Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation: Do It Yourself Guide

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by jibs, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Yes I ran them both at the time time.

I'm not sure if I have the exact pitches. I think if you get close you'll get the masking effect I talked about. Whether the treatment will work long term If you don't have the exact pitch is hard to say.

2. Since I started this treatment I have had some of the best days in 11 years. And yesterday I woke up and stayed in silence almost all day until a computer spiked me. I did not use it yesterday at all sadly. And today BANG real bad this morning. So I am back on it right now. I am now SURE this is the way forward for me. :thankyousign::beeranimation: @generalfuzz

Sorry but for personal reasons I am leaving the group. Look out in the app stores in a month or so when it is available for download FOR FREE, I hope it has helped some of you. It has been really nice meeting so many nice likeminded people. I know exciting times are ahead for us. So bye for now (I might return one day as it was fun). And please remember "Never Lose Hope". Bye 4 now.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Tina C

Tina C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Many people are having difficulty finding a tone that matches the one they hear in their head. Is that not because the tone we "hear" in tinnitus is the tone our damaged hair cell receptors can no longer pick up through the ear canal?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Silvine
      Bookworm

Silvine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2010
      When I first got to see an ENT consultant who actually knew a lot about tinnitus they showed me the notch in my audiogram and explained that this area and it's derived frequencies were responsible for my T, due to the lack of signals reaching that particular band of neurons in my auditory cortex. The neurons had basically gone into a synchronous firing pattern due to lack of input from my cochlear.

As my T is only in my right ear, the ENT used a tone generator to play the "missing" frequency into my left ear.

It was an exact match.

5. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    6. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      As the outcome was that Acoustic Neuromodulation was no better than placebo, maybe the Tinnitus Clinic offering this very expensive flawed treatment should be stopped from doing so?

7. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    8. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Where does it say that the outcome was no better than the placebo? All I see is that they are not publishing the results--something that the BTA addressed in their Q&A a couple weeks ago.

9. Mark662
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      @marqualler it says so at the bottom of the page;

The End of Study Report did not report a significant difference in the primary outcome measure (global Tinnitus Handicap Questionnaire scores) between the treatment group and the placebo group.

10. Mark662
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      @preslys
      No I didn't try it. It is excessively expensive. Even the German development company that pioneered the original treatment went into bankruptcy. It speaks volumes.

11. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Ah, I see that now. I do also see that the protocols used to do the study were not followed which invalidated some of the data:

“Review of the trial has, however, concluded that there have been deviations from the trial protocol and that the results cannot be regarded as scientifically robust. It is therefore with regret that all the parties have concluded that the results of the trial cannot be published with confidence."

I interpret differently than concluding with definiteness that the Neuromodulation is no better than placebo. However it doesn't seem like a good sign when they chose not to publish the results--if they were good I would think they would want to publish those results?

12. Mark662
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      Yes, it would appear they have held back because they didn't get the result they wanted. This is no doubt illegal and bad science. They have a lot at stake because of the potential to damage the reputation of the Tinnitus Clinic in the UK that has promoted this form of treatment from the start. It now seems it has been charging patients for a treatment without proper scientific grounding.

13. sticky
      Sunshine

sticky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1997
      Just wondering, is it possible to have this ACRN therapy done around the 16000 range?

@generalfuzz 's site only goes up to 15000.

Just wondering whether there was a reason for this. I know some people cant hear higher frequencies, so I just wondered whether there was a limitation in programming.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Shiro

Shiro Member

Hello, I'm new here, I red a lot of stuff and I would like to know a few things about the ACRN, is it in any way related in noise cancelling? Like you have to find your tinnitus frequencies then play it all day so the two frequencies (the one from the headphone and the one from your f*cked up brain) will cancel each others ? Does the hearing aid can solve the problem ? I think that my tinnitus is around 8kHz.

15. generalfuzz

generalfuzz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxic reaction to relafen
    16. sticky
      Sunshine

sticky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1997
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    17. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad science, sure, illegal, maybe not -- this is what passes for science when commercial interests are involved, in all cases.

In the US we have had an absolute boatload of instances where pharmaceutical companies do, say, 10 trials of a drug, and then publish the 5 which showed the result they wanted, and bury the other 5. In fact, Merck is being sued by the government over this right now:
      http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/lawrence-solomon/merck-whistleblowers_b_5881914.html

and there's a swell book about how this went on for years with SSRIs:http://www.amazon.com/Emperors-New-...424444848&sr=8-1&keywords=emporer's+new+drugs

I'm not trying to pick on pharma co's; they are in the impossible situation of being the only organizations doing research to demonstrate the safety and effiency of their products. It's madness, and most tinnitus treatments are in exactly the same situation. Unless the will of the people becomes to demand and subsidize public research into drugs and medical devices, the dark ages will go on.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Davey
      Amazed

Davey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/01/2000
      I have been stalking this topic for over weeks now and have been testing all the stuff here. I have made my own audio file from jibs' tutorial and have been listening to the ACRN from generalfuzz. Results are slightly different. Before I started with the therapy I had two different tinnitus sounds, but in both of my ears. The first sound is hissing and the second is a tonal sound.

Results:
      When I was experimenting with the audio file from jib's tutorial I sensed my tinnitus was changing. The tinnitus was slowly decreasing and I was hearing electric sounds, but hearing those electric sound was pretty annoying. After a while those electric sounds disappeared and my tinnitus was back at normal volume.

