Which Books Do You Read? What Is Your Favourite Book?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lyra Belacqua, May 18, 2017.

1. Lyra Belacqua
      Creative

Lyra Belacqua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Good evening everyone :)

I haven't seen any threads discussing literature so I thought I would start one :) Are there any bookworms in here? If yes, what do you like to read (which genre, favourite authors...)?

Personally, I really do like Fantasy, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and so on, but I am also a fan of classic literature and from time to time I do enjoy some poetry :)

Have a great day!! :)

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Lyra Belacqua
      I think you've started great thread. I was unable to read for two years due to severe tinnitus. From 2008 to 2010. The crime writer Peter James, helped to put my life back on track when I purchased one of his books just by chance. His writing is incredibly vivid and so realistic I feel I'm part of the story when reading his books. Only a few authors have had this effect on me. If you haven't read any of his work then please try to and you'll see what I mean. Start with the Roy Grace series about a Police detective in Brighton, England. It so happens his 13th book in the series: Need You Dead, has been published today.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    3. Connie3140

Connie3140 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss
      Hi Lyra,

I don't read much fiction -- mostly nonfiction, especially memoirs and autobiography. I especially like memoirs by doctors. My all time favorite book is My Own Country: A Doctor's Story, by Abraham Verghese. His parents were Indian, but he was born in Ethiopia, where his parents were teachers. He became a doctor in the US in the 1980s, specializing in infectious diseases. He ended up as a doctor in rural Tennessee, right at the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. The book talks about his caring for patients, the Indian community and the AIDS epidemic. He is a very compassionate, caring doctor and a great writer.

Connie

4. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      I love memoirs, especially rock and roll, political, or extreme lifestyle ones. Mostly because, I and most of the populace will never life that kind of celebrity or high octane life so the stories involved I find fascinating. The most entertaining one I've ever read was called Sinner Takes All by an adult film actress named Tera Patrick. It was surprisingly well written and got a lot of emotions out of me (humor, frustration, sympathy, etc.), and no spoilers, the ending is surprisingly balanced between uplifting and depressing.

I also recommend a book called The Girl With Seven Names by Hyeonseo Lee. She's a North Korean defector and that book is her story. It's almost like reading a real life version of the Hunger Games and kept me on the edge of my seat reading the entire time. Talk about a page turner, what a story!

• Like Like x 1
    5. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems
      Fantasy!! Urban Fantasy is my most fave as I got bored with just High/epic fantasy years ago. I used Harry Potter to reintroduce myself to reading. I'm still having issues with reading and my T, but pushing on.

I just read Geekerella by Ashly Poston. It's not my normal genre, but I couldn't resist the fangirl stuff. Currently reading Shadow Run by AdriAnne Strickland, loving all the sci-fi elements so far. Especially the humor.

I've been meaning to read some classics. I found a beautiful copy of Gone With the Wind and have been flirting with the idea of starting it.

6. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems
      Oh, and I never a pick favorite book.

Danielle says it best:
      "I could no sooner choose a favorite star in the heavens."

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      I am so glad you posted this thread. My all-time favourite is Wuthering Heights by Emily brönte and works by Kate Chopin, whose silky and sensuous writing style I enjoy.

The books I'm currently re-reading is Uncle Tom's Cabin and The Scarlet Letter. After I finish these, I'm going to read The Portrait of a Lady, Atlas Shrugged, and The Crime and Punishment.

I'm a bit sad that the papers publishers use has gone eye-comforting brown to penetrating grey, mostly. It's not comfortable to the eye.

8. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      I like the James Patterson novels the Alex Cross series there like 27 books in it