Be Honest. Do You Still Enjoy Life?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rich, Feb 27, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Rich

Rich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      few years i think
      Since having Tinnitus, can you say that you still enjoy life? Glad to be among the living? Enjoy the pleasures of the success of your hardships? or... Do you feel that you are just exsisting because you have to? Have no other choice? Want to take more drastic steps in the "other direction?"

The ringging, buzzing, static, slight ear pain still keep you in a normal daily mood? Like something you can brush off and say, "Tinnitus?... eh."

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Absolutely. My toothache is pissing me off more than the T. I fear the next anxiety attack which might come if I come of the ADs though.

The only reason I'm posting this message is to counter any negative thoughts you're having; I was uplifted and given hope by reports of "my T doesn't upset me anymore".

3. stantheman

stantheman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/25/11
      I am not enjoying life as much as I did before getting tinnitus. But I sure as hell do not want to "end it all" because of it. Who said life was a bed of roses anyway?

I am getting better slowly. I do not know if I will be as well off as I was before T but I have hope. I hope I CAN get to the point that I can say, "Tinnitus?....eh"

• Like Like x 1
    4. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Yes i can enjoy doing things. Including relaxing in the (relative) calm of a silent room. I sleep in silence just fine. I enjoy reading books. I am at the middle of "A storm of swords" by G.R.R. Martin.

At the beginnings of my tinnitus, i couldn't enjoy anything. I couldn't even concentrate on the simplest text. I thought i was finished. I was wrong. I went better with time. Without therapy or anything. Without even hoping to get better.

The volume didn't go down but the suffering and the invalidation did.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Joel

Joel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/13
      I'm really trying to enjoy it. I'm a fairly new T sufferer so i guess I am just going through the adjustment period.

Music is my life (for work and for after work fun) so the sensitivity to sound makes it a constant fight to not get depressed. I just want to play tunes and work in my studio but I am becoming more and more fearful of the consequences every time I turn on my gear (My T will really ramp up .. even when listening/playing at low levels)

As I mentioned earlier it's all still very new and I am hoping that it will go away, but in the meantime I am just trying to eat healthy and exercise to manage the stress.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      What was your strategy in the beginning that led to you improving, especially in concentration? Or did you really just do nothing?

7. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I had no real strategy. I went to useless ENT's for a short while before letting go of it. I then just assumed my life was over. Later i realized i was ameliorating. I went to the brai2n clinic shortly after it opened to avoid missing an eventual treatment. I got no concrete result.

What helped me a lot was leaving Brussels two years ago. I was living in a noisy slum. Where i am now i am at calm. Shortly after moving places i stopped taking sleep medication. Then i just noticed my concentration came back and i started reading and doing maths again.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      Thanks for the info.
      So your general life got better and then so did the T, with time. I think there is a key phrase here that I've been hearing and which has come up in an eBook I have..... 'letting go of it'.

• Like Like x 1
    9. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      In fact, i didn't decide to let it go. I just happened to be fed up with he incompetence of the average physician so i ceased to consult. They were simply useless. Then i noticed i was slightly better. Not because of letting go but because of the passing of time. Then i heard about that good neurologist. Then i heard De Ridder had a tinnitus consultation. I still ameliorated with time.

Three years after my t onset i moved to a quiet place and i realised i could enjoy the calmness in spite of the t. I jumped on the occasion to cease taking sleeping pills.

Now i enjoy my newfound peaceful life. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      Thats good news Daedalus :)

11. Joel

Joel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/13
      That's great to hear Daedalus. Thanks. The more I take care of myself (eat well, exercise, get sleep) the easier it is for me to find that same peace and "let go"

I live in Brooklyn NYC so it can be difficult to find a quiet place around here, but my wife and i just purchased a small house in the country (strange coincidence that I get tinnitus and a house in the country at the same time ;-) ...so going up there on the weekends I can totally notice the difference in the intensity of the Tinnitus.

Hope everyone has a great day today.

- J

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. mike

mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 1/2 months
      No, But I hope someday I can say I can.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes, despite T, I find myself able to enjoy life just like I did before T. The T now does not consume me 24/7 in a way that it used to. I now hear it sometimes and then I can forget about it. Some days it is louder, more noticeable and irritates me but I find I can still do the things I want to do despite this. I think since the onset of T, I have made some life changes. I eat much better. More aware of my nutrition and health. I stay active. I work 2 jobs, go to church, have a family, play basketball 3x a week and indoor soccer 2x a week.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    14. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Good post Louise. I'm one of those desperately trying to hang on.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. Rich

Rich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      few years i think
      For everyone that responded, whether it's easier for you to deal with Tinnitus or harder... Keep on keepin on. I apprecite evryone that messaged here. This is A LOT for me. For more reasons then maybe even YOU realize. Someone thats been there. Thats there right this very second. I freak out so much about so many things. I feel like I messed up. That I caused this because I didn't take care of myself. I didn't know about Tinnitus but still... How did I not think of the concequences? How did I of all people not think of the concequenxes after I've been told by my family to be careful with music and guitar or you could go deaf? I have lots of issues... My music was my escape so it was the last thing on my mind. The last thing on my mind was my music betraying me or me secretly betraying myself. I don't know what was hurting more, the tinnitus or the fact that it was all my fault having the tinnitus. Right now I'm more calm but still freaking out. For those people that don't feel they are living, well damn I'm sorry. For those who do, do this random stranger a favor and if you can find it in you, never stop helping those in need. Those people will always be out there. Always need advice. Always need a hug. Always need to feel like they are comforted knowing that everything IS gonna be alright. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    16. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Dear Rich....

