Can Tinnitus Be Cured? What Is Going to End Up Being the Cure?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Erlend, Oct 12, 2013.

1. carlos28

carlos28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      I've only been once and he just had my ears syringed in case it may be due to wax buildup yet it did nothing. I plan to go again tomorrow. One last question, do you recommend that I should still hear music from my earphones? I don't hear it that loud. Just over a half.

2. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I have no hope for a cure in our lifetime. The medical world do amazing things, every minute, of every day. But they cure very little. They can treat, but not often cure. Think about it. How often do you hear of someone going to their doctor with an illness, and being cured? Never.
      How often do you hear of someone going to the doctor with an illness and getting life long tablets to help treat the illness? All the time.
      In twenty years from now, people getting diagnosed with t, will still be talking about a cure being round the corner.
      But they will probably have a tablet which help with the t somewhat.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    3. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      i personally dont need a cure, if i would have to take a pill for the rest of my life to get very low tinnitus that i can barley hear and i can have my old life back even if i have to wear earplugs to outings, and i could sleep at night with almost complete silence where it didnt torture me and keep me awake then i would be thankful... i guess what im saying is a cure would be wonderful, but near silence would be great too!! and i look back and see all i took for granted and i would be greatful for anything at this point.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I would strongly recommend you give that a rest for a while to see if it resolves itself, I would say half volume on any headphones is too loud bro!

5. carlos28

carlos28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Thanks once again for your input man. I appreciate you taking time from your day to reply back.

6. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Your most welcome bro!:)

7. Samzen

Samzen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2012
      Just curious as to what some of you think about this. I know there's a lot of research going on with Tinnitus so either they're getting closer or still don't have a clue. I'm not to read up on all the research, have only seen some videos posted here about it.

8. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      Hi all :) just looking for a few estimates on when everyone thinks treatment will be available for T no matter the cause

Regards Cillian

9. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I can safely say it's either going to be years away at least 10 for the sake of argument.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      There will never be a single treatment for all T sub-types. Can't be.
      Each T type will have its own treatment one day (unless something happens to mankind because of some natural disaster or war) but it is not sure that this day will be during our lifetime. I personally doubt that, considering how little attention is given to the condition in our times. Only a few research projects around the world and so many severe sufferers and suicides. Unbelievable! Governments seem more interested in developing new loud weapons that they know it will cause T, rather than funding research to cure T.
      In the meantime TRT, CBT, mindfulness and habituation are presented as solutions for all T sufferers, regardless of the T volume, type of the sound, constancy or fluctuation in the volume and nr of frequencies, which is fallacy.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      The way I see it the government won't cure T,it's up to the sufferers to find the answer because all in all were basically an abandoned group of sufferers.Will we find that answer,well who knows but I remain optimistic that something good will come our way unfortunately later rather than sooner.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      I really hope there is a cure soon I just can't live like this for the rest of my life

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      There won't be Cillian,hate to say it but I remember saying to myself over and over when my T was bothering me,"Stemcell"as a way to convince myself that things will one day be good again.But the more and more I look into it the more I realise we're fighting an impossible task.I mean we have so much research going on right now but it all just seems to be ink on paper and nothing more to me at least.I've said it before and I'll say it again but until we can view inside a living cochlea it's all just going to be a guessing game.

With let's say Cancer or MS we know what the problem is,we know what causes it and we can base a treatment research strategy based on what we know.But yet as of today even though we know what causes these conditions there is still no cure even with millions of dollars dedicated to research.With T and H we don't even know what is the cause,it's still any bodies guess at this stage.Couple that with the fact that funding for research into these conditions is nothing compared to Cancer research and you quickly realise how much of a mountain we're trying to climb,a mountain I don't think we'll conquer anytime soon.Its sad but it's the harsh reality of life for us.I hope I'm wrong I really do but I think it's time to accept that no cure is coming anytime soon.

