Brivaracetam — KV3.1 Modulator

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Danny Boy, Apr 2, 2015.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Should be out soonish.

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      oh boy! Then we can all sign up to take dangerous drugs that almost certainly won't help us.

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Tell that to people who have epilepsy, who have to take these drugs for their entire lives.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So... what? What's the connection? Yeah, these are epilepsy drugs, they have been developed with that in mind, tested with that in mind -- and unlike tinnitus, epilepsy can kill you, so the risk:reward math is completely different. Tinnitus is not a seizure disorder.

Look at cisplatin -- here is a drug that definitely kills your cochlea, anyone who takes it is guaranteed to get severe hearing loss and probably tinnitus. Would anyone on this forum in their right mind take it? Well, no, not unless they had cancer that was going to kill them otherwise, because it's a chemotherapy drug.

This thread represents the worst, most reckless thinking that I've seen on this forum, and the fact that it continues to be in the "treatments" forum is ridiculous.

I get that desperation makes people do crazy things, but when you start messing around with extremely potent novel molecules that have only existed for a few years and have basically unknown long-term effects, the risk of ending up in a worse place than you started out just gets bigger and bigger.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hm, tinnitus can also kill you, if you have it bad enough. Nobody is forcing drugs on anyone. Also, this has been in trials for over 8 years and thus has been tested for safety. Anyway, trobalt is far more reckless than this. Also, nobody here would take cisplatin, even if they had cancer, because being deaf with tinnitus is just yes...Hell.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, in trials for 8 years, for conditions which have absolutely nothing to do with tinnitus.

I'm glad that you think an analog of this drug was helpful in your particular case, but that doesn't mean that it actually was.

No one has ever died from tinnitus. People have committed suicide as a result of untreated anxiety and depression which they experienced as a result of their tinnitus. And, you're talking about the worst 0.01% of tinnitus patients; that's not likely to be a useful or helpful metaphor for the other 99% of people.

I absolutely believe that these drugs might interact with the parts of the brain involved in tinnitus, and I think this makes them more dangerous, because until we understand how that interaction works, and develop safe and appropriate protocols, there is a non-zero chance of these drugs actually making the condition worse.

I know that you do not believe Keppra is dangerous based on your personal experience with it, but, that's just one experience. There are an absolute wealth of case studies available where people have had severe, disabling reactions to Keppra and been messed up for a long time as a result.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14741183
      1 in 12 chance of aggressive behavioral changes? Safe?

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/keppra-side-effects.html
      http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1059131107001288
      So, considering the population of people disabled by epilepsy, 1 in 20 of them elected to stop taking Keppra because of side effects.

I will spare you the horrifying anecdotal stories of people freaking out and battering their spouses and stuff, because, again, I'm more concerned with clinical data than random anecdotes.

I didn't say anyone was forcing anyone to take any drug. But, this is a forum read by desperate people who want very badly to find a way to feel better. I think having completely unproven drugs thrown around in glowing terms is dangerous. So, you are free to express your point of view, I am free to express mine, and random readers from the internet can hopefully draw their own conclusions and make reasonable decisions for themselves.

• Like Like x 1
    7. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Note: having this thread in "research news" feels much more appropriate to me, and this removes much of my vitriol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      There's no point in arguing, neither of us is about to change our mind. I take these drugs, so I can have a reduction to live. I don't want to kill myself. Thus, if mine goes back to 10/10 that's my life over. I don't know if you ever had it that bad, but I have...So I guess I'm the 0.1% you speak of. Anyway, luckily I'm ok at the moment.

People will make up their own minds about these drugs as they can read about the side-effects quite easily, it's even in the box.

• Like Like x 1
    9. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There was a time that I felt the same way, so, I know where you are coming from.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Kane Moffat
      Badass

Kane Moffat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      @dannyboy, 'soonish' in drug trial terms or 'soonish' in normal terms, like by the end of the year? It's incredible how long it takes for a drug to be approved, 8 years is such a long time, it's maddening don't you think?

11. Zechariah

Zechariah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My guess is that it will be available in some countries at H1 of this year. It's not officially approved yet but I think that approval is almost certain at this point unless something big comes up.

http://www.ucb.com/presscenter/News...ew-drug-brivaracetam-for-people-with-epilepsy

And could someone fix the title. Since Brivaracetam isn't Kv3.1 modulator.

"Brivaracetam is a selective synaptic vesicle protein 2A ligand."

