Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation: Do It Yourself Guide

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by jibs, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Remital

Remital Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I'd like to try this. I just used the frequency locator above, my tinnitus frequency is around 7100kHz. What's the next step...I'll look through this discussion.
      I like the idea of Acoustic CR neurostimulation. It doesn't look like it's available in the US ??

2. james bardslet

james bardslet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2005
      Hello. A member requested the frequency(ies?) of the sample above uploaded by Steve. Can you provide that Steve? The very first tone seemed right on the frequency of my tinnitus. Second question is an assumption that to listen to repeated tones that include ones tinnitus tone would not be therapeutic!? It has been very interesting for me to discover this interactive forum. jkb

3. james bardslet

james bardslet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2005
      Dear Steve.
      My tin freq seems to be 2291Hz. If you are still providing modulated patterns can you do one for me? I think I am arriving very late at this debate? Thanks v much jkb

4. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Hi jkb,

My efforts were on a slightly different version, then one of our members created a web app to use for the therapy. Find it here http://generalfuzz.net/acrn/

I also have some other files that were based on the same principle, you can download them free here https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/neuromodulation.7700/

Hope these help, let me know any feedback.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. nisc

nisc Member

Is there any application for android based on this site? (http://generalfuzz.net/acrn/)
      The website doen't work very well on Google Chrome mobile.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. MarioT
      No Mood

MarioT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + SSRI medication
      Is there a way to make a recording to listen to on your mobile? like @nisc already stated, the site does not work well on mobile devices (too much lag, the audio sequence is constantly disrupted)

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Everyloop

Everyloop Member

Is there more info about serenade trick?

8. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Anything new on this? I tried to put some higher pitched recordings on my cell phone to play back, but the devices sound processor cant seem to be able to handle the high frequencies.

9. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Bearing in mind the "real" acs neuro doesnt seem to work and it didnt for me just lightened my wallet isnt this a lot of work for not much???

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Not if you use the General fuzz app...
      Generalfuzz.net/acrn/
      This can provide relief for me while its playing and for a few minutes after.

11. adam.gre

adam.gre Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (mild) 01/2003; (louder and reactive) 06/09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      flu and sinuses problems
      I'm thinking about trying DIY neuromodulation. I had some limited success listening to tones, which sometimes quietens a bit my baseline T for short time (unfortunately I haven't observed change to my reactive part of T, which is the most annoying thing).

My question is if officially neuromodulation must be done using ear/headphones? As I'm working from home, I'd prefer to play it using speakers as I'm not very happy with putting stuff to my ears for prolonged amount of time.

12. Marcelo512
      Batty

Marcelo512 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Ok I am new to this how do I know what my tone is? Do I match it using my other ear or do I keep trying frequencies till I hear nothing. This ringing sounds like an old tube tv turning on and it never goes away.

13. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      I would guess it's the frequency response of the headphones/speaker you are using not being able to reproduce the high frequencies, rather than the processor. I have experienced the same thing with cheaper headphones.

14. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      Use both ears and adjust the tone until it matches your tinnitus sound. It's not easy as tinnitus can be a mix of sounds. Mine is like a TV tube, high pitched, with an associated hiss.

15. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Heh yep, I'm a walking TV tube as well. In my right ear anyway. The left one is a lower tone I think with occasional fleeting tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Khoo

Khoo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have very low frequency Tinnitus due to Menieres, 280hz. It's more like the ocean than ringing. I'd love to try this but I can't subtract 900 from 280. Anyone had success with low frequency tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    17. Senketsu

Senketsu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (No hearing loss)
      Hi
      I'm using your website based ACRN protocol for my left ear Tinnitus (almost exactly 4000 hz). It immediately helps to turn down the volume from 10/10 (normal) to 2/10. AMAZING! This effect lasts for minutes or even half an hour in my case.
      I tried many things before such as nothced music, playing my tinnitus tone in background. Both had no or only temporary effect (seconds or while hearing).

I hope it will help to rewire my neurons, that are connected to my neuronal hearing network.

Thank you for you hard work

ps: my tinnitus isn't that loud anyway (mild one)

• Like Like x 2
    18. Simon72

Simon72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Steve,

Are you still doing these?

19. Zechariah

Zechariah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      So why don't you use generalfuzz's web ACRN? Or are you trying to create notched music?

http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn

20. medal

medal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Hey I'm new to the forum.

First of all thanks for all the work!

If im correct the ACRN and the actual neuromodulation device is the same if I just use an mp3 player and in ear headphones? Or does it need to be open back? When paying for the actual thing is there frequency matching more precise?

