Akouos — A New Company Focused on Genetic Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Aaron123, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      • Informative Informative x 9
      • Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    2. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Good find Aaron! :) You are on fire lately! :eek: Keep them coming! (y)

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      • Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Here's a bit more information on Akouos. They received SBIR (small business innovation research) funding this year and are developing a minimally invasive delivery system presumably to deliver gene therapy to the inner ear: https://www.sbir.gov/sbirsearch/detail/1305311

• Like Like x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    5. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      They just keep coming man, could treating hearing loss pharmaceutically (is that a word?) be the new laser eye surgery that's a multi million or billion dollar market?

Nice find Aaron, although which will come first? Treating noise induced deafness or genetic defect deafness?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      This one looks serious. Thanks for tagging me. Looks like not many companies are targeting this? Is this different from wat audion/frequency are doing?

Hope they wil find a cure in our lifetime, for hearing loss and tinnitus. Better be soon. Untill then i hope to habituate.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    7. Enclave

Enclave Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Meh
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meh
      • Like Like x 5
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      https://cen.acs.org/business/start-ups/Akouos-raises-50-million-develop/96/web/2018/08

Yes, this is another startup that managed to attract 50 million dollars of investment.
      With their focus on genetic hearing loss, I have some misunderstandings, I will contact them.
      Probably, they focus on a new method of regeneration - viral regeneration of hearing. They hope to launch a genetically modified virus that will restore hearing.

Reference:
      Today there are 4 main directions for the possibility of regeneration of the inner ear, this is:
      1) Treatment with stem cells;
      2) Gene therapy;
      3) Cell therapy;
      4) Viral therapy.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 5
    10. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    11. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      This company is about to offer an IPO with the ticker: AKUS, if anyone is still following them.

Their AAV platform is promising for genetic hearing loss but they appear to be looking into inner ear cell (hair and possibly support cell via their website) regeneration, too.

• Like Like x 4
    12. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
    13. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Anyone else listen to their webcast?

In the foreseeable future, it looks like they are focused on genetic hearing loss. Of note, the company has apparently invented their own new surgical approach to get their drug into the cochlea uniformly (has to be done surgically with AAV drugs). Though the specifics were confusing because it sounded like he said it was an Oval window approach, then said Round Window but I believe he misspoke the second time and he meant Oval Window because he described moving the stapes footplate in the approach.

It was an interesting talk and I think the company will do well even if it's not directly applicable to most of us in the immediate future. It's obviously good to have more of this research in general, both for the millions who suffer genetic hearing loss, and because the tech may have broader applications. E.g.. The flat epithelia problem of profound long term hearing loss might be improved with something like AAV transduction (which Akouous sounds like they are leaders on) of remaining cell populations (fibroblasts). That's pretty long term though.

14. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      I haven't watched the webcast. Forgot about it. But, can you explain why this is a novel approach? Why can't we just use a needle to inject the drug to the round window (without structural compromise of and around the stapes in the oval window) and allow the drug to diffuse naturally in the cochlear medium?

I have always thought that if the drug is effective but the mechanism of delivery is the bottle neck, then there is always a surgical option, albeit quite invasive, to directly inject into the cochlea.

15. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      There
      There is a newsletter you can sign up to on their website too which they release each quarter.

6C526BAA-2A01-461C-AEE1-B9864EE12178.png

The above image is a screenshot of their various planned treatments and their current position.

While obviously they are currently focused on genetic conditions, it is clear that they have made some progress in all aspects that they are looking to treat.

I would be interested in learning whether some of their treatments might overlap and actually treat multiple conditions. Eg whether you could use the autosomal dominant disorder treatment as a substitute for the hair cell treatment or similar.

16. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Briefly, the difference is AAV is a viral vectored therapy and it needs to be directly injected into to its target rather than diffusing in.

17. wwtsai
      Assassinator

wwtsai Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild (2016) Bothersome (8/20)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNHL
      Akouos provided their 3Q 2020 financial results and some updates. Probably the most notable update is:

"Continued progress towards IND filing in 2021 to enable a Phase 1/2 clinical trial for AK-OTOF, a gene therapy intended for the treatment of hearing loss due to mutations in the OTOF gene – Through a targeted delivery of a proprietary ancestral AAV, known as AAVAnc80, containing the OTOF gene, Akouos aims to restore otoferlin expression, potentially restoring physiologic hearing and providing long-lasting benefits to individuals with OTOF-mediated hearing loss. Akouos plans to submit an IND application to the FDA in 2021 to conduct a Phase 1/2 clinical trial. The planned Phase 1/2 clinical trial consists of two parts. The first part is a dose escalation phase designed to assess the safety, tolerability and bioactivity of AK-OTOF, administered to trial participants through a single unilateral intracochlear injection. The second part is a cohort expansion phase designed to assess safety and efficacy."
      Source: https://investors.akouos.com/news-r...d-quarter-2020-financial-results-and-provides

• Like Like x 4
    18. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Akouos just released these two presentations:

https://akouos.com/wp-content/uploa...reg-R-Workshop-Presentation_Akouos_FINAL5.pdf

And

https://akouos.com/wp-content/uploa...nference-Michelle-V-Presentation_vFINAL25.pdf

Of note, they discuss their surgical method which I was really curious about. After a surgical approach, they inject directly through the round window and then vent the Stapes through fenestration. Looks interesting and gets their AAV genetic deafness drug through the entire cochlea. They propose that it's safe but would like to see the data (my guess is the Stapes is handled with very slow microdrilling).

