Which Books Do You Read? What Is Your Favourite Book?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lyra Belacqua, May 18, 2017.

1. Gareth Davies
      Dreaming

Gareth Davies Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection & ETD
      Guns, Germs and Steel is a pretty interesting read and overall interpretation of why global history on a macro-scale turned out how it did.

The Gormenghast Trilogy is also a compelling, visually rich world to dive into, if slightly dry to read.

And a pinch of Stoic essays here and there.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Rosco99

Rosco99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss
      Same. Two of my favorite things: music & books... down the crapper! I’ve also always loved audiobooks but I haven’t even wanted to do that lately.

3. Rosco99

Rosco99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss
      Good list. Haven’t read them all but I hope to someday!

• Like Like x 1
    4. ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + Motorbike
      Hey,

Currently reading:

-Lord of the Flies... Never read it at school. Not really getting into it.

-Exoskeleton series

-Hal Spacejock series

-Just finished Five Chimneys... Very Interesting read from an Auschwitz survivor.

I don't really have a particular genre... Generally see books advertised on Facebook and give them a go. Kindle has been a blessing.

Shaun.

• Like Like x 1
    5. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      Book recommendation:

If you haven't seen the movie or read the book, "Catch Me If You Can" is a great read.
      It's the true story of Frank Abagnale Jr., one of the greatest con artists in history.
      He impersonates a: copilot, doctor, lawyer, sociology professor, FBI agent, and U.S. Bureau of Prisons agent.
      A good read!

• Like Like x 1
    6. Ava Lugo
      Irritated

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Does music sound distorted to you now? It does to me :(

7. Rosco99

Rosco99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss
      Somewhat, yes. Although I have only listened at low volumes lately. I’m generally in a grumpy mood the last 7-8 months because of the ringing so music isn’t giving me what my soul needs right now :confused:

8. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      I have a hard time, too, when it comes to reading or doing things that need a certain amount of quiet and it really makes me sad, because reading and writing have been two of my most treasured pastimes.

I really like "A Brief History of Humankind" and "A Brief History of Tomorrow" by Prof. Yuval Noah Harari.

I bought the books because I wanted to learn a little bit more about history but was in for quite a surprise because instead of isolates events and dates I got an amazing overview of how we got to where we are today and where, possibly, we are going form there and how it is all connected. Prof. Harari has the amazing ability to not just brush on a thought but think it through to the very end.

I also love the "Ender's" series (not so much the movie they made from the first book) by Orson Scott Card.

I got the whole e-book bundle when it was on special without knowing what it was about (I missed the movie when it came out) and immediately loved the author's slow but precise way of storytelling and how he manages to connect his books even though there are thousands of years in between the individual stories he tells.

9. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      A book recommendation for those of you who love Historical Mystery Fiction: March Violets, by Philip Kerr is a decent whodunnit set in 1936 Berlin, following an ex police man turned private eye (he left the force because he opposes the Nazis) hired to investigate a mysterious arson/double murder. Little over 80 pages now and I can't put it down.

I'm also fond of The Alienist (as @Shera can attest) which is about a secret manhunt for a serial killer in 1899 New York.

10. Peter Q

Peter Q Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Anyone with tinnitus might be interested in reading Mack Hagood's "Hush: Media and Sonic Self-Control". He has a chapter in the book about tinnitus.

https://www.dukeupress.edu/hush

11. Peter Q

Peter Q Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Juan, as you mention Oliver Sacks, I would highly recommend the excellent documentary about his life. It's called "Oliver Sacks: His Own Life" and is directed by Ric Burns.

• Like Like x 1
    12. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Kafka's "The Trial" because I have the same sense of desperate bafflement about my tinnitus as did the protagonist Joseph K. about the reason for his arrest.

"The Woman in the Dunes" by Kobo Abe, because a man is trapped at the bottom of a sand pit and cannot get out; this is also a metaphor for this condition.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      “A New Earth” by Eckhart Tolle.

Which contains a brilliant chapter (5) on the presence of the ‘pain body’ (Freud’s super ego) the condemning voice within, that seeks to destroy our equilibrium life long.

