Can Tinnitus Be Cured? What Is Going to End Up Being the Cure?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Erlend, Oct 12, 2013.

1. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I think it will be a natural cure and even something completely counterintuitive, usually is.

2. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts
      I went through my acoustic trauma at age 21, I am now 28. If I can live a productive healthy life I'm sure you can too. Life is not perfect. There is just much suffering as there is happiness and joy. My incident made me aware of the suffering that hearing loss and ear disorders cause; I was completely unaware of any of it. I am now a member of the same club I knew nothing about.

Otological treatments are lacking. There is lots in the works...work on improving your life and when the treatments make the big breaks you will become aware. Take a break from these forums and your anxiety level will lower; in turn lowering your T.

Treatments are in the pipeline. Stay positive and do what you can to alleviate both your and others suffering.

• Like Like x 1
    3. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      While I probably do not agree with the first part of your sentence, I certainly would not disagree with the 2nd half.

After my trip to the neurology clinic in Switzerland, I am keeping a more open mind, which, would include also sound suppression therapies - a class of treatments that I would otherwise have dismissed in the past.

4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Isn't your tinnitus very mild now ? - do you have to plug your ears to hear it?

5. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was speaking in general terms when I mentioned "sound suppression"; I don't use - and never have used - sound therapy, myself (except for a couple of nights in the very beginning).

When I mentioned sound suppression, I did so, not as a therapy, but as a treatment - and even potentially as a cure. Of course the research needs to be done first (a bit like the stuff the TinAway-folks are looking into). I am not saying that sound suppression will ever be the answer, but I am saying it is important to keep an open mind and explore all avenues. And thoroughly. The reason I say that is because after my trip to Switzerland and after getting (yet) another perspective on tinnitus, I realize in a sense that the more we know, the less we know. And in my case, the professor did not believe that any current (or future?) pharmacological treatment will have any effect (on me).

And yes, I am a good deal better. About 50% improved vs. baseline. But a 50% improvement also means that I have 50% remaining, so to speak. And when you start off with a tinnitus level that is in the catastrophic zone, then eliminating 50% still means you are somewhere in the mild to moderate zone...

The improvement has given me back my basic ability to function ie. sleep without meds and without waking up every bloody 1-2 hours. I sleep uninterrupted throughout the night. But then again, I guess that is also true for at least some people with more severe tinnitus (ie. some people sleep like a rock...). Some days I am a good bit better ie. 70% improved, but it "kind of" cycles. My life-long tinnitus is a bit of a tricky fish; it morphs from one type of tinnitus sound to another (from day to day). It is not loud, but nonetheless unmaskable - somehow (as if it can be "felt" more than heard, I would say).

Tinnitus is a curse straight from Hell that somehow ended up in the realm of the living.

attheedgeofscience
      08/DEC/2014.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Agreed.
      One more quick question if I may -
      If you were to break down the 50% improvement in your tinnitus, how would you break it down in terms of %age of each treatment you had, roughly speaking.

7. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      From my very own direct experience (on days with 50% improvement ie. up until say - 01/MAY/2014):

1) LLLT = 0%
      2) stem cells x 2 = 50%
      3) Flupirtine = 0%

I have no doubt that the stem cells had an effect; I experienced violent fleeting tinnitus incidents beginning approximately 2-4 weeks after the last of the injections from each of the two stem cell treatments. The incidents of fleeting tinnitus would continue for a period of about 6-8 weeks, thereafter. The incidents would come in waves of 2-3 days at a time (with perhaps 5 episodes per day) and in each case, I would slowly see an improvement in my tinnitus volume thereafter.

The above experience was a common denominator with both of my treatments. And the other two forum members of TT who attempted stem cell therapy have had identical experiences. But it is not a cure. I believe the only people who are likely to experience a +90% recovery from hearing loss and associated tinnitus using MSC stem cells are those patients who suffer from autoimmune hearing loss.

From my very own direct experience (on days with 70% improvement ie. period from 01/MAY/2014 - 01/DEC/2014):

1) LLLT = 0-20%
      2) stem cells x 2 = 50%
      3) Flupirtine = 0-20%

I will do an update with more detail a little later on within the Flupirtine thread...

• Informative Informative x 2
    8. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts

Stem cells are the future of medicine. Ten, twenty years from now who knows...the potential of this technology is only now being fully realized.

9. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Tinnitus is very complex as we all know.
      I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but there is no cure.
      The brain is heavily involved, and in the scheme of things little is known about our brain.
      My personal opinion is we are decades away from getting close to a "cure".
      Do not despair though.
      Habituation, and the return to normal life is possible, just read the success stories.
      I think habituation is the best we can hope for at this stage.
      If anyone is having trouble with habituation, keep reading on this forum and you will find the tips and hints you need to overcome this fiendish affliction.
      Remember it will take WORK to get better!

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      One of the other´s was me. And I can assure you. I got same sintoms as ATEOS. I had one night I even wake up with T on my left ear, where I never had T before. It was way louder than even the T on my "bad" tear. It take 4/5 minuts and then gone.

11. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yes there is.....LLLT did cure thounsands of people. And still does.

12. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I have not heard about LLLT curing anyone ? Not doubting you ,would love to see something about that.

13. touseefdesigner

touseefdesigner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      any good news? 2015 and still no cure for the tinnitus?
      some said..it still take 5 years... when ?

14. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      My honest opinion is, don't hold your breath for a "cure".
      There are many management tools out there now to help people cope with t until they habituate.
      I don't believe we will see a "cure" for t in my lifetime(I'm in my mid 40's).

There is hope though.

Read the success stories.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    15. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Maybe not a "cure," but the new drugs being developed will give us all peace and quiet in a few years. :)

(I still believe in habituation techniques, but they are not successful for everyone.)

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Gee do you not intend on living much past 55?

There will be at least a drug to turn the volume down, this I am certain of!

Especially now researchers and drug companies are finally moving into top gear and treating deafness and Tinnitus more seriously!

It will be sooner rather than later.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/10/b...rug-makers-attention-.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      True, a lot can happen in 5 to 10 years. If a drug is available to the public in that time frame then good.
      There is still so much that is not understood about the ear and the brain.
      I think the biggest challenge for any pharmaceutical companies will be side effects.
      Mental health Issuses and desease has been studied and treated for decades.
      Medical professionals and scientists are still learning how these medications work and what the long term effect it has on patients. The side effects on some of these drugs are devastating.

• Like Like x 1
    18. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I agree to a point, but we are forgetting that there is also allot of drugs out that mostly have no side effects at all! (Koppra is one that comes to mind).

I'm about the same age as you, (45) and in all honesty if a drug comes out and it can offer me silence, even at a cost of side effects that would end up killing me prematurely in 10 or 20 years!

I think I will seriously consider taking the silence for 20 odd years and risk dying prematurely than live like this for the next 40!

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I think we should differ a cure and treatment here. A cure means eliminating a disease completely after treating it (for example that is often the case with pneumonia). A treatment means that it will temporarily fix the problem or relieve the symptoms but probably needs to be done again or received regularly. For example, I've had arthritis, an immunological disease, for 15 years. Ive been on the same drug for 10 years and I have to take it every week. With it its almost like i dont have arthritis at all but once I stopped taking it it will come back. Also, at the moment when I look at the scientific development I think that during my lifetime I will not see a cure for arthritis. However, my current treatment is not working so they will probably come up with more treatments so Im not really desperate for a cure either.
      When I look at how far scientists are with studying the brain and ears I honestly doubt there will be the cure. But probably there will be a treatment someday and unless you forget to get it regularly it will be like having no tinnitus at all or mild tinnitus which is (from my experience) very manageable.
      Also, if the side-effects would only kill you in 10 or 20 years earlier that would all be very nice but in reality they will probably make your life feel even more like hell than it is with tinnitus and you wouldn't end up dying but would simply with with your very poor health . I doubt they would let such a dangerous drug on the market though.

• Like Like x 2
    20. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Too everyone asking if it's possible since its in the brain, http://www.memecenter.com/fun/4325803/thank-you-science.
      Observe a condition they though was unable to be cured, voila.
      What I'm trying to say is the fact that it's in the brain wasn't the reason we weren't getting any cures/treatments and so on.
      It's just that only recently companies/doctors/organizations are formed for Tinnitus.
      There will be treatments in 10+ or less years.
      Maybe there will even be a cure for some cases.
      The point is Tinnitus is far from an impossible case, it's just hard when before you had 3 companies in the entire world trying now you're getting the ball rolling, companies starting, doctor groups forming ideas flowing.
      Just a matter of time everyone, just a matter of time :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. carlos28

carlos28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Hi guys. I've had tinnitus for a week now but I'm already contemplating it might be permanent and I've been very depressed lately at the thought that I won't live my life the same. Now whenver I remember something I just recall when I didn't have tinnitus and I envy people who don't have it. My Tinnitus was not noise induced by the way and it's faint, if I'm at work I forget about it for a period of time. But I am in need of some hope. Realistically speaking how far are we from a cure?

22. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'll make it simple. If Autifony's phase 2 trial succeeds, then very close.
      If it fails, then probably we are set back a decade or two.

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Unfortunately @dan I believe, is correct!

24. carlos28

carlos28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Thanks guys. I appreciate your honest input.

25. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @carlos28 , If your T is faint where you go for periods forgetting it, then you are very lucky and I can guarantee you will habituate relatively quickly, provided you don't get Hyperacusis.

26. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      We still have trobalt...And I don't believe Charles Large would've spend time and money creating this company if he didn't know his new drug worked. Autifony will work, but they need to get rid of the hearing loss component to find more people to go on the trials...In-fact if I was doing the study I would place people in two groups, one with perfect hearing but with tinnitus and group b with hearing loss. Simple as that really.

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      2025-2030
      Patient : i have ringing in my ears
      Doctor : no big deal..take these pills..it should go away...if it doesn't, we will discuss other treatment options which will definately make it better..you will be fine !

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    28. Roger Wolf
      Arsey

Roger Wolf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1014
    29. carlos28

carlos28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      I belive I got this from a nasty cold I had a week ago. Any chance it can go away for good?

30. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yea definitely, there is a very good chance it will go, but then theirs an equally good chance that it won't so your best bet seeing it is so faint is to try and ignore it, but also give your ears a bit of a break from any noisy situation so you give it the best chance to go on it's own.

Have you been to a doctor about your Tinnitus?
      You should go quick as, if you haven't, as you maybe able to take a course of steroids which can help if T is new but you have to get onto it quickly.
      You should start taking a magnesium supplement as well, it's been shown to help with ear damage just to give you the best chance of recovering from this.