Vitamin Supplement (Nicotinamide Riboside) Successfully Prevents Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by exodus, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I read in the PDF that was posted by @Bill Bauer on another thread, that amino nicotinamide is associated with tinnitus
      But does anyone know if that is related to nicotinamide riboside? We know NR’s a precursor to NAD+ which has been shown to be otoprotective/neuroprotective.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25419212/
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25470550/?i=2&from=nicotinamide riboside hearing

• Like Like x 2
    2. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hi,
      I read the PDF and didn't see nicotinamide listed. I'm not sure why you are calling it an amino acid. There are three forms of B3: niacin, nicotinamide (niacinamide), and nicotinamide riboside. Only NR can boost NAD from what I understand. Listen to the podcast from my post above.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It says amino nicotinamide - I’m not calling it anything other that what I read. I don’t know why it’s there. Anyway, I take NR and know it boosts NAD, so hoping it’s not related. That is all.

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Any vitamin, supplement or herb can cause an overall health problem. Knowing your conditions before taking anything should be considered. Check side effects. The body needs vitamins and they are best obtained thru foods. Certain vitamins may help those with condition factors associated with tinnitus. Most vitamins need to be taken with other vitamins. A certain vitamin can block or deplete another vitamin so that vitamin should be taken as well.

http://www.naturecures.co.uk/a-zhealthhazards.htm

• Like Like x 1
    5. SoundB0und
      Balanced

SoundB0und Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      I have taken 7 doses of this, not in succession but within the last 10 days(because I got side-effects), mostly in 100mg range. It definitely has an effect on my T and I suspect even a bigger effect on my ability to hear.

I have not had an audiogram in 6 months but this coupled with almost 3 months of LLLT has had a significant impact. Why I feel my hearing has improved a lot is because prior to starting NR I had a much harder time hearing music at the lowest setting on my phone(I tried playing the same videos I listened to right before starting NR).

And also music sounds richer and more enjoyable, guess because the frequencies I could not hear well are healing.

When I first started it I thought the T might have gotten louder but I think it was similar to what was happening with the laser, higher frequencies were "waking up" and the T wasn't louder just higher frequency. I might be wrong though.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

What side effects you got?

7. SoundB0und
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      I got somewhat manic, which is known to happen with B3 in general and not just NR. I have mental health issues, most people wouldn't get this sideeffect.

I was taking Niacin with another supplement, it was in it, which I've quit now, that's why I'm better. And also I've lowered the dose of NR a bit.

It also might be exacerbating my TMJ issues but I'm not sure about that yet, though I have read about that happening to other people as well.

8. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      Is anyone taking NR with NAC? Are there any reported interactions between them?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've been taking NAC for the last eight years and NR over the last three months. I'm having a minor side effect of a dry mouth and the inside of my lips feel swollen. I would think this is related to just the NR and not combining them.

• Like Like x 2
    10. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      Thanks. Have you had any improvement in either the hearing or tinnitus realm?

11. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Yes. My tinnitus is much lower. I think my hearing is better but I won't know until my next audio test. NAC alone never did much for my T but it was worth taking as a protectant. My protocol changes quickly as I'm always looking for the magical "stack." This was something I was planning on a new post for but here you go. Last week was I changed out NAC for L-Methionine which I take with NR and Lion's Mane mushroom. This seemed to lower my tinnitus another notch.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      Interesting. I would be curious to know how your hearing has fared. I started taking NAC (1200-1800mg/day) about 2.5 months ago and can't say I noticed any improvement so I've decided to stop taking it. A full-range hearing test yesterday confirmed that I have mild high-freq hearing loss in my right ear and so I am more interested in improving high-frequency hearing than lessening tinnitus or hyperacusis at this point (if that's even possible).

• Like Like x 1
    13. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I would trade improve hearing over T as well. My hearing loss is also in one ear. I'm due for a hearing test but honestly, I hate going. You can only get bad news. Either you still have hearing loss or it's worse. Last time I went I didn't even ask the doc for the results. I figured he would say something if it was worse. Will I feel better going now after taking NR? Maybe.

• Like Like x 2
    14. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      Understood! What amount of NAC have you been taking by the way?

15. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I take one 600mg capsule daily. Always in the morning on an empty stomach. I never tried to go much higher but NAC is very well tolerated from my standpoint.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I take 600mg of nac a few times a week and only take NR now occasionally or when Ive been exposed to loud sound that I’m not sure about. No issues that I’ve noticed.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma/metronidazole+kanamycin
      What about NADH sublingual, is it equivalent to NR?
      Thanks.

18. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acustic trauma, neuro-lyme/rx co-op toxins
      https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2014014828A1/en

I will try this definitely.
      Look at the table.
      The whole article is amazing.

I wonder what is therapeutic window for treatment for lost spiral ganglia neurities.

Maybe using this with NT3, BDNF, IGF-1 or other neuro growth factors will regenerate synapses. It seems that these two things (synapses, spiral ganglia cells) can't survive alone.

"As expected, in noise-treated animals the spiral ganglia neurites were retracted from inner hair cells by 29.5 ± 12.9 μιη 24 hr following noise exposure. The neurites remained retracted (23 ± 3.6 μιη) 14 d after noise exposure. The persistent retraction indicates a permanent loss of synaptic connectivity between hair cells and spiral ganglia neurites in vehicle-treated animals after noise exposure."​

I think that common mechanism is (in case not being killed immediately by sound waves) - first retraction of hair cells from ganglia neurites. Then synapses dies off, then hair cells die or become permanently (for now) broken.

Q7O5g.png

Thanks @vttbx.

• Useful Useful x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    19. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      If you have taken this and seen positive/negative or neutral results please post back and let us know. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    20. Otana
      No Mood

Otana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I took 250 mg per day for about three weeks. Didn't notice much effect on anything, except that it made me feel slightly nauseous. The real benefit is supposedly its neuro-protective qualities in the event of a dangerous noise exposure, not an improvement in tinnitus.

21. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Why does this happen with B3?

22. SoundB0und
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      Not sure but I have read case reports of mania with B3 even in neurotypical people. I quit NR shortly after making that post. It's activating. I think I used 7 doses in a row and 10 total.

In additiom to TMJ issues I had very sensitive teeth that have gotten only slightly better unfortunately. Also I was getting bad twitches all over my body.

Something that has happened to me with other supplements as well, ever since it happened to me with piracetam years ago. That has luckily completely subsided.

The sensitive teeth, mania and TMJ issues I've heard being described by other people using NR, the twitches not.

I tend to get extreme side-effects with medication and supplements, I'm very sensitive. The good thing is they often have a good effect too, so did NR. Unfortunately I can't take it anymore.

It's not a huge deal because the laser I'm using is having a great effect on my T. Without side-effects.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
      • Informative Informative x 1
    23. Kste Adams
      Studious

Kste Adams Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      I've been taking NR for about 15 months now. Had complete hearing loss in a small range of frequencies in one ear - a car backfired as I walked past it many years ago. After a month of taking NR, I started to hear very faint sounds in the lost frequencies, and the sounds have steadily gotten louder - they're about the same in both ears now. One weird thing: I have to turn my head in the direction of the sound, otherwise I still can't hear it. This probably says something about what kind of damage I have.

I take 250-300 mg per day of NR. The only side effects I've noticed are a bit of an irregular heartbeat and dry eyes, and I'm bothered by a lot of stuff. Positive changes: mental clarity, more physical energy, can run short distances without my knees complaining, pre-cancerous skin changes have cleared up, and my blood pressure is lower (90/48 at my last visit to the doctor). I think my hearing in general is better, everyday sounds seem louder. Not much change to my tinnitus, though - :grumpy:.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      What laser are you using?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    25. SoundB0und
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
    26. The Frenchie
      Insomnious

The Frenchie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013, worsened 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Maybe ETD
      Is this possible for me to know the version of SIRT3 genes that I carry? If it's possible, would I have to pay 10k? 5k?
      SmartSelect_20181112-015041_Gallery.jpg

27. The Frenchie
      Insomnious

The Frenchie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013, worsened 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Screenshot_20181112-015819_Chrome.jpg Is chromosome 11 in human body similar to chromosome 7 in a mouse? SIRT3 in human body is in the chromosome 11.
      NR is kinda proven to work on a mouse, so with chromosome 7, not 11. Because SIRT3 in mice is in #7.

???

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    28. The Frenchie
      Insomnious

The Frenchie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013, worsened 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 2
    29. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      • Like Like x 2
    30. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm still a big fan of NR and take it daily. But I'm going to try the "other" NAD pre-cursor called Nicotinamide Mononucleotide (NMN). I was doing some research and found a podcast with Dr. David Sinclair. He said when NR is taken orally, it's converted to NMN and then to NAD. But if you take NMN, it's a direct conversion to NAD. Unfortunately, unlike NR, NMN has no clinical studies on improving T or hearing.

• Like Like x 4