Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation: Do It Yourself Guide

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by jibs, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      It works on what they call the tonotopic mapping of the brain, different regions responding to different frequencies, so the model predicts that an octave below would not work - which has been proven experimentally by the placebo group (if they found it to work that would open up a larger treatment group so we can be fairly sure that it doesn't).

The frequencies, as I understand, are calculated based on where they see them best working to be separate enough from the tinnitus frequency, but still be perceived as a different sound.

The reason you find the higher frequencies so hard to identify is the way that the frequencies work up there. An octave is a doubling of Hz, so 16,000Hz is roughly B9 on a keyboard (B9 is more like 15,800Hz). The note directly below, the B-flat9, is roughly 15,000Hz, the next note, A9, is roughly 14,000Hz. When you're at the limit of your hearing these are difficult to tell apart, if you played them lower down on a piano you would fare much better.

One way to help you pinpoint the pitch is to start at 7000Hz and move around until the frequency feels in perfect harmony with your tinnitus, f you match the octave below you can double the Hz to get your actual pitch. You'll probably need a little help with this so you don't match it to a different harmonic, maybe have a piano keyboard near to make sure it's the octave sound you're hearing.

Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Kay Reeve

Kay Reeve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/10/1993
      Just found about this online two nights ago. Been reading it all. Trying to work out my frequency first but get different results depending on volume. My husband ended up bringing the slider 'down' while I had me eyes closed, till I could hear a noise at 6380htz. Now setting up the sequence. So hopeful yet so hard to believe there is any hope after all these years.

3. Tong

Tong Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont know
      Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been reading the forum all day, and somewhat excited to know there might be some solution to my years old tinnitus problem. This afternoon I went to see an audiologist who helped me to find out my T in both ears. I wonder if anyone could help me to create the two mp3 files for T frequency 4000 Hz and 125 Hz. According to http://www.generalfuzz.net/, if I understand correctly, the ACRN tones should be a)3047/3590/4412/5600 Hz and b) 52/91/188/200 Hz. If there is already a website to do this, please let me know. Appreciate it.

4. WOW well done guys, this just might be the best thing I have ever read on the net. I am going to try it when I finish work today. Many thanks.

Ok this is the one I have made this morning, DSCF6864.JPG Found it very easy to set up. It is much lighter and smaller then Neuromodulation and the Soundcure devices. I have it on a 4 hour loop now

5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      That's pretty cool.

What kind of headphones are you using with it?

6. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Does that work well? I have been meaning to get a sandisk / sansa clip but that looks just as small and convenient, how's the battery life?

7. It is working great, and I have many people in my fb very excited about this. I would like to thank @generalfuzz for doing this amazing thing.

Ok I have used it for 3 hours, and I strangely miss it already. I have been working with an audiologist friend remotely and he was very excited about it. I am now going to start phase 2. OK this time we matched up my own T (not easy) and now have an MP3 of it and I am going to play if for about 2 hours. The idea is simple I want my brain to get used to hearing it externally so it stops my real T. One drawback anybody around me now lives in our world. So my poor wife has to suffer for a few hours. Thankfully she loves me :) As for headphones I am using high quality Sony ones @Markku I have just gone to my shop and picked up a whole selection of different types I normally only use Airdrives. This might just be life changing :) Sorry missed the battery question last 8 hours easy. Only cost £10

Firstly I would like to say I sent a thank you email to the person who has done this great thing @generalfuzz and got a nice one back.

Well the good news is I have not woken up to a spike and after everything I put me ears through yesterday and that is a nice feeling. So I have started 2 hours treatment right away. I am going to do 3 2 hour stints a day for a few weeks.

Just to say. I have had an amazing day today. I am now on my 3rd 2 hour stint. After my first one my T levels went down very quickly.

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    8. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Thanks a lot @NeverLoseHope
      I will mess around with this. Has anyone else found some relief using this?

9. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Hey Rube---yes ACRN has given me some good relief in the past --- it's a cool thing have it going then plug your ears and not hear a screech. If I turn it on it makes my tonal component almost disappear but it's kind of a "Catch 22" because then you have another annoying sound going. I don't use it anymore unless I am really having a bad day and I just can't handle the sound. I found that it wasn't successful long term in taking away the sound and I did manage to listen to this for hours at a time. But definitely it is worth checking out. My T is around 3.9 khz ...