HUGE BIG HUGS for you!!!!

You are wonderful.

This may be a bit sappy but what the heck.... FOR YOU....

• Like Like x 1
    17. Lisa Lindel

Lisa Lindel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2012
      Are you a Musician? Wear hearing protection for musicians. The tinnitus will just get louder if you don't.

18. Juri

Juri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Life is pretty much as enjoyable as it was before. Sometimes, especially when I'm feeling weak/tired, it scares me because it's louder but it's all temporary down moments. I still laugh at funny things and do things I love and eat ice cream :LOL: ...though my teeth would hurt. D;

• Like Like x 3
    19. Joel

Joel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/13
      Thanks Lisa. Just had some of the musician Er plugs molded and ordered! ;-)

Looking forward to it because I'm looking forward to playing some live music again. I've turned down all gigs and jamming since I got T and I'm feeling ready to move forward again (musically)

20. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27 year veteran since breaking nose at 29yrs old ,25 years T was part of my life ,last 2 years after ear Infection It Is my Life.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Vincent R
      Inspired

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I exist because once death bails me out from the daily struggle against T, anxiety, setbacks and what have you, I don't want to enter it like a quitter. That would ruin the whole point with it.

Besides, it's not like you can chose to skip out on death, anyway. It will happen eventually, simply by you doing nothing but waiting. No point in beeing in a rush.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    22. karine
      Confused

karine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      either damage to ear or head trauma
      I wont lie, I tried to end it a few times and t has ruined some good things that could havw happened in my life. I just wanted the t to stop. I lost my job because i had too much anxiety and lost my boyfriend and pretty much everything else. It was impossible for me to ignore it as much as i tried to. It was just too damn loud. I wouldnt wish this on my worse enemy. People dont understand this ilness and i think maybe someone should properly educate them. Especially that there is no known cure for t, its hard to accept it. I felt so angry at the whole world and no matter how hard i tried i just kept pushing people away. Now im all alone except for one friend that stood by me, and i dont know how to reintegrate into society. I live in a special care home and im afraid to go out. Ive had this four years and it didnt get any easier. But somehow i found this supplement that took my t away and i can get my life back, but im always in fear itll come back. And i fear its too late anyways. Ill always be alone.

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. Vincent R
      Inspired

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I found your thread about the supplement. Interesting stuff.

24. Asvalian
      Chatty

Asvalian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      25/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown at the moment, prob hearing lost/stress.
      I would say it depents on the severity of your T, I can say that T has taken a lot of the happines that I had in my life, can't go out with my friends without the fear of "maybe it gets worse", fear of going to the cinema, reducing the volume of the music I play, IDK, maybe someday I habituate to this but that doesn't count as a "cure or treatment" to me. My conclusion is: I definetly want to live, but I honestly don't know for how long I will be able to endure this crazy loud sound on my left ear. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I think i enjoy life at least 70% of the time. But the low periods arr challenging....

26. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I am new at this tinnitus stuff. I would be lying if the thoughts 'if I have to live with this forever or if it gets worse I will kill myself' didn't cross my mind at first. I'm now like 8-9 weeks in and I don't really think that anymore . I enjoy my life most days just have some challenging days or even moments in the day when the t overpowers me and I lose it. What keeps me going is my love for my kids. They are everything to me and I would never leave them. Being able to see their sweet faces everyday makes it 10x better but also slightly more challenging at times as they are SO LOUD and that makes my T flair up. But yea, most of the time I do still enjoy my life.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Despite having to cope with Sever Bilateral tinnitus and Menieres and breathing difficulties too,I do my best to enjoy life and look for the good in everyone and anything.
      Life is so special and I know at times I have to change plans till im breathing better .
      My tinnitus is challenging but I wont let my health take away my smile and laughter ...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
    28. Penate

Penate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/04/2015
      I have six months Wait so severe t Power transformer in the middle Of my head and two jets songs and both ears so hard so big I can't even think straight anymore and before six months already I can't take this anymore I'm going joy my kids no more I understand people now killing self because this condition I donor stand why is nothing to can release this condition only jesus can make the miracle please Gad Mercyi'm crying every day because remember my life before you stupid most are evilwhy is medication for everything it's not even one for this condition I'm sorry I'm be so negative today but every Christmas it was the happiest days of my life and now is the darkness only thing makes me little be happy is my kids and I waiting for a miracle.

• Hug Hug x 3
    29. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Penate,
      Stay strong and keep posting for support on the main forums and we will always be around to support you.
      Try relax and have a lovely Christmas...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    30. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      T has definately altered my happy life. After 20 months, I'm nowhere near habituation. That's just me I guess, because I've met so many people with T, including my immediate family, who all have it for various reasons and they live normal lives! Most all, managed to ignore T as time passed and moved on.

Can I get there someday? Not sure about it now? Do I enjoy life? Surely, not now, but many say, 20 months, is not enough time to heal or to even get to baseline.

Everyday, I think of ways to keep myself out of the dark hole, that T can bury us in. I stay one step ahead, of falling into that hole forever. It's a constant, daily battle and acceptance doesn't come easy.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1