Would Noise Cancelling Headphones Help or Hurt Me? How Well Do They Protect Hearing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lorac, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Would noise cancelling headphones help me or hurt me?

I found a pair of noise cancelling headphones while cleaning my mother's garage. My nephew, who works in landscape maintenance, left them there.

I wonder if I could go to a ball game or mow the lawn again while wearing them?

What are your experiences using noise cancelling headphones?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      Noise cancelling headphones work by producing an "inverse sound wave" of external sound to basically eliminate it. I've found that they work best against "constant" sound (the drone of an airplane) and less with "sudden" sound (a thunderclap, or someone yelling at you). I would not count on them to provide hearing protection from loud sounds like a lawn mower. Remember that sound can also enter your inner ears basically through the bones in your skull and not just through the hole in your ears. These headphones are not designed to be used for hearing protection, just for a bit of a buffer so that you can enjoy your music or whatever with less background noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I used them frequently, not as a substitute for ear plugs but to make it easier to listen to music and podcasts while out walking around a noisy town or on a plane. It cancels out background noise so I do not have to have the volume so loud. The other benefit is that you can still hear voices and have a conversation with them on.

I have been using them for years and find they do not impact my tinnitus on way or another. I do not believe they will harm you.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I would not rely on them for hearing protection. They are of some use for situations like an airplane while trying to listen to audio in a noisy background.

Notice the noise canceling headphones do not have a NRR?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 2
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      The first reply is right, the constant drone sound is what they cancel best.

There is a slight lag in the inverse function so higher, irregular frequencies dont cancel so well, and the cancellation is a sum, 1 + -1 (the inverse) = 0.
      So if a wave gets inverted by the time it swings across the zero line it could actually rectify the wave and add it to the result and amplify it. 1 + 1 = 2. Does that make sense? I can better explain if you want.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Cojackb
      Fine

Cojackb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Glad somebody asked this! I bought a pair of Sony NC headphones that I love to use but haven't had the guts to put them on since the T onset.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Some people report that those headphones made their T worse (search this forum to see their stories). I wear them (in the car and in airplanes) over earplugs. The earplugs are there to protect myself from the headphones, in case they can actually make one worse.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hearing protection can provide one with a false sense of security:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/learn-from-others-mistakes.29437/
      Besides, noise cancelling headphones are not designed to protect you from sudden loud noises.

9. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      I have been using the Sony NC headphones for awhile now. I do not use them for ear protection for loud noise, but use them to block out normal background noise. For the type of T I have, this seems to work good. For example, if I am in a busy restaurant (normal noise, not harmful to normal hearing) I use them and they work great. My T is greatly aggravated by background noise. It's like pouring gas on the fire, so NC headphones work for me. I don't think they will cause any harm as long as you don't use them in an environment where real ear protection is called for. When I mow the lawn, I use ear plugs (for protection) and also use the NC headphones over the ear plugs to reduce the background noise further.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    10. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Please consider using wireless shoulder speakers...this is what i used for gaming and working out...the sound does not go directly in my ear and it is pretty effective for PC gaming since i play a lot of FPS games. It is not going to be like closed ear headphones but it is pretty close.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Thank you all for the replies. It seems as though noise cancelling headphones are not the holy grail I was hoping for. I like the idea of using them in combination with earplugs. I still don't know about lawn mowing though. I haven't mowed in almost six years and it's funny how such a mundane task seems so appealing now that I am unable to actually do it.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I have NC headphones that I use while traveling, train, subway, flight (especially flights!) because they cancel out the usual low hum noise levels.
      They are not hearing protection so you need to use plugs or other forms of hearing protection to mow the lawn or to a loud sports event. They cancel out low frequencies but not higher ones (voices) or against sudden loud noise.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Cojackb
      Fine

Cojackb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to go somewhat off-topic, I'm keen to hear if flying has bothered your tinnitus in any way?

14. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I really like mowing my own lawn, and continue to do it with T- safely. I use NRR 33 earplugs, keep them fresh, and make sure they are deeply inserted. On top of that I put my ear muffs, which reduce the noise further, and also make sure the earplugs don't get dislodged by a passing branch when mowing. I am quite satisfied with this level of protection for using the power lawn equipment.

While I am not a big fan due to the batteries involved, but the electric lawn mowers are another option to reduce noise further.

15. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I am creeped out by noise cancelling headphones ,the phase inversion sound awful to me.
      I dont trust that stuff to be healthy for your ears.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sorry to jump on the back of this thread.

I work in a large open plan office and at time it's gets noisy... people talking/on the phone etc. I was at the Tinnitus Management Clinic the other night - the audiologist recommended sound enrichment and I've been listening to one of the apps she recommended with crickets sound.

I play this on my desk, but I don't want it too loud so that it distracts others but at the same time I want to hear it.

Would NC headphones be a good solution in the open plan office scenario?

17. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      It was stressful the first few times because I wasn't sure how loud it was because I never reflected on the noise level prior to tinnitus. I have been on several flights, both long and short ones, ranging from big Airbus aircraft to smaller ones. Generally, I might get a spike, but that depends on how well I slept and how long the flight is. I use plugs during longer flights when I don't want to have my headphones on or both. Do not use regular plugs during takeoff or landing (as the pressure is not stabilized and you can get barotrauma from it).

This is from my experience, so I cannot say that we all react the same way. Just be sure to wear some kind of protection and you should be OK!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's a pretty common use case.

19. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I don't understand what you've written.

What do you mean... they're ok for that kind of environment?

20. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What I mean is that they are used frequently in that environment (because they work quite well in that environment). I don't know whether that means they are "ok" by your definition of "ok".