This is just my opinion and is by no means a fact,I could be very very wrong in what I said so feel free to disregard anything I say.

14. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      Whenever I think of that I just think of suicide

15. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I agree. I also realised long time ago that if I want to get cured it is only up to me, so I started long time ago to gather as much information as i can, hoping that this way I will get oriented as to what I have to do to recover.
      Unfortunately I do not think that a molecule/drug will be made during our lifetime that will cure T, or at least diminish T if taken all the time without serious side effects.
      Alternative/complementary medicine seems the only way. Chi Kung is alternative therapy, so ....good luck.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Suicide for mild T?Dont be crazy Cillian there's people out there way worse than you living life to the full!Your still new to this too so there's every chance it will go away on its own for you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      I would argue that you are asking the wrong question. To the extent that tinnitus is a symptom of some underlying pathology, then there won't be a "cure". This is no different than pain which is typically a symptom of some underlying issue yet I don't think people are looking for a "cure" for pain.

I think the right question is when will there be a treatment. On that point I agree with @Dana that there will not be a single treatment. However, it seems likely that there will be treatments available to manage this symptom. If the treatments are drugs, it will probably be the case that it will be hit and miss to try drugs to see if one works. Moreover, to the extent that researchers are able to identify and fix underlying causes, then there may be an actual cure but only by fixing the underlying issue.

• Winner Winner x 1
    18. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @Cillian
      Please do not be so pessimistic. You know what was the original cause of your T (sinus infection). I do not even know what caused mine and I am more optimistic than you.
      The infection affected your inner ear and you have significant hearing loss?

I forgot to mention that for some types of T there are treatments already, such as T caused by infections, provided the infection did not cause hearing loss, in which case we enter in another situation. But even in this situation there were cases who got cured. Please, take heart in the fact that people got cured naturally even after many years after what caused the hearing loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      It's the underlying issue that continues to be illusive that's the problem unfortunately.My T and H are noise induced but yet I have no hearing loss so that begs the question if losing hearing isn't the only trigger then what is?Something I think they will struggle to work out.

20. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      We are on the verge of a TINNITUS EPIDEMIC and headphones will be the cause.
      Use with care if at all..

21. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      I agree Tinnitus is going to become more common @jeanoroid @Dana ive no hearing loss @bill 112 its just the mood I'm in I would never go that far :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      Bloodstream nanorobotics will cure tinnitus.
      Great news for folks that will be alive after we've all gone to tinnitus heaven...

Nanobots.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    23. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @Cillian
      I've only noticed now how recent your T is. You shouldn't even be on this forum. This is for people whose T got chronical. Get out and enjoy your life, and if after many months you still have T you can return to join us.

24. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      The date is wrong on my account I've had it for nearly 3 months

25. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      There's no cure for Cancer. Parkinson's disease. Motor neurone disease. Arthritis. dementia. Diabetes. Epilepsy just to name a few the list is endless. So what are the chances for tinnitus. The bottom line is that there isn't going to be one there are far to many diseases out there that are far more important then tinnitus. Sorry to put a downer on this issue. We as sufferes just have To find our own ways of dealing with it.

26. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      You still do not qualify to read threads for T veterans. You should read the "success stories" section. There you can find accounts of people who got cured even after more than 3 months. Beware, our thoughts shape our future! If you are pessimistic that will hinder your healing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      @Dana i know where your coming from but I've been an anxiety prone person my whole life so while my T might be mild compared to other people but to me it's very severe and has completely destroyed my life

28. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Mention some disease that does not let you sleep or rest and hear your own thoughts, and then I will admit that you found a disease more important than T.
      Cancer? This is my second wish. Nr 1 is to get rid of T. If this does not happen my second wish is to get cancer.

29. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      I would give both my legs to have silence again no joke...

• Like Like x 1
    30. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not to nitpick, but I really hate it when people refer to cancer as if it was a single disease.

• Agree Agree x 1