• Like Like x 1
    10. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Thanks! I just have to figure out my T frequency, I tried the site and it just feels like it's making my T worse as I listen to those sounds.

11. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Try to hum or sing the tone (down many octaves). Isolate your ear by plugging it and hum what your hear and search for that tone. That's what I did.
      Just be careful with the volume.

12. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      There are some web sites and apps where one can play all frequencies.
      My T is ultra-high. If it is 14, 15, 16 or 17, it cannot tell exactly.
      But it is ugly high and loud. Difficult to handle.

13. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I tried this for a month , I actually combined the tones with the other method of cutting out frequencies in music.
      Did nothing for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Our T is too high.
      The only thing that works for me is crickets and sometimes water sounds.
      Maybe I should move to a place where I have crickets all time around me. :-(

• Like Like x 1
    15. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yeah , true ..! It might work very well for others.

16. I am having a good day today again thankfully. It levels did go up again yesterday, but I think that was just the stress of doing the film and of not being able to use it at work easy, ( I am the boss) as we were so busy. But much lower again today I have managed 4 hours today. So Two more hours tonight will be easy. I have just started the 3 session now. Only real draw back is the comfort plugs I am using does not let in many outside sounds. But it does stop my wife from hearing it. I just take one side out if I need to talk.

17. Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      * Ear infection * 20 years later huge sound increase due to stress
      I learned that Acoustic CR Neuromodulation is one of the few treatments that actually works.
      But does it work for only only "tonal" Tinnitus?

I have a "non-tonal" tinnitus. That is, mine is like a hissing /electric buzzing sound.
      My question is:
      Can I still use Acoustic CR Neuromodulation if I find my T frequency (close to that hissing sound) ?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. Yes yours is like mine. I matched up mine almost right away an had almost instant relief. Just as a masker it is helping many people I have given this to.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    19. Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Many thanks for your support! You really gave me hope !

As I do not have a tonal tinnitus, finding the frequency may not be easy. But I will try.
      How long did you use Neuromodulation ? And how is your tinnitus level now?

• Good Question Good Question x 1

20. Thanks for asking yes I do. I made my MP3 player last Sunday and found almost total relief. I now use it for 2 hours 3 times a day. An have noticed a huge change in mine. After 11 years and hundreds of "cures" this is the closest I have come to a total cure @generalfuzz should be given a noble prize :) It was odd one day I was driving and thought something was wrong, then I realised it was my T was gone. It only lasted for a few hours, but during the day that has NEVER happened to me before. At Vodka o Clock I do get almost silence, but that is only late at night. I am also sleeping better. For the first time in years I slept until 8:30 am this morning I normally get woken up by my T at about 6:30 and give up and get up. #LifeChanging moments
      :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    21. Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the response . You are very kind.
      I hope it works for me me and for all people suffering from T.
      Many thanks again! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello again. I hear tinnitus in my left ear.
      The question is : Do I have to apply ACRN to both of my ears or just to my ear which I hear T.?

23. I only use it in my left ear as I have a hearing aid in my right ear, and I found more trapped in using it both ears as the plugs I used did not let the sound out so it did not effect people around me. So I use this and it works for me. I hope it can help others as well :beeranimation: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004K30FDA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

24. Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      I found that even after a short use it takes the bite out of the high frequency like a notch filter ( for the engineers out there) but it doesn't touch the hissssss sound.
      but only for a little while so far...

26. Neuromodulation is NOT an overnight cure. It will take a long time to take effect, but with luck in a few months our brains will reboot. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Okay, I just had a moment of heaven.

I have two sounds - one pure tone at about 4014 HZ and a hissing at about 12866 HZ. I ran two ACRN sequences simultaneously and didn't hear my T while it was going. It was awesome! I also got some residual inhibition for about 15 seconds after I stopped.

• Like Like x 3
    28. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      On the general fuzz website. There is a redit post that someone actually made a program that automatically generates a wav file with the tones based off of the frequencies you input in.

29. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      That's fantastic news, @Mike34! When you say you ran those two sequences simultaneously, are you saying that they played concurrently in both ears?

Also, how did you manage to isolate your exact pitch? I've been trying to isolate mine using online resources, but it's pretty tricky and I tend to "feel" that I'm there between 7600 and 8300 hertz. My audiologist actually looked at my quizzically when I told him I was trying to narrow it, as if it were some sort of futile exercise. Foolish man.

• Like Like x 1