Brivaracetam — KV3.1 Modulator

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Danny Boy, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      We waited it for working on KV3.1 but now it is out and it is working on different part of the brain.

What kind of hell is this?

2. Kyxwz
      No Mood

Kyxwz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      x
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      x
    3. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
    4. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      It's basically a really potent Keppra, from what I understand. A few of us here tried Keppra, some with success, others with horror stories. Keppra cured what H I had, which was pretty mild to begin with, and I think calmed my T a bit maybe? I'd be curious to try Briviact, just to see if it has any effect, as long as the side effects are mild. Keppra made me irritable for a while. My wife would call it Kepprage;)

5. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      "Keppra rage" is actually the "offical" term among people who use Keppra for epilepsy so she wasn't that far off ;)

6. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      LOL, no kidding! It's true, that stuff would turn me into a monster sometimes.

7. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      So, did anyone ultimately try this Brivaracetam?

8. HomeoHebbian
      Question it

HomeoHebbian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I share your frustration. Two reasons that I can see, Danny Boy: 1) There is no objective biomarker for tinnitus. Cancer : tumor, Epilepsy : seizure, tinnitus : ???. Without an objective biomarker we have no way of objectively estimating severity nor the means to gauge the efficacy of treatments; 2) Cancer biology is subsumed by the study of cellular biology. Epilepsy is the primary research focus of Neurology Departments. Tinnitus? It falls between the cracks of neuropsychiatry, neurology and otolaryngology. It takes a working knowledge of all three disciplines to understand it. No single discipline of medical sciences wants to own it.

I really believe that we will beat this thing. It is my career ambition to see that happen. I think real progress can only come from neuroscientists who are experts at understanding the nature of communication between the ear and the brain. There are a few qualified neuroscience labs who are devoting themselves to the study of tinnitus and tinnitus therapies. I wish there were a hundred laboratories but, sadly, there are less than a dozen that really understand the problem and have the means to make real progress. My laboratory is in a position to make progress and we are working hard to see that it happens.

• Like Like x 5
    9. HomeoHebbian
      Question it

HomeoHebbian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Can I be the wet blanket here and just point out that there is ZERO published connection between Kv3.1 and tinnitus? Nada. zip (at least that I know of). No clinical trial, no basic science. I understand that people are anxious but I don't really see how this news is relevant to tinnitus.

I lead some of the research studies on AUT3 for Autifony and I have collaborated and published with Kaczmarek, so I can speak with some authority here. There is a semi-plausible link to Kv3.1 and tinnitus in that >enhancing< electrical current through the Kv3.1 channel could, in theory, make the cell less excitable and be able to fire at higher rates. We have seen some encouraging findings in our lab with their compound, particularly as it relates to enhancing temporal processing (see Hidden Hearing Loss), but let's not put the cart before the horse. It's educational, interesting and informative to talk about drug therapies for tinnitus but unless I see findings from a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial I don't want to get my own hopes up by thinking of therapeutic value.

...sorry. Wet blanket. Debbie Downer.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      @HomeoHebbian brivaracetam does not work on KV3.1 channels. It binds to a protein that (hypothetically) reduces over-excited neurons. That's the official story (the company that produces the the drug claims this, at least).
      Danny Boy once mentioned that it is a potassium channel modulator, it is not. This whole thread and its title is misleading.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. morticia

morticia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably loud noise exposure
      This drug is now on the market. Have you actually been able to try it?

12. morticia

morticia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably loud noise exposure
      What were the results of the trial done with AUT00063? All I can find is a page stating that the trial was completed.

13. bobthebuilder
      No Mood

bobthebuilder Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      amitriptyline, hidden hearing loss, whiplash (?), stress (?)
      Sorry to necropost... but seems like this is the official Brivaracetam thread. Haven't seen any actual reports of people trying it so though I would give my experience. Just got an Rx last week at 50mg 2x a day. Hasn't had any effect on my tinnitus, and just made me kind of dizzy/unbalanced/feeling mildly drunk. I don't have hyperacusis though, and never previously tried Keppra, so can't tell you if it would work for that or not.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Good Question Good Question x 1