side effect at all? Thanks :) FTR I am partially deaf anyway and I have an aid in my left ear. I use Neuromodulation in my right ear

• Like Like x 1
    5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thank you for the update.

I've ordered some.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Tom Verbeeck
      Badass

Tom Verbeeck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/08/2014
      Does anyone knows if this is maybe working for the T ? I got the T since september, it is very static.. I did some tests in the hospital and they didn't found out what was going on.. Does anyone know if their is any chance it goes away or is it permanent after 3 months? I'am new here and don't know much about the T, so if anyone can update me a little bit!

Thanks you guys.

Btw, much love and respect for this page. I'am from Belgium and here isn't much information about the T.

7. mat

mat Member

it is said it will help vs hearing loss, but not tinnitus? so?

8. I had a day of almost total silence yesterday (nice xmas bonus) the day before I went up to 2x1 100mg one morning one at night. But this may just be a coincidence but I have a bad vertigo attack this morning. I have not read this can be a side effect. I will keep you updated.

• Informative Informative x 3
    9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @NeverLoseHope do you mind me asking you what your onset of t was caused by?

also, do you often experience near silence episodes ?

do you have pre-existing vertigo?

would you elaborate on your neuromodulation technique please

• Genius Genius x 1
    10. I have always put it down to stress, as it started after a stressful few months in my life that now thankfully is a very healthy, happy, clever 11 year old, against all the odds. But is may also be down the fact I used to go clubbing 4 night or more a week. I have had vertigo on and off for about 5 years about twice a year on average. But I have never had silent days until I started Neuromodulation treatment about 6 weeks ago. I will make a new put on that thread now :thankyousign:

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      yes I think stress is a huge factor in developing t..

didn't quite understand the bit about the 'clever 11 year old'? maybe im being daft.......

I am sorry you suffer with vertigo. must be an awful symptom to have to deal with.

yes I would love to read your thread on neuromodulation. thanks :)

12. My 11 year old son died at birth very premature, but after months in hospital he came home only to get scolded skin syndrome. Do not Google images if you have a week nature!! We had counselling to say he would have learning problems, try telling his teacher that one and she laughs, as he is top of his class in everything :) See this thread on Neuromodulation I am giving an MP3 download away for FREE https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acoustic-cr®-neuromodulation-do-it-yourself-guide.1469/page-16 :welcomesignanimation:

13. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I am so sorry to hear about your sons ordeal.

I actually work in the health care industry, but have never heard of scolded skin syndrome.

and thanks for posting the info on neuromodulation. much appreciated. is this the same as notched sound therapy such as that which is offered at www.audionotch.com

14. Yes but this is FREE :) SSS medical name is Staphylococcal, a lot of the baby photos are of him on Google as his case was so bad, he is also in medical journals @DebInAustralia

15. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I have read that NR can prevent noise induced hearing loss.

Does anyone know of a source that quotes at which dose this effect occurs, and how soon after noise exposure this supplement has been shown to be effective?

thanks
      deb

16. Mosaik
      Balanced

Mosaik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music at my school
      I have been taking NR for the past month, 100mg/day. I think it makes a difference but it's not significant, at least not at this dose. In the next month I will be taking the same total amount but not evenly ditributed and see if that has a better effect.

Others who are taking this, please post updates!
      Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    18. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I have been taking it for over a year
      Hasn't regenerated my hair cells as far as i know
      It may help slow down damage or aging maybe who knows - I'm just a sucker for supplements anyway my fridge is full of pills

• Like Like x 1
    19. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      What effects did it have for you? Any bad side effects? Any increase or decrease in your T?

20. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      no effect
      took 200mg a day
      maybe we need more ?

• Like Like x 1
    21. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

Any comments???

• Like Like x 2
    22. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      After Googling to find out what it was :) I wonder if the tinnitus was a symptom of stress, anxiety or depression? These are on the list of treatment goals.

However I did see this on a site: "Neurotransmitter: Although more research still needs to be conducted, in some instances, NAD+ meets the pre- and postsynaptic criteria for a neurotransmitter. NAD+ is released from smooth muscle, neurosecretory cells, and brain synaptosomes for cell-to-cell communication."

EDIT:
      Are fluoroquinolone part of the same family as quinine?

23. NatureHiker
      Angelic

NatureHiker Member

Recent Research from the University of Rochester Medical Center talked about nicotinamide riboside

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41...KuoOF0yyC6omOwH15J3m0sOaejHWwgP6wV3QtY6SKgQ==

They discovered a gene foxo3 that is necessary in hearing loss prevention and regeneration. More research. More hope.