19. wwtsai
      Assassinator

wwtsai Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild (2016) Bothersome (8/20)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNHL
      Would a method like this possibly remedy the issues other firms like Frequency Therapeutics are having with drug delivery? I know everyone's coming up with their own methods, but all of these firms attend/speak at the same conferences every year. It'd be great to see them bouncing ideas and methods off of each other to improve their own products.

20. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Theoretically, if only a surgical approach would work, this should work imo.

AAV drugs have to be applied directly into the cochlea so they can't use an intratympanic approach for genetic deafness gene therapies.

21. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      A bit of news on this company: Last October they were acquired by Eli Lilly, a large pharmaceutical company. It's interesting to see such a large player enter this space. It's also curious why they picked Akouos. Other than the delivery tech discussed here, I don't see what's so compelling - though then again, maybe it's the delivery tech that's going to make all of the difference in the future.

• Informative Informative x 3
    22. KoolKat
      Dreaming

KoolKat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone Noise induced ( BEING STUPID)
      So how many thousands of years until we get the human clinical trial results for this :sour:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    23. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      • Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 6
    24. NikoD
      English

NikoD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I was just about to post this but you beat me to it.

From Lilly's website:
      This is potentially the BIGGEST news for hearing research in human history...

I can't contain my excitement! Amazing if true, we might for the first time have a cure for sensorineural hearing loss... :woot:

The bit which sticks out to me:

• Like Like x 7
      • Winner Winner x 2
    25. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Very interesting, and heart-warming to read that said child is able to enjoy improved hearing.

Am I correct in understanding that this drug specifically targets a rare genetic disorder that's responsible for a faulty protein?

If so, what would be the impact of this development on other types of hearing loss (ther than than paving the way for further research)?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    26. Koz
      Dreaming

Koz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unilateral sensorineural hearing loss
      Massive news for sure. The hope is now they translate this to other forms of sensorineural hearing loss successfully. It's very welcome as things have been so bleak on the hearing loss front since the Frequency Therapeutics shitshow.

• Agree Agree x 4
    27. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      This did not restore any hearing. The child was born deaf. The drug addressed the faulty gene that inhibited the development of hearing during the child's development.

• Useful Useful x 1
    28. NikoD
      English

NikoD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      They used a viral vector as their delivery mechanism to inner hair cells to change genomic code (gene editing) which restored hearing. The child lacked a specific protein that enables hearing. It was not regeneration of any cells but that's no reason to be disheartened by this.

Breaking this down a bit more:

1) They (potentially) have a working delivery mechanism to inner hair cells (IHC) and there's no reason why repeat treatments won't work. One of the biggest challenges with past hearing trials has been reliable delivery. Important to mention this is gene editing and not drug delivery, though sometimes they try to achieve similar things.

2) If (a pretty big if) a scientist finds a gene which enables regeneration mechanisms, then there's already a working, approved delivery model.

I'm quite sure this is the first time hearing has been restored in anyone and, although this is a very specific disease being treated, it has potential to be adapted to help everyone in our community.

In Akouos's pipeline, there's mention of hair cell regeneration in the early stages. I'm not sure of its current status post the Lilly acquisition but maybe they already have some targets in research and development.

akouos-pipeline.png

I hope this therapy goes to plan because it'll give pharma companies the confidence to spend money in this area. The wider market for hearing therapy is just huge and waiting to be tapped and Lilly seems to be closer than anyone at this stage.

• Like x 6
      • Informative x 5
      • Agree x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    29. HighleyTall
      In pain

HighleyTall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      monitor noise trauma at gig
      How did you come to this conclusion?

30. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013 initial, worsened 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Initial Music Gig, Worsened Cinema or possible covid
      Didn't Frequency Therapeutics and CNN or someone release a video about how a deaf teacher had their hearing restored after an injection of FX-322 prior to their official trial's failure and stock plummet?

I'm sorry but I just find it impossible to get excited about or to trust anything in this area of research until there is irrefutable proof of something working repeatedly for lots and lots of people.

I mean it's great that other companies are looking at it but the reality is, it's all for nought at this stage in terms of clinical use for patients.

• Agree Agree x 2