Will You Get Vaccinated for Coronavirus (COVID-19)? Can It Make Tinnitus or Hyperacusis Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Nov 13, 2020.

?

Will you get vaccinated for coronavirus?

1. Yes, right away, as soon as possible, when the first vaccine becomes available

2. Yes, planning to, but I will wait a while to see if there are any potential long-term side effects

3. Maybe, I haven't decided yet one way or another

4. No, I'm not going to get vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's just a relatively bioavailable form of Magnesium, which is a necessary nutrient we need.

There has been research showing that soldiers who are taking Magnesium regularly, suffer less hearing damage and tinnitus from shooting guns, than soldiers who did not get Magnesium.

In general being in stress states can deplete our cellular stores of Magnesium. Magnesium works in opposition to Glutamate, which is an "excitatory" molecule that causes nerves to fire faster. Magnesium slows this down. If you run out of Magnesium this can lead to "excitotoxicity" where neurons just fire fire fire fire until they burn out.

My conjecture is, if Magnesium protects the ears from acoustic trauma, this might also work against other kinds of inflammation that might lead to lots of neuronal firing. Worst case, you poop a little more than you would otherwise, it's incredibly safe.

One side note: the most common dietary source of Magnesium is green leafy vegetables. I have read that poor farming practices in the US have depleted soil Magnesium reservoirs, so, even people who "eat their greens" may be deficient.

One MORE side note: I have personally noticed that large doses of Magnesium can give me a tinnitus spike for 2-3 days. This goes away if I am using it regularly, and it's never been more than a minor annoyance, but, just mentioning it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good call; these specific vaxx's don't have heavy metals in them, but, the whole world has so much metal in it part of me thinks we should all be taking Selenium.

3. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      A good excuse to eat some Brazil nuts!

• Like Like x 1
    4. NuNu

NuNu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/27/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firing guns
      5 hours in and no difference in levels.

5. NuNu

NuNu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/27/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firing guns
      One day in and no difference. I forgot to mention I got the Pfizer vaccine.

• Like Like x 4
    6. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I take NAC and Magnesium daily. I even upped my dosage of NAC a few days before up to a few days after receiving the shot, and it didn’t protect me. Or maybe my reaction would have been even worse if I hadn’t. I don’t know.

7. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Is NAC safe to take on an ongoing basis?

I didn't think it was something to take regularly or is it?

I took it a while ago. Financial reasons caused me to take only certain vitamins although I still take Magnesium Bisglycinate.

8. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      Just got my second second Moderna shot three days ago and no side effects except for a sore shoulder. No change in tinnitus.
      I will update if anything changes but it seems like I’m out of the woods.

Also, a friend of mine that has tinnitus got his second shot a month ago and hasn’t experienced any change as well.

• Like Like x 5
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. MaryA

MaryA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderna Vaccine
      Hello All,

I wanted to give you an update after 3 ENTs and about 75 days since onset of my tinnitus after the 2nd Moderna COVID-19 vaccine. Finally, the last ENT I went to is seeing patients that are having tinnitus, Bell's Palsey, and hearing loss from the vaccine. There have been about 30 patients seen in their very busy Tampa office. The ENT doc I saw said he discussed these findings with the infectious disease people at USF. They are gathering retrospective data, so my chart data will get entered into that research group. Really doesn't do anything for me now. He didn't prescribe anything to try for some kind of relief. I have seen various people post options that are at least helpful some days. Diamox was one of the drugs I'd like to try. In his opinion, and I'm watering this down completely for time, but he says that the carrier of the spike protein to introduce it into the cell is what's causing the issue. They are seeing an uptick in herpes, chicken pox, and shingles- like viruses. I asked him if an antiviral would help. He said no, but how does he know? This is so new to everyone. He can't give me any hope it'll subside or get better. I'm trying one more ENT to see if I can try some medication. Then if that doesn't work, I'm going to Mayo clinic. At some point in time, some ENT somewhere will take an interest in looking at the real data and evaluating it. Perfectly good ears and hearing are now destroyed because of a vaccine. This last ENT was trying to convince me I was doing it for my fellow man and really not to complain. He said that in so many words. He said, "You wouldn't want other people not to get the vaccine?" I said if I had known this would happen or was a risk, I NEVER would have done it! He also suggested anti-depressants again, sigh... I tried that, they made me feel like I wanted to die.

On a happier note, I feel Divine intervention is a better option and the odds of God healing me vs an ENT at this point are definitely greater. Sorry I don't have any new good news. My tinnitus not only is a high-pitched hiss, but now my ears hurt down into my naso-pharynx; feeling full and ache. That is new over the past few days. It's awful.

Questions for the group:

1. Advice for sleeping? So far only listening to podcasts cuts through. Shower sounds also work. Medications?

2. Has anyone tried Diamox? I can't remember if it was this forum or another where I saw that.

3. Is anyone else seeing an ENT and what are they saying about the vaccine and this tinnitus situation? Will it resolve? Get worse?

