Abraham Shulman Tinnitus Protocol (Clonazepam Plus Gabapentin)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Chinmoku, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Do keep us updated!

2. GBB

GBB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction / Additional Acoustic Trauma in Close Proximity
      I know the story of Don is quoted as a cautionary tale, but isn't it interesting he receded to lower than baseline after withdrawal? It's almost as though his ears/brain kept healing in the meantime when he was on benzos.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      I thought the same. I keep wondering whether the ears/brain healed in spite of the benzo, or because of it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. GBB

GBB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction / Additional Acoustic Trauma in Close Proximity
      Sorry, just to clarify, is the effectiveness the same as it once was?

5. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Yes. It could be a placebo effect, I don't want to know. All I know is I do habituate.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      I am considering this approach but I'm really hesitant. I see some have been helped and one person in the tinnitus support group I am a part of states this combination helps her.

I have been on Klonopin since late August (30 days of 0.5 mg per day) and then about 3-4 weeks of 0.5 mg cut in half 3x a day. I have been trying to wean off Klonopin for about a month now (down to 0.125 mg per day) and can definitely feel it but trying to push through and I felt the need to updose very quickly.

I have tinnitus in my right ear only and have right side TMJ. It started in January with facial pain which I thought was a sinus infection. I started taking Augmentin (as have done before), then got tinnitus about 5 days later and inner right ear fluid. Fluid cleared up, then my jaw pain started to take off. Jaw pain has gotten better with splints (since 7/1) but no change in tinnitus.

I can see Klonopin and Gabapentin are some serious drugs.

7. Sl F

Sl F Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      In the category of "What It's Worth", I've suffered from tinnitus since c. 1983; the same time I started developing other significant, chronic, acute (as diagnosed) Ganglion Neuropathy, i.e., a very screwed up Ganglion Nerve trunk.

I can tell you tinnitus is "brain", neurologically related and not 'ear' related. The reason I say this is that an ear infection 'ate away' my left eardrum completely in the 2000s; the same side I experience "both" types of tinnitus. While awaiting eardrum reconstructive surgery, the types, level, etc. of the tinnitus never changed.

I have been on Gabapentin and Clonazepam for ~25 years for the neurological issues. No dosing changes during this time. Gabapentin 1800mg daily; Clonazepam 0.25mg to 0.75mg daily, with 0.25mg being the norm.

Neither have had any impact on the tinnitus but they are just part of a long list of meds I take, both prescribed and directed OTCs. These are in addition to Botox and Lidocaine PUSH, not infusion every 8 to 12 weeks, to keep pain manageable (most of the time). My normal pain score is 7-8. My scale was expanded to 15 in 1997.

Back then, my belief was "Choose to lose; Will to win". In the 2010s, I learned my paradigm was wrong. Today, it is "Will to lose and, Choose to Win". It was learning that "you" (me) can give up... lose. But, it takes a conscious effort to win (never give up, never give in.

(C) Sl F, 2010 (May be used without permission.)

I hope this helps someone.

• Like Like x 1
    8. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      I had been on .5mg Klonopin for almost a year when my tinnitus started. I was originally on 1.5mg for about 6 months but weened down to .5 with no problems. I had been on the same dosage before when I had a long bout with IBS and weened off with no problems. My doctor is ok with me staying on .5mg for the rest of my life.

I am 52. I see no reason to stop it. I have generalized anxiety disorder and Tourette Syndrome. Klonopin has been a good med for me. I asked my GP to add Gabapentin and I am taking 300mg Gabapentin with .25mg Klonopin in the morning and the same at night.

It has only been a few days since I started the Gabapentin but the tinnitus is softer and more in my ear than in my head.

I also take Amitriptyline at night and sleep a solid 8 hours or more a night.

I have also been doing TRT now for 8 months. I am still struggling but the meds have been a lifesaver and allowing me to function normally. Yes I am far from habituation but I believe I am making progress slowly. I hate reading these nightmare stories about Klonopin and Gabapentin because for me they have not given me any problems, especially at these small doses. Seems to me people have issues when they try to come off them, which I don't see a reason to do until I habituate, and if I have trouble weening I will just stay on them.

• Like Like x 1