Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation: Do It Yourself Guide

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by jibs, Apr 24, 2013.

1. medal

medal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      yeah you're right, experimenting is the key here. Though, I still don't get why only four tones are being used for cr neuromodulation instead of multiple throughout the whole frequency spectrum (20hz-20Khz and maybe beyond)? Are the sounds you made and the ACRN different in terms of synthesis? Are they focussing on the same principle?

2. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I just used musical tones for mine, rather than the way they do their calculations. It's nicer to the ears, feels more pleasant to listen to and music scales are logarithmic just as the ACRN scale is.

It's the same principle but mine just uses a load of tones, spaced in major 5ths. Seemed to work best after much self experimenting.

3. relax1
      Balanced

relax1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1980
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hello
      Can anybody help with an up to date website/app that allows one to 'create' their own tinnitus sound?
      I've tried itinnitus pro, which doesn't exist anymore
      And tinnitus solutions is not free ($67)and just offers various music selection
      I hope that playing back a real sound that matches my tinnitus will lead the brain to ignore the phantom tinnitus sound?
      Thanks relax1

4. medal

medal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Seems clear to me, thanks:) So again your files are not based on someone''s tinnitus frequency but just general?

5. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's right, they are just general. Tones are between (approximately) 100Hz and 10,oooHz. I chose it because most people can hear 10,000Hz, above that and a lot of peoples hearing has diminished. I can hear up to around 13,000Hz myself but trying to distinguish a tone at that pitch is very hard.

6. medal

medal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Makes sense. Last but not least what is you experience on notched music? Or notched white noise? Does this neuromodulation work better for you?

7. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      White noise I dislike as it makes me spike now. Didn't at first but maybe the prolonged exposure to it with WNG's did that.

I haven't tried notched music, although if I did I would stay clear of music as there often isn't much going on in the higher frequencies. Using something like a water sound that fills the frequency spectrum relatively evenly is best, unless you design music specifically for it.

Neuromodulation feels best for me in general, with the broader spectrum of tones. It's often down to personal taste though as some things will be great for one and awful for another.

8. medal

medal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Good to know. thanks for your answers

9. medal

medal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @Steve Sorry one last question on this... Why are there short breaks in between the tones? What's the purpose of this? The frequency my tinnitus is responsive to I suppose is my matching although I got a buzzing sound as well? Thanks in advance, your help has been very useful:)

10. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No problem at all.

The breaks are in line with the treatment protocol for ACRN. I believe they are part of the reset theory, that in between the tones the patches of silence are where your brain adjusts and resets, processes what it has heard.

• Like Like x 1
    11. CPTuell

CPTuell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure. Loud music/noise. Sinus infections and or medications for SI
      Hi Steve,
      If you are still doing the tones My T is 7200 HZ. If you could do one for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
      Carl

12. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Carl,

The tone synth I made didn't work out, I tried it on myself and it made me spike a little. I don't want to make any sequences with it after that but the general fuzz site is still a good option to try this and the more generic ones in the free downloads section of the main page may also help.

13. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Anyone tried this while sleeping ? Seems like the best way to get the hours in :p

• Like Like x 1
    14. CPTuell

CPTuell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure. Loud music/noise. Sinus infections and or medications for SI
      Hi Steve,
      Thanks for the reply. I totally understand. I've been to the Fuzz sight and trying the 4 set of tones, plus 72k notched pink noise and music and started taking Magnesium supplements. Have had several very low volume days. May be just a period when it comes and goes volume wise. Time will tell. Good luck on your end.

15. AlexSongitus

AlexSongitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Ok guys I didn't realize there was something similar on here, but I have found this generator on Reddit and have been using it all week. I tried the one in this thread, and it did not seem to give me the same impact so I think this is worth a shot as well. Not sure if it was worth a new thread. Perhaps someone can add it to the OP.

https://lukeusmaximus.github.io/acrn-tinnitus-treatment/

Treatment page:
      https://lukeusmaximus.github.io/acrn-tinnitus-treatment/identify-and-treat.html

I managed to use it to tone down the ring in my T, and now I'm basically left with more of a hiss, which is extremely hard to effect in any way, partly because I can't pinpoint the frequencies. Most likely composed of multiple frequencies, different in each ear.

I have been basically targeting the beginning, middle and end of any gap I noticed dropping off in one ear or another, by sliding the slider up and down and paying attention to the effects on my T. And just seeing which one gave me an immediate effect or change in my T sound. Opening 2 tabs monday night, and blasting 2 different treatments simultaneously, made me wake up with an intermittent T the next morning and I don't think it was a coincidence. Be careful with experimentation. Grateful I didn't get stuck with that one, but nice to see it can have such an effect.

When I had the ring, was easy to identify it, the hiss, not so much.

I'm also finding that ear buds are the way to go, which also happens to be what gave me T in the first place. It does nothing for me with regular over-ear headphones or speakers.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm not sure if this counts as acoustic neuromodulation, but I did a youtube search for tinnitus and noticed this guy:
      /channel/UCLAf6p8nzxgL6l3m7Zie9wg
      posting a huge amount of videos for tinnitus at every frequency range.

17. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just had a listen and it has spiked the hell out of my tinnitus. I like the synthesiser sound apart from the spike.

There may be a little confusion there as recent videos have been for hearing loss at nearly 20KHz which very few can actually hear (it's the top of the human hearing range). I'm not sure what the principle is as I can't see any explanation of it, any idea what it's meant to do?

18. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have no idea. I just noticed he was posting a ton of videos.

19. hello51

hello51 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03 / 2015
      Please 1000 HZ Sound. :)

20. RobertM

RobertM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2006
      Jib,

I wonder if I might get a copy at 5800 and 6500 Hrz.

Thanks much. I'm very curious to try this out. Appreciate your putting the effort into this.

