Will You Get Vaccinated for Coronavirus (COVID-19)? Can It Make Tinnitus or Hyperacusis Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Nov 13, 2020.

?

Will you get vaccinated for coronavirus?

1. Yes, right away, as soon as possible, when the first vaccine becomes available

2. Yes, planning to, but I will wait a while to see if there are any potential long-term side effects

3. Maybe, I haven't decided yet one way or another

4. No, I'm not going to get vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      My parents both had theirs on Saturday. So far, so good.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Pulsing Ear
      Frustrated

Pulsing Ear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've got heart failure, 20% ejection fraction and have an implanted defibrillator/pacemaker. I'm in a very high risk category. My cardiologist said I should get the vaccine as soon as I can. I'm still thinking I want to wait until at least February so I can see what happens to all of the elderly in nursing homes that get the vaccine. Many of them will probably have heart failure like me. If they are ok then that will set my mind at ease. My doctor didn't think I would get offered it until around February anyhow.

I've also had tinnitus now for over 30 years, and recently started having what I think is MEM (Middle Ear Myoclonus). I too hope that this vaccine doesn't make that worse. It is driving me mad.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I have an open mind about everything and try to approach all serious matters with a sense of neutrality. It is of no benefit to either me or my family to be so easily suggestible. My wife is also one of the smartest people I know. She dominated national scores in testing and attained a first-class degree from Cambridge with ease (and was one of only 2 from her college to do so in her chosen field). She has read a lot about this and is on the same page as me.

When you say “if you research,” what on earth are you actually researching? I’ve delved deep into this and everything points to COVID-19 being far deadlier than the flu. I’ve read all through the Office for National Statistics’ data, and I’ve read a ton of studies from reputable journals on the matter. I also have a lot of real-world experience with this, both personally, and from a network perspective. So, what am I missing? I have also seen many of the YouTube videos that have been in circulation along with a ton of the conspiracy-style posts on social media.

A lot of the stuff that people gobble up online is embarrassing as most of it isn’t even fact-checked or based on reality. I see people sharing inaccurate and deceptive memes all the time, as if the information came from Harvard or something, and not from Dave down the local pub. People get so carried away sharing this stuff that it starts a movement all of its own. Almost like how cults are formed. It’s crazy.

Judging from your posts here, Pete, you are one of those lost souls that have been led astray, which is unfortunate. You can preach all you want, but I will always follow the hard data from as much a neutral perspective as is possible. To think that the entire worldwide scientific community and/or governments are in collusion with one another is laughably absurd. Nations are at odds with each other all the time, disagreeing over borders and trade deals, etc, but when it comes to this, the world is in unison. Think about it. If this was some form of corruption it would be on a scale that is near impossible.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      My dad has advanced heart failure and he’s had the Pfizer vaccine.

• Like Like x 2
    5. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      You don't understand, Ed. Anyway, I am not impressed about your education credentials nor your relatives'. That means nothing here. Also, saying you researched on YouTube illustrates you still don't get it. How are you going to get objective, unbiased information on a platform that censors anything questioning the official narrative on COVID-19?

I follow a variety of sources, some I posted here. Those were mostly ignored by COVID-19 believers such as yourself.

Do you deny that there's a 99.7 survival rate? Do you deny that there's numerous legitimate doctors calling the response overblown and many even call it a hoax? Do you deny that the statistics more or less match the flu (flu stats have disappeared?!?) and that the PCR test isn’t just flawed, it doesn't work?

Do you deny all of those or any of them?

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Have you been wearing a mask with a fairly tight strap? I've also gotten MEM lately and I suspect it's caused by the constant pressure/irritation on my face and scalp. Sensitized some nerve.

I've registered for the vaccine both on our govt page and at a private clinic that offers preregistration and will get it as soon as they offer. It might have risks but I believe they'll be much lower than the very well known risks of COVID-19.

As a 32-year-old healthy man, death isn't the threat... Long COVID-19 is. The net is full of athletic young people trashed by chronic fatigue, insomnia, unceasing headaches, heart damage, lung damage, nerve damage, newly induced tinnitus, and God knows what else. And it's not just studies and online anecdotes. My personal trainer, a 27-year-old dude built like a tank, now has trouble walking. My physiotherapist, 25-year-old and fit as a whistle, now has to pace herself going up on stairs lest she faint.

Yeah, gimme that vaccine.