• Like Like x 1
    21. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Allan1967

You have "noise induced tinnitus" which is totally different from other types of tinnitus that wasn't caused by loud noise. My advice to you is not to use any type of headphone including NC, otherwise you are asking for trouble believe me! You have enough on your plate. I have also advised that you do not mention any treatment that you are having via Hearing Therapist or Audiologist or discuss what they have advised you, as there will always be someone that knows far less about Noise induced tinnitus to tell you their advice is wrong.

Do not concern yourself with not hearing your sound App in your office, if the surrounding noise in that environment from your co-works drowns it out. The fact that your ears and auditory system are being subjected to ambient sound/noise is supplying you with enough sound enrichment.

Be patient and divert your attention to other things like your work and try to stop focusing on tinnitus.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I am also not a fan of masking T in a noisy environment, and worry it just adds to the noise.

23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus should never be masked. The idea is to use sound enrichment and set this level slightly below the tinnitus. The brain cannot habituate to tinnitus unless it can hear it. So if a masking sound is used to completely cover the tinnitus, so that it can't be heard; this often causes more harm than good. As soon as the masking sound is stopped or permanently removed, the brain will immediately focus back on the tinnitus. Often this will make the tinnitus appear to be louder and more intrusive.

True habituation is when the brain hears the tinnitus and is able to accept it or ignore it. Some people that habituate the tinnitus is almost totally suppressed and rarely do they hear it. Others may hear their tinnitus and also not be bothered by it. Whether the tinnitus is mostly silent, mild, moderate or even occasionally severe, as mine is - it doesn't really matter as it all means the same thing: Habituation.

Michael

24. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Thanks for the clarification.

I am not a fan of masking, nor of sound enrichment. I used neither, now or previously. At two points my T was getting loud in the 70 db range, and at one point it was so intrusive it was waking me up from sleep.

I was tempted to try sound therapy to help with sleep, and considered a WNG. However, the experiment was forced on me as I sleep at work a few nights a month, with a constant, noisy ventilation system in the mid 60 dbs. I actually enjoyed sleeping there as it would lessen the T. However, whenever I slept there, without any HPE, the T would be worse for a few days. The pattern continued consistently, and the less at work, which generally is not a noisy job, the better my T got. At first I thought it was just stress related, but believe the background noise, while not really loud, was making the T worse.

Currently, my T is really much better, and only hear it in a quiet room.

Others can use this experience as they wish, as of course YMMV.

25. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Out of curiosity Michael... how is noise induced tinnitus different to other forms of tinnitus please?

26. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Allan1967

Noise induced tinnitus is different from other types of tinnitus, as the cochlea, in the inner ear has become traumatized by loud noise. As is often the case the whole of the auditory system including the auditory pathways in the brain have also been traumatized by sound. It is for this reason hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) often (but not always) accompanies those that have tinnitus caused by noise trauma.

For this reason I advise people that have noise induced tinnitus, not to use headphones even at low volume. I have corresponded and counselled many people with NIT over the years that have used headphones at low volume after they have habituated. In the majority of cases their tinnitus has increased. I know some people with NIT use headphones and have no problems but there is always a risk of the tinnitus becoming worse, and if it does, usually it will not return to its previous baseline level.

Tinnitus caused by stress, medication, an underlying medical problem within the ear or elsewhere in the body is different as the inner ear and auditory system have not been affected or traumatized by loud noise. The majority of these people will not be overly sensitive to sound as people with noise induced tinnitus. Therefore, hyperacusis is not normally present. This is not to say their tinnitus will not be sensitive to certain sounds but it is not the same as someone with NIT.

I do not believe there is a condition called Reactive Tinnitus so will not be answering questions on it, as I’ve discussed it many times in TT. It was a term made up in tinnitus forums. Some people have latched onto the term and say it is treatable by using sound therapy and want to separate it from hyperacusis, but I do not believe this is the case. Reactive tinnitus is hyperacusis and it comes in different levels of severity. It can improve by itself without treatment over time. In more serious circumstances, self help using sound therapy or with white noise generators as part of CBT or TRT where counselling is involved with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist trained in the management and treatment of tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Michael

Last edited: May 4, 2019
      • Informative Informative x 1
    27. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks for that excellent description @Michael Leigh As you already know I had severe tinnitus from an ear infection; treated with ototoxic ear drops on a perforated ear drum but in October last year woke up with a significant notable change in my tinnitus following playing the piano the night before.

My hearing test result showed no notable change in my hearing after the event compared to test results from 2015, so have I got noise induced tinnitus or have I just aggravated an already pre-existing condition; aggravated the auditory nerve? Or am I just kidding myself on?

All I can say at the minute is that whilst I've had some manageable days, generally speaking like today my tinnitus is high pitched, intrusive and when it gets like this it exacerbates other quieter noises, which I don't tend to hear when my main high pitched tinnitus is manageable.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I believe the increase to your tinnitus was caused by playing the piano through headphones into your ears. Therefore, you have aggravated your tinnitus whether it was originally caused by medication or noise trauma. Playing a musical instrument such as a piano whether it's electric or acoustic, into the ear I believe to be highly dangerous for someone that has noise induced tinnitus or tinnitus caused by an underlying medical problem. The audio being played into the headphones is not compressed as music which is also dangerous.

The audio frequency range from the piano would be full bandwidth even when played at what you believe to be an acceptable level. People with tinnitus whether noise induced or otherwise are never completely out of the woods. They need to be careful. So my advice is to Never, ever use headphones even at low volume and be careful of exposing yourself to overly loud sounds. And don't put trust in earplugs or moulded types. The reason being: If external sound is loud enough, it can pass through the head/skull and be transferred to the inner ear by bone conduction and spike the tinnitus.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    29. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yes, it is best to use earmuffs. Do you use noise cancelling headphones for flying?