I'm so frustrated, but grateful beyond belief for this forum. I'm telling every doctor about it and trying to raise awareness in my small way. Thank you all for your support!

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I am curious on his opinion that the vector to deliver the spike protein is the trigger, especially since it’s different for each vaccine. The mRNA vaccines are using lipids while J&J and AstraZeneca use adenoviruses. I did read today that the immune response to the vaccines is triggering herpes zoster. I thought shingles could impact hearing, so kind of surprised no one is looking into that. Would your general doctor prescribe you an anti-viral?

When I lost my hearing, figuring out sleep took some time and only seemed to add to my stress. I thought I’d share a few things that helped me:

A good routine - I met an audiologist who had tinnitus and she suggested a consistent nighttime routine. She told me what worked for her and cautioned some patience because it took even her some time to figure out what would help her at night. If shower sounds work well for you, maybe incorporate a long shower as part of your routine.

Quality sound - I tried a few options but realized a quality speaker is helpful, inexpensive speakers irritated my hearing. I have a Bose micro speaker that works well paired with a smart device. It took a while to find a sound that worked for me. Crickets and white noise were annoying because my ring was higher pitch. I used the app ReSound to create a sound combination that worked for me.

Sleep monitoring - I thought I wasn’t getting enough sleep and that worry added to my stress. I started wearing a FitBit to track my sleep, and I realized that even though my sleep was limited, what I was getting was not as awful as I thought.

I have not tried medications for sleep, but I know some people like Melatonin. Hopefully someone else will be able to address your other questions!

11. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I just heard yesterday from a co-worker (who knows I have tinnitus) that another co-worker has been having tinnitus since getting the vaccine. It would have been either Pfizer or Moderna since that's all that has been offered in my area.

• Informative Informative x 3
    12. BeMarie

BeMarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music / Zoloft
      I'm not an anti-vaxer, but I'm having a hard time making the choice to get this vax.

My situation:

I got intermittent tinnitus 40+ years ago from too-loud music in bars. It became permanent 24/7/365 after being on Zoloft for 6 months 10+ years ago.

Despite taking all precautions, I got COVID-19 last summer. It lasted about a month and my tinnitus has been slightly, but noticeably worse since then.

I was tested recently and still have COVID-19 antibodies.

I have HUGE anxiety about my tinnitus getting worse from the vaccine. I'm terrified. If it got worse I would never forgive myself for getting the vaccine. My life is miserable enough now; I don't know how I could live with it if it were worse.

I feel like the antibodies I still have are at least somewhat protective and I plan to continue with all the usual precautions: masks, distancing, etc.

Opinions on my situation?

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      If you already have antibodies, did they let you know the level of potential protection? Is that something you could continue to check every few months and re-evaluate?

Not sure what I would do if I were you, but I have heard that really only one shot is needed if you already had COVID-19 and especially if you have antibodies.

• Funny Funny x 1
    14. BeMarie

BeMarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music / Zoloft
      They give you the antibody test every time you donate blood, but they don't say anything about how high the level is, or what protection it can provide. I don't think anyone really knows anyhow. I have considered donating blood every few months to check for ongoing antibodies.

But if they disappear eventually, I'm still stuck with the decision about vaxing, not knowing if it will make my tinnitus worse.

15. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      There's already talk of needing 3 shots.

Scientist who helped develop Pfizer-BioNTech Covid vaccine agrees third shot is needed as immunity wanes

How many vaccines and shots are you willing to get?

They will invent new strains and variants. It will be a yearly thing. Or some regular process of multiple shots.

I asserted this a while ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. RAA

RAA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I voted yes, I will get vaccinated - but I do have concerns reading some of the experiences in this and the other "COVID-19 vaccine" threads. In the end I will need to travel back again regularly to visit my parents in the UK so going to need it being realistic - and here in DK everything is opening up but need to show negative tests/vaccinations to enter restaurants/pubs/bars on top of travel etc so going to be pretty much essential to lead any life here it seems.

There was a BBC article about our reopening here and how the "coronapass" works:

Coronapas: The passport helping Denmark open up after Covid

17. MaryA

MaryA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderna Vaccine
      I'm a healthcare provider and not an anti vax person, but a skeptic. I got the vaccine because my husband got cancer thinking I was doing something for him. I also got it because my son lives far away and I didn't want my travel restricted. I regret that decision immensely as this tinnitus has really ruined my life. There is no harm in waiting since you already had COVID-19, even more of a reason to see how this shakes out. Just my humble opinion and I pray you find the answers for yourself on what would work for you. All the best.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Even last summer it seemed obvious that similar to the flu, COVID-19 mutates at a pace that would require annual inoculation. You are not the first person to assert this, I actually thought it was a common assumption.