• Like Like x 3
    8. hans799
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I work at a cancer research biotech and so far we haven't gotten any of that sweet bribe money ostensibly given out to suppress cure research, lol. But after all, this is exactly what I would say if I was one of them, right?

Once the pandemic is suppressed I hope there will be serious legal action against anti-masker and anti-vaxxer influencers. These people and the suckers they hoodwinked are responsible for mass death.

• Like Like x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There isn’t a definitive number on this, especially to within the kind of accuracy you’re asking for. There isn’t even a precise figure for the flu and we have data going back generations. The reason for this is that there are a lot of things to consider, ranging from socioeconomic issues to population density, individual viral loads, people’s age and health, etc, etc. There is a range of statistical probabilities, but most people agree that it is somewhere around a factor of ten times worse than the flu. Maybe more.

Here are some bullet point facts from the ONS:

In comparison with the deaths due to influenza and pneumonia occurring in the year to 31 August 2020, deaths due to COVID-19 have been higher than every year monthly data are available (1959 to 2020)

The mortality rate for COVID-19 is also significantly higher than influenza and pneumonia rates for both 2020 and the five-year average."

Since 1959, which is when ONS monthly death records began, the number of deaths due to influenza and pneumonia in the first eight months of every year have been lower than the number of COVID-19 deaths seen, so far, in 2020.

Here are some figures from John Hopkins:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

A new report from ICL predicts the average is around 1%:

COVID-19 deaths: Infection fatality ratio is about 1% says a new report

by Dr Sabine L. van Elsland

29 October 2020

The COVID infection fatality ratio is around 1% in high-income countries, but substantially lower in low-income countries with younger populations.

These are the findings of a new report from the Imperial College London COVID-19 Response Team.

The report reveals that:

• In high income countries, the estimated overall infection fatality ratio (IFR) is 1.15% (95% prediction interval 0.78-1.79).
      • In low-income countries, the estimated overall IFR is 0.23% (95% prediction interval 0.14-0.42).
      • Risk of death from COVID-19 doubles for approximately every eight years of ageing.
      • Age-specific IFRs increased from 0.1% and below for individuals under 40 years to greater than 5% among individuals over 80 years.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/207273/covid-19-deaths-infection-fatality-ratio-about/

Here’s a graph of last months deaths in the UK and Wales:

8EDFE871-6E06-406F-AFC1-AB7B140F2021.jpeg

No, there are numerous doctors who I’ve seen talk about the response being disproportionate. Some are definitely questionable, but some raise some good arguments. Those calling it a hoax can be dismissed immediately as being idiots.
      The stats are nowhere near the same as the flu. April alone in England and Wales had a doubling of all deaths, which is statistically massive.

(Sorry about resolution)

98C2E619-DD89-471F-AD46-2446670EE8D5.jpeg

9AFB1612-C12F-4011-9042-D87BB96944E5.jpeg

The PCR test is the gold standard, and if there’s viral material on the swab with the RNA code present, it’s nearly 100% effective. The problem comes with mass testing as it can give false-negatives up to around 20% of the time, depending upon how long a person has had symptoms. This is commonly blown out of proportion on conspiracy-type posts and people lap it up, unfortunately.

Sorry, but I had to rush this response as I have work.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. hans799
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know that you aren't talking to me but I must make this point.

I need you to understand that the most frightening aspect of COVID-19 is not death (even though it has already killed more Americans than World War 2). It is long COVID-19, that is, long-term disability from viral damage.

According to the Tony Blair Institute's Long Covid: Reviewing the Science and Assessing the Risk:

"The King’s College London study appears to be the largest in scale and indicates [..] between 1.5 and 2 per cent still experiencing such symptoms after three months."
      "As Professor Spector says, long Covid is likely a bigger issue than excess deaths as a result of Covid"

You catch COVID-19, you run a 1.5-2% chance becoming long-term disabled. The US has roughly 18M cases; even in the best case, that's 270K people disabled (in addition to the 325K already dead).

Even if your 99.7% survival figure was true (it isn't, as any high schooler glancing at any COVID-19 statistics tracker can tell you; the real survival rate is 97-98%), the disability rate alone would be more than enough reason to go after this virus with all our might.