After using the ACRN from generalfuzz the tinnitus was decreasing to a point where I had to focus on my tinnitus to hear it again and my tonal tinnitus was gone. I also didn't hear any of those weird electronic sounds and the effect was longer than the audio file from jib's tutorial. By effect I mean the decrease of my tinnitus.

So it's working for me, my tinnitus is decreasing and my tonal tinnitus is gone after using the ACRN from generalfuzz.

I just want to thank Jibs, generalfuzz and everyone else that is dedicated to helping others with their tinnitus.

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    19. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    20. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My tinnitus is very high pitched and it's grating to listen to ACRN at that pitch -- but I seem to have some luck by matching it as best I can and then cutting the frequency exactly in half, to move it down one octave.

I had a bad day yesterday and did this for a couple hours, today seems significantly different, but I'm doing it again anyway...

There's something about the "desynchronous" timing that messes with the brain at a primal level -- my cats don't give a shit about the high frequency pure tones, but ACRN tones at any frequency make them look all around the room like "WTF WTF WTF"

21. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    22. mindpower

mindpower Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi, thinking about trying this... a few questions:

Do you need to listen attentively to the sounds or is background listening enough?
      If you have multiple tinnitus frequencies like I do (three of them), do I make 3 sequences that play simultanously or how do you go about it?

23. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Hi and welcome.

The official line was that you pick the tone which is the most annoying to you and base the sequence around that.

You should listen where you can hear them but where it doesn't affect your concentration. Hopefully they should be able to blend into the background and not effect your listening.

Listen up to an hour at a time for a total of no more than 6 hours per day.

This isn't from me but from the trial guidelines. Best thing is to see how you feel with it and if it feels like it's working. Your tinnitus tone is likely to change so make sure to check it regularly and create a new sequence to match.

• Informative Informative x 1
    24. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      What if I can't hear the frequencies above my tinnitus sound? I have mapped my tinnitus at somewhere around 14 000 hz. It's nearly impossible for me to map it precisly but it's as close as I get and I don't get that exact match though. However the frequencies that are used in that case are around 11 000, 12 800, 15 500 and 19 800 hz. The ones at 15 500 and 19 800 I don't hear at all.

Also, should I listen to the sounds on both ears or just the one where the sound I have is the loudest? I have tinnitus in both ears however my right ear is considerably louder and drowns out the tinnitus in my left ear so the tinnitus in the left ear I barely notice.

25. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When you're up that high it can be very difficult to get the correct frequency. 14KHz to 15KHz is not much in terms of the way we perceive sound. If you can, try and get somebody to test you out, get them to play tones from the slider and ask if it is higher or lower than your tinnitus. Make sure the tone isn't constant as that will generally suppress your tinnitus a little and make it harder to locate.

You should be able to zero in on it a lot better with this kind of help.

Unfortunately if you can't hear all of the tones this particular technique won't work. You could experiment using tones that you can hear, substituting higher tones below your tone. It would be a complete experiment though as there is no data I know of to support it working.

26. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Ok, I think I could hear them once I raised the volume but then I had to adjust the volume of the other tones @generalfuzz made a really usefull tool there so I could do it. I listened to the tones matching frequency 14 200 hz for an hour. I had no change but then again I didn't expect any so quickly. I plan to try it for a while to see if it helps. Any help at all would be nice.

I did however feel like my tinnitus got a little agitated for a little while after listening to the tones.

I have another question though. Am I supposed to listen to the tones for at least an hour at a time? I So f.i. if I listened to it for an hour at one time during the day. Can I listen for another 10-20 min later in the day as long as I put in one session of consecutive 60 min that day?

27. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is just my understanding of it, but you don't have to listen for a full hour, just "no more than an hour". Make it up with smaller sessions, which is maybe better. I found that listening for too long at a time leaves an audio artefact - meaning you can still hear the tones beeping after you stop (I had sessions of 3 hours and more sometimes).

Be careful about raising the volume too high. You don't want to overdo it and hurt your hearing. The tones need to be perceived as soft when you listen to them.

28. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think

Ok, I adjusted the volumes of the tones for each of them so that the ones of lower frequency have a lower volume than the high ones or else I don't hear them. Now I percieve all the tones as soft even though the volume of the tone at 19 800 hz is at a much higher setting.

29. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      All sound therapies have worse results than placebo.
      Its all for the money. Are not real cures only worsening can do.
      T is a sign of some problem. To cure T you must fix this problem.
      Sounds can not repair damaged hearing only can do more damage.
      Stay away you will get more damage.

• Funny Funny x 1
    30. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is an incredibly sweeping statement, where is the evidence to support it? The aim of sound therapy is not to restore hearing.

All audio therapy that you can currently buy (as far as I'm aware) has been shown to perform better than placebo, you can argue that the dice were loaded in a number of trials but you can't argue with the results.

The aim of sound therapy is to interrupt tinnitus in some way. Whether that is to try and make the brain ignore the tinnitus or an attempt to re-program neurons depends on the therapy.

I can agree that most sound therapies are not what they make themselves out to be but I personally think that this is down to a lack of understanding on the specific tinnitus causes and the way in which the individual responds to sound.

Each person is different so an understanding of this and a test before undertaking therapy is what I believe is needed. If we can say, for example, that a particular sound therapy works for 75% of people with TMJ as the root cause then we have a model to work with. The same model may say that it only works for 10% of people with acoustic trauma as the root cause.

There are no 100% treatments yet, possibly never will be due to the variety of causes. We need to work with what we have and play the numbers game. Acoustic Neuromodulation is a part of that and it seems to work for a number of people who have tried it. If we can gather more data then we just might be able to say exactly who it does help.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1