Not sure if you are aware that childhood vaccinations are given through a series with some requiring future boosters for adults. I never really stopped to think about how many Tdap shots I am willing to get in my lifetime.

Even with the flu shot, children under a certain age must receive two vaccinations several weeks apart the first time they receive it. The rationale has to do with possibility of prior flu strain exposure. It’s a bit complicated to explain but is part of why the first COVID-19 vaccination requires two shots but most likely will be an annual inoculation afterwards.

As to how many shots individuals are willing to get, that depends on their personal risk, their comfort level with vaccination, and how much the virus is spreading in their area. For example, there are vaccines we do not receive in the U.S. that are recommended in other countries.

Speaking of which, could you clarify when you said “they” will invent new variants? Did you mean “they” as “COVID-19”?

19. Lurius
      Sad

Lurius Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      Yeah, after reading about all the people who got tinnitus/tinnitus worsened after getting vaccinated, there is just no way in hell I'm going to take that vaccine. I'd rather eat my own arm. I'm not a vaccine sceptic, but I'm a reasonable person and this just seems like a ridiculous risk. They said it would take 8 to 15 years to develop a vaccine for COVID-19. They rushed something in place in 1 year. Of COURSE it's going to be enormous flaws with that thing.

I don't want COVID-19 and I don't want the vaccine. I'll just keep using a mask until the pandemic is over. I don't mind.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Who was saying 8 to 15 years for a COVID-19 vaccine? I do not recall hearing that, though development of mRNA vaccines and research into SARS type viruses has been in the works since 2003. So I guess that falls within that timeframe. I know someone in medical research and the amount of red tape and fighting for funding is ridiculous, seems like that takes up much of the time. Plus throw in the lack of cooperation and data sharing between research labs. We could probably cure a lot of conditions — including tinnitus - if information and resources were pooled together with a common goal.

It is a tough decision, for sure. I am trying to find data on incidents of SSHL and tinnitus from COVID-19, I think that would be a good risk comparison.

21. Taurus613

Taurus613 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Covid-19 vaccination
      I have sought tinnitus resources since I have recently experienced an onset of persistent medium and high frequency tones, mainly it seems in my left ear, since my COVID-19 vaccination in December 2020. It is not audibly painful or distracting, yet.

However, I have never had this in the past, only intermittent low grade tinnitus due to actual causation events. My symptoms do not seem to be changing, just remaining persistent. I hope to learn what I can and continue to discuss my situation.

22. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The risk from the vaccines is tiny based on the evidence we have. You have to take a step back and look at this logically, you are getting your information from a tinnitus forum where everyone has ear issues. There is also a degree of hyper-awareness and obsession exhibited here that goes beyond the normal threshold. That is not a slight on anyone here as I'm exactly the same and am including myself in that description.

If someone was to have an adverse reaction to the vaccine, where do you think they are likely to post about it? Here of course, or another tinnitus-related group. This gives the impression that everyone's getting tinnitus from it.

If I were to go onto a veterans support group, I'd expect to see a higher-than-average amount of amputees posting. This, of course, would not reflect the same proportion of amputees that are present across the entire population, but if that's all I had to go by, then I could assume it's a much more common problem.

You then have to factor in the risk of hearing-related problems occurring from catching COVID-19.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you know which vaccine he took?

24. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      I don’t. Sorry. I could find out - then I’ll report back.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Rob K
      Caffeine

Rob K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear syringing/ Eustaction Tube Dysfunction/ Smoking/ Trauma?
      At this point I'm worried about anything that can make my tinnitus even worse. I also started a new blood pressure medicine recently...

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      It’s now been a week since my second moderna shot and absolutely nothing. My tinnitus hasn’t increased one bit, if anything it seems quitter (probably because Im not stressing about side effects anymore).

• Like Like x 2
    27. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Got my first shot of Pfizer 15 hours ago. No change in tinnitus. Sore arm and general crappy feeling with night sweats, but so far so good on the tinnitus.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    28. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      My wife just had her second jab and she is in bed feeling rough.

• Hug Hug x 2
    29. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I had the same experience with my first Pfizer shot, GregCA. It wasn't until yesterday, late afternoon, that I began to experience a significant spike in my tinnitus. I had the sore arm on the first night of my shot (April, 19th) and also started to feel flu-like with the usual symptoms that have been reported by many. Fatigue was noticeable, also.

I was hoping I had dodged the bullet, as they say, now I am not so confident.

It is still early in the game, so there is always a chance that this will subside. Have to admit that I am concerned.

Sending you good thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    30. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Oh no, I hope she feels better, soon, Ed. You just never know, although feeling rough is common, it seems.

Sending healing/positive thoughts her way.

Also, I see you have had a rough go with this virus, Ed. I am so very sorry and I sincerely hope that you are able to overcome this. Please stay safe.

• Friendly Friendly x 1