• Informative Informative x 2
    24. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
    25. Amiel

Amiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. Kste Adams
      Studious

Kste Adams Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      In late August I began taking this supplement. Experiments in mice show that it can prevent and even reverse noise induced hearing loss. According to my 2014 audiogram, I have some minor hearing loss in the range of 750 - 2000 Hz, and almost total loss at 750 Hz in the right ear only. This probably resulted from a car back firing as I walked past it, although it happened over 30 years ago, long before tinnitus set in. At about 4000 Hz my hearing begins to improve again, so it's not the typical pattern of age-related hearing loss. An on-line screening test for hidden hearing loss came back at "86%: Probably No Hidden Hearing Loss, Probably Would Not Benefit from Hearing Aids". I haven't noticed any problems hearing people in noisy environments, so I'm not planning to test this further.

About Nicotinamide Riboside (NR)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24071780

NR is related to vitamin B3 and is a precursor to nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+). All of our cells depend on NAD+ for their metabolic processes. Levels of NAD+ decline as we age, making it a reasonable target for supplementation in older adults. Studies in animals have shown that ingesting NR boosts NAD+ levels, and study results have been promising enough that human trials are now underway.

In the US, the FDA classifies NR as a food supplement. This means NR is available over the counter (without doctor's prescription) although it's not yet widely available and it's not particularly cheap. I purchase mine from Amazon.

Results After Six Weeks

I test my hearing on my computer, and while the equipment is not professional quality, the results closely follow the results from the audiogram.

I was skeptical when I started taking NR, but I am happy to report that I am actually able to hear 750 Hz sounds again in my right year. And I saw results fast. After 3 weeks, with the volume set at a comfortable level, I could hear faint sounds if I put my ear near the computer's speaker. After 6 weeks the sounds were louder and I didn't have to lean over the speaker, although it helped to turn my head in that direction.

My hearing is definitely not back to normal yet, but just the fact that my right ear can pick up anything at 750 Hz is amazing. As I said, I was skeptical at the start, and I won't 100% believe it until an audiogram confirms my results, but right now I'd say that NR is the real deal and I plan to keep taking it.

But What About Tinnitus?

Unfortunately I can't report any improvement in my tinnitus. If anything it got a bit louder, but I was actually expecting that: my hyperactive neurons are receiving increased input from real sounds, so I think it's reasonable that they would react. Another thing that occurred was a noticeable increase in the frequency of my intermittent tinnitus that started a few days after beginning NR supplementation; this settled back down after a couple days.

Clearly my tinnitus is reacting to the NR, or rather to the increased levels of NAD+. Since NAD+ is reported to be neuro protective, I am hoping that my tinnitus will start to fade eventually. I'm prepared to wait: it took a long time for it to become chronic, and I would expect it to take a long time for the changes to reverse themselves.

Disclaimers

I'm not a medical professional, nor do I play one on TV. :) I am not giving anyone advice, simply reporting on my experience so far.

NR is a fairly recent discovery. So far it appears to be safe with side effects reported only at very high doses, but we have no idea what long-term supplementation will do. Among other things, NAD+ supports DNA repair, and some researchers have raised concerns that boosting our levels may also boost the DNA repair of cancer cells. Others have speculated taking NR long-term may cause the body to stop producing its own NAD+ altogether, which would be a bad thing. Those of us who take it are "lab animals" in our own experiments, and we don't know the eventual outcome.

As mentioned earlier, the people most likely to benefit from NR are older adults. However, the animal experiments related to noise-induced hearing loss didn't confine themselves to older mice (to the best of my knowledge), so I would still have tried NR even if I were only in my 20s.

So for now I'm living in hope and keeping my eye on the latest research. I would be very interested to hear if others are experimenting with NR and what their experience has been.

27. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What kind of loss do you have? (sensorineural? conductive? mixed?)

28. Kste Adams
      Studious

Kste Adams Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      Not sure, although I'd guess sensorineural only. I just uploaded my audiogram, hope you can make more sense of it than I can. The only thing I really see is that my ears are pretty evenly matched (except for the right ear at 750 Hz), and air and bone conduction match closely.

All of my (admittedly minor) health issues are neurological and all started roughly around the same time as the tinnitus. So I would say that my tinnitus is in my head rather than in my ears.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    29. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That's what it looks like on the audiogram indeed, if I'm reading it correctly.

30. Meso82
      Studious

Meso82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Very interesting! What dosage did you take? Do you notice further improvements until now?

• Good Question Good Question x 1