Regards,

Robert

21. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Steve, are you referring to the Neuromod Sine 5ths.mp3 audio? I made an ACRN audio file from the generalfuzz site, 6780 frequency, and have been listening to it the last 3 days, 4 hours a day. No difference yet. Today I read this entire thread and found your audio file. It's more pleasant to listen to, but now I'm concerned that maybe it will make things worse.

Do you remember what the frequency range is for the neuromodulation files you posted?

For anyone else who gets this far in the thread, I've also been doing the notched audio therapy with violet noise for about 10 days now, several hours a day. (I can't stand white noise.) It seems to be helping a bit, not much. The problem is, my tinnitus competes to be heard. So when I listen to notched audio, the tinnitus immediately increases in volume.

22. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Cheza - no those files work for me. I made a synth in a music program that didn't work out, haven't posted anything from it. There are a few variations in the downloads section here on TT you can try (main page, just scroll down)

Roughly between 100Hz - 10kHz

For notched audio to work you need to bear in mind the frequencies in the sound you're notching. This is violet noise:
      Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 12.05.53.png
      You need to have a relatively even frequency spectrum to notch properly, keep energy across the rest of the frequencies. I'm putting together some audio files for @Louise77 (haven't forgotten about you - just been a busy spell :)) - water sounds that cover the frequencies. I can send these to you for notching if you like? Water is way nicer than white noise, which incidentally spikes my tinnitus.

23. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And one quick addition....

We don't hear all things equally. The general hearing profile of a person is roughly like this:
      Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 12.19.25.png
      To read this, for example: The bottom line, a 1000Hz tone at 10dB would sound equally loud to the human ear as a 100Hz tone at 30dB.

So the reality is that playing a noise that is equal across all frequencies isn't that equal to the human ear - add to the mix that we're all a little different and that the audio kit we use to listen with can vary considerably.

My hearing does not respond well to a constant sound, something with no interest or movement. Probably why white noise spikes me. Seem to come across many people who feel the same way too. Mine was never bad in this way until after I used WNG's for a prolonged period.

24. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Good to know. Thank you. I didn't realize you were referencing something different than the ACRN.

Aaarggh. I've been listening to violet noise for 6 hours a day because I can't stand generated white noise. My tinnitus frequency isn't low, so I figured brown noise wouldn't apply (although I like it.) Pink noise is fine, but it's said to help with sleep so I didn't want my brain waves getting too slow.

I went to mynoise.net, recorded the white rain at the settings you see, and notched at 6893. I'm attaching a composite image of the adjusted settings on the white rain noise generator and the corresponding plot spectrum in the notched audio. Is this a proper notched audio file, or have I ruined it by adjusting hi bass, mids, low treble and treble?

Sorry for all the questions. This isn't just for me, I'm writing a book and want my information to be accurate. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

lOWfOic.png

25. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's a pretty wide notch, around 4kHz to 11kHz. Would expect it to be approx 5kHz to 10kHz

It's difficult to tell about the sound, you can only take a snapshot as it's always moving. But to look at it seems pretty good, plenty happening across the spectrum. I would keep the equaliser flat so you're listening to unaltered sound but the changes you've made don't look like they'll make a world of difference.

26. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Steve, I was surprised too when I saw it. I'll increase the Q value to .8, for a narrower notch.

Thanks for the input on the spectrum settings I used in mynoise. The dials, so to speak, don't move up and down while the audio plays. Hopefully the file should be okay as-is. If they're all equal, it's just too harsh for me, even as a rain simulator.

I've been playing your neuromodulation file in a loop all day. It's really quite pleasant. What's interesting is that when I step away from the computer, the sound is heard in my head. I think I'll play the audio on speakers a few feet away instead of through earbuds, because my tinnitus is in my head and not my ears, so the masking is actually better that way. I do keep the volume below the threshold of my hearing.

For anyone reading this, there's a great little website where you can input the URL of any YouTube video you want to loop, and it will loop it infinitely, or you can set a timer for how long you want it to play.

Loop YouTube videos at http://loopvideos.com/

Steve.’s acoustic neuromodulation video on loop: http://loopvideos.com/CGwIxdaVGsY

Edited to change Q value info.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would recommend that you limit the time of listening, I feel that the brain adapts to things too easily if you give them to it constantly. And it also does get stuck in your head like you said.

Try it in 20 minute bursts, 6+ times a day. Give the brain a rest and let it process the sequence.

Of course this is only speculation on how to use it. There's a little borrowing from other guidelines of audio therapy and a little from personal experience of working on things over and over. When I make a sound / track I tend to loop it constantly to work on sounds and a sequence, something that helps me out a lot can lose its effectiveness from over exposure. Could be something to do with me however.

I'm not a fan of ear-buds, I use either open back headphones or speakers.

If you have sounds that feel bad to your ears it's the right thing to do, as long as you don't alter it too much. It still needs to be relatively equal across the frequency spectrum.

28. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Thanks for the advice. :) It was easy to listen for a long time because the tones aren't discordant, and so I just kind of worked on my project and didn't pay much attention to them. Time sort of slipped away. From now on I'll limit the exposure time to 60-minute segments.

I wasn't clear about hearing the sounds in my head. What I meant to say is that when I move about 5 feet away from the computer, I hear the tones in my head, as opposed to hearing them in my ears while sitting in front of the computer. If I leave and go into another room, then I don't hear the tones at all.

29. Leon909
      Ape-like

Leon909 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Hey I'm new to this thread. Has anyone here had a sustained (i.e. permanent) impact with CR neuromodulation?

30. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ah, now that's much better. I was a bit bothered by the idea that you were being haunted by the sounds - "can't hear my tinnitus but I can hear lots of beeps instead" sort of thing :)

• Hug Hug x 1