All Things Are Possible to Him Who Believes.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Joe P. Tamborra, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm just wondering why all he does he quote the bible rather than speak his own mind?

2. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      The spirit of anti-Christ is that of this age. It is very alive and well, flourishing in fact, via the voices of those who know not the way, the truth and life that is Jesus. So many today have jumped on the bandwagons that feed them atheist propoganda and half baked refutations used countless times by others who know not the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. They spread hatred for the things of God because it is the secular theme of today, very acceptable especially within secular institutions of learning who offer only godless curriculums from where the student today rushes home to be fed by an idiot box (TV). Had they known, had they ever heard the voice of God, they would have asked Jesus for the water that will forever quench their thirst, living water that He imparts when the repentant turn from their sins and evil pronouncements with a pure heart fervently.

3. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I don't want to get into the whole religion debate in a big way, but just to throw this thought on the topic of 'propaganda' in for consideration by the religious.

A definition from Wikipedia: "Propaganda is information that is not impartial and used primarily to influence an audience and further an agenda, often by presenting facts selectively (perhaps lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis, or using loaded messages to produce an emotional rather than a rational response to the information ..."

Is there any sense in which organised religion could exist without propaganda? It is by its nature something transmitted through information that is not impartial. The surest way to transmit a religion is to get kids while they are too young to think clearly for themselves and to bring them up with that religion as an inseparable part of their worldview. Singing hymns, teaching bible stories in school...really, to call this sort of thing 'propaganda' would be understating things. It is indoctrination and without it... no religion. You don't get kids to sing hymns about science or humanism - that just isn't part of anyone's agenda.

Any preaching is surely the purest form of propaganda imaginable. It is about telling people what and how to think and behave. And it is not just information that is preached. We see Joe here preaching fear... of God and of Hell. So really it also seems to involve threats and coercion. Do atheists do that?

Most religions, and definitely Christianity preach humility, but I reckon it is fundamental to humility to respect how other people think. I have no real problem with anyone practicing a religion in a way that does not harm others. But there does seem to be some amount of hypocrisy - or at least very selective focussing - in how that is carried out by many. If you are to practice humility then you have to accept that other people's ideas and beliefs are just as valid as your own... maybe more so. And if you were to accept this, then why would you wish to convert them or make them think like you? Maybe that is the paradox in fundamentalist approaches.

Anyway, don't mean to upset anyone by this. These were just my thoughts when I saw that mention of propaganda. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Genius Genius x 2
    4. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I do not wish to insert myself into this debate. All I want to do is make a single comment. And that is to say the following ...

With all the absolute garbage that is spewed forth on the Internet day in and day out, what is the harm in every once in a while quoting the Bible, a book that might actually have something worthwhile to teach us! Especially in a thread with subject line "All Things Are Possible to Him Who Believes."

5. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I'm sure some people took my postings as an attack on religion, it wasn't. There were simply some things posted here that were not true and i wanted to clear them up.

For anyone who finds that god gives them meaning and purpose in life i'm happy for you. Dealing with T is hard enough so i can understand that some people draw strength from religion. Maybe we should keep these postings relating to how religion helps you in your life. Which i have never responded to, i think these kind of posts can be very helpful for people and help people get to a better place as far as how their T affects their daily lives. So again my posts were never against religion but the context of certain posts.

now some posts have been very irresponsible, trying to promote religion thought things like fear, lies, and the inherent elitism in some of these posts.
      That somehow moral values can only be derived for god.
      Not to mention the quite ironical statement made above about propaganda that @dboy referred to in his post. This type of religious elitism can manifest itself in very dangerous ways, and has, over and over again throughout history. When i see posts like I just mentioned. I think it would be irresponsible for me not to respond.

again maybe instead of promoting religion, posts can be made about how it has helped you deal with T. I can't speak for the other members but that's something which I never have and never would comment on in any way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe P. Tamborra
      Inspired

Joe P. Tamborra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic neuroma tumor
      nice message user id

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe P. Tamborra
      Inspired

Joe P. Tamborra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic neuroma tumor
      Appreciate the nice comment Dr, Nagler

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe P. Tamborra
      Inspired

Joe P. Tamborra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic neuroma tumor
      Astronomer, I promote the only one that I believe is capable of providing help for those of us that are suffering with this ongoing affliction called tinnitus. His name is Jesus, He is the one that created you and gave you the breath of life. He is the one who created the stars that you are so mesmerized by. I will never be silent upon this earth while I am still alive, but will forever tell of His awesome power and ability to save, heal, and deliver in accordance to His own will. Don't be offended, you speak of what you are excited by (the stars and galaxy), and I speak of who I am excited by (Jesus Christ the Savior of the world).

9. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced ( factory/rock band )
      joe, you do need a lot of jesus, you chase the young woman around here like a dog in heat !

10. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I don't really want to get into the debate either...

But if you ask me the title of the thread kind of implies that "only to who believes all things are possible", so what happens to non-believers ? Are non-believers left with less possibilities in life just because they don't believe in one monotheistic, and geographically and historically limited creed ? Are non-believers not able to help and support other sufferers just because they don't believe ?

I find this thread statement very limiting and actually "rude" to non-believers, as if non-believers will not be able to achieve all things just because they don't believe... So I can totally see why some of our non-believers members felt to respond to such statement..

I believe "All things are possible to Him who is a nice human and has good moral and ethical values, to Him who respects others independently of their creed, race or nationalities.."

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      as if non-believers will not be able to achieve all things just because they don't believe

The reality is that none of us are "able to achieve" even the first step in a walk with God. Earning God's favor has never been the beginning of any person's relationship with Jesus Christ. This truth is truly unburdening, leaving the outsider to present to the Lord nothing more than a repentant, contrite heart. He knows there is nothing he can do in and by himself to "achieve" God's gift of salvation, which is a phenomenal awakening or rebirth.

The door to this washing of the soul and quickening of spirit is repentance. What is repentance? The acknowledgement within the heart -- which is voiced -- of the person's waywardness apart from Jesus. "ALL we like sheep have gone astray. We have turned everyone to his own way," Isaiah wrote so truthfully about mankind.

Thankfully, there is an escape from that darkness or blindness that leads men and women to join the atheist bandwagons of today. It is repentance. One might ask, "If this thing is such a marvelous experience, then why aren't all the people of the world rushing for God's free gift of salvation?" Because the god of this world has blinded their eyes through all those many isms I wrote of earlier. He's got them convinced of many lies, including that there is no truth to the spiritual, and no such thing as eternity or accountability.

12. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Sorry but I still feel I do not need a "Middle Man" to understand what is right and what is wrong with this world, and I do not need to feel I am a sinner to be able to do good deeds and I surely do not need the sense of guilt embedded in monotheistic religions in order to control my behavior and give it a moral direction...

Funny how most people that become "saved" by Jesus or the Christian God were people which were not able to control their behavior to begin with... maybe instead of the Bible they needed a better education, a good psychologist and a big hug...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    13. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    14. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Just who are you going to kill?:bag:

15. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      The unbelievers!

• Funny Funny x 3
    16. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      If they like, perhaps they can start a thread called "All Things Are Possible to Him Who Doesn't Believe."

As it turns out, I myself am not a "Believer." But if a bunch of Believers want to get together in a thread on this board for the purpose of supporting each other in their beliefs and hopefully thereby lessen each others' suffering, I'm all for it. Why fluck it up and turn it into some kind of debate?

17. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Don't put words in my mouth!! I don't discriminate I hate everyone equally :sneaky:

• Funny Funny x 4
    18. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      You are a fairer person than I gave you credit for, and therefore I apologise unreservedly!

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I don't think there is a need for such thread, as non-believers do not need to indoctrinate others.. Most non-believers I know just get on with their lives, some are good, some are bad, it is just the way it is amongst non-believers, and amongst believers too I believe...

20. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Seems to me that nobody is being forced to post in this thread or even read it. If there's any indoctrination going on here, it's because some non-believer is opening that door by following the thread!

21. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hehe... good point... Then again when I read of someone including me in their prayers I find it hard not to give my opinion...

22. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Hey doc, the opening post in the thread said this below. I thought you were against people scamming t sufferers like this?

(only joking, not trying to start a fight. ;))

23. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Didn't seem like a scam to me. It was an expression of a belief.

24. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Now you know I could run with that, but in the interests of peace I'm gonna commend you for an act of empathy and understanding. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    25. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Thank you. Glad to help. Empathy and understanding are good. We could use more of it around here.

26. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Speaking as a "non-believer," when I read of somebody including me in their prayers, I am grateful that he or she cared enough about me to do it.

27. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I would too, if it doesn't become "too much"... Like this following post on the public chat...

Today at 1:46 PM - Joe P. Tamborra:
      I pray in Jesus name for all those on TT suffering from this affliction called tinnitus. I pray that today we will all experience a day filled with joy and peace. May the great God in heaven reach down into each one of our lives individually and minister to the ears of each one of us. I pray that God will have pity upon us and look down and see us in our low estate and have mercy and compassion on us. May the Lord Jesus be glorified in this forum by an answer to this prayer. Lord I ask in Jesus name to cure your servant and these people today. Please hear and answer speedily , and thank you. Amen.

Why he wants God to reach into me or have pity of me, or even more have mercy of me...? If he didn't say "All those on TT suffering..." I would not be here writing this, but as we non-believers should respect other believers, I would want the same respect from believers and not make it a "all or nothing" kind of statement or belief..

I could be a Pastafarian but I do not pray for everybody on TT to make their pasta "al dente"... :)

28. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Then by all means, if by the end of today we are all cured by this affliction, I guess I will have to re-consider most of my beliefs...

Best of luck to us all anyway, independently of our creed, race, gender, nationality...

29. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced ( factory/rock band )
      preaching, i am for that, in church that is, or, maybe just have a thread for those to go to that wish it,but most clearly it goes beyond this thread, it is scattered throughout to other thread topics to the chatbox,it would appear to me maybe someone is looking for followers to build a cult ? build an ego ?, so i think it stems out beyond the boundaries of this thread,how could people not notice !

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      "As 14 year-old Malala Yousafzai sat on a bus in the grounds of her school in Pakistan's Swat Valley, a gunman shot her in the head. After proudly claiming responsibility, the Taliban told the world that the teenage education activist's work represented "a new chapter of obscenity, and we have to finish this chapter". The "obscenity" was the education of girls.
      The Taliban felt no shame. They know that what they have done is right because their god tells them so. Gods have been used to justify almost any cruelty, from burning heretics and stoning adulterers to crucifying Jesus himself.

On the other side of the world, Anders Behring Breivik slaughtered 77 Norwegians. Breivik seems to have seen his murderous spree as a way of getting rid of Muslims, yet his 1,500-page manifesto revealed, at best, a weak attachment to religious belief. To Breivik, Christianity seems important mainly because he sees it as white. Breivik, like the devoutly religious Taliban, also appears to feel no shame.

The men who flew planes into buildings on 9/11, the Pakistanis who went on a murderous rampage in Mumbai and the Bali bombers, all killed as many people as they could in the name of their religion. Breivik did it in the name of his race. Timothy McVeigh, who killed 168 people and wounded 800, hated the government. All saw their mass murder as a political act of protest and all felt justified.

Atheists like Mao or Pol Pot have murdered millions in the name of political totalitarianism. Hitler used a quasi-mystical racist philosophy to exploit the ancient hatred of the Jews by Christians. I heard somewhere (I've never been able to discover where) that terrorism occurs when you combine a sense of military and economic inferiority with a sense of moral superiority. Religion is very good at conferring a sense of moral superiority on its followers.

Indeed, while the religious have murdered throughout history in the name of their god, I've been unable to find any evidence of atheists killing anyone in the name of atheism. Atheists are no more or less capable of evil than anyone else, but it seems that murder, particularly mass murder and war, is a sin of commission. In other words, human beings are generally only prepared to fight and kill in the name of something. It can be a god, but it can also be a political philosophy – like nazism or communism. Many fight for patriotism: for country, tribe or race. Some kill because they're psychologically disturbed, but none – so far – in the name of atheism.

So, while I don't agree that only religion causes conflict, I'd argue that all mass murder and war are fought in the name of a bigger-than-self philosophy or idea.Atheism, simply lack of belief in a god, has not yet proved compelling enough to motivate murder. So far no one has gone into a crowded public space and blown themselves up while shouting, "No god is great!".

• Agree Agree x 1