Why Can't They Just Surgically Remove the Ear and Everything Else?

Discussion in 'Support' started by AnotherProblem, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Ava Lugo
      Irritated

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Oh ok. I sometimes watch tv with no sound and captions only too. I try drawing and painting too. Another fun thing I do is look up “Lauterbrunnen Switzerland“ and they have videos of 4K resolution car drives so I like to imagine I’m on a nice car ride through Switzerland and it’s beautiful. Same with Austria and places like that. I like to imagine I’m on a nice scenic drive somewhere when watching those YouTube videos. I use Google Earth Street View too.

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Wow that's some fluctuation, the fire alarm thing should subside over time and settle into something moderate, however, there is still time for remission, or it could balance out somewhere in the middle.

A pure tone is like an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound at any fixed frequency- unlike electrical static or buzzing, ticking, whooshing, rumbling, etc.

Yeah maybe I'll drop by sometime and we can listen to our tinnitus together, or no, that would be counter productive...

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your kind comments @LindaS
      Sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. You have and are going through a lot so try not to be to hard on yourself. You are trying your best and that's all one can do. I understand the effects environmental sounds have on you so just take things very slowly. If you are able to go outside do so for a short while no more than 10 to 15 minutes and see how you get on.

Take care
      Michael

4. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Cures tinnitus in some cases, makes it worse or initiates it in most cases.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Cutting the auditory nerve will make you completely deaf and the tinnitus louder, as the noise is coming from the brain not the auditory system,

6. Marin
      Happy

Marin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL (probably previous noise exposure, too)
      Same here. Not being able to use sound enrichment, listen to music or TV is just so cruel.

I’d gladly trade the extreme pain hyperacusis to be deaf instead. If I were deaf I’d be at my sons baseball practice right now instead of locked in my room in silence with my ears on fire.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Ava Lugo
      Irritated

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I completely agree. I think habituation would be possible if we could get long periods of relief from the tinnitus by masking but when we have something else like very reactive tinnitus, burning hypercusis or loudness hyperacusis then habituation feels impossible at least for me. I’m jealous of people who only have tinnitus that is not affected by noise.

• Agree Agree x 2