Also do I just need to find my frequency at generalfuzz and record the playing ACRN?
      When using a daw/program to loop it I don't have to put any breaks in between anymore as said in the description when using the webpage, just loop it for an hour or so? Would save me a lot of money :)

21. Jahhsoul
      Curious

Jahhsoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/24/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown (not acute acoustic trauma).
      Hi guys, this is my first post here. Sorry but English is not my first language.

My T is really hard to describe and im not sure about the cause (right ear predominancy), its like 3 or 4 pure tones with a little of pink noise on each tone. I think my T is over the 10Khz, in fact I did my own audiometry and found a very sligh hearing loss in 11,700 Hz, and I guess that my dominant T tone is about that frecuency, but im not sure.

I read this therapy only works on people with <10Khz, but I can hear prety well up to 15Khz, and very very well up to 14Khz. So, should I give a try to this therapy? There are other reasons why patients with T over 10Khz couldn´t participate on the studies?

Thank you guys =)

22. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Juan Carlos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      ACRN what does is distract the brain from your T frequency and focus in the frequencies near it. So the neural activity is not focused in only one frequency but its spread to the ones next to it. So after hearing it, instead of hearing a pure tone, you will hear more like a white noise. That is what does to me, my friend and i guess all of you.

if you like more to hear white noise than a pure tone, that is a good thing. most of people prefer white noise. But tinnitus still will be there, is not gonna disappear, just converted to less pure tone..

I had an idea. its the following: Instead of playing the frequencies above and below yout T. Play ONLY the frequencies BELOW (lower) your T frequency, so the neuronal activity will be slowly moving to the lower frequencies. Doing that the idea is to change yout T to a lower frequency every time, slowly will be able to reach very low frequencies, almost un audible

Obviously, doing the other way is not a good idea, as when you reach an in audible frequency near 10-15k, the tinnitus will stay there forever

• Genius Genius x 1
    23. Jahhsoul
      Curious

Jahhsoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/24/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown (not acute acoustic trauma).
      Juan Carlos, about the use of tones below your T, thats an interesting theory, any studies or people who could confirm it?

About the pure tones converting into white noise, I think I´ve experience that in just two sesions of therapy, but was a really slight effect, I cannot confirm it.

Un saludo ;)

• Like Like x 1
    24. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      nope, as I said... "I had an idea" based on the theory of ACRN, as i know, no experiments done about it

• Informative Informative x 1
    25. Tom Kirby

Tom Kirby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      Wow, this works really well at suppressing my tinnitus at my workplace. Currently going through a bad spike and having trouble focusing on my work. Masking sounds (rain, waterfall, crickets etc) only partially work but this site really reduces the intrusiveness of my T so that I barely notice it. And even after I stop listening, I still get a few minutes of relief before my T returns to full force.

Thanks a lot for the great work! Will be listening as much as possible and keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a more permanent effect after a week or so.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Tom Kirby

Tom Kirby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      I am trying this at home using speakers instead of headphones as in my office. So far, its working just as well at suppressing my T. It's gone down all the way to pre-spike levels. The only problem is that the higher pitched sounds are quite grating (like chalkboard scraping) unlike the more soothing masking sounds I am usually used to.

27. Khoo

Khoo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I found that site after I posted, it works but I wish I could save a pattern to put on my phone. My phone is not able to produce a clear audio from that site (maybe it's the headphones), and my employer has blocked the site on the corporate network. I would love to create notched music from my collection but I haven't learned how to do that yet

28. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      what a nice boss you have, blocking this website

what i did is simple: use a program to record the sound played from a computer,
      if you want more quality you can also plug the output to the input to record it, bit simple record is enought its just simple frequencies

29. medal

medal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      What about pasting them together and notching out the frequency spectrum your tinnitus is responsive to? Would this work in the same manner as the ACRN? I still don't fully understand why you only listen to 4 tones (when you found your tinnitus tone) instead of the whole frequency spectrum with your frequency notched? Could you elaborate more on the 4 tones ACRN theory if possible?

• Like Like x 1
    30. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I'm not a fan of the 4 tone ACRN, did nothing but bad things for me. Everybody is different though so you really do have to experiment and see what works for you. I think that my main gripes were the ear canal earphones and the lack of variance. Being a musician the use of just 4 tones was irritating and they aren't musically tuned so feel unnatural to me.

I have notched out my tinnitus frequencies from the whole spectrum before but haven't done much with it. I didn't notice any immediate effects but didn't really persevere. The main problem with doing this is the same as with the 4 tone treatment, you need to reevaluate your tone/s reasonably frequently as things are likely to change.