12. Philip

Philip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection or noise exposure or both
      I personally feel for you guys with 10/10 level tinnitus.

In the three years I've had this horrible problem I've had a few spikes where if they had of continued I'd have lost my mind and I wouldn't like to think how that story would have ended.

Epileptic type drugs can, in the short term, reduce tinnitus but there is often a rebound when you stop taking them.

Phenibut and Gabapentin are very nice as a once off aid but don't take them them for a few days or you'll be in a much worse tinnitus hole than you started off in

That's why I worry about any medical aid, unless they find a way to reboot the ear nerve I feel that any drug will only have short term benefits.

13. muaythai

muaythai Member

brivaracetam development
      http://www.ucb.com/investors/UCB-tomorrow/brivaracetam
      epilepsy - adj. therapy POS EU
      approval (Jan 2016)
      Launch (Q1 2016)

brivaracetam
      will be launched soon, but there arent any evidence that it could stop or relieve tinnitus or KV modulator that works the same as trobalt, SF or levetiracetam.
      i am currently taking levetiracetam ( off label) spontaneously when my tinnitus could be hear even in noisy environment, it helps a bit, my spiky tinnitus soften, while it doesn't stop my consistent tinnitus that exists in quite environment ( midnight at room).

• Like Like x 1
    14. monacco

monacco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anknown
      As trobalt works on me and if really brivaracetam is more potent and less dangerous than trobalt I will take it every day, awesome :)

• Like Like x 1
    15. monacco

monacco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anknown
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. Steve Hubert

Steve Hubert Member

Tinnitus Since:
      • Informative Informative x 1
    17. Jahhsoul
      Curious

Jahhsoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/24/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown (not acute acoustic trauma).
      @Danny Boy you said that Brivaracetam is more potent and safe than Trobalt. More safe its sure, but more potent? I understood that Trobalt act on Kv7 (KCNQ2/3) channels, which are in the DCN and it helps to prevent T since they activate them, and maybe desactivate the HCN channels (they seems to be more active after acoustic-trauma).

Anyone knows the relation between T and Kv3.1, I didint read anything in previous post, just read it can reduce the activity in auditory cortex neurons. Aut0063 works on Kv3.1 channels too?

Anyway it´s a very good new.

18. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      I don't understand you people still taking example of Aut0063 that failed trials...

19. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah, you're mixing up Trobalt with Keppra. Brivaracetam is more potent than Keppra. Trobalt has nothing to do with this.

20. Jahhsoul
      Curious

Jahhsoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/24/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, if AUT0063 fails in phase I then I agree with you, but it failed in phase II due to lack of efficacy. That is a really bad new for Brivaracetam for T since it should be very very much potent because they act on same channels. Anyone knows how much more powerful it is?

21. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Brivaracetam does not act on the same channels as AUT or Trobalt.
      Read @lapidus reply above.

Also, nobody knows how "powerful" it is, since it's not even out on the market yet.

22. Jahhsoul
      Curious

Jahhsoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/24/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh sorry you are right, I though Brivaracetam act on Kv3.1 channels, but I was wrong: "Brivaracetam (UCB34714) is a novel high-affinity synaptic vesicle protein 2A (SV2A) ligand."

About the potency, it should appear on the clinical studies.

So... Anyone knows the relation between T and SV2A? o_Oo_Oo_O

PD: Edit the title if Brivaracetam doesnt act on KV3.1 channels.

23. Philip

Philip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection or noise exposure or both
      This thread smells of total nonsense.

The wholesale speculation on how this drug works in the brain, its potency compared to trobalt etc is so misleading I fear how it could influence some very desperate person in their first year of tinnitus.

The ethos of what I'm hearing here is akin to bluelight.

We all have tinnitus, some worse than others. But take a deep breath and take the time to find some good supporting links before anyone posts mere idle speculation.

I don't wanna come as a downer but please keep this in the bounds of reality ladies and gentleman.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    25. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      • Like Like x 1
    26. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      Is that function for T/H ? What is the MOA to say that ?

27. medal

medal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Anyone already trying this? Would be amazed if this acts on the kv3.1 channel. This is based on the research paper @Danny Boy has shared with us stating kv3.1 and levetiracetam or not?

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's not working on KV3.1, sadly.

29. Kyxwz
      No Mood

Kyxwz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      x
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      x
      Anyone have try this?

30. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      I also wonder if it is out yet and anyone tried this?

• Agree Agree x 1