Also, now that we're at it: Joe Biden has won the election free and fair, vaccines work, vaccines do not contain microchips, vaccines do not cause autism, the Earth is round, 5G has nothing to do with the coronavirus, prayer does not heal people, medical science does heal people.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Now I’m free for a moment I’d add that no testing method is 100% reliable, but this doesn’t detract from the number of people that COVID-19 is killing. If you look at the data, you have to agree that it’s considerably more deadly than the flu. Those that call it the flu are either misinformed or clueless. It’s also an insult to those who have lost loved ones to it or seen their health decline because of it.

Also, imagine what the peak numbers would have been if we hadn’t locked down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Pulsing Ear
      Frustrated

Pulsing Ear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Oh, wow. How long has it been? I'd guess about 1 week. Let us know if anything negative happens. My heart failure is advanced as well and lots of rhythm problems. Your father then has a defibrillator like me. I hope he is ok.

It's just with me I feel like I have "bad luck", having a heart attack at age 38 and a blood clot disorder when I was physically very fit. I feel like if anything can go wrong for me it will.

• Hug Hug x 2
    13. Pulsing Ear
      Frustrated

Pulsing Ear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't think my mask would have much effect on me because I hardly ever even venture out in public to have to wear one. When I do go, like to the doctor or car service, I wear a N95.

Do you have to go out a lot? I'm lucky that I don't have to go out to work and since I have heart failure I only go out if it is essential for me. My poor wife does all the shopping etc.

14. Pulsing Ear
      Frustrated

Pulsing Ear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I took a look at the CDC's numbers for total deaths in 2018, 2019, and 2020 in the US. The number was up about 200,000 when comparing 2020 to the other years. So unless there is something else new this year that is killing off people, COVID-19 has indeed killed about the amount being reported. There is normally a small increase in total deaths from one year to the following year because of the increase in population size, but nothing so large as 200,000 increase in 12 months.

Total deaths I think is what you need to analyze when trying to figure out how many died from COVID-19. The number of COVID-19 deaths reported in the news could indeed be wrong, and by checking total deaths you can rule out error.

In this case it looks like the reports have been fairly accurate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      He doesn't have a defibrillator, but he's very ill. His legs swell up terribly and he doesn’t have the energy to walk the length of the living room. He’s also nearly blind and has severe tinnitus and recurring bladder cancer.

He has to have regular heart checkups.

I’m really sorry to hear about your situation. I’ll let you know how he gets on. He had the vaccine on Saturday.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      You’re right. After reading it back it came across a bit cringeworthy which wasn’t my intention. Kinda like, my dad is harder than yours :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. Pulsing Ear
      Frustrated

Pulsing Ear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Those CDC numbers were actually showing around 300,000 up from last year for total deaths. I made an error earlier when I said it was 200,000.

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      A58E898C-64B0-4706-AF98-BFA4C8798119.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
    20. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      Would be great if people on the forum getting the vaccine could report here if there are any negative effects to tinnitus/hearing. I'm way more concerned about that than of Bill Gates tracking my afternoon walks :borg:

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    21. hans799
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hungary has 10 million residents and out of these, merely 300K have registered for the vaccine so far. This means I have a fairly good chance of getting it early, in 1-2 months from now. I'll most certainly report back once I have gotten it. We'll probably get the Pfizer/BioNTech mRNA vaccine.

• Like Like x 1
    22. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Yeah, I guess the other side effects such as strokes are not that worrisome.

23. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      My wife’s Nan got the vaccine today as well. Her mom works in a hospital as an audiologist, so she’s scheduled to have it next week. I’ll keep you updated on how it goes for everyone as I know quite a few who have had it now.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      You had me until you said the Earth is round. If it's round, how does it balance on the back of the turtle? :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    25. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Where might that be?

26. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      • Like Like x 1
    27. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      In fact, much of the research and materials that went into the development of COVID-19 vaccines already existed, which is why the process happened so quickly. It relied heavily on discoveries for prior coronaviruses.

Given contemporaneous resources, it's actually more startling that the polio vaccine was developed in 20 years than multiple COVID-19 vaccines were developed in a single year.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    28. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      I want to know how many cheese burgers the people in these studies had throughout their lives before I make up my mind.

29. Pulsing Ear
      Frustrated

Pulsing Ear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    30. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      As I said in my previous post: I am not a conspiracy theorist, just voicing my opinion and you have done the same, of which you have no proof. Unless you're one of these people that believe everything the media spoon feeds us, or read on so called official websites - not dissimilar to the the rubbish purported by tinnitus researchers, who have no long term experience with the condition and believe it's all about science.

I wish you well.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 2