“I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings,”
      by Maya Angelou, a graphic account of a young black girl’s experience growing up in the Deep South. A wonderful book.

• Like Like x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Thanks! I will search for it. It sounds interesting.

15. buttercake

buttercake Guest

Ficciones by J. L. Borges. I re-read it at least once a year.

16. ALS
      Alone

ALS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021 ; worsened 6/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of headphone use (too long and too loud)
      I've been reading The Locked Tomb series by Tamsyn Muir. It's funny and macabre, my two favorite things.

• Like Like x 2
    17. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I watched the documentary. Very interesting.

That American Masters series looks very interesting too. I am having a look at other documentaries of that series.

18. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Recently read Mistborn Era 1 by Brandon Sanderson and it was fantastic!

19. aura

aura Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly "

"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is a memoir by journalist Jean-Dominique Bauby. It describes his life before and after a massive stroke left him with locked-in syndrome."

20. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Sounds light hearted and fun.

I'm going to make this the book for all my... oh. ( ་ ⍸ ་ )

• Funny Funny x 1
    21. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      There's a great movie about it by Julian Schnabel. It's called Le Scaphandre et le Papillon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Peter Q

Peter Q Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Juan, this short clip is also worth watching:

Tinnitus & Migraine - Oliver Sacks (2007)

• Like Like x 1
    23. DaveFromChicago

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      In 2015 Liveright Publishers came out with a new translation of Primo Levi's "Survival in Auschwitz"; the revised title is "If This Be A Man."

He was there for slightly less than 1 year and was spared, because with a Master's Degree in Chemistry he was placed in a lab that conducted experiments on producing synthetic rubber.

Widely regarded as the most psychologically insightful account of the mentality of the Nazis who ran the Camp and on the prisoners who would do absolutely anything to survive.

24. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Oliver Sacks was very interested in discovering how people process information, how people process hearing input, sound signals, visual stimuli...

People more or less take for granted we all see the same, as the most common vision problems may be fixed just by wearing glasses.

However, hearing problems cannot be fixed like that... even common hearing loss cannot be restored to feel like natural hearing just by wearing a hearing aid. Current technology has too many limitations...

• Like Like x 1
    25. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      Jonathan Littell - The Kindly Ones

World War 2 as Aure looks back on his part of the Nazi regime and his duties.
      I read it twice, all 998 pages. A brilliant account of massacre and destruction.

26. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Has anyone read the book "The Soundscape" by Raymond Murray Schafer? Is it good?

27. DaveFromChicago

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      "Dispatches" by Michael Herr. Out of all of the thousands of books about Vietnam, this is unmatched in describing the brutality and insanity of that war.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Maria Francesca

Maria Francesca Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      drug-induced peripheral neuropathy
      My favourite italian classics:

- Cesare Pavese; "The moon and the bonfire". A book about the memory of the past, sense of belonging and nostalgia, with the background of the conflict between the fascists and partisans in rural Italy during World War II.

- Beppe Fenoglio: "A private affair". Another novel settled during Italian Resistance. The protagonist, a partisan, urges to solve its private matter, to know the truth about his loved one, this taking precedence over the fight against fascism.

- Dino Buzzati: "The Tartar steppe". A young lieutenant is assigned to a border fortress, which borders the desert, where they have to defend the country from an invasion that never arrives.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Convenience Store Woman, by Sayaka Murata. Funny and also unsettling. Very Japanese, as Tokyo and all the large Japanese cities are full of konbinis. And it also discusses the role of women in Japan and the need of people (men and women) to "fit" in society.

30. El BUZZ
      Buzzed

El BUZZ Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I mostly read comics. American and European underground. Gilbert Shelton, Julie Doucet, Noah Van Sciver, Charles Burns, Johnny Ryan, Daniel Clowes... To name a few. I also dig Japanese manga but not that of superpowered stunts but everyday stories. When it comes to novels I love any Irvine Welsh book.

This pile is from my last visit to Madrid this last weekend. There's a lack of good bookstores where I live, which is a very positive fact for my economy.

Screenshot_